call him Steve

Developer Appreciation

Is there some way we can show the dev team some appreciation? 

In this update, these guys seem to be working extra hard. If you just look at the time stamps on the exp. .57 tweets these people are working until the wee hours of the morning and/or starting at the butt crack of dawn. Now this is just what I've noticed, but I'm sure they have been working this way for some time now. And all over the forums is negative crap. I don't think that all the good work is appreciated, but expected. I know how it is to work like that, and it does make the passion for your work waiver.  As for a long project like this, the team behind it needs to love it and the people that intend to use it.

• Like 11

send some beer to:

Bohemia Interactive a.s.

Stříbrná Lhota 747 
Mníšek pod Brdy 
252 10 
IČ: 27218864

zapsaná v obchodním rejstříku u Městského soudu v Praze, 
oddíl B, vložka 9791

edit: as mentiond below, this adress is not correct, as the dayz team is located in a different branch

and they wont tell the real adress because they are afraid of bandits :)

Edited by Hasi

It's normal in game industry to pull 12 and even 16 hours shifts for weeks and weeks and weeks to come. There is a name for for it, called crunch time. On the positive side, maybe they have a team which is split in different time zones. Not unusual to for big companies to have two teams collaborating together on the same project. Lastly, it could be just personal preference to work during the night and sleep during the day.

In this update, these guys seem to be working extra hard. If you just look at the time stamps on the exp. .57 tweets these people are working until the wee hours of the morning and/or starting at the butt crack of dawn. Now this is just what I've noticed, but I'm sure they have been working this way for some time now. And all over the forums is negative crap. I don't think that all the good work is appreciated, but expected. I know how it is to work like that, and it does make the passion for your work waiver.  As for a long project like this, the team behind it needs to love it and the people that intend to use it.

What? Sooo devs took my money, and you want to say that we should cheer them for their descisions? Thank you, but no. Money is their motivation.

They are moving in a wrong diriction, I'm not saying I can do a better game, but it seems to me that they don't know how to prioritize stuff. Performance -1, all other stuff should be less important. 

Who the hell in one's senses, would think "hmm, growing cabbages and tomatoes should be a thing in a zombie survival game".

• Like 1

Playing experimental and posting to the bug tracker

• Like 4

What? Sooo devs took my money, and you want to say that we should cheer them for their descisions? Thank you, but no. Money is their motivation.

They are moving in a wrong diriction, I'm not saying I can do a better game, but it seems to me that they don't know how to prioritize stuff. Performance -1, all other stuff should be less important. 

Who the hell in one's senses, would think "hmm, growing cabbages and tomatoes should be a thing in a zombie survival game".

Clearly you don't know anything game development then.

Are you suggesting optimisation happens first - before adding more survival-elements to a survival game?

If you are serious about that, I suggest you speak no further and leave immediately before you're being laughed at.

• Like 12

If you're going around saying these things don't be surprised if there's a backlash.

Edited by kichilron

Clearly you don't know anything game development then.

Are you suggesting optimisation happens first - before adding more survival-elements to a survival game?

If you are serious about that, I suggest you speak no further and leave immediately before you're being laughed at.

And you are a gamedev? Good preformance will not affect survival elements. Good performance is a main things CUSTOMERS want to see right now. 

I would agree with OP of bughemia would release aplha access for free, but I have paid for the game. DayZ is not a good instance of early access.

You are a genius...

• Like 1

And you are a gamedev? Good preformance will not affect survival elements. Good performance is a main things CUSTOMERS want to see right now. 

I would agree with OP of bughemia would release aplha access for free, but I have paid for the game. DayZ is not a good instance of early access.

As a matter of fact I know one or two things about game development. And you have just outed yourself as the one that's never read anything on this Forum ever. It's literally every other thread and any member that's been here for over a week could reiterate it for you:

First you add content, then you fix bugs. If you add content you'll inevitably break things, no point in optimising when you're adding elements.

• Like 6

As a matter of fact I know one or two things about game development. And you have just outed yourself as the one that's never read anything on this Forum ever. It's literally every other thread and any member that's been here for over a week could reiterate it for you:

First you add content, then you fix bugs. If you add content you'll inevitably break things, no point in optimising when you're adding elements.

Ok, how fishing could break framerate? How gardening could break framerate? How fixing stairs death could affect framerate?

Ok, how fishing could break framerate? How gardening could break framerate? How fixing stairs death could affect framerate?

