kichilron

Exp Update: 0.58 + Hot Fix.

Most of the streamers are completely annoying to me. I stopped watching Dayz streams. I guess I watched Frankie the most, but that was some time ago. It's probably from the lack of things to do,but these people can't play! They don't know how to. All they see is a weapon in their hands and all they are capable of is thinking: "I'm gonna shoot someone". It's particularly annoying for people, who play mostly solo, like myself. I can't approach any group of two or more players without knowing there will be a fight. Also, everybody tells me to put my weapon down and come out. What happened to: I go my way and you go yours, okay? 

Almost everybody has become plain sneaky and vile in this game, and I really think that has a lot to do with the zombies being no threat and no mechanics to help a "screaming" player. Those screams when someone was eaten in the mod where so intense - I often felt compelled to help. That's why I hope the infected will be the meanest mfs around when they are back up and running. These people who just want to kill others everywhere they meet, should be horde-magnets and fight for their own life, if they decide to shoot at everyone in a city. With the base-building + persistence you'd be stupid to carry your best stuff to town anyway. I usually just take a shotgun/crossbow and a pistol to town and a crafted backpack. If I find better, I can drop the stuff there. If I get killed, it is no loss. So what are people trying to kill me for? My pants and jacket? Once this becomes more obvious to people as the way to go to town and there is less good loot on us, maybe the pointless killing will stop. Maybe those griefers will have to work for their kills and follow me around to my base and actually use some brains to get me. I'm seriously fed up with everyone either running away or saying "friendly" and then shooting at me. I wanna talk to people: "Hey, seen any deer?", "Dude, there is a truck parked up there, do you have a battery? I have sparkplugs. I only want a ride!", "I have two binoculars, care to trade for a quiver and some bolts?" -> That doesn't happen any more.

Well, still happy about playing this, but people need to learn to relax a little and try to think of something else, besides squeezing the trigger.  

I know what you mean. Interactions are so dang underrated by many players. Makes you feel like you're not alone while wandering through the wastes. I especially like trading with people (though I'm not very good at it and it is usually pretty awkward). And I HAVE HAD quite a few friendly interactions on the .58 even without zombies. When I'm feeling friendly, I usually tell the other player I will put my weapon away first and then walk out into the opening. Seems to work pretty with establishing trust. Zombies should be really powerful, though. That would make people think MUCH more about whether or not they should kill the player they see ahead of them.

• Like 2

we definitely need more guns in the next patch ... :rolleyes:

that aside, I dont have the chance to play the current build, how about the bug situation? Any noticeable blockers for stable left / new?

Honestly, they are good streamers and their gameplay style is their own choice. I like the sense of doom I get knowing that there are people going to kill me without a moments hesitation. Also it's not like they are hanging out on the coast. It's pretty much all nwaf based and kos is fair game up around there imo.  tbf to break when he isn't squaded up he tends to give people a chance.

I do smile to myself watching them play exp and remembering all the 'exp has gone kos' posts on here.

Yeah that threat has to be there, and I'm digging the rush when I go across the northern airfield or miltary bases. I am prepared for battle there, as well as around any police station. But I've met people in some one-horse-villages without police stations and they shoot without warning - even though I usually see them first and try to make contact; that's just annoying. And I account that as the result of too much shooting on sight. Because by now, even I feel more compelled to shoot first, simply because otherwise the other guy will use his advantage. And with the guns being a bit laggy and combat a question of luck at the moment, you better shoot first. Without all the KOS there would be much less hostility in those "cold" zones.

On the other hand, I am usually just pissed off for a second after getting shot. I find that restarting brings some oportunities. First of all, as a bambi, you can actually dare a lot more. Just dart towards people and dance around them, either they will laugh or shoot - it doesn't matter. I've been chasing a group of people through Electro, because I kept respawning there, trying to sell them "diarhea pills". I think I was the only one having fun, because they were just shooting everything and looting people on the streets, but I kept respawning there and followed them halfway to Cherno just for shits. I faked an accent, too (Apu style) and tried to do my little "blend in with the group" game, but they caught the act and shot me again. Finally respawned somewhere near my own base and continued with my routine. So sometimes it can be more fun to die than to slavishly hang on to one life. Still, I hope people will consider playing nice outside of the hot zones and at least to attempt some kind of communication sometimes. I always feel quite happy when that happens - and so does the other guy, I believe.

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 8

I noticed I'm finding very few weapons across the area I'm in, especially high caliber ones. I hope it remains close to this when .58 hits stable.

