deevote

Kicking from Vilayer server IS ALLOWED.

So I decided to do some research on the whole admin abuse and reporting process. I have a public hive server on DayZ and was tired of admin abusers giving all admins a bad name. After finding a server on the DayZ Steam Discussion forums that someone reported for being kicked, I quickly remote searched the IP/port and joined..

Kicked before even getting past the spawn timer. I created an email and YouTube account specifically for the reporting of the server. Here are the results:

Steam Report:

http://i.imgur.com/00YwD1Q.png

First report:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzcp4d2gkK4

http://i.imgur.com/Fv3sVJB.png

Second Report(different server name):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wBxWx3jtOo

http://i.imgur.com/Iptpy1U.png

It's almost as if their reply is scripted, right? This server is still online today..

Note: This isn't a bash on a particular server, but to bring attention that at least one Game Server Provider isn't doing their job of enforcing the admin TOS.

• Like 1

How exactly does this help me? Did you even read the post? I'm bringing attention to the player base that you CAN be kicked from a server and nothing will be done about it. I own a server, I'm pretty familiar with the server hosting rules and reporting page.

• Like 1

With all due respect, Thumper, this sounds like a reasonably serious issue. Cookie-cutter responses don't help.

This requires additional research. If Vilayer is slow-rolling it consistently, they're effectively letting admins abuse their servers to avoid losing monthly fees. If that's the case, it needs to be corrected.

• Like 11

hi there,

i wouldnt expect the gsps to react accordingly, as they would cut their own customers. That the rules arent followed is obvious to anyone playing, it starts with the servers names. there are so many join->kick servers, even pronouncing that in the servers name... there doesnt seem to be a high risk.

@op - you are trying to raise awareness to something everybody knows. report at the dev tracker and your job is done.

greets

• Like 2

With all due respect, Thumper, this sounds like a reasonably serious issue. Cookie-cutter responses don't help.

This requires additional research. If Vilayer is slow-rolling it consistently, they're effectively letting admins abuse their servers to avoid losing monthly fees. If that's the case, it needs to be corrected.

This is a good insight. There may be a conflict of interest at work here: Server Admins are the source of income, so there's a financial dis-incentive to take punitive action against people who pay you money. Especially when you already have the money of the people who are complaining.

• Like 3

Who cares, don't play on that shit server. When we are allowed to host our own servers none of this will matter anyways

• Like 4

hi there,

i wouldnt expect the gsps to react accordingly, as they would cut their own customers. That the rules arent followed is obvious to anyone playing, it starts with the servers names. there are so many join->kick servers, even pronouncing that in the servers name... there doesnt seem to be a high risk.

@op - you are trying to raise awareness to something everybody knows. report at the dev tracker and your job is done.

greets

This is a good insight. There may be a conflict of interest at work here: Server Admins are the source of income, so there's a financial dis-incentive to take punitive action against people who pay you money. Especially when you already have the money of the people who are complaining.

and now imagine, how much the server hosters earn with dayz servers if they loose their license, just because they didn't enforce the rules bohemia interactive set (you can be sure they have a contract)

so gathering evidence of violations and the reactions could realy make a difference

i hope BI is makeing some pressure behind the scenes, and reminds the GSPs of their obligations

• Like 1

Who cares, don't play on that shit server. When we are allowed to host our own servers none of this will matter anyways

Well, the vast majority of us care, Baker. Many of us remember how it was in the mod days, and do not wish to return to that untamed wilderness.

Another major consideration is that people who pay for servers are getting the option to gear up free from harassment by other players, an option those of us who merely paid for the game do not have (unless one keeps strictly to low-population servers, a tactic generally regarded as only acceptable for newer players still learning the basics). These server admins then come onto other servers on the public hive, and they kill people. When they die, they get to gear up again on an empty server. This is an advantage. They are paying money for this advantage. But they're not supposed to be able to buy that kind of safety and then still interact with the more disadvantaged players - it's just plain dirty, and nobody respects a man who buys his way into victory.

