LeBus

My problem with DayZ Standalone

I've been admining the UK 111 DayZ Mod servers for the last year and DayZ SA comes up quite regularly in conversation, so I am writing this with not only my thoughts but the ones of the players that regularly play on our servers.

Firstly. Too many players want different things for it to only have one build. The community is split between a pvp orientated game and a survival of the fittest orientated game. The current build in my opinion is survival orientated. To say it bluntly, the pvp aspect of the game is so unbalanced that I see drastic measures needed to be changed.

This is why I believe the only way this game will be fully credible is if modding is released sooner rather than later. Communities like ours, that already have a large influence and player base, will manage to create mods that will be mainly based on our current players' demands, pvp.

This will take the pvp thirsty players away from players who want to play the game 'properly'. Both sides of the community will have what they want. Official servers and a minority of community servers will be able to progress with a survival based game while most community owned servers will be able to create new content based on the wants from the other half of the community.

Simply look at the DayZ mod servers, they thrive from dedicated communities. Standalone needs modding for it to be a world class game. Thanks for reading,

LeBus

I think you are overlooking a certain facet of human nature with your 'separate but equal' philosophy.  There will always be significant numbers of people who get their LOLZ from griefing--playing the game with the express interest of "ruining" other peoples' day.  True, that servers modded for specialized PVP experiences will likely draw many of the more skilled PVP enthusiasts, but there will always be a group of people who will purposely play on the vanilla servers just to waste other people's time.

For this reason, the environmental factors, and biological concerns are designed to FORCE players to play the game in a certain manner that precludes simply sitting in cover and sniping bambis until you run out of bullets.  I say throw us all into the great melting pot and see what happens first.  I know that this game was born from a mod, so it is important to include those tools at some point down the line, but what is the point of BI even finishing the game if it is just going to turn into a dozen different games in the first week.

There will be plenty of time for mods in the future. Why not give a little respect to all the hard work that these nice people are putting in, and just play for a while in the sandbox they're building for us.  It's just unseemly in a way; like bringing a cutting board and your own vegetables into a restaurant to doctor up the meal you just bought.  Way to insult the chef!

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 3

Modding is planed once the game is fully released and the tools required are available.

This is known by all those that follow development.

Your problem with DayZ is a sign of impatience.

All things come to he that waits  ;)

• Like 6

I understand what you mean and I'm not one of these guys who claims the dev's work is trash but

let's get the community involved and see what they can come up with. If mods like DayZ origins came to SA, so many more people would be interested. SA servers simply cannot stand against the DayZ Mod servers despite it being so much newer. I understand this whole 'pre-alpha' situation but surely having people do content for free will just boost development.

Simply look at the hacked servers that imported the arma 2 vehicles when SA first came out, people went crazy for them because they actually included a lot of content.

After all, competition for the devs wouldn't be a bad thing.

Hello there

There is a large disparity between what many players "want" from the game and the game the devs are going to make.

Many folk *will* find the SA not to their taste as they probably never played the vanilla game.

Those of us who preferred the vanilla over any other mod of the mod will by large appreciate the SA when it's released.

All others will have to wait patiently for modding to be opened up.

The point being is that the SA will not be Epoch or Origins or any "cool" mod of the mod.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 4

someone will "depoch" the SA into "SApoch -chernarus disneyland"

or is that "epochified" ?

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

Modding is planed once the game is fully released and the tools required are available.

This is known by all those that follow development.

Your problem with DayZ is a sign of impatience.

All things come to he that waits  ;)

Yippie!!! cant wait actually. Getting heavy into the arma moding now, as stated in the other topic. Should be loads of fun actually. Then we should hopefully be able to host our very own servers like Arma 3 :)

See not all of us are bad admins :) we just need a good bec script running, and good security and all should be fine.

Hello there

There is a large disparity between what many players "want" from the game and the game the devs are going to make.

Many folk *will* find the SA not to their taste as they probably never played the vanilla game.

Those of us who preferred the vanilla over any other mod of the mod will by large appreciate the SA when it's released.