• Like 2

Well I couldn't stay away for a week. I'm weak and just had to log in last night. More Cherno spawn after Cherno spawn. Finally got a Berezino spawn to be ko'd with one punch by an annoying mouthy kid. The fist is really overpowered and needs to be tweaked. My old guy slow reaction time didn't help. Spawned back in Cherno AGAIN so I rolled with it. Had some fun with some freshies. Met a guy with a blaze staring at a Winchester on the ground in town. All I had was a sharpened stick but I greeted him anyways. He asks what I have in my hand and after I told him a stick, he shot at me. Missed from 5 feet away. He eventually shot me so I went back for revenge but someone else got him. The Winchester was still on the floor so I picked it up and headed north. 

I had the improvised knife duplicate and erase a can of food too. 

Up north I was headed to that castle just south of Vyshnoye and ran into a herd of cattle so I took one down.  I cooked the meat in the castle. After eating 3 steaks I got the "I have a funny taste in my mouth so I ate a charcoal tablet and got no more notifications and didn't get sick. I'll test without the charcoal when I cook the last 2 steaks.  It took 3 steaks to get me from green energized to bright green energized. It used to be 1 or 2.  

My perception was that burlap sacks aren't as plentiful. I didn't see one until I got to the far north part of the map.

I played today, mainly because I wanted to check out this thing about throwing paper at walls, which someone else mentioned here earlier. It works! It's quite cool, though the paper uses some kind of box collision, which causes it to hover far away from the surface. I guess that is to prevent z-buffer fighting (flickering), but hopefully the distance can be tweaked. I wanted to try if it is possible to stick paper to a tree and use it for target practice. The first tree I tried wasn't "fat" enough, but with the bigger ones it works! Only trouble is really the huge distance between paper and object. At first I thought my bolts vanished, until I found out they are behind the paper. At least we can pin random messages to trees now ;)

non-stick tree

2015-08-22_00004_zpsee8fucpy.jpg

sticky tree!

2015-08-22_00005_zpsupcl80hh.jpg

magic paper

2015-08-22_00007_zpsherkykxp.jpg

same on walls

2015-08-22_00008_zpshz6mfuv4.jpg

I could still retrieve them. I also tried making the baseball bats with nails - oddly enough I got 11 and 12 nails out of each box today. Yesterday I got 5 and 6. You will still need to collect two boxes and a bat to craft it. Next task is going down the coast, looking for bambis to have a melee fight with. In theory, the nailed bat should cause insane amount of bloodloss, so - sorry bambis . I have to try it on someone ^^

the bat

2015-08-22_00012_zpsy5avrntf.jpg]

Also gonna look for netting next anyway, so the coast is a good place for me. After I crafted the bat, I experienced extreme lag though. I got "session lost" for the first time in ages. And whatever I put in storage takes a minute to compute now. I also got "you are spawning in 25 seconds" when I reconnected, which I thought meant I died to a glitch. However, I was there, in the spot with my gear. Pfew! -> that lagg was gone completely 15 minutes later. Might have been something else causing the problem.

Btw, I got that hunting pistol, which I always forget the name of. I see you can remove the scope now. Can you use it on any other pistols/rifles?  

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 4

Well, there is a pretty serious bug where your character keeps putting gun back into inventory over and over. It's pretty show stopping, esp. if non-friendlies are around. Besides that, the game is playing quite smoothly and is fun. It annoys me, too, when people say that modding tools are going to "save the game" or that they're "just waiting for modding tools so the game can be good

or something like that. People seem to overlook how fun this game can be and focus more on the bugs.

If by chance you have your H key bound to an action that you use frequently, say Free-Look, then your character will Drop current item.  If you have room in your inventory, then it will return to your inventory.  If you don't, then you will drop the item.

Hello shinjuru.

Since the last patch, H key is bound to "drop item" by default and cannot be unbound currently. It is an issue we are aware of (0025585) and it has been scheduled for a fix. Using other key than H until the option to unbind it is added should fix the issue.

Regards,

Geez

I blame break and sacriel. I actually lol watching their streams when they are playing exp just thinking about the reactions on this thread. I saw them kill a guy with basically very little apart from a battery and glowplug. Totally unprovoked too. Up north they don't even bandit, it's just kill everyone.

I watch them both so I may be part of the problem:D

I've only played 30 minutes and noticed no show stopping bugs. Listening to that lot though the game that they play x hours a day is totally unplayable. Oh and Rocket is going to "save dayz" once the release the modding tools apparently. (Let it go Rocket, Let it go!)

btw is everyone using -newui, I'm not getting the big fps increases everyone else seems to be getting.

