boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.58 Discussion

Hello, 

Can someone here say me if the restart time change ? is it still 4h or 12h now ? thanks you

All of the 0.58 Exp servers were on a 12 hour cycle. IIRC, the devs have successfully run their internal servers for a week at a time, without any issues.

So far, the 0.58 stable servers that I've played on have all been restarting at either 3, or 4 hour intervals. I am hoping to find a few that are on a 12 hour cycle.

• Like 1

Don't be asinine. 

An zombie apocalypse won't make all the trousers and jackets magically evaporate. And I clearly posted that I had no trouble finding food or survival stuff. But when you're in a server with only fifteen people and most of the buildings you come across are completely empty, that's frankly just ridiculous. Just because it's the apocalypse doesn't mean that everyday commonplace items that are usable should just be gone nor does it mean that if I have an entire town to myself I should be bored because there's nothing to interact with or use or manage. 

And I won't even get into the gameplay issues that will arise if people still have throwaway attitudes for their characters after they play with him for forty minutes because they've found nothing worth giving their player any value. 

I seriously don't understand why people still think that just because DayZ takes place in a zombie apocalypse that for some magical reason all the usable items in an entire series of towns and cities would just magically vanish into thin air and all residential houses are devoid of anything useful or at least interactive. 

If anything, I was experiencing the exact opposite of how loot spawning should probably be. I was finding food all over the place and drinks, too...but no common household items or clothing. It was easy to survive and keep my character alive, but for what purpose? To run around without finding hardly anything else to give that player value?

The CLE does not yet have regional control over loot spawns, therefore, the loot is not evenly distributed across the map. If there is no loot in your area, you have to move to a different area, until you find what you are searching for.

• Like 2

OK, so I found a couple of Kashtan scopes last night. Both of them were damaged. I can't remember if a damaged Kashtan is usable (like a damaged hunting scope), or if it is totally useless (like a damaged PU scope). I held it in my hand and I tried to look through it, but my dopey character keeps putting his thumb over the lens!

I seem to remember that a damaged Kashtan works fine, but I just can't remember for sure. Anyone?      

-There's another thread about persistence and one owner says he has the option to restart and wipe persistence at will. The private one I picked it's working fine though.

Another jagoff mentioned he locks his private server up so he can get whatever he wants, sets up his camp and then opens the door. I expect that an idiot like that would also wipe the server so he can start all over again in the event someone kills him. 

If this is something widespread (and allowed) then it completely compromises "persistence" and undermines the integrity of the server hosts in private shards. Being able to persistence wipe (assuming anything in hand / on body / pack) at will saves a host of a private shard the trouble of server hopping in public and instead will just wipe their own server over and over again from the same location until they get what they want potentially at the expense of everyone else's stuff. 

Don't get me wrong- in this situation I can understand if a game glitch or whathaveyou wipes your stuff... that's development and I hit the red button. But if some asshole feels he pays his 80 dollars a month and that entitles him to god mode over the efforts of dozens of people who play on that server for his own gain then I'm suitably unimpressed. 

Maybe I've misunderstood- I know privates can be locked up to restrict access but this seems like an abuse of that privilege. 

Edited by ENO75
  • Like 1

very stable on a 50 person server...the guys near me in the woods were super solid..

nice to see

Another jagoff mentioned he locks his private server up so he can get whatever he wants, sets up his camp and then opens the door. I expect that an idiot like that would also wipe the server so he can start all over again in the event someone kills him.  *snip*

I saw that but like you said he's paying $80/month to be king of turd island so what do you do?

I run 2 accounts and when the kids aren't playing I kind of abuse that too when I don't trust persistence.

I would like to see that stuff locked down as possible until modding comes out and the communities can go their separate ways.

If the pve turns out to be rewarding enough for me I'll likely play on a local server by myself or with the kids when it's all said an done.

• Like 2

-snip-

That's why one of the first things I'm going to do is to set up a server for myself and few friends when the server config files get released in the interest of having a place to play wherein the integrity of the experience cannot be broken by others. Server owners could always wipe your camp, but now they have an actual reason to want to do so. If it can be abused, it will be abused. It should be recognized as a law of physics or something.

