Baker.

Server Hopping (Possible fix, third server option "semi-private")

Why do we have to save positional data in the hive? Wouldn't it make more sense since tents and vehicles are server specific that player positional data would be as well? Would be incentive for one to stick with a specific hive server and eliminate server hopping.

I took a quick boo around and didn't find this particular idea so feel free to merge if you found something i didnt...

Edited by B@ker
  • Like 1

Enter private shards...

• Like 1

Enter private shards...

No, private shards make you start over with a fresh character. 

• Like 1

No, private shards make you start over with a fresh character. 

Wait what. Private shards are exactly what you were just asking for. One character, one server. Yes you'd have a new character, but that's how it'd be for every server if you got your original wish...

• Like 3

Wait what. Private shards are exactly what you were just asking for. One character, one server. Yes you'd have a new character, but that's how it'd be for every server if you got your original wish...

He only wants positional data to not be stored, so you would still have your existing character, it would just be in a completely different location every time you change servers.

Personally I like to continue from where I left off regardless of which server I join so wouldn't really enjoy being put back near the coast again each time I jump on.

• Like 4

He only wants positional data to not be stored, so you would still have your existing character, it would just be in a completely different location every time you change servers.

Personally I like to continue from where I left off regardless of which server I join so wouldn't really enjoy being put back near the coast again each time I jump on.

Ohhh, that kinda makes sense, except what would happen if you logged back onto your original server? Would you be back in the old spot?

• Like 1

I wouldn't think it would have to be the coast, it would be a fairly easy to call a function that places you within a 2000 meter radius of logout point. Cause as it stands now the military loot areas may as well not even be there, if a legit player wants to attempt to loot the area, you can scout and be ever so careful only to get shot in the back when a guy logs in behind you. 

Edited by B@ker
  • Like 1

Ohhh, that kinda makes sense, except what would happen if you logged back onto your original server? Would you be back in the old spot?

Yes, server specific positional co-ords would be ideal, failing that randomize within a specific radius of say 2000m when logging into a new server. Meaning the hive can recognize that you are up north or out west but wont put you in the exact same position you left a previous hive server. These randomized co-ords would only be applied if you logged into a server fresh with no existing character data. The immersion gets completely sucked out of the game when you are at a military loot spawn and there is a steady stream of hoppers popping in and out.

All this could be accomplished with a few quick "if ____ then" statements I would think

Edited by B@ker
  • Like 1

I like this idea. It fixes server hopping and ghosting in one fell swoop. When base building is added it would fix people changing servers, walking to the middle of your camp and then switching back to your server to get past defenses. Want to raid a base in the far NW area of the map? Better be prepared to run for 20 minutes to get there...

Edit: I don't like the idea of respawning within 2km of your current position. I like the idea that your location is saved per server. When switching servers you always spawn in a fresh spawn location.

Edited by scriptfactory
  • Like 1

I like being able to logout in a safe place and then log back in while in a safe place. I don't want to log into the middle of a field somewhere or out in the open only to get jacked by zombies or players before I can even see the world..

Private hives solve ghosting and hopping.

I like being able to logout in a safe place and then log back in while in a safe place. I don't want to log into the middle of a field somewhere or out in the open only to get jacked by zombies or players before I can even see the world..

Private hives solve ghosting and hopping.

Then just log into the same server and you'll be in the same spot? 

This is DayZ. 

It will spawn your ass on a rooftop with no escape. Mark my words. 

• Like 6

Why do we have to save positional data in the hive? Wouldn't it make more sense since tents and vehicles are server specific that player positional data would be as well? Would be incentive for one to stick with a specific hive server and eliminate server hopping.

...& if the server is full?

Don't forget, we're still alpha testing. 

Edited by sushimaster

Free teleports? No thanks.

How is it a free teleport? Your position would be saved on the server you are playing.

By your logic when you join a private hive its a free teleport.

Edited by B@ker

This is DayZ. 

It will spawn your ass on a rooftop with no escape. Mark my words. 

Truer words have never been spoken lol

I don't get this. If I understand the OP correctly he wants all character-data to be in the hive BUT the positional info to be stored on server.

Am I just dumb or is this the best f**ing teleport hack ever? On one Server I'm logged out at my camp - on the other in a "hotzone" or an enemy camp. Log out to get in the camp, gear up, log back in the other server to pwn the noobs.

