philbur

No Server Hopping?

How do you guys feel about potentially binding the CLE to each server exclusively?

I find the loot hoarding at camps and the endless quest for top-end military gear is a bit annoying.

When a player starts out on a server he should be a new spawn, and only the gear he/she finds on that particular server can be used.

When you change servers you begin another new character.

What logic drives the decision to allow constant loot cycling?

Thoughts and input please and thanks!

• Like 1

How do you guys feel about potentially binding the CLE to each server exclusively?

I find the loot hoarding at camps and the endless quest for top-end military gear is a bit annoying.

When a player starts out on a server he should be a new spawn, and only the gear he/she finds on that particular server can be used.

if you feel this way, you can play "Private Hive" which has it's own loot economy and it's on character database (AKA, Hive)

basicly the possibility to switch servers if yours is full. i guess this problem will be solved in some way later in developement, as there are many easy possibilities. not doing it now might be explained as it isnt really important for developement and the sooner you release a restriction the sooner exploits are found.

private hives hab been mentioned.

greets

I do not understand why the devs would make the game so that server hopping is something ur rewarded by doing. Is the a scifi game where u have the ability to jump between parallell dimmensions?? Idint quite catch that pemise when I started playing Dayz

Yes u could always join a private server...but they are fluctuating, one day u find a perfect private server, next day its gone. Or typically one day its 1st person exclusive, next day its 3rd person enabled.

Atleast Bohemia should provide servers where u can only play with one character.

Edited by svisketyggeren
  • Like 2

Is the a scifi game where u have the ability to jump between parallell dimmensions??

I actually thought this might make an interesting premise for a game to be built around, while experiencing all the ghosting in the mod =P  Where ghosting was actually a core mechanic and balanced.

As for the topic, I think it really does more harm than good having their server setup.  There's always private hives like has been mentioned though.  At this point I can't really fault people for server hopping for loot, it's pretty much part of the game.

• Like 1

I do not understand why the devs would make the game so that server hopping is something ur rewarded by doing. Is the a scifi game where u have the ability to jump between parallell dimmensions?? Idint quite catch that pemise when I started playing Dayz

Yes u could always join a private server...but they are fluctuating, one day u find a perfect private server, next day its gone. Or typically one day its 1st person exclusive, next day its 3rd person enabled.

Atleast Bohemia should provide servers where u can only play with one character.

There are quite a few private hives, particularly in Europe, that have been around for some time. Mine has been going since January 17th (albeit with a couple IP changes, but no character wipe except official ones). If you play on a private hive it's best to make a note of their website, twitter/facebook and teamspeak so you can keep up to date if it goes down for any reason. The GSP's have a habbit of changing IP changes for routine maintenance.

I would say the best in no particular order are:

b_560_95_1.png

b_560_95_1.png

b_560_95_1.png

b_560_95_1.png

b_560_95_1.png

Or do what I did and get some friends together and create your own private hive!

• Like 2

I understand your frustration at some of the current loot mechanics. But if you have a different char on every server, you'll lose track of them pretty fast. Plus in practice the size of the game's overall database would be...large, no?

The problem with this is that when your nearly-full server empties out and your and your friend want to keep playing, you'd have to start over. Puts a big damper on lengthy gaming sessions - given that DayZ has a longer minimum playtime to enjoy a run, it would become more than a little bothersome.

Private hive should be the only hive.

Other survival games realized this, dayz needs to also.

• Like 2

What if there was a middle-ground, where characters would only be allowed to travel between a finite number of collated servers on the same shard?  Somewhere between ten and thirty seems appropriately small to be able to combat server hoppers by setting up camp in hotspots, while also providing enough room for both high and low population play.  I would also narrow down the numbers of servers one would have to search to decimate the camps of server-hopping loot-hoarding clans that ravage the coastline out of boredom and contempt for the freshspawns of Chernarus.

One of the reasons I don't like private hives is I don't want to play with the same people over and over.

One of the reasons I like the public hive, is that I can choose what time of day to play during.   With this accelerated time night goes by too quickly.  Maybe I want my entire evening's gaming session to be played during in-game night.   Public hive makes that possible.

• Like 1

This shouldn't even be a discussion—if you don't want to deal with server hoppers, pick a Private server and stick with it—problem solved.

• Like 1

This shouldn't even be a discussion—if you don't want to deal with server hoppers, pick a Private server and stick with it—problem solved.