Edited by ColdAtrophy

OK, so I found a couple of Kashtan scopes last night. Both of them were damaged. I can't remember if a damaged Kashtan is usable (like a damaged hunting scope), or if it is totally useless (like a damaged PU scope). I held it in my hand and I tried to look through it, but my dopey character keeps putting his thumb over the lens!

I seem to remember that a damaged Kashtan works fine, but I just can't remember for sure. Anyone?      

Damaged is junk. you can't see through them. Throw them in the nearest fire.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 2

I saw that but like you said he's paying $80/month to be king of turd island so what do you do?

I run 2 accounts and when the kids aren't playing I kind of abuse that too when I don't trust persistence.

I would like to see that stuff locked down as possible until modding comes out and the communities can go their separate ways.

If the pve turns out to be rewarding enough for me I'll likely play on a local server by myself or with the kids when it's all said an done.

That's why one of the first things I'm going to do is to set up a server for myself and few friends when the server config files get released in the interest of having a place to play wherein the integrity of the experience cannot be broken by others. Server owners could always wipe your camp, but now they have an actual reason to want to do so. If it can be abused, it will be abused. It should be recognized as a law of physics or something.

As time progresses we really should look into circling the wagons on this initiative. Not to take the topic away from .58 (still on .58 because persistent persistence is the subject in question) but there are more than enough people looking for a place they can go where Alpha is the ONLY thing they need to worry about. 

Keep me in mind when you think the time is right. I'd be more than happy in sharing some costs. 

• Like 2

Anyone else had a primary dissappear when swapping for shouldered weapon?

Please take 2 minutes to read my entire post. I would appreciate any help/answers.

So how exactly does loot respawn? Isn't there supposed to be some sort of cleanup and clears items that are laying on the ground after a certain amount of time and new items will eventually spawn? Over the past two days that I've been playing the exact same items have been sitting on the ground at the NWAF and several surrounding cities on the server I call home. Is loot cleanup simply not working or am I not understanding the new loot system altogether?

Also, I died last night and spawned in Chernogorsk. I spent about 1 1/2 hours running from Cherno back up to the NWAF area and I found like 6 items out of roughly 50-60 buildings I searched in my trek back to the northwest. I understand that it is supposed to be more difficult to find certain things with this new CLE system, but I didn't even find anything common that was worthwhile.. 1 1/2 hours worth of travelling and I found a jacket, hat, .22 pistol and a couple cans of food. No backpacks & no decent civilian weapons (I would have been happy with damn near anything other than a single-shot .22 pistol).

Please don't take this as another person complaining about not logging in and finding a fully-kitted M4 within the first 15 minutes of playing. I am all for making it more difficult to find high-end weapons and whatnot. I absolutely hated the coastal battle-royale that was patch 0.57. I'm just curious what I am doing wrong as far as not finding anything worthwhile after hours of playing and seeing the same loot on the ground for (real world) days at a time.

If I understand what Brian Hicks said in his status report on Aug. 15th, items are supposed to stay in the world for 30 minutes. If they aren't interacted with after 30 minutes they will despawn and something else will spawn somewhere in the world to take its place. Based on my experience so far, this isn't happening.

Edited by Shooter503

maybe not so much lol, lost my jacket then lost my life on a stairs

The bug where when you spray paint an item on your weapon or the weapon itself, the attachments disappear ... well I painted the mag and it vanished. I know relogging brings it back but I wanted to try something. I didn't relog and loaded another magazine and it accepted it. But that pretty much finalizes the loss of the original one. Relogging won't put a mag on the ground or in your inventory etc.

EDIT:

Scratch that, the magazine ended up in my inventory, in a set of attachable pouches that were in my pack. Sweet.

Edited by Creamy Cowboy

Please take 2 minutes to read my entire post. I would appreciate any help/answers.

