boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.57 Discussion

Certainly several of us were excited to hear of these plans, but I would rather that the devs communicated their plans from time to time, rather than leaving us in the dark.

Barrels provide interesting options, but at least as important to the hermit lifestyle are animals and persistence. If I can't harvest animals, there is no point in having the capability of tanning and dying skins. Without persistence, I don't see the point of setting up camps, pitching tents and collecting barrels, if those items disappear at each server reset. So, it seems to me that it's a bit premature to complaint about barrel spawn rates, until persistence is switched on and the CLE's capabilities are fleshed out.

After some thought, it seems to me that barrels shouldn't be particularly plentiful. Unlike ammunition, you really only "need" one per camp, so you shouldn't be able to find them on every street corner. I think that all desirable items, barrels included, should require considerable effort to locate. If you can get fully geared and equipped in only a couple of hours, what will you do for the next four weeks, before there is another patch?

Personally, I've never set up a camp or had need of persistence.   Yet, I'd love to play around with a barrel.  They *did* mention it in the changelog for .57, though.  If they're going to put it into the changelog, then you'd expect to see it, right?

Also, barrels should be very plentiful.  They're all over in real life.  In my opinion, the game should find a way to make them plentiful.  Put restrictions on them or something.  Make them take up the backpack slot and hands slot at the same time.  Make them stationary.  There's lots of options to balance the potential overpowered nature of barrels.  

Even if balance was a concern, how is it they rationalize Flare Guns and Cooking Pots on .57.  Those are the real OP items right now.  Give us the barrels, plz.

These are the towns I hit: Kamyshovo, Orlovets, Polana, and the police station in Gorka. The gear I found in those towns and currently have stored: Smersh Vest with Pouch, Mountain bag, AK-74 with plastic handguard/stock, Kashtan scope, East silencer, Trumpet with ~300 rounds, ~250 rounds for the AK (no mags yet tho), ~10 food items, ~10 drink items, Canteen, PET Bottle, Combat Knife, Axe, Engraved 1911, a 1911 mag, ~3 bandages, M65 Jacket, the Skull balaclava, sport glasses. Green combat helmet, and assorted other junk.

Personally, I've never set up a camp or had need of persistence.   Yet, I'd love to play around with a barrel.  They *did* mention it in the changelog for .57, though.  If they're going to put it into the changelog, then you'd expect to see it, right?

Also, barrels should be very plentiful.  They're all over in real life.  In my opinion, the game should find a way to make them plentiful.  Put restrictions on them or something.  Make them take up the backpack slot and hands slot at the same time.  Make them stationary.  There's lots of options to balance the potential overpowered nature of barrels.  

Even if balance was a concern, how is it they rationalize Flare Guns and Cooking Pots on .57.  Those are the real OP items right now.  Give us the barrels, plz.

As I think you know from exp, barrels were 4 (9?) slot items, which could carry a tent's load worth of gear, all while fitting into your inventory. I wouldn't doubt it had something to do with the fact that we could stack pieces of clothing like jackets inside of other jackets (think clothing loot splosions: the single room log cabin, AKA "Grandma's House").

A developer mentioned that they were working on carrying animation for the barrel requiring use of your hands (I'd assume similar to carrying a jerrycan or fertilizer). Maybe this is coming with the new character controller, plus I'm sure the new inventory matrix rework should help with it as well.

Instead of introducing an unfinished tent-in-a-pocket to stable, my guess is that the devs want to unleash a whole new set of carrying animations and have the barrel be the center of that release. I can't wait for the barrel, and I know FlimFlamm is dying to find one. 

Hopefully barrels will be the second big capacity items, after tents, to pave the way to our much vehicle inventories, and real world containers, such as apple trees or refrigerators.

EDIT: Cooking pots are so OP. Think about putting anything 4x4 in your pot, and attaching it to a portable gas stove + blue butane set. It all goes from 4x2 to being 1x2:

UzJnFki.jpg

Edited by tux
  • Like 1

Dear devs, I know that you will probably never read anything past page 5 here, unless someone forces you to, but here goes,...

Please do not put things in the changelog or hype items for the next upcoming stable release unless you actually plan on having these things in that build.

I had played every single iteration of .57 experimental.  Except for the first, where there was no loot, I looked for a barrel every single time.  I never found one.  Still can't find one on stable.  Please don't hype items unless you know for sure they will be in the build.  I read the changelog over and over.  It described how I can use a barrel to do this and that.  Even read lots of showcases on crafting with it.  Never found one.  Been held up by bandits several times while looking for them.  The question I always ask them is "Have you seen any barrels yet?"   "No" is always the reply.  

The same thing happened with bear traps.  When they were first introduced to stable, they were no where.  I don't care what rate you implement things into the game, but please don't hype them, and then not put them in.   It's a totally avoidable source of frustration.