I also was watching when they killed that guy with the battery and glow plug. I think the weak spot of dayz currently is that the "resource management" and "risk management" is not needed when it comes to guns and pvp. You have so much ammo that you do not need to worry about it and since there are not many zombies around the "cost" of pvp is really low. Especially when three skilled guys play in a squad. And guys like break and sacriel just play it for pvp - which is totally fine since it always has and always will be a part of dayz.

On the current exp build: I played it for some time. Did not notice any huge bugs but loot cycling unfortunately works. I don't think it's a big problem since most loot locations are not worth the time to cycle until you get what you want. But I guess we will have many people hanging around the officers tents, loot cycling until they get the m4.

-snip- All they see is a weapon in their hands and all they are capable of is thinking: "I'm gonna shoot someone". -snip- 

I've been saying pretty much this exact thing for a long time.

Countless shooters where everything that moves is a target has programmed people to "shoot the silhouette" similar to military training.

People actually have a natural psychological barrier to harming other people (unless you are a sociopath) and you need to be conditioned to pull the trigger.

This was part of the reason soldiers didn't fire their weapons in WW1 and why they adopted a silhouette target to break down this barrier.

If you have been playing shooters since before you were mentally mature (-26yrs of age) you are probably well conditioned to shoot people shaped targets without thinking.

• Like 3

Well, there is a pretty serious bug where your character keeps putting gun back into inventory over and over. It's pretty show stopping, esp. if non-friendlies are around. Besides that, the game is playing quite smoothly and is fun. It annoys me, too, when people say that modding tools are going to "save the game" or that they're "just waiting for modding tools so the game can be good

or something like that. People seem to overlook how fun this game can be and focus more on the bugs.

I'm pretty sure that bug has been remedied with the previous patch. It has not happened to me yet. Unless you mean the animation glitch, which is remedied by putting your weapon away and rearming it. And I haven't seen much of that recently either.

Edited by Creamy Cowboy

I also was watching when they killed that guy with the battery and glow plug. I think the weak spot of dayz currently is that the "resource management" and "risk management" is not needed when it comes to guns and pvp. You have so much ammo that you do not need to worry about it and since there are not many zombies around the "cost" of pvp is really low. Especially when three skilled guys play in a squad. And guys like break and sacriel just play it for pvp - which is totally fine since it always has and always will be a part of dayz.

On the current exp build: I played it for some time. Did not notice any huge bugs but loot cycling unfortunately works. I don't think it's a big problem since most loot locations are not worth the time to cycle until you get what you want. But I guess we will have many people hanging around the officers tents, loot cycling until they get the m4.

It flat out won't work. The M4 can only spawn every four hours from the last time one spawned.

• Like 11

It flat out won't work. The M4 can only spawn every four hours from the last time one spawned.

Good to know that there is a time limit guard in place!

I still think that many people will camp around the officers tents since it seems like the most logical place to get high value loot.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing since that "hot spot in the west that everybody runs to" is a design goal if I understood the plans correctly. People that do not like that hot spot can search for crash sites. Searching for heli crash sites is more time consuming but going to the officer tents has a higher risk assigned.

It looks like the pieces of loot placement/respawning start to fall into their place and the overall picture takes shape.

Had seen anyone else post this but I get a weird bug when opening and closing the lid on barrels. Sometimes the model doesn't change and I'm not able to put anything in or take it out. I believe its a desync issue but before I put this in the bug tracker I wanted to confirm if its just on my end.

yesterday was an player global banned on exp.

I love seeing that though, means something is working right and I usually will take a screenie of that kind of precious moment..

• Like 1

Yeah that threat has to be there, and I'm digging the rush when I go across the northern airfield or miltary bases. I am prepared for battle there, as well as around any police station. But I've met people in some one-horse-villages without police stations and they shoot without warning - even though I usually see them first and try to make contact; that's just annoying. And I account that as the result of too much shooting on sight. Because by now, even I feel more compelled to shoot first, simply because otherwise the other guy will use his advantage. And with the guns being a bit laggy and combat a question of luck at the moment, you better shoot first. Without all the KOS there would be much less hostility in those "cold" zones.

On the other hand, I am usually just pissed off for a second after getting shot. I find that restarting brings some oportunities. First of all, as a bambi, you can actually dare a lot more. Just dart towards people and dance around them, either they will laugh or shoot - it doesn't matter. I've been chasing a group of people through Electro, because I kept respawning there, trying to sell them "diarhea pills". I think I was the only one having fun, because they were just shooting everything and looting people on the streets, but I kept respawning there and followed them halfway to Cherno just for shits. I faked an accent, too (Apu style) and tried to do my little "blend in with the group" game, but they caught the act and shot me again. Finally respawned somewhere near my own base and continued with my routine. So sometimes it can be more fun to die than to slavishly hang on to one life. Still, I hope people will consider playing nice outside of the hot zones and at least to attempt some kind of communication sometimes. I always feel quite happy when that happens - and so does the other guy, I believe.

