NomadZ

Everyone plays the game the way they want, so...

You guys are both missing the points.

Players will do everything in their powers to exploit, look for ways out of situations etc... It will get much worse with consoles.

Not 1 person on the dayz I bet even thought about combat logging as a problem. But they did repair a small but growing concern 2 minute re login timer.

This time was a fix for the character loading problems we had. I am glad I helped suggest that one, it did prove to work. Not saying I changed anything but that is what you both must do.

Find a way together to fix the combat logging issue. Problem is people also log off for the night and it might just happen to be in front of you.

Now take away the other problem, we have is server hopping. Fix 2 birds with 1 stone.

We also have another issue both of you guys never thought of, that's the problem with a player kills you loots everything then server hops asap. That there is insane, usually a person sitting in the dark spaces waiting for you to walk in and then shoots you, loots then goes to a different server.

I don't know what is worse to be honest, but find a solution together.

I suggest shutting down the public hives and make them all private. So you start fresh.

Which in time will be fixed with the self server hosting. Databases are local. As long as they are private and do not have the ability to download their characters from another server. Arma doesn't do this but other games I noticed like ARK does!! you can turn that off too. So Modding and hosting of servers  will help improve that. I do know that from the arma series.

I suggest shutting down the public hives and make them all private. So you start fresh.

This was one of my suggestions from the get go. For one thing Combat Logging might not save you as a person can then place mines/beartraps at your location and with persistence on you will be in trouble if you log right back in there. No server hopping issues either. What is more, if you combat log on a private server, you are basically done playing on that server for a good long time, depending on the patience of whom you skipped out on. If it wasn't too high traffic area I would happily mine/beartrap their log out point and then hang around in cover for the next half hour waiting for them. ;)

The issue is that we have someone saying, "Well the software lets me do it, it's not a bug... so it's not an exploit." Which most people understand is not true at all. 

• Like 1

I never quite understood why all the massive QQing about combat logging is still going on.

It's fine as it is now, a 30 second log-out timer. If a dude manages to avoid his would-be killer for that long, chances are he would've gotten away anyway, without logging. 30 seconds is a long-ass time in a combat situation. In DayZ, you can haul it clear through an entire town in 30 seconds. So provided you are not seen running, your hunter has NO idea where you could've have gone. You could be in any house, you could've left the town and hit the woods, or you could've logged. Tough luck. You evaded long enough to be able to safely log out, which means you successfully escaped that combat situation. 

Frankly, I think the logging IN is a bigger issue than the logging OUT. There's nothing as annoying as having a guy spawn in behind you in a building you cleared already. There needs to be some sort of mechanic against this, imo.

This was one of my suggestions from the get go. For one thing Combat Logging might not save you as a person can then place mines/beartraps at your location and with persistence on you will be in trouble if you log right back in there. No server hopping issues either. What is more, if you combat log on a private server, you are basically done playing on that server for a good long time, depending on the patience of whom you skipped out on. If it wasn't too high traffic area I would happily mine/beartrap their log out point and then hang around in cover for the next half hour waiting for them. ;)

The issue is that we have someone saying, "Well the software lets me do it, it's not a bug... so it's not an exploit." Which most people understand is not true at all. 

Bear traps easy fix, person only takes partial damage then it releases. Or no damage at all, since it was intended for hunting not pvp. Or make the weight and size difference of a backpack, size of a full ghillie suit. That there is up to the dev's to fix. The global damage system or individual item one might be the tricky part. Mines same deal.

Then you got the other side of the coin, pvp what items are for those people on survival from other players, Z's.

Unless it is only placed around bases in the future and built on top of something within range.

Edited by TheSneakyDude

logging off isn't a bug - who the fuck is saying it's a bug? Neither is it an exploit anymore than pressing your mouse button to fire a gun is an exploit in killing someone - who the fuck is saying logging off is an exploit?

Combat logging on the other hand is still neither of these but it is something only a maggot or troll would do and the rest of us will have to put up with those people that do it. Play on a private hive and you can report them and eventually have them banned. Public servers - well.....

• Like 1

I was curious what the devs would say about that so I contacted them. Combat logging isn't an exploit according to SMoss. I think we can safely say you've lost the argument.

I never quite understood why all the massive QQing about combat logging is still going on.

It's fine as it is now, a 30 second log-out timer. If a dude manages to avoid his would-be killer for that long, chances are he would've gotten away anyway, without logging. 30 seconds is a long-ass time in a combat situation.

that's about it!

logging off isn't a bug - who the fuck is saying it's a bug? Neither is it an exploit anymore than pressing your mouse button to fire a gun is an exploit in killing someone - who the fuck is saying logging off is an exploit?

Combat logging on the other hand is still neither of these but it is something only a maggot or troll would do and the rest of us will have to put up with those people that do it. Play on a private hive and you can report them and eventually have them banned. Public servers - well.....

what keeps you from killing said person in 30 sec?

what keeps you from killing said person in 30 sec?

30 seconds is way too short a time unless you see them quit right in front of you. In a fight, if we're both shooting each other, and one of us ducks behind something and quits, how long are you going to wait before you advance? This is where the timer becomes useless because I might be repositioning, waiting to pop back out again.

I was curious what the devs would say about that so I contacted them. Combat logging isn't an exploit according to SMoss. I think we can safely say you've lost the argument.

Hicks states it is for, "pussycakes". Sounds like the devs don't even agree on the subject. Then again with Hicks being Lead Producer... one might wonder if his opinion might hold any sway. <_< I think we can safely say your still not right, I might not be, but neither are you. 

Where is that official "DayZ proper behavior codex" everyone is forced to follow?

