Apollo'sFire

Found an M4, now what...

So I hopped on today to do some PVP, grabbed a makarov and a clip, killed a guy who had an M4 on his back, it has 1 bullet and fully decked out. Is there a way I can submit this particular item so the devs can perhaps trace its origins or maybe how they spawned it in? to the best of my knowledge they aren't spawning at crash sites so that leaves only one way this item came to be.......

Hicks says that the M4 is in the loot table, so the M4 is in the loot table. Period. I have no idea why people insist on arguing with him on this.

• Like 2

If your that worried about it, go to the ocean, hold it in your hands, and press and hold your throw button.

• Like 2

Hicks says that the M4 is in the loot table, so the M4 is in the loot table. Period. I have no idea why people insist on arguing with him on this.

I just don't think it's as simple as that. I'm not doubting Hicks, but there may be more to 'in the loot table' than there seems.

Even the most serious crash site hoppers in the game don't find M4s at American crash sites. This is literally hundreds of spawns. They may be 'in the loot table', but the probabilities must be so vanishingly low as to be impossible for practical purposes. One guesstimate is 100x less likely to spawn than an SVD. And SVDs are rare.

All the M4s anyone has seen are the same - OEM stocks and MagPul guards (with the occasional exception of a guard-less version). M4 stocks and guards do not spawn at all in 0.58 btw.

My guess is there may have been one or two, but that all those currently in game are duped. Perhaps there is convincing evidence of someone actually finding a spawned M4, but I've yet to see it.

• Like 1

Has anyone seen a sewing kit?  :D  the small one...

I found two but they must have been duped because they were both damaged... oh noes, what am I going to do??

Kappa

• Like 2

the probabilities must be so vanishingly low as to be impossible for practical purposes. 

Right, and what exactly is the issue there? I feel the need to point out that any RNG loot based game always has super rare items. I played BL2 for something like 45 days of in game play time and I only ever saw a handful of duped Shreddifiers and never saw quite a few super rare heads and skins. 

Furthermore, maybe the designers have a particular motive for making them crazy rare in this patch? Maybe they want to see a sample of the real world expression of low spawn values outside of an Excel simulation? Maybe the fact that the server resets rather than continually spawns new items is making the chances of them spawning artificially low due to some particular detail of how server loot is determined on initialization? I could speculate for days. No matter what the cause:

1) This game is in ongoing development. One only has to wait a short time for the loot tables to change drastically as they do even from Exp build to Exp build, let alone Stable to Stable. None of this is going to matter in just a few days when there will be some new thing that people are upset about. That will in turn no longer be even remotely relevant 4-6 weeks after that.

2) This isn't a debatable topic. This is not some vague or unknowable thing. It is binary. On/Off, True/False. Hicks says they are there so there is no "yeah, but..." It either exists in the server files and is configured to turn on or it doesn't. He's been questioned enough at this point that, even if he was wrong initially, he would have figured that out by now and done whatever he could to address it. Even if nothing else, the man is a straight shooter.

3) The biggest issue here, and one that I really hope is being looked at hard by the devs, is the possibility of new or old but undiscovered/unfixed duping exploits. That should be the PRIMARY focus. Not whether people can easily get their favorite pew pew toy to PVP on the coast. Every patch makes it more and more vital that shit like this gets stamped out.

EDIT: Also, maybe the M4s spawn in barns now. How funny would that be? 

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 3

Beautiful thing is.... they can adjust spawn rates now behind the scenes with no patch...................... so you will never really know how much or where or when.

• Like 1

There is no gun spawn hack in SA, never was...

Theres a loot vacuum where you can choose what loot across the map you want.

it's probably duped, but getting rid of it won't make anything better, if you want to keep it, keep it

with the next stable there will be a wipe anyway afaik

It's been confirmed by a person on Reddit.

Oh, well that's all good then...

I'm not arguing for them to be more common btw - just that the provenance of those in current 0.57 stable seems a little off.

There is no gun spawn hack in SA, never was...

Well, during the first 1-2 days of DayZ Standalone release there was a item spawning hack. However, it got patched and fixed incredibly fast. Not to mention they made it so it's literally impossible to do it, even the Devs can't.

• Like 1

Well, during the first 1-2 days of DayZ Standalone release there was a item spawning hack. However, it got patched and fixed incredibly fast. Not to mention they made it so it's literally impossible to do it, even the Devs can't.

That's because the server determines the items, not the client, yes?

That's because the server determines the items, not the client, yes?

Yes, they made it so cilents cannot request items and they disabled / deleted the old spawn scripts that were left in the initial release.

Edited by DJ SGTHornet

Yes, they made it so cilents cannot request items and they disabled / deleted the old spawn scripts that were left in the initial release.

Right on. That tracks with what I've read. So even if the duping is what's happening, then the server would have had to spawn an M4 in the first place to dupe from.

Right on. That tracks with what I've read. So even if the duping is what's happening, then the server would have had to spawn an M4 in the first place to dupe from.

Yes, you're correct. Plus, I just checked the server file's data and the M4s spawn.

Edit: Ok, I just checked it and the M4s can spawn with a 0.015 percent with a 0, 2, and 4 being the allowed number that can spawn. Meaning that UH1Y wrecks have a higher chance of not spawning them.

Edited by DJ SGTHornet
  • Like 2

Yes, you're correct. Plus, I just checked the server file's data and the M4s spawn.

Edit: Ok, I just checked it and the M4s can spawn with a 0.015 percent with a 0, 2, and 4 being the allowed number that can spawn. Meaning that UH1Y wrecks have a higher chance of not spawning them.

That explains it then. Thanks man. That's pretty cool. Can I ask how you can even see that data?

That can't be entirely true, given how Hicks demonstrated the Winchester prior to its release a few months back. He, and he alone, had a Winchester (which could then be looted from his dead body eventually). It was possible because the gun and its ammunition were in the files, but I have no idea how he actually spawned it into the world. I would imagine that developers have their own, higher-clearance client for the game that allows for such functions.

That can't be entirely true, given how Hicks demonstrated the Winchester prior to its release a few months back. He, and he alone, had a Winchester (which could then be looted from his dead body eventually). It was possible because the gun and its ammunition were in the files, but I have no idea how he actually spawned it into the world. I would imagine that developers have their own, higher-clearance client for the game that allows for such functions.

i guess they simply added the item through adding it in their Database manually, giving clients the ability to somehow request items from the servers would be a giant security loophole

They might have just edited his character file in the hive. 

EDIT: Just realized that's what the guy above me meant. So I agree with him. Maybe that.

Edited by ColdAtrophy