I think you are just choosing not to accept that there could possibly be a middle ground.  Treating chunks of the public servers similarly to private shards would have a number of advantages.  Or maybe I'm looking at it all wrong, and private servers need to have more compatibility via shared shards.  I personally think that limiting the number of servers that each character can hop would do wonders for improving gameplay.  It would force people to move around the map, rather than have a near-infinite number of NWAF at their fingertips.  Hop through the ten collated servers accessible to characters on that public shard, and you then have to start playing the game as it was intended.  I know it is easy to say "play private, problem solved" but that is accepting that a large group of players is free to hop the entire public server library to cherry-pick the high end loot.  It really does degrade the public experience, because anyone who wants to play public is forced to either engage in such jackassery themselves, or to play at a marked disadvantage.  If a contractor came into your house to do some work, but did it in a way that forced him to leave you with instructions stack a pile of towels at the bottom of the door, or just live with the draft, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be happy paying for his services.  So if people still try to find ways to make server hopping more difficult, let them; just because you have resigned yourself to accepting two less than ideal options, does not mean everyone else must also. 

• Like 1

("This shouldn't even be a discussion—if you don't want to deal with server hoppers, pick a Private server and stick with it—problem solved.")

Really?

You have 2000+ posts and all you can offer is a "suck it up, buttercup" response?.

Thanks for the input dude.

Private Hive = no server hopping, great.

Public = server hopping, OK.

But it is pretty hard to understand the obsessive camp/loot hoarding either way. That was the driver behind my original post.

I can see the game becoming a base/camp raiding war as the chance of finding prime items dries up due to this.

The point of my original post was to get differing opinions on how you fellow survivors feel about hopping. Everyone (well, ALMOST everyone) has given me food for thought.

I am of the mind that the easy/lazy playstyle of server hopping is a blemish rather than a benefit.

Another question, then.

When an M4, Tent, V3S battery, Etc., leaves a server due to a hopper....when does it become "re-spawned" into that particular server?

Edited by philbur

Having a different character on every server is never going to happen. The current mechanic is entirely useless and unfit for purpose.

All that needs to do is increase the time for hopping. Each new server you join you wait 5 for the first one, 10 for the next one 15 for the next one.

People have no issue waiting to play World of tanks/warships but the amount of crap server hopping causes is enough to warrant something being done about it.

From what I remember, super rare items will only spawn on certain servers at certain times (CLE and all that) so you'll need to be able to jump servers to get this super rare item, such as things to fix high end vehicles like choppers and shit when they get implemented.

Edited by RagedDrew

alpha logic... 

Edited by sushimaster
  • Like 1

I think you are just choosing not to accept that there could possibly be a middle ground.  Treating chunks of the public servers similarly to private shards would have a number of advantages.  Or maybe I'm looking at it all wrong, and private servers need to have more compatibility via shared shards.  I personally think that limiting the number of servers that each character can hop would do wonders for improving gameplay.  It would force people to move around the map, rather than have a near-infinite number of NWAF at their fingertips.  Hop through the ten collated servers accessible to characters on that public shard, and you then have to start playing the game as it was intended.  I know it is easy to say "play private, problem solved" but that is accepting that a large group of players is free to hop the entire public server library to cherry-pick the high end loot.  It really does degrade the public experience, because anyone who wants to play public is forced to either engage in such jackassery themselves, or to play at a marked disadvantage.  If a contractor came into your house to do some work, but did it in a way that forced him to leave you with instructions stack a pile of towels at the bottom of the door, or just live with the draft, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be happy paying for his services.  So if people still try to find ways to make server hopping more difficult, let them; just because you have resigned yourself to accepting two less than ideal options, does not mean everyone else must also. 

It definitely needs to be addressed — I wasn't disputing that — and I have faith that eventually it will be. 

("This shouldn't even be a discussion—if you don't want to deal with server hoppers, pick a Private server and stick with it—problem solved.")

Really?

You have 2000+ posts and all you can offer is a "suck it up, buttercup" response?.

Thanks for the input dude.

Private Hive = no server hopping, great.

Public = server hopping, OK.

But it is pretty hard to understand the obsessive camp/loot hoarding either way. That was the driver behind my original post.

I can see the game becoming a base/camp raiding war as the chance of finding prime items dries up due to this.

The point of my original post was to get differing opinions on how you fellow survivors feel about hopping. Everyone (well, ALMOST everyone) has given me food for thought.

I am of the mind that the easy/lazy playstyle of server hopping is a blemish rather than a benefit.

Another question, then.

When an M4, Tent, V3S battery, Etc., leaves a server due to a hopper....when does it become "re-spawned" into that particular server?

