NomadZ

Everyone plays the game the way they want, so...

We say, everyone plays the game the way they want, so that means everyone has right to combat log when they want to. I was getting surrounded by KOSing bandits and I don't have a gun, but to avoid giving them all my food, I logged out. Why? Because I can.

*I successfully logged out within 30 seconds. Which is fair enough. They lost me. It's their fault.

Edited by NomadZ
  • Like 5

We say, everyone plays the game the way they want, so that means everyone has right to combat log when they want to. I was getting surrounded by KOSing bandits and I don't have a gun, but to avoid giving them all my food, I logged out. Why? Because I can.

You do realize that your body stays in-game for 30 seconds, right?

Enjoy logging back in to a fresh-spawn. 

It's just food, man. You can get that anywhere. Now the whole forum knows you as a combat-logging scrub.

• Like 15

If you can actually log out and have your body despawn before they get to you then your not breaking any rules - personally I would dump my food/gear (hide it) and charge them, to each their own

You do realize that your body stays in-game for 30 seconds, right?

Enjoy logging back in to a fresh-spawn. 

It's just food, man. You can get that anywhere. Now the whole forum knows you as a combat-logging scrub.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I ran and hid in a shed. I knew I had enough time to log out.

If you can actually log out and have your body despawn before they get to you then your not breaking any rules - personally I would dump my food/gear (hide it) and charge them, to each their own

Yeah, that's what I did. I ran until they lost track of me. But if I stayed longer they'd track me down. So, I thought I had enough time to log out, so I did. And I logged back in about 15 minutes, they were gone.

And also, other played did the same thing, when I was chasing them. When I got busy with zombies they logged out. The funny part is that I was a new spawn, but he had a backpack and a repeater. He got scared that I'd kill him and get his loot. So, when I learned that technique worked well, I started doing the same :P

Edited by NomadZ

...aaaaaand Thread closed.

Interesting play style, plays a survival game and logs out to stay alive.... Brilliant strategy how about you never log back in then your character will NEVER lose any of his gear ....

Have you seen the not official daisy mod its a single player version of DayZ mod might be just your speed???

• Like 6

Interesting play style, plays a survival game and logs out to stay alive.... Brilliant strategy how about you never log back in then your character will NEVER lose any of his gear ....

Have you seen the not official daisy mod its a single player version of DayZ mod might be just your speed???

That's my style. I will log back in and log out when I want to ;)

Somehow i don't think this is the game for you.......

Mr Girly Pants

The ultimate attachment to one's own gear.

You have an inner, underlying feeling that what you did was cheap and you know it buddy.  What you did was cowardice. And although within the rules, a cheap move nonetheless. The subject title of your post is your admission to the fact. Go to your room.

If im a new spawn of something, and I come under fire from bandits, I always propose a fist fight championship between me and them. Usually they accept. Sometimes they scream out something in a different language and proceed to shred me to bits with their AK's...

You have an inner, underlying feeling that what you did was cheap and you know it buddy.  What you did was cowardice. And although within the rules, a cheap move nonetheless. The subject title of your post is your admission to the fact. Go to your room.

Not exactly. I did it because I could. Other players did that to me, so I thought why don't I do the same and see how it feels. A guy with gear who ran from me. He entered a green house. When I finished fighting off the pesky zombies, I entered the house. He was gone. So, I decided to do the same. And it actually feels good doing that.

Edited by NomadZ
  • Like 1

Run, run, run away, live to fight another day.  DON'T bury your head in the sand, that's what cowardly ostriches do.

Where is that official "DayZ proper behavior codex" everyone is forced to follow?

What? There's none? Oh my...

DayZ is a game. A pretty game with flaws, allowing scumbags to successfully be scumbags. Isn't that just like real life? Except for the fact that in games, nobody gets hurt for real?

