kichilron

Exp Update: 0.58 + Hot Fix.

NOOOOOO!!!!!!  I needs dem for spexial somtings youse canna see yets..... 

I'm puzzled. I don't see the point in hording can openers. There was a time when I used to carry a spare, but I don't think that I've ever seen their condition degrade, so I abandoned that practice long ago. Of course, I would expect that to change in the future.

Backing up a bit, even if they were to become ruined and eventually fail, replacements (and stone knives) are readily available.

I'm puzzled. I don't see the point in hording can openers. There was a time when I used to carry a spare, but I don't think that I've ever seen their condition degrade, so I abandoned that practice long ago. Of course, I would expect that to change in the future.

Backing up a bit, even if they were to become ruined and eventually fail, replacements (and stone knives) are readily available.

I ended up making a stone knife just in case I couldn't find one. Until I learn how to cook using a stick I'm stuck eating processed foods because I've died every time I've tried cooking.

I'm surprised that more people don't use the stone knife for everything. Other than farming equipment, it's all you'll ever need (unless you need a fire that lasts more than 5 minutes).

Pickaxe + stone knife is my go-to for any equipment, though sometimes I'll carry the small hatchet in case I feel like getting some logs. Pickaxe is also great for killing zombies at the moment.

I hope that sometime they will make a craftable hoe or pickaxe so that I don't ever need to leave the wilderness after an initial loot-up, but that might be too OP.

I noticed that stone knives actually do degrade. I think I've ruined about 1 in my entire time playing SA. Usually I'm not alive long enough (or I lose whatever piece of clothing that was holding the knife) to use it enough. 

Plus it gives you 90% - 100% food from cans every time, so there's virtually no need for a can opener. Hell, you could even get 50% out of every can, as food is so plentiful right now.

Edited by tux
  • Like 1

Auto reload is mostly for guns that have a speed loader or extra mag as far as I know but I think single shot guns and chambering should have a quick option.

All that is legacy from Arma 2, which had only magazines. I think we should be able to reload weapons with "R" but under condiotion ammo is in top layer of clothes, like only in pants or vest (if you dont have it than jacket). Reloading loose rounds that are on bottom of your backpack shouldnt be posible. 

Reloading loose rounds that are on bottom of your backpack shouldnt be posible. 

With the new UI, I figured that stopping while using your inventory was an early iteration of forcing you to stop while searching certain containers, maybe with an animation as well. 

I understand being able to quick-check pants, shirts, even vests while running. I can usually tell whats in my pockets without much delay, though four consecutive slots is a bit different from four individual pockets in your jeans.

Then again, I usually spend long runs through the wilderness shuffling around the items in my backpack. Maybe the addition of a more complex stamina system (not allowing for perma-sprint) and respawning loot will do away with some of these cross country treks. 

Edited by tux

With the new UI, I figured that stopping while using your inventory was an early iteration of forcing you to stop while searching certain containers, maybe with an animation as well. 

I understand being able to quick-check pants, shirts, even vests while running. I can usually tell whats in my pockets without much delay, though four consecutive slots is a bit different from four individual pockets in your jeans.

Then again, I usually spend long runs through the wilderness shuffling around the items in my backpack. Maybe the addition of a more complex stamina system (not allowing for perma-sprint) and respawning loot will do away with some of these cross country treks. 

In a game called space station 13 if you have a container inside of a larger container (like a pot inside a backpack) then you can check the contents of the smaller container, but in order to remove items from it you must first remove it from the larger container. I makes it so you don't need to unpack everything to find what you're looking for, but still requires you to take the extra step of removing it from the larger container. Perhaps this could be the way...

Edited by FlimFlamm

I ended up making a stone knife just in case I couldn't find one. Until I learn how to cook using a stick I'm stuck eating processed foods because I've died every time I've tried cooking.

The stick is dead simple and pretty intuitive. Poke your food onto the end of the stick, With the stick in hand, move towards the fire. You'll get a prompt to cook your food over the fire. Nothing to it.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that more people don't use the stone knife for everything. Other than farming equipment, it's all you'll ever need (unless you need a fire that lasts more than 5 minutes).