You're correct! I do have 2,000+ posts, and at this point in time, my suggestion is indeed to "suck it up". This debate has been raging for the better part of two years now. Nothing in this thread is ground-breaking; as a matter of fact, every suggestion made in this thread has been brought up before in any number of threads on this very forum. If you felt like taking the time to sift through some of my posts (and could stomach the cynicism therein), you'd see that I've made many suggestions myself.

Anyhow, currently, the system isn't going to change anytime soon, so my initial advice still stands — stick to the Private servers until they finally address the issue of server-hopping.

Having a different character on every server is never going to happen. The current mechanic is entirely useless and unfit for purpose.

All that needs to do is increase the time for hopping. Each new server you join you wait 5 for the first one, 10 for the next one 15 for the next one.

People have no issue waiting to play World of tanks/warships but the amount of crap server hopping causes is enough to warrant something being done about it.

Yep, this was their original idea — do you remember when they originally implemented the five minute timer? If you connected to a server and left before you'd played there for thirty minutes, you'd receive a five minute "penalty" upon disconnecting. If you immediately connected to another server, you'd be met with a countdown. If you used the five minutes to grab a coffee, upon returning, your "penalty" would've subsided and you'd be free to connect to a server immediately.

For me, this idea worked. I'd like to see the penalty increase as you and many others have suggested for every server you hop; your suggestion of an incremental five minutes is a solid one — I don't care who the hopper is, if they're met with a additive penalty every time they change servers, they're more than likely going to hang up the server-hopping boots and play as the rest of us do. Of course, there'll be those who stick to their guns, and end up only playing for two minutes out of every twenty, but hey, you can't change everyone's mind.

• Like 3

You're correct! I do have 2,000+ posts, and at this point in time, my suggestion is indeed to "suck it up". This debate has been raging for the better part of two years now. Nothing in this thread is ground-breaking; as a matter of fact, every suggestion made in this thread has been brought up before in any number of threads on this very forum. If you felt like taking the time to sift through some of my posts (and could stomach the cynicism therein), you'd see that I've made many suggestions myself.

Dose it make any sense to tell ppl to stop discussing something just because u have already discussed it earlier?

No it dosent. If u feel everything here has been discussed before and u dont see the point talking about it further...I dont see the point in u posting here.

Stop nagging just because ppl want to discuss something u feel is old news. 

Edited by svisketyggeren
  • Like 2

Dose it make any sense to tell ppl to stop discussing something just because u have already discussed it earlier?

No it dosent. If u feel everything here has been discussed before and u dont see the point talking about it further...I dont see the point in u posting here.

Stop nagging just because ppl want to discuss something u feel is old news. 

Hah — does it make any sense for you to nag me for nagging? ;]

And for the record, I'm not nagging. I'm just making a suggestion to improve people's quality of life for the time being. Rage on, if that's what turns your crank — I certainly don't mind. I just feel the need to chime in every fifteenth thread or so pertaining to server-hopping. Forgive me my shortcomings, eh?

Yes, the current server mechanic defies logic and balance...but it's what we got and I don't think it's changing. Private hives are a better choice. This setup comes with lots of loot balance issues but it also helps push you out of your comfort server to interact with new communities.

Most other games have 1 char per server with no problems. DayZ chose the path less traveled. Since returning from my hiatus I have been playing Public...because I love being trolled by tweens and KoS'd constantly.

Also for the off chance that I meet Rick;)

Edited by 8bit_Survivor

A large percentage of paying customers like it that way.

Grimey: This is a forum. Discussing things that have already been discussed is what happens on the interwebz everyday. You should know this.

I wonder, then, if maybe Early Access is a detriment to the pure vision of the dev group? Did Rocket and Hicks originally think that server hopping would enhance gameplay? The "majority of paying customers" are paying for a dry hump...not a happy ending.... I would even welcome an exponentially-increasing rejoin timer, as mentioned earlier (by one of the non-trolling contributors to this discussion)

A large percentage of paying customers like it that way.

Grimey: This is a forum. Discussing things that have already been discussed is what happens on the interwebz everyday. You should know this.

One of the reasons I don't like private hives is I don't want to play with the same people over and over.

-snip-

This is one of the main reasons I want a large public hive.

The chance to bump into anyone.

When the game is closer to finished and server populations are higher I would like a chance to play with the most broad player base possible.

I personally think successively longer timers would be a good thing.

First hop = 5 minutes, 2nd = 10mins, 3rd = 20mins, 4th = 45mins, 5th hop = 1 hour + warning that next hop will result in ban from servers for 24 hours, 6th hop = 24hr ban.

• Like 1