Also, when we're allowed to host our own servers, this should still matter. To maintain a successful server, you need consistent, reasonably high population numbers. A server with less than ten concurrent players during peak hours is a dying server. As DayZ is primarily about player interaction, prospective players will naturally gravitate towards servers with more people on them (the only exceptions being when someone wants to gear up the dirty way, or perhaps play solo with a friend without being disturbed) - in this sense, servers with high consistent numbers during peak hours are self-sustaining in terms of player recruitment. There were lengthy periods in the mod days where many of the 'standard' servers were dying while those servers that promised hundreds of vehicles and massively increased loot were the only self-sustaining ones around. A player looking for a server had a choice of playing DayZ authentically but having very infrequent interactions (thus disregarding the primary draw to the game itself), or to play on a server where 'stuff' is plentiful but there are few survival considerations other than inventory management and shooting people. I think the community in general would prefer it if authentic servers were still a reasonable option.

Edited by Funkmaster Rick
  • Like 3

Not to be pedantic but nothing in those responses even remotely suggested that it was acceptable on their servers.

They were clearly template emails to send when receiving certain complaints.

Would it have been better for the reply to have said 'hey man just got your email about server x. Just got in touch with the owner and told him to stop being a douche or we'll close his server. David pike, villayer technical support.'

The owner will likely have been warned, if he breaks the tos repeatedly then he'll get banned/suspended but they won't fo it because 1 guy made a complaint. It'll take more people to make it happen quicker.

Edited by stinkenheim
  • Like 2

Rules exist for a reason.  They need to make sense, be fair, and be evenly applied and enforced.  Anything short of that encourages bad behavior.  It also doesn't do much to discourage the popular conjecture that BI and their server hosting partners only care about continued cash earnings, regardless of the state of the product.

I know it is still about halfway through alpha, but when exactly is the appropriate time to begin enforcing their own published server hosting rules?  Content and bugs, they have little control over, but administrative duties like this should be very simple to carry out; unless people are caring more about maximizing profits, than they do about facilitating the experience that their own documentation advertises.  I won't say anymore on the subject, as I had already once incurred the Wrath of Bone in this pursuit, but I do hope they realize the implications of advertising a certain experience with regard to server behavior in their own posted rules, yet apparently neglecting to see it through with any semblance of efficacy.

• Like 2

Not to be pedantic but nothing in those responses even remotely suggested that it was acceptable on their servers.

They were clearly template emails to send when receiving certain complaints.

Would it have been better for the reply to have said 'hey man just got your email about server x. Just got in touch with the owner and told him to stop being a douche or we'll close his server. David pike, villayer technical support.'

The owner will likely have been warned, if he breaks the tos repeatedly then he'll get banned/suspended but they won't fo it because 1 guy made a complaint. It'll take more people to make it happen quicker.

While I do understand what you're saying about the whole "1 guy complaint" thing, I also provided proof of two separate occasions on different days. Most people come across a server that they are kicked from and do not report it. The fact that it takes this much effort to just be that "1 guy" makes it too much of a hassle in my opinion. It would be different if I was making a complaint with no proof at all.

• Like 1

Well, the vast majority of us care, Baker. 

The vast majority of you look for something to whine about. Who cares if that terrible server kicks people, its a good metric to discover where the asshats are.

• Like 1

The vast majority of you look for something to whine about. Who cares if that terrible server kicks people, its a good metric to discover where the asshats are.

Well these asshats, as you call them, can easily gear up care free on their servers to join other public servers. I'm assuming you have some understanding of how the character persistence works from server to server on a public hive, yes? In regards to you just accusing the majority just looking for something to whine about; it's in alpha and we are testers. It's our job to point out the flaws. Seeing someone with nearly 2k posts, I'd think you would know that.

Genuinely, i don't see what the big deal is. Private servers can have their own rules enforced by an active admin team. Those of us who like to play with no rules on a public server also have our needs met. Since private servers are literally begging for players, i don't see why so much hatred for the public ones. So you get kicked once in a while, how about you go to a private server where you know pretty much what you're getting into before you get into it. I don't like hackers, but haven't really seen much of it since i've been playing tbh. How about anyone who wants rules and regulations to govern their game stick to their private servers in safety and leave pub for the scrubs who like it?