Let OP log out of fights if he thinks it'll save him forever, and don't let him raise your inner rage. He's playing the game in a dirty way, and that's his decision. If everyone else plays DayZ "properly by the codex", then hooray for you, honourable knights. :)

• Like 4

Where is that official "DayZ proper behavior codex" everyone is forced to follow?

What? There's none? Oh my...

DayZ is a game. A pretty game with flaws, allowing scumbags to successfully be scumbags. Isn't that just like real life? Except for the fact that in games, nobody gets hurt for real?

Let OP log out of fights if he thinks it'll save him forever, and don't let him raise your inner rage. He's playing the game in a dirty way, and that's his decision. If everyone else plays DayZ "properly by the codex", then hooray for you, honourable knights. :)

Pretty sure that if the devs put in a device to prevent a behavior, it's against this "DayZ proper behavior codex" you speak of. 

I'm all for freedom of playstyles, but the action of combat logging kind of breaks the 4th wall, for lack of a better term. 

Plus just the way he decided to brag about it on a public forum makes it completely acceptable that we tear him a new asshole.

Edited by tux
  • Like 2

I know, it's almost like switching to 3rd person to see if there are any infected behind those fences or around those corners. Wouldn't want to make survival too difficult.

giphy.gif

Okay, in all seriousness, Combat logging is outright dumb. Someone combat logging is not cheating other players of their gear, but themselves of a chance interaction, good or bad. Suddenly most of the actual danger is gone from the game. Might as just play a game that spawns you with gear.

• Like 3

Pretty sure that if the devs put in a device to prevent a behavior, it's against this "DayZ proper behavior codex" you speak of.

If the devs do so, it'll be 'illegal' to act the way OP mentioned. Until then, it's not.

I'm all for freedom of playstyles, but the action of combat logging kind of breaks the 4th wall, for lack of a better term.

I understand the way you think and feel, and if I was playing DayZ in a situation like that, I'd agree. But still: It's a game. A virtual entertainment software. And even with the "zombie survival king" DayZ, it remains as fun as the player wants it to be.

Logging out in tight spots might be cheap and foolish, but it's a game after all.

Plus just the way he decided to brag about it on a public forum makes it completely acceptable that we tear him a new asshole.

Haha, I'm not fully defending him! I can feel the pain in every honest DayZ player, reading the opening post. If any person has some personal honour, they act in certain ways. But people without honour in games act like that. :)

I just think everyone in this thread is wasting their energy. If OP wants to combat-log, let him. Why is it any concern to you? Everyone just move along, play the game honourable or not, whatever way you want!

• Like 2

If the devs do so, it'll be 'illegal' to act the way OP mentioned. Until then, it's not.

Actually, they have. Your character will sit down once you log out of a server, and stay there for about 30 seconds before you are safely logged out. This was directly addressing the problem of combat logging / ghosting.

Clearly, it hasn't completely fixed the problem, but until we force everyone on the planet to play dayz 24/7, it'll have to do.

I just think everyone in this thread is wasting their energy. If OP wants to combat-log, let him. Why is it any concern to you? Everyone just move along, play the game honourable or not, whatever way you want!

OP wanted a discussion, which is why he posted on the forum in the first place (presumably). 

Not exactly. I did it because I could. Other players did that to me, so I thought why don't I do the same and see how it feels. A guy with gear who ran from me. He entered a green house. When I finished fighting off the pesky zombies, I entered the house. He was gone. So, I decided to do the same. And it actually feels good doing that.

Good luck with that. But DO be prepared to be flamed (a little) due to the ethics, not rules of stuff like this. All up to you.....just because you can doesn't mean you should. Felt good to write that!!!

• Like 1

i always drop my food/drink and gear i dont need in combat in a pine tree before going into a town

that way i can go full insane assault on their ass and don't have a bad feeling about dieing

combat logging though...

if people are camping your position and don't get to you while combat logging, they are cowards, so go on do it, i personally despise of it

plays a survival game

:D :D  are you serious?

Edited by Noctoras