Yeah, sometimes getting wacked is a blessing.  I wasn't attached to my gear or anything, I was just trying for some interaction.  It was a low pop time, 8 people on, and I was just surprised to get shot out of the blue like that by someone who didn't say a word after I greeted them first.  I should have just killed the bastard I guess, but, you know, that shit just gets boring fast.  As boring as being shot out of the blue just for the hell of it.

• Like 1

Had seen anyone else post this but I get a weird bug when opening and closing the lid on barrels. Sometimes the model doesn't change and I'm not able to put anything in or take it out. I believe its a desync issue but before I put this in the bug tracker I wanted to confirm if its just on my end.

I had last time I tried to tan leather and I believe S3V3N mentioned it as well, multiple tries fixed it for me.

I got the lost gun bug last night and got it on video but my recording and editing software crashed trying to cut the clip, after watching it though I'm not sure what triggered it of if it was completely gone or not. I was carrying a pistol with no room in my pack, drinking was involved, the pistol disappeared but reappeared on the ground and my rifle poofed out of existence as far as I could tell.  

• Like 1

Just tried -newui, and it "worked" but not.  So switching back.  Lost my map and the tool bar is crazy as hell.

Good to know that there is a time limit guard in place!

I still think that many people will camp around the officers tents since it seems like the most logical place to get high value loot.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing since that "hot spot in the west that everybody runs to" is a design goal if I understood the plans correctly. People that do not like that hot spot can search for crash sites. Searching for heli crash sites is more time consuming but going to the officer tents has a higher risk assigned.

It looks like the pieces of loot placement/respawning start to fall into their place and the overall picture takes shape.

We've got long respawn timers on most everything of high value in the quonset hut. Mags, weapons, etc.

• Like 14

Dammit, I am camping this forum today. This has become my favorite place to share stories and thoughts, even on more than just Dayz! I don't know if that is great or sad, but I feel like this community is so commited to the game and everyone wants it to be fantastic - or even more fantastic, as I have to say by now :) It's just nice being here.

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 10

I've been saying pretty much this exact thing for a long time.

Countless shooters where everything that moves is a target has programmed people to "shoot the silhouette" similar to military training.

People actually have a natural psychological barrier to harming other people (unless you are a sociopath) and you need to be conditioned to pull the trigger.

This was part of the reason soldiers didn't fire their weapons in WW1 and why they adopted a silhouette target to break down this barrier.

If you have been playing shooters since before you were mentally mature (-26yrs of age) you are probably well conditioned to shoot people shaped targets without thinking.

That is a really interesting and thought out psychological analysis of KOS except I think you're confusing sociopath and psychopath a little although I guess that line is blurry. I do and have since a child had an extremely limited emotional capacity and am classified as a borderline sociopath. It's not a simple "him or me" thing I do value all life and make decisions to give myself value to others because I'm smart enough to know even if I wanted to do it myself it's easier and faster to get help to achieve goals but people stop helping you if you don't help them back.

What you said about the desensitization to young minds is spot on and why I play with my kids rather than letting them play COD deathmatch to get them out of my hair. I'm aware of a few acquaintances kids who are outright psychopaths and completely numb to the concept of consequences regarding violence other than being rewarded with the blurb of text "multi kill" or whatever filling the void that their parents inattention leaves them with. They have no problem seeing violence as a means to an end in real life from a very early age and use physical violence against say their single parents or whatever because of the conditioning provided by call of duty being their babysitter and it's scary. 

• Like 4

@Barnabus

Curious, were you just West of Zelen, within the hour or so, in the fields by the barns, heading East towards Zelen?  It was either you or the only other guy on the server.  Ran right past me, maybe 30 meters at most.

Edited by Super_Duty

The fish net trap is working well went through 2 rolls of duct tape to get some solid information.

No longer catches carp in the ocean it seems, going to try it in a pond next.

In about a dozen tries caught about 10 mackerel and 20 sardines, not sure where we're at with sardines being useful.

Stick cooked mackerel does not make you sick, junior ate it did not see if the messages still say raw fish or not..

Duct tape quantity updates properly in your inventory without having to move it in your bag to update it.

Edited by BCBasher
  • Like 4

I've only been playing for about 2 weeks or so (and only on exp) but my experiences have mostly been positive. The one time I was really just shot on sight he even said "sorry man"  before I heard the automatic gunfire and black screen (was drinking at a well). I laughed my ass off.. been good times.