At forst i would have agreed that pub needed a "fix" of sorts. I now disagree with the statement since there are easily enough private servers for everyone to play on if they choose. Surely it's ok if some other players play the game their way on a totally different server to you?#

Let's face it you're only complaining because you are a server hopper who is annoyed at getting kicked out of the 1/50's you keep joining for risk free loot...

Edited by KenoSkir88
  • Like 1

Genuinely, i don't see what the big deal is. Private servers can have their own rules enforced by an active admin team. Those of us who like to play with no rules on a public server also have our needs met. Since private servers are literally begging for players, i don't see why so much hatred for the public ones. So you get kicked once in a while, how about you go to a private server where you know pretty much what you're getting into before you get into it. I don't like hackers, but haven't really seen much of it since i've been playing tbh. How about anyone who wants rules and regulations to govern their game stick to their private servers in safety and leave pub for the scrubs who like it?

At forst i would have agreed that pub needed a "fix" of sorts. I now disagree with the statement since there are easily enough private servers for everyone to play on if they choose. Surely it's ok if some other players play the game their way on a totally different server to you?#

Let's face it you're only complaining because you are a server hopper who is annoyed at getting kicked out of the 1/50's you keep joining for risk free loot...

Your post isn't even relevant to this discussion. You're talking about private servers with a private hive. Gear cannot carry over from a private server to another server. If I wanted to be restricted to a single server with specific rules I would do just that and join a private server, but I don't. I enjoy the ability to know that my character is free to any server I choose on the public hive and that it's not tied to the fate of a single server. If you could even read, you'd understand I joined this specific server because it was reported and to test the reporting process. Besides, what's the benefit of server hopping now? Mil loot is broken in .58. Play much, bro?

Edited by DeevoTe
  • Like 1

i think the post is most relevant to this "discussion", as private servers give you the opportunity to evade all that stuff (server abuse, duping, hopping, hacking) people are complaining about for years, just as you do now - as if it were shocking news. and imho the dayz team does a great job in fighting that stuff, e.g. hacking has been reduced significantly. Compare with bf4, a triple a title with massive financial background.

there will always be exploits and cheating, they can only be reduced or shut down temporarily. the best way to avoid exploiting and cheating players is to find a well run private hive, maybe with a compound of two or three servers - only refinement would be that exploits are limited to everyone.

i think u make the problem bigger than it is. i rarely meet obvious hacks and duper-groups (with the massive amount of loot atm duping has become somewhat senseless), and i play both private and public. the abuse u discribe is present, but to be honest there are so many empty servers that this abuse isnt really an advantage - any player can loot up on empty servers.

dont get me wrong, i dont wanna justifiy abuse. but what u are "screaming" about doesnt affect my experience that much. most of these geared up groups dont really know how to use that gear properly, making them more of a high value dynamic event and thus even raise my experience ;P

imho you are hyping in the wrong direction. report the server and the gsp an let it be.

greets

• Like 1

- stuff... -

Umm, my post was about public vs private servers and being kicked in general, and therefor entirely relevant to the conversation. Secondly, your juvenile attempt to twist what i said into your own version is both obvious and silly, go back to school.

Private servers can also be linked to each other via a private shard just like public servers are, but i'm sure you knew that too..

Military loot is not working as intended however you cannot just gear up well from the glitched officer tents. The hundreds (thousands?) of server hoppers currently jumping in and out of tent city are a living proof that i am correct and you in fact are mistaken (play.. much... bro?).

Anyway with that all sorted, my first post was a general stab at people who complain about being kicked from empty servers. These people will complain loudly about the unfairness of loot servers and being kicked from them, blissfully unaware that server hopping (yes that is why they're constantly trying to log into 1/30 servers) is just as much an exploit as a personal loot server.

I didn't quote you the first time DeevoTe because i wasn't directly speaking about you. I was casting a general opinion that is often overlooked by a few. That said you sound quite butt-hurt about server hosting in general so i still group you in with the above.

People who aren't trying to server hop don't need to join empty servers, and weirdly don't get kicked very often at all ;) Also, all the server companies operate a similar policy atm not just Vilayer.