The thing is, to my understanding, that with CLE, item spawn percentages can be modified on the fly, without a big download or change to the client.  Please fix barrels so that players can live the 'hermit lifestyle',  just like how you've been promoting.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=445979275

Been hunting for an SVD still haven't found one. Are there any? and where?

The Longhorn is really effective with the Improvised Silencer, as both require a reload after each shot. I shot it once with the silencer on, and once with it off. It's deafening without a silencer, and pretty damn quiet with one on. Plus another use for duct tape and PET bottles.

LPRyXRL.jpg

The Portable Gas Lamp is very bright. It didn't seem to light up when I turned it on in my inventory and dropped it, but interacting with it on the ground turned it on.

nR6nFCk.jpg

It's pretty noticeable at night in most houses. I want to try using one as a trap.

QbUYjeK.jpg

I love playing at night in 1PP. So immersive. It's even better when night goes to day (dawn is fun). Accelerated time is great too.

Edited by tux
  • Like 2

Yes, several times. Why?

how's the loot there? empty? the same? or mix bag?

As I tend to agree that it's too easy to get fully geared right now, I think that both new item testing (via saturation) and the new CLE are contributing to the amount of rare loot that we are seeing.

Give it a couple more patches and I'm sure we'll start to see a more balanced loot distribution.

Actually, the reason we are seeing so much rare loot is that the loot resets completely every 4 hours. That means that every 4 hours, all ~50,000 items are replaced and replenished anew. The new CLE is not really doing anything for us right now since it doesn't have enough time to actually do more than initialize the loot. Nothing respawns until the server is depleted to 50% under normal operation of the CLE, according to Eugen's "Central Economy" thread. Four hours simply isn't long enough to get to that point.

I can't help but facepalm every time I see someone post something to the effect of "this new CLE is awesome!" (Not that you are.)

The CLE isn't doing anything. This is a new predefined distribution set up by the devs and with no persistence on. It is a placeholder to replace the previous placeholder while they nail down the issues with item respawning. After 2 days in Exp, the CLE replenished nothing so all the loot was gone. No one would be able to play this patch at all if they hadn't set it up this way. 

The 2nd they turn persistence back on, we will not be overflowing with everything we could ever want as it is now.

• Like 1

I agree that 0.57 Exp was much more challenging and fun, because loot was relatively scarce. I doubt that the average player would share my enthusiasm for that sort of a struggle, however.

Keep in mind that the CLE is still a WIP and it is not functioning as intended. Upon it's introduction, Hicks stated that it would take several months, before it will begin to function as they wish.

You're probably right BleedoutBill. I am sure the fixes as always come quickly and of course true balance can not be achieved until the entire game mechanism is in place and functioning. That's the last stage before release I think. I had a good time a few hours ago at the NW AF (killed 8 zeds and evaded a team of three players bent on my destruction). And hey I actually found a SVD magazine for when I find one of those rifles. Until then it will be the model70+hunting scope and the FNX45 with one magazine The longhorn and I couldn't resist picking up an AK74SU and making space for it in my high cap vest. I'm up on ammo but no mag for the AK74Su yet but it works well as a single shot for.now. And the helicopters are spawning gear again so that's good. And hey, I got a stout chair jumper when I got close to a zombie that appeared to be dead but he was a crawler (Military) first time I saw one of those critters...cool beans. Two hits with the ax settled its account.      

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 1

If you can get fully geared and equipped in only a couple of hours, what will you do for the next four weeks, before there is another patch?

Whar majority of players want, and how .57 looks to me now...

Fortunately, the devs will be supporting the modding community, so eventually there will no doubt be high loot / PVP oriented servers as well as more modest loot PVE type servers.

I thought random deaths doesn't occur anymore, but they does. Just had one, was healthy and hydrated, wasn't hit by zombie or by any player, i was sitting on top floor of the barn and eating and then suddenly black screen, not a single sound, and "You are Dead". :(

i was sitting on top floor of the barn and eating and then suddenly black screen, not a single sound, and "You are Dead". :(

There's your answer. You broke your legs, RIP.

I love playing at night in 1PP. So immersive. It's even better when night goes to day (dawn is fun). Accelerated time is great too.

I gotta say i hate the 10x time accelerated servers. Breaks the whole immersion when i get to see like 15 minutes of dark.

Not to mention the partly cloudy weather effects on 10x makes you feel like there's a disco ball up in the sky.

Edited by halp

I have a question/gripe. When I come upon a couple pieces of loot, why can't I have an option for just picking up or moving that item. I know I can 'take' some items, but when I want to move a vest or something, it can't be held in my hands, meaning I have to stand in the open jockeying inventory around. Why can't a vest be held in hands? Maybe add a drag item. 