If you don't understand the basics it's rather tedious discussing how it works.

post-38714-Grumpy-Cat-99-Little-Bugs-in-

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 3

If you don't understand the basics it's rather tedious discussing how it works.

post-38714-Grumpy-Cat-99-Little-Bugs-in-

Ok, we clearly will not come to some sort of agreement on this.

I predict this thread will close pretty soon. So I'll get in my chops before, assuming I hit the "Add Reply" button in time.

The OP wants the game to be completed while it's still an alpha. Hmmmm. He wants perfect performance while the game is still being built. Things that make you go "Hmmm".

Which begs the question to the OP. Are you itching for a flame war? Or do you always ask silly questions? Or, are you trying to see how many people will react to your clearly uninformed query as some way of entertaining yourself?

Just wondering.

Edited by BulletGarden
  • Like 1

You don't need to cheer them at all imo. But they do need you help testing their game. If you have fun along the way great. If you don't then stop doing it.

Your point re money: Obviously bohemia want to make money but as well as that they want to make great games. No-one wants a shit game on their cv. So let's pretend this game never gets finished and it just makes loads of money through ea sales - how does that benefit hicks or harton? It doesn't. SO I don't see the logic in what you are claiming. It would destroy bohemia's reputation. Are you saying they'll change their names and go from kickstarter to kickstarter for the rest of their lives and just produce shit games that sell loads in ea but never end up finished? There's no logic to your argument. They could just stop development now if it was just about money. As far as I know they are under no legal obligation to finish the game. And yet what I see is bi staff when they aren't working on the game, they are playing and when they aren't playing they are watching people play.

I honestly think people buy stuff just to complain about it and ea means they get years of complaining so it's a cheap way to bitch. Either way it's value for money.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 2

You don't need to cheer them at all imo. But they do need you help testing their game. If you have fun along the way great. If you don't then stop doing it.

Your point re money: Obviously bohemia want to make money but as well as that they want to make great games. No-one wants a shit game on their cv. So let's pretend this game never gets finished and it just makes loads of money through ea sales - how does that benefit hicks or harton? It doesn't. SO I don't see the logic in what you are claiming. Are you saying they'll change their names and go from kickstarter to kickstarter for the rest of their lives and just produce shit games that sell loads in ea but never end up finished? There's no logic to your argument. They could just stop development now if it was just about money. As far as I know they are under no legal obligation to finish the game. And yet what I see is bi staff when they aren't working on the game, they are playing and when they aren't playing they are watching people play.

I honestly think people buy stuff just to complain about it and ea means they get years of complaining so it's a cheap way to bitch. Either way it's value for money.

So they dont have to finish game at all?  I'm saying being a fanboy doesn't help devs, if you will accept everything they make 1.0 release would be a mess. Why I can not express my thoughts on a current state of a development? Tell me.

So they dont have to finish game at all?  I'm saying being a fanboy doesn't help devs, if you will accept everything they make 1.0 release would be a mess. Why I can not express my thoughts on a current state of a development? Tell me.

Everyone replying to your posts are giving legitimate reasons why optimization is left for the later stages of beta, and new content is the focus for alpha.

If reading the forums regularly and understanding how the development process of a game works makes me a "fanboy", then maybe you should try being a "fanboy" too... You'd realize how backwards your thinking is and how the criticism you are providing is helping nobody and just annoying the people who actually are following the development of this game.

EDIT: In response to OP: I agree, the devs deserve praise for being so open and transparent in the game development process. I'm sure they are used to people like this evil11 saying they are doing a crap job. I just wish there was a place for the people actually looking to help the development process to openly discuss features in the game without having to see the same shitpost every day about how someone could do a better job than the crew at BI is doing. Closest thing I can find is the experimental discussion threads, which generally have people willing to contribute in a constructive fashion. 

Edited by tux
  • Like 4

Criticism is allowed.

Trolling, however, isn't. And what you're doing is not in any way reasonable. To have a discussion there needs to be a certain degree of unterstanding the other sides involved. You don't even bother with any of that.

Consider this your last warning. If you don't want to engage in a discussion, this is not the place for you.

• Like 1

send some beer to:

Bohemia Interactive a.s.