Lastly, please don't insult my intelligence then finish by calling me "bro" and completely failing to understand what's being said to you, the irony might be too much for all of us right now and you need to sit down before you hurt yourself.

Edited by KenoSkir88
  • Like 1

ive done some time reporting servers, and killing the owners who are abusing it. 

some noobs @ nwaf restarting server every 5 mins to find loot. shot them both. told my friend on mic. "wait for it". 20 seconds later. restarts. 

ha. 

reported them to ALL server hosts. 1 by 1 they all replied saying "not our server". 1 even took 2 weeks to reply "not our server". 

the one that owned the server said "thanks for your report and they will look into it".

never seen that or 2 other servers again.

esp those who name it "dont join - restarting" .. lol 

• Like 2

I hope this changes as SMoss announced by reporting via the feedback tracker.

The problem is that BI says they are not responsible, report to the server provider.

The server provider has no interest to loose a paying customer.

So unless B.I. takes the heat to the server owners, nothing will happen. People were understandably pissed, when told by forum mods that it will not be discussed here, people should complain to the providers - basically leaving them with no space at all to voice their issues.

Now that B.I. seems to take the issue somwehat more serious, I hope things get better.

• Like 1

Umm, my post was about public vs private servers and being kicked in general, and therefor entirely relevant to the conversation. Secondly, your juvenile attempt to twist what i said into your own version is both obvious and silly, go back to school.

Private servers can also be linked to each other via a private shard just like public servers are, but i'm sure you knew that too..

Military loot is not working as intended however you cannot just gear up well from the glitched officer tents. The hundreds (thousands?) of server hoppers currently jumping in and out of tent city are a living proof that i am correct and you in fact are mistaken (play.. much... bro?).

Anyway with that all sorted, my first post was a general stab at people who complain about being kicked from empty servers. These people will complain loudly about the unfairness of loot servers and being kicked from them, blissfully unaware that server hopping (yes that is why they're constantly trying to log into 1/30 servers) is just as much an exploit as a personal loot server.

I didn't quote you the first time DeevoTe because i wasn't directly speaking about you. I was casting a general opinion that is often overlooked by a few. That said you sound quite butt-hurt about server hosting in general so i still group you in with the above.

People who aren't trying to server hop don't need to join empty servers, and weirdly don't get kicked very often at all ;) Also, all the server companies operate a similar policy atm not just Vilayer.

Lastly, please don't insult my intelligence then finish by calling me "bro" and completely failing to understand what's being said to you, the irony might be too much for all of us right now and you need to sit down before you hurt yourself.

This guy does raise a very valid point. The more you server hop on low population servers the more you'll get kicked.

• Like 1

Although i rarely play public servers any more, i think it is a valid concern that some public admins are abusing their position. If you want to have your own personal server all to yourself then pay the extra money for a private one. Instead of having a "home base" server to gear up and keep your stash and then hop around looking for pvp.

• Like 1

I used to spend a lot of time reporting admin abusers, even included video evidence.  They didn't seem to care, so I stopped bothering.  If they won't even enforce the server name rules, why would they spend time looking at video evidence to enforce their own rules.

• Like 2

I hope this changes as SMoss announced by reporting via the feedback tracker.

The problem is that BI says they are not responsible, report to the server provider.

The server provider has no interest to loose a paying customer.

So unless B.I. takes the heat to the server owners, nothing will happen. People were understandably pissed, when told by forum mods that it will not be discussed here, people should complain to the providers - basically leaving them with no space at all to voice their issues.

Now that B.I. seems to take the issue somwehat more serious, I hope things get better.

This! So much this. BIS and server providers don't force the rules enough and if they would care enough about it this wouldn't be happening that much.

What does it say when i can find 15 of these "join=kick" servers instantly with quick filtering?

rPGBNlz.jpg

• Like 7

IME this is worse in 0.58 because of the obvious concentration of high end mil loot at three (or really two...) locations. These are being heavily farmed (whatever one thinks of that) by server owners, and the consequent proportion of kicking seems higher than in previous patches.

The fundamental problem, as others say, is that the basic incentive structure is wrong here. If servers are closed, the server providers lose the income.

Edited by Mookie