So how exactly does loot respawn? Isn't there supposed to be some sort of cleanup and clears items that are laying on the ground after a certain amount of time and new items will eventually spawn? Over the past two days that I've been playing the exact same items have been sitting on the ground at the NWAF and several surrounding cities on the server I call home. Is loot cleanup simply not working or am I not understanding the new loot system altogether?

Also, I died last night and spawned in Chernogorsk. I spent about 1 1/2 hours running from Cherno back up to the NWAF area and I found like 6 items out of roughly 50-60 buildings I searched in my trek back to the northwest. I understand that it is supposed to be more difficult to find certain things with this new CLE system, but I didn't even find anything common that was worthwhile.. 1 1/2 hours worth of travelling and I found a jacket, hat, .22 pistol and a couple cans of food. No backpacks & no decent civilian weapons (I would have been happy with damn near anything other than a single-shot .22 pistol).

Please don't take this as another person complaining about not logging in and finding a fully-kitted M4 within the first 15 minutes of playing. I am all for making it more difficult to find high-end weapons and whatnot. I absolutely hated the coastal battle-royale that was patch 0.57. I'm just curious what I am doing wrong as far as not finding anything worthwhile after hours of playing and seeing the same loot on the ground for (real world) days at a time.

If I understand what Brian Hicks said in his status report on Aug. 15th, items are supposed to stay in the world for 30 minutes. If they aren't interacted with after 30 minutes they will despawn and something else will spawn somewhere in the world to take its place. Based on my experience so far, this isn't happening.

I want to say the cleanup isn't functioning 100% any crafting waste or stuff you can put into the world from nothing like sticks, fish guts, harvested seeds seems to be getting cleaned up, discarded found loot does not or not yet. I'm watching a discarded item that's been down since Wednesday afternoon/evening and going to check it tomorrow evening to see if 3 days has any magic to it.

The initial loot put into the system seems like a lot less than we saw in exp and I'm not seeing the same respawn rate hanging out in SE corner that I did in any of the exp builds.

One thing I do if I'm going to stay in an area is turning every piece of clothing that I can into rags, then into rope and I'm not seeing the clothing get replaced in my area anywhere close to the rate I'm getting rid of it.

Civilian guns at least in the Tulga/Skalatisy area are not spawning or respawning anywhere close to what I was seeing in exp either.   

• Like 8

As time progresses we really should look into circling the wagons on this initiative. Not to take the topic away from .58 (still on .58 because persistent persistence is the subject in question) but there are more than enough people looking for a place they can go where Alpha is the ONLY thing they need to worry about. 

Keep me in mind when you think the time is right. I'd be more than happy in sharing some costs. 

Once they release the server files, I'm going to try to set up my own server here at the house. It may not end up costing much, if anything to keep it rolling. I may have to bump my internet package up a bit, but I was already kinda looking for an excuse to do that. It just depends on server hardware requirements, player count, and bandwidth requirements. 

Also, I'm told that currently GSPs basically have to throw some of their top tier servers at DayZ because of its' unoptimized nature. It may eventually be that servers become cheaper to operate even when renting.

• Like 1

*snip*

I'm confident you weren't the only person to go from Cherno to NWAF and back again... which would likely have resulted in a healthy stripping of everything. Cleanups do happen but different items have life cycles that I imagine last longer. 

I want to say the cleanup isn't functioning 100% any crafting waste or stuff you can put into the world from nothing like sticks, fish guts, harvested seeds seems to be getting cleaned up, discarded found loot does not or not yet. I'm watching a discarded item that's been down since Wednesday afternoon/evening and going to check it tomorrow evening to see if 3 days has any magic to it.

The initial loot put into the system seems like a lot less than we saw in exp and I'm not seeing the same respawn rate hanging out in SE corner that I did in any of the exp builds.

One thing I do if I'm going to stay in an area is turning every piece of clothing that I can into rags, then into rope and I'm not seeing the clothing get replaced in my area anywhere close to the rate I'm getting rid of it.

