Sign in to follow this  
barnabus

Let's talk about "hide sites"

A hide site/patrol base is the place where you will pitch your tent once persistence is working as intended.  There are several points that are important to consider when selecting a hide site that you should take into consideration.

• It should be at least 1 kilometer or one major terrain feature away from good water.
  • If it is easy to find then it isn't a hide site.
  • I prefer high ground, optimally, a depression in high ground so I can build a fire place. 
  • Ease of defense/routes in and out.

Here is a link to the US Army Ranger Handbook, use chapters 4 and 11 in particular for selecting a hide site/patrol base..

https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/ranger.pdf

• Like 5

The best hiding spot is on your second account/bank alt. Immune to persistence issues.

Army ranger handbook be damned! They don't discuss persistence OR infected anywhere.

• Like 4

I'm completely new to the game, is this concerning - tents? I was completely unaware that there was a system for storing loot.

• Like 1

I'm completely new to the game, is this concerning - tents? I was completely unaware that there was a system for storing loot.

Yes, he is referring to tents.  Eventually we will have other forms of storing items.. I recall reading about barrels as well.

• Like 3

Yes, he is referring to tents.  Eventually we will have other forms of storing items.. I recall reading about barrels as well.

Barrels are indeed coming, hopefully, eventually, we will be able to bury them.  I am also hoping for lean-to's, other forms of improvised shelters and being able to camouflage tents with foliage in future releases..

• Like 2

I am also hoping for lean-to's, other forms of improvised shelters and being able to camouflage tents with foliage in future releases..

That would be GREAT!

Just put your tents way out in the west in the debug/non terrain area of the game. People in the mod did it. Streamers do it. I do it. We all do it. Anyone who has the time to go out there and run the entire outskirts of the edges of the map DESERVES to have your stashed loot.

Just put your tents way out in the west in the debug/non terrain area of the game. People in the mod did it. Streamers do it. I do it. We all do it. Anyone who has the time to go out there and run the entire outskirts of the edges of the map DESERVES to have your stashed loot.

Anyone who has the time to go out there and pitch their tents of the edges of the map DESERVES to have their stash looted.

• Like 3

Plant a tent or park a truck outside the map - it despawns.

Was the same in the Mod, still is.

• Like 2

A hide site/patrol base is the place where you will pitch your tent once persistence is working as intended. There are several points that are important to consider when selecting a hide site that you should take into consideration.

• It should be at least 1 kilometer or one major terrain feature away from good water.
  • If it is easy to find then it isn't a hide site.
  • I prefer high ground, optimally, a depression in high ground so I can build a fire place.
  • Ease of defense/routes in and out.
Here is a link to the US Army Ranger Handbook, use chapters 4 and 11 in particular for selecting a hide site/patrol base..

https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/ranger.pdf

Isn't this ranger manual like...classified? Eyes only? Top secret? Sure looks like a lot of info you can't find just anywhere...

• Like 1

The real question will be: Will there be enough ESP hackers catching method's to make it even worth it to stash your gut lewts in tents and barrels?

There are things to think about before placing a tent; the area traveled to and fro'.

I personally place my tents SW of Dolina, Staroye, around Mogilevka. The woods and surrounding area is completely untraveled. You might have a person or two travel through, but they'd be more focused on getting to where they're going, rather than having spare time to look for a tent, that 'might not' even be there.  

• Like 1

I just got my brother into the game, and now tents aren't persistent (heck, civ ones weren't even working right last patch).
Can't wait till it comes back. We both want to be immersed into the survival experience, and have somewhere to stash our lovely loot, and also have a time saving recouper for when we die.

Thanks for the manual, I'm going to read it, and I'm sure my other brother will absolutely love it.

I've got 6 sites marked on my map. Good spread right across Chernarus and each of them is a nice little hollow or depression well out of the way and not easily visible. 

I'm really looking forward to actually being able to use tents. All of my experiences with them thus far have been crap due to glitches or losing everything on a server restart. Actually being able to create a few stashes for myself will make this game a hell of a lot more fun.

Isn't this ranger manual like...classified? Eyes only? Top secret? Sure looks like a lot of info you can't find just anywhere...

On what planet is it "like...  classified"?  Obviously it isn't classified, you can buy them from Amazon for cripes sake and any Army clothing sales store worth it's salt sells them to anyone with a military ID Card.  It is considered by the Army to pretty much be the go to handbook for everything.

On what planet is it "like... classified"? Obviously it isn't classified, you can buy them from Amazon for cripes sake and any Army clothing sales store worth it's salt sells them to anyone with a military ID Card. It is considered by the Army to pretty much be the go to handbook for everything.

Ok sir, don't get your panties in a twist:)

I'm not military and this handbook looks pretty specific as it describes tactics ect.

Good read.

Edited by Calvin Candie

EDIT: Completely misread ^^ nevermind

Edited by Miracool

On what planet is it "like...  classified"?  Obviously it isn't classified, you can buy them from Amazon for cripes sake and any Army clothing sales store worth it's salt sells them to anyone with a military ID Card.  It is considered by the Army to pretty much be the go to handbook for everything.

You don't need a military ID..

I think finding hide sites will be kind of like finding sniper perches... Find the best possible spot and stay away from it. 

• Like 2

You don't need a military ID..

Read the sentence again, at a military clothing sales store on base you need a military ID to purchase anything.

Edited by Barnabus

Read the sentence again, at a military clothing sales store on base you need a military ID to purchase anything.

Read it fine the first time you make no mention of a base, just "ANY army clothing store worth it's salt".

Read it fine the first time you make no mention of a base, just "ANY army clothing store worth it's salt".

Where the heck else would find a "military clothing sales store"?  That is a specific name for a specific place.  You won't find a military clothing sales store down at your local mall.  Note, I did NOT say military surplus store.  I just said Army because it would be unlikely to find one at an Air Force Clothing Sales outlet.  The Navy, USMC store will have them too, and you ain't gonna get one with out an ID Card.

Edited by Barnabus

Where the heck else would find a "military clothing sales store"?  That is a specific name for a specific place.  You won't find a military clothing sales store down at your local mall.  Note, I did NOT say military surplus store.  I just said Army because it would be unlikely to find one at an Air Force Clothing Sales outlet.  The Navy, USMC store will have them too, and you ain't gonna get one with out an ID Card.

Hmmm to be fair I think we're pulling fly shit out of pepper here. Sales / surplus... seriously? Let's not argue about this. It wasn't entirely clear and now it is. The book ain't classified. 

Let's move on. Jesus. 

When persistence did work, the issue for me was balancing the remoteness of where I was placing my camp, relative to the accessibility of water (especially). The far, far west (with one or two exceptions) is not great for this.

Having recce'd quite a lot of the far north, it seems much better for this, so I may make camp up there - Krasnoe seems like a good area.

Depending on the availability of tents and barrels, most will have more than one camp though. I'm also a fan of the woods around Mogilevka and Dolina - nice area.

• Like 1