Pickaxe + stone knife is my go-to for any equipment, though sometimes I'll carry the small hatchet in case I feel like getting some logs. Pickaxe is also great for killing zombies at the moment.

I hope that sometime they will make a craftable hoe or pickaxe so that I don't ever need to leave the wilderness after an initial loot-up, but that might be too OP.

I noticed that stone knives actually do degrade. I think I've ruined about 1 in my entire time playing SA. Usually I'm not alive long enough (or I lose whatever piece of clothing that was holding the knife) to use it enough. 

Plus it gives you 90% - 100% food from cans every time, so there's virtually no need for a can opener. Hell, you could even get 50% out of every can, as food is so plentiful right now.

As a fresh spawn I'm happy to carry a sledge, an ax, or a pick ax. They are all awesome melee weapons. But if I'm going to do some farming, I'll look for a pick ax first. They work fine for farming and they aren't as delicate as a hoe. Honestly, apart from a pick ax, stone knife and a compass, there aren't too many other must-have items, apart from sensible clothing ... and in time, you can make that yourself.

• Like 1

The stick is dead simple and pretty intuitive. Poke your food onto the end of the stick, With the stick in hand, move towards the fire. You'll get a prompt to cook your food over the fire. Nothing to it.

I know that part, it's the knowing when it's cooked that's confusing me sadly.

I know that part, it's the knowing when it's cooked that's confusing me sadly.

It changes from pink to brown when you roast it over an open fire!

• Like 1

It changes from pink to brown when you roast it over an open fire!

AHHHH!!!! You can your complicated directions! I have no idea what you are even talking about.

Was there any update yesterday? I wasn't connected to steam. Hicks206 promised more UMPs.

Was there any update yesterday? I wasn't connected to steam. Hicks206 promised more UMPs.

only on internal testing server not experimental. but looks like that the devs can change loot and lootspawnpoints without an update.

• Like 1

only on internal testing server not experimental. but looks like that the devs can change loot and lootspawnpoints without an update.

Should be a Stable hotfix at some point today, I believe regarding the status indicators not updating.

Experimental may or may not see an update. No word there. Lots of internal builds getting uploaded, but nothing making it's way to Exp just yet. Keep your eyes peeled!

• Like 2

It's a matter of principle.  As someone else said once, I can't be hobo-ing around Chernarus.  My food tastes best when I get 100% from my pristine cans which were opened by a pristine can opener - while wearing all pristine gear.  Just because the world has fallen apart doesn't mean I can let myself go.

• Like 6

As a fresh spawn I'm happy to carry a sledge, an ax, or a pick ax. They are all awesome melee weapons. But if I'm going to do some farming, I'll look for a pick ax first. They work fine for farming and they aren't as delicate as a hoe. Honestly, apart from a pick ax, stone knife and a compass, there aren't too many other must-have items, apart from sensible clothing ... and in time, you can make that yourself.

Implying that the foreskin outfit is sensible  :lol:

Pickaxe is also great for getting stones, and everyone knows that adding stones is the only way to enjoy a fireplace. 

• Like 1

Pickaxe is also great for getting stones, and everyone knows that adding stones is the only way to enjoy a fireplace. 

Can you make the stone fireplace still ? I tried adding the 8 rocks to the fireplace but nothing happened. It just remained the regular log fireplace.

Edited by LoveAffair

Can you make the stone fireplace still ? I tried adding the 8 rocks to the fireplace but nothing happened. It just remained the regular log fireplace.

You need to add 4 small stones and 4 larger stones (mined with the pick axe).

I've only been able to make a fire ring though, the complete covered oven I haven't figured out yet.

Maybe it's some sort of Stockholm type syndrome but I really look forward to the wipes on exp. 

• Like 4

Maybe it's some sort of Stockholm type syndrome but I really look forward to the wipes on exp. 

Don't say that :P   All my stored acorns for the winter get wiped :(