Civilian guns at least in the Tulga/Skalatisy area are not spawning or respawning anywhere close to what I was seeing in exp either.   

As much as it sucks to say so, I'm glad I'm not the only person experiencing this. I've been keeping tabs on a few items around the NWAF on the private server that I play on since Wednesday evening and so far they are still there. I have picked a few items up and dropped them in random areas in the forest surrounding the NWAF and they are still sitting there every time I wander past and check on them. Hopefully this issue with loot cleanup is something they can track down and fix without having to wait for 0.59 or another future patch. I was really looking forward to playing in 0.58, but if loot cleanup continues malfunctioning I might just have to park DayZ on the shelf again and wait for a bit longer to pick it back up. I love this game, it's just insanely frustrating.

Edited by Shooter503
  • Like 1

it appears the servers stop synchonizing sometimes. a friend just said im staying next to him eventhough i was walking away for minutes,,, yesterday i was invisible for him. i reported it

• Like 1

-snip-

I just spent the last two hours trying to get a new spawn up and running on a private server. I could not find ammo and a corresponding weapon for the life of me and I spawned at Svetlojarsk, moving through Berezki, Turovo, Karmanovka, Dubroe, and then to Novo. I was executed by some asshat in the residential area just North of the Government building in Novo. I decided to try a new approach to unknown encounters considering the fact that I had no gun. I put my hands behind my head and kneeled to show that I was no threat. (This was after the guy walked into the house I was in, didn't see me, and then I slipped out the door. He then came out after me, still not seeing me. I could've killed him with my garden hoe. Probably should have. He was 3 feet in front of me at one point.)The guy just shot me in the head. Oh well. Live and learn. 

Anyway, back on point, the loot is definitely changing but it is now impossible to know if it's the result of a bug or internal tweaking on the CLE at BI. Luckily, they have their backend setup to show them precise numbers for what items are where, so if there is a problem, they will see it.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 1

Oh god :( I think I might just have missed a goat or possibly a boar... was walking up into a forest in adrenaline and suddenly heard a wierd noise that could only resemble a goat or boar from the top of my head, also heard steps in the grass. Too bad trying to spot a running animal in a dense forest in the darkness is nearly impossible.

• Like 1

If it can be abused, it will be abused. It should be recognized as a law of physics or something.

It is already acknowledged as a law of economics and politics, and has wide social implications.  There is a wikipedia article, titled Gaming The System, which has a number of useful links in the "see also" section, which elaborate on the pervasiveness of this principle.

• Like 1

Well there's your problem right there, you spawned in arguably the most popular spawn location, and then ran to the most popular destination.  No wonder you didn't find anything along the way.  For all you know there was two people ten minutes ahead of you gobbling up all the gear  I assume you made a fairly direct course of it?  Take the road less traveled, stop and smell the flowers, the shortest distance between two points is a curve, maybe even buttonhook a little.  Works for me every time.

• Like 1

Well there's your problem right there, you spawned in arguably the most popular spawn location, and then ran to the most popular destination.  No wonder you didn't find anything along the way.  For all you know there was two people ten minutes ahead of you gobbling up all the gear  I assume you made a fairly direct course of it?  Take the road less traveled, stop and smell the flowers, the shortest distance between two points is a curve, maybe even buttonhook a little.  Works for me every time.

Actually no, I didn't make a direct line there. Like I said, I spent over an hour and a half travelling back to NWAF and searched damn near every building I came across along the way.

I want to say ....

I just wanted to say I managed to aquire a deer pelt but it won't let me combine it with garden lime at all. The garden lime was damaged but 100%. Tried putting them into the barrel and combining them again, still didnt work. Did they change that method or is it simply bugged?

I just wanted to say I managed to aquire a deer pelt but it won't let me combine it with garden lime at all. The garden lime was damaged but 100%. Tried putting them into the barrel and combining them again, still didnt work. Did they change that method or is it simply bugged?

Was bugged last time I tried in exp. Put both in the barrel, close it, you'll have an option to tan leather. 

Pleas post your results if you do.