What? There's none? Oh my...

DayZ is a game ..//.. allowing scumbags to successfully be scumbags.

..//..

He's playing the game in a dirty way, and that's his decision.

If the devs do so, it'll be 'illegal' to act the way OP mentioned. Until then, it's not.

..//..

It's a game. A virtual entertainment software.

..//.

. If any person has some personal honour, they act in certain ways. But people without honour in games act like that. :)

..//..

I just think everyone in this thread is wasting their energy. If OP wants to combat-log, let him. play the game honourable or not, whatever way you want!

well - exactly

One of the key things about DayZ is it's full of scumbags

If I look at my list of players that I meet who are scumbags - that's pretty much all of them

.. except the idiots

Some are scumbags by mistake, some go all out to be scumbags, some don't even notice how scumbag they are

some think they are being honest and fair being scumbags, some think they are doing you a service

some justify it, some do it because it's unjustifiable

some have little squeaky voices (I love them, game would be no good without them)

some have macho voices and go around in teams being tough and hard (I love them, game would be no good without them)

The ones who think they know what the F is going on are the worst (I hate them)

.. and there are the idiots

all these players are much more important than the zombies

If the guy manages to hide in a shed, maybe he could sit there for an hour and not be found.. maybe he could log and be dead when he logs back in..

For the OTHER players, it doesn't actually make a difference, it's just a contact situation they have to deal with

where did the guy go ? Is he there, did he escape, is he not there, is he watching or following? Are you going to search, or leave it, or log out yourselves?

you'll never know, OR maybe you'll find out when you don't expect to.. whatever

I don't have any rules about how to play - when I'm in the game I just deal with the situation

some players think I'm a scumbag (for sure) and some think I'm an idiot, I guess..

and some don't see me coming and some never knew I was there

Edited by pilgrim

Hicks states it is for, "pussycakes". Sounds like the devs don't even agree on the subject. Then again with Hicks being Lead Producer... one might wonder if his opinion might hold any sway. <_< I think we can safely say your still not right, I might not be, but neither are you.

Nope, sounds like you again assume that if Hicks states it is for "pussycakes" then it must be an exploit.

However, instead of assuming things, I asked the mods upfront and they replied that, I qoute: "We don't consider combat logging to be an exploit."

I don't see any disagreements here. Saying that something is seen as a cowardly act is not the same as saying something is an exploit. You're making a fool of yourself.

Edited by BlinkingRiki182

I have to admit, sometimes when I'm in a hairy situation I also think about combat logging. But then I say to myself "NO, you're not a pussy. If there are problems you can't walk away from 'em, you need to face the music!". So in the end I don't combat log. :)

Trust me by the way, combat logging would have prevented a lot of "You are dead" screens. But someone I know said this of Arma 2 "There a lot of people who just respawn when we crash. I always walk because it learns me to be more careful next time and learn from my mistakes.". So if I die, I accept this penalty. If I don't want to die I should be more careful and will eventually learn from my mistakes. :)

Edited by IMT

Nope, sounds like you again assume that if Hicks states it is for "pussycakes" then it must be an exploit.

However, instead of assuming things, I asked the mods upfront and they replied that, I qoute: "We don't consider combat logging to be an exploit."

I don't see any disagreements here. Saying that something is seen as a cowardly act is not the same as saying something is an exploit. You're making a fool of yourself.

You talked to one developer, not even the lead. Meanwhile the LEAD developer has a poor opinion of combat logging and the 30 second log out didn't exist when Alpha first started. They tested a longer one on the test server and decided it was too punitive to non-combat loggers and pulled back to 30 seconds.

Now, an 'Exploit' is using a game system in a non-intended manner. Is logging out seen as a viable tactics to save your life? Not according to the lead developer Hicks who has stated his clear opinion on those doing it. Is it technically allowed? Yes, but it is allowed because otherwise you would have to have a safe location for your body every time you logged out and since no place anywhere on the map is safe they can't make it so your character never leaves the game OR sticks around a very long time because the chance of an Infected or player encountering you randomly goes up the longer they make the log out. 

The fact that there is ANY delay shows their intent for logging out and doing so to "instantly escape danger" which is that logging out isn't supposed to be. 

You also asked a question and got an answer, but never stated the question you asked or the exact answer. For all I know you went, "So is logging out even though someone is nearby an exploit?" and SMoss said, "Well, not in the strictest sense of it, no." I however linked to a tweet demonstrating Hick's opinion of logging out to escape. So it doesn't appear as if Combat Logging is an intended behavior by his quote. 

Oh, and you have yet to explain to me in detail even one of these "numerous" solutions that prevent combat logging but are not overly punitive to other players who are simply logging out normally. 

You keep shifting goal posts and talking circular arguments. "Well if they intended it not to be done then they would have made it so you can't do it. Since you can do it they intended it." Which is not a valid argument, it is a bit of a false dichotomy. It isn't, "They intended it or you couldn't do it." because there exists multiple reasons they might not intend it but can't stop you from doing it. 

Edited by Mercules

just die/get caught/sniped/kosed/betrayed a bit more and you won't care about a bunch of food.

running away is always my first option if i survive the first contact, but i wouldn't consider logging in a house in a city..also because the logging back blinded issue i have in logging inside towns, but mainly because the chase, the game experience in that moment is not finished yet...i run out of the city, cross a couple of hills/tree lines and then log out safely.

and 5 ''kosers'' vs 1 fresh spawn i'd rather raise my fists and die than giving them the satisfaction to log for fear.. as in my first line..just grow more experiences, even bad ones..

• Like 1

no fight at all?

you didn't combat log, you've pussied out!

Edited by robophant