Stříbrná Lhota 747 

Mníšek pod Brdy 

252 10 

That's sending it to the wrong team. Just saying  ^_^

• Like 2

Nobody is stopping you from spouting your opinion. They're just ridiculing you, and rightly so since you have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm not a game dev. I've dabbled in mods and the work I do means I interact with a lot of game devs and they often tell me what processes they go through when making games (I like to be friendly with my clients, plus I do have a genuine interest) but I don't create games myself. However, I have a pretty basic understanding of the passes that development goes through and things like optimisation usually come at the end. You, however, are not privy to this information because the notion of 'releasing' a game mid-development is relatively new. People are used to having a game be announced and then have it magically appear a few months later.

But I do agree. It isn't necessary that you thank or congratulate the devs as you've already given them their money. However, it's a nice thing to do. Even after I'm paid it's nice when a client says "you did a really good job". It's not necessary, it's just nice to receive validation and to know that my work is to a high standard. You also have to realise that the developers, most likely, probably quite like making games. The money is a big factor, sure, but I daresay that these guys love what they do. I don't doubt that knowing that they've made (or are making) a game that people enjoy forms the basis of why they make games in the first place.

• Like 5

It's way too hot out here to try and put together yet another cohesive rebuttal to flamers who don't know enough to know how and why they are wrong, so I'm not gonna.

TLDR: Shut Up. :)

Edit: Where need I to be sending the beer?

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 1

I've been banned from this forum and steam so even though I consider myself a fan I couldn't be considered a fan boy. I don't think you understand the difference between criticism and constructive criticism. They want detailed constructive criticism whereas someone saying "omg this is shit" doesn't help. Have you ever posted to the tracker with specific issues?

For the record, I think .55 was a terrible release and I think maybe even the devs recognise that. Me saying it's shit doesn't help, Me posting detailed feedback on the shit things happened to me helps.

I do agree that blind fanboys are as damaging to the game as people like you though.

• Like 3

With all due respect this is not the one and only true way.

As seen by 7 Days to Die (which I do not play, before someone pulls "the fanboi card") it is possible to add features while tackling bugs and performance issues. Their team has been doing this from the beginning, even during the process of porting over to Unity 5, despite having nowhere near the resources Bohemia does and selling their product for less than DayZ. There's a reason that game is rapidly increasing in popularity while DayZ is dying on its arse and has the reputation for being the poster child for people who are increasingly tired of early access.

The performance has probably been one of the biggest complaints about DayZ since the beginning, probably just behind the infected being an utter joke. If that were addressed, not even fully but at least to a meaningful degree, I am certain this game would be back on top of the Steam sales charts and stay there for some time. I mean Christ, for this reason alone numerous people I used to play with have gone over to H1Z1 even though they're fully aware of how gash that game and its cash shop system are.

On topic: Developer appreciation thread? Nah, I've made enough excuses for these guys over the years and they've made enough money.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina
  • Like 2

YOU gave them your money.  They didn't hack your steam account and transfer $30 to theirs.  Before I gave them my money there was a page that said "WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING."  Mater of fact, it said that TWICE on the same page.  I don't know about you but not many game companies say 'don't buy our game, it's not finished.' they say BUY NOW AND GET THE GAMESTOP EXCLUSIVE CHROME AK EDITION WHEN IT COMES OUT IN 12 MONTHS!!!  BUY NOW!

*EDIT*

Also, now you can actually try and get a refund, instead of just saying "I want a refund" and pissing in the wind.

Edited by BigMike

With all due respect this is not the one and only true way.

As seen by 7 Days to Die (which I do not play, before someone pulls "the fanboi card") it is possible to add features while tackling bugs and performance issues. Their team has been doing this from the beginning, even during the process of porting over to Unity 5, despite having nowhere near the resources Bohemia does and selling their product for less than DayZ. There's a reason that game is rapidly increasing in popularity while DayZ is dying on its arse and has the reputation for being the poster child for people who are increasingly tired of early access.

The performance has probably been one of the biggest complaints about DayZ since the beginning, probably just behind the infected being an utter joke. If that were addressed, not even fully but at least to a meaningful degree, I am certain this game would be back on top of the Steam sales charts and stay there for some time. I mean Christ, for this reason alone numerous people I used to play with have gone over to H1Z1 even though they're fully aware of how gash that game and its cash shop system are.

Battlefield and Call of Duty have much bigger wallets and resources then most game developers. I would bet more then DayZ has. Yet, Battlefield 4 and COD: Ghosts both performed horribly when they were released. What's their excuse?

DayZ is dying on its arse? According to whom? Did you conduct a world wide poll to determine the popularity of DayZ?

Or are you just bored and want to fight someone? Just curious.