What do I not get that is not completely ridiculous about this suggestion?

Edited by TheMightyLC
  • Like 1

The way I understood it, your character position is still saved on the hive. If you change servers your position resets. If you log in to the last server you played on then your location persists.

Edited by scriptfactory

This is quite a radical idea. It kinda depends on how much you despise server hopping. Only, everyone that despises server hopping has private servers for that reason.

One location only would be the best way, so last server would have to get erased. Not sure if I like it not. :huh:  it would 100% eliminate server hopping. That's not too bad. Nice idea.

This would also be a successful deterrent to base building server hoppers.

It would prevent people from going to a base, server hoping, then moving forward a bit, and rejoining the server to bypass the walls.

This is quite a radical idea. It kinda depends on how much you despise server hopping. Only, everyone that despises server hopping has private servers for that reason.

One location only would be the best way, so last server would have to get erased. Not sure if I like it not. :huh:  it would 100% eliminate server hopping. That's not too bad. Nice idea.

Its not that hate server hoppers or really care other than those high loot areas of the map become useless, you can sit and scout, be ever so careful and you're most likely to run into a dude that just popped in there.

This would also be a successful deterrent to base building server hoppers.

It would prevent people from going to a base, server hoping, then moving forward a bit, and rejoining the server to bypass the walls.

Why not just enable it as a third server option? Totally private, semi private, and totally public?

I don't get this. If I understand the OP correctly he wants all character-data to be in the hive BUT the positional info to be stored on server.

Am I just dumb or is this the best f**ing teleport hack ever? On one Server I'm logged out at my camp - on the other in a "hotzone" or an enemy camp. Log out to get in the camp, gear up, log back in the other server to pwn the noobs.

I agree, this is an exploit to the system. 

Why not implement a timer with within say 35 minutes were if you hop into one server leave, go to another then come right back you position gets randomized?

Server A---->Server B---->Server A < 35 minutes = randomized position. 

Edited by B@ker

The timer part is what I was about to suggest. I don't think randomization is a good idea.

1. How about if you log out of a particular public or private server you get the normal 60 second countdown if you try rejoining in the next 5 minutes like it is now.

2. But... if you attempt to join a different public server you get a countdown timer of 15-30 minutes (whatever the devs deem approriate) before dropping into the world. Of course you can join any private hive server you hadn't just left (see #1). Whatever countdown that they decide on would also allow you to close out the game and come back (15<-30<) 16-31 minutes later, and just jump into any server you wanted.

Meaning the following:

- Rejoin the public server you just left

- Wait the 15-30 minute countdown to join another public server

- Switch to a private hive until the timer runs down

Edited by E.J.
  • Like 1

I actually like the idea of having semi-private servers that keep your character but not your position. Could come with different options (coast only, randomly all over the map, not at the coast etc.) but it should be indicated in the server list and movement on this server should not change your characters position on truely public servers as otherwise it could be exploited to get out of dangerous areas (especially with the options mentioned above).

Basically a "no hopping on our server!" option.

The timer part is what I was about to suggest. I don't think randomization is a good idea.

1. How about if you log out of a particular public or private server you get the normal 60 second countdown if you try rejoining in the next 5 minutes like it is now.

2. But... if you attempt to join a different public server you get a countdown timer of 15-30 minutes (whatever the devs deem approriate) before dropping into the world. Of course you can join any private hive server you hadn't just left (see #1). Whatever countdown that they decide on would also allow you to close out the game and come back (15<-30<) 16-31 minutes later, and just jump into any server you wanted.

Meaning the following:

- Rejoin the public server you just left

- Wait the 15-30 minute countdown to join another public server

- Switch to a private hive until the timer runs down

I believe this concept is the officially most accepted way to combat server hopping, ghosting etc. (at least here on the forums). Personally I would like to add to additional things to minimize abuse and frustration:

1. The timer gradually increases for players who switch servers shortly after the countdown has finished (up to a maximum and not logging into a new server for a few hours resets the countdown). This allows for shorter timers on average as frequent hoppers get also a cost for the frequent part.
  2. A player can always decide to wipe his own character to respawn at the beach without having to wait for the timer (and of course any frequency cost would also be reset).