Alpha

There is a way to sort through lots of items on the floor quickly, it's on you tube somewhere

Def have to check it out. Such a pain seeing something you want in a pile of crap but cant get to it lol

I can't help to notice that no one, really no one mentioned that silencers do work now.

It seems that the infected completely ignore someone with a silencer now. Atleast that's how it looks like. I missed an infected about 3 times and he didn't gave a shit, could be the long distance though.

So yeah, pistol and silencer for the win.

Dear devs, I know that you will probably never read anything past page 5 here, unless someone forces you to, but here goes,...

Please do not put things in the changelog or hype items for the next upcoming stable release unless you actually plan on having these things in that build.

I had played every single iteration of .57 experimental. Except for the first, where there was no loot, I looked for a barrel every single time. I never found one. Still can't find one on stable. Please don't hype items unless you know for sure they will be in the build. I read the changelog over and over. It described how I can use a barrel to do this and that. Even read lots of showcases on crafting with it. Never found one. Been held up by bandits several times while looking for them. The question I always ask them is "Have you seen any barrels yet?" "No" is always the reply.

The same thing happened with bear traps. When they were first introduced to stable, they were no where. I don't care what rate you implement things into the game, but please don't hype them, and then not put them in. It's a totally avoidable source of frustration.

The thing is, to my understanding, that with CLE, item spawn percentages can be modified on the fly, without a big download or change to the client. Please fix barrels so that players can live the 'hermit lifestyle', just like how you've been promoting.

I found a barrel in Experimental, so they did put it in there.

My guess is that they left the barrel out of stable on purpose. I mean carrying a tent which only consumes 4 spaces in inventory? Come one, that is way overpowered.

I didn't see a single Gorka item in the entire time 0.56 and 0.57 were in Experimental. While not definitive, I also have not seen any screenshots from players where they were wearing them either. They may not be in this build.

I'm wearing a Gorka Helmet at the moment so yeah, they are in there. I guess they are really hard to find because I haven't seen anything else then the helmet.

I know it's just a building block, but this release is really depressing. It reminds me of a year ago when you could get an M4 with 10 magazines within your first hour playing, every time.

Now it's that way with AK-74's, MP5K's and PM RAK's, along with FNX45's and all the best optics.

I know it won't end up that way, but after a few hours playing this 0.57 release it's discouraging that everyone is all geared out like a super soldier again. I know the PvP'ers love this though.

I haven't found a single AK47, AKM or AK101. If you know where they are at, please tell me. I did found an AK47 magazine and an AKM drum mag.

Found plenty of FNX45 though but I rather keep my CR75 because .45 ACP is rather scarce.

Edit:

It didn't say anything. :(

They are hard to catch though, almost can't see them in the grass. I crawled up to him but couldn't find him, when I stood up he ran away. So I took aim with my silenced CR75 and bam.

Have to say, my aim is getting pretty damn good. Killing a running animal which you barely can see is pretty impressive. :D

W4dthS1.jpg

Edited by IMT
  • Like 1

I haven't found a single AK47, AKM or AK101. If you know where they are at, please tell me.

I Found an AK74, a mag and over 60 rounds @balota&chapa prison buildings in one run.

Edited by halp

Been hunting for an SVD still haven't found one. Are there any? and where?

I've found a few magazines, but haven't seen the gun.

BTW - I've found everything I need for a kitted MP5k like the optics, hand rail, weapon flashlight, pistol silencer, and compensator. BUT for the love of ****, where are the buttstocks?

• Like 1

I've found a few magazines, but haven't seen the gun.

BTW - I've found everything I need for a kitted MP5k like the optics, hand rail, weapon flashlight, pistol silencer, and compensator. BUT for the love of ****, where are the buttstocks?

they are not spawning, just like hunter pants and a few other items.

they are not spawning, just like hunter pants and a few other items.

hunter pants spawn in school,all types :-)

fox,anyone see? cant find that animal

• Like 1

My guess is that they left the barrel out of stable on purpose. I mean carrying a tent which only consumes 4 spaces in inventory? Come one, that is way overpowered.

They've changed the size of items before.  How hard can it be?  

More overpowered than flare guns which can store any rifle? More overpowered than cooking pots, which double your carrying capacity?

The 2nd they turn persistence back on, we will not be overflowing with everything we could ever want as it is now.

And that will probably come with a persistence hive wipe. So don't get attached to your gear just yet.

I'm stocking up on popcorn for all the 'gimme back my loot or I quit!' posts when that happens.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

For AK's, hunt around the guard shack/latrine with the porches, and also around the wrecked tanks. These spots are hopped a lot right now, so on a server reset, be careful. I got sniped on the 420 server yesterday, but the guy ended up letting me live, gave me an IV drip and a 16-slot vest. Nice fella...

• Like 1