The point being is that the SA will not be Epoch or Origins or any "cool" mod of the mod.

Rgds

LoK

That's really good to hear, Epoch is good mind you but not dayz. It does very well at doing their own thing. As I strongly am doing Arma 3 Epoch, its quite different then anything in dayz.

The map, is standard, very limited design. But as Epoch stated in 2013 its not about zombies anymore. So yes I agree its totally different then dayz.

I am running epoch 3.03 R7 with desert map, and full military type scene. Loads of cool scripts from the community, and just plain lots of fun.

Giving the community choice is so much worth it, players will experience hours and hours of fun.

Got the Alpha tools out yet????? hint hint !!! wink wink, email is .............. just pm me the moding tools when you get them hehe

Keep crossing your fingers guys, all will be good in the future.

This may be a bold statement but the community is shrinking rapidly, waiting until the game is released before releasing modding will mean to many people and communities will lose interest.

You may call me impatient, but so is the big majority of the community.

not so true lebus, in fact arma 3 proved to bring many back with moding and introduce new people daily. If you give dayz a chance it will bring many back that enjoy new things.

Infected always will keep people interested. Sony's version will be standalone only so dayz having the ability to mod, plus run vanilla dayz will overwhelm the steam downloads.

If you give people options like this they will take it and come in droves to play.

People like me are just waiting till it goes further in development, and I know of many people just taking a small break. Most of us tested and retested items, and just worn out of it. It also costs admins a fair amount of $$ at this time to host dayz SA.

I feel this game will explode, and those not getting it at the cheaper price will not benefit from it. I paid 134$ cdn for arma 3 with the dlc stuffs, and it goes on half price and all of a sudden everyone buys it.

Dayz is alone by itself in the market.

Hello there

Rgds

LoK

with you on that one

can't wait for more cars to join in^^

ah the fun i had in my SZ1203... so awesome offroad and onroad, and all my friends had a place to sit...

the only viable way other than modding that I can see bringing in a large amount of people, at least to get into the top 10 most played games on steam, would be a crazy big update like rust had.

One with decent base building, more working vehicles and solid performance - I'll restrain myself from crying about the performance of the current build. Yes it's pre-alpha, but listen to what people want.

On a side note, why are there still no bicycles? First thing I'd do if I got my hands on it would be to add in 50+ bicycles on the map, people will like that without doubt.

I expect new skills will be required to mod DayZ SA.

In much the same way that Enforce is not crossover compatible with ArmA VR, expect a different tool set than that of ArmA BI Tools for DayZ SA.

On a side note, why are there still no bicycles? First thing I'd do if I got my hands on it would be to add in 50+ bicycles on the map, people will like that without doubt.

...this is why I am not looking forward to modding. I dont want the challenge that will some day be DayZ to be lost under the weight of easy mode mods as has happenned in the past. Understand I am not anti-MOD, the first MODs I created were for DOOM through the WAD Editor so I have been exposed to MOD movement for quite some time. I just think a game should have a chance to stretch it's legs before the community is allowed to gut it.

Also, requesting MOD support before the game is out of Alpha is rather arrogant of the community.

• Like 4

I'm quite disappointed in the arrogance of the OP. Associating mod tools with keeping people interested in a game that is still in alpha is the most conceited line of reasoning I've ever witnessed.

Most people never get their hands on games until they're released to the general public. Even suggesting "competition" for the developers is really insulting. As if the developers have time to compete with YOU while they're busy working on creating the best version of the game they can.

I've never seen a game based forum with so many know-it-alls filling up threads with such garbage. Let them finish the game. Show some respect.

• Like 1

You may call me impatient, but so is the big majority of the community.

YOU AND THE 99% !!!! why dont we all hang around the coast. OCCUPY electro..as a form of protest...

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

People need to understand that a large part of the community like these incredibly easy, non-challenging mods. But if you don't like it then there would still be the standard build to go play on.

Rant all you want BulletGarden, but that's a genuine desire from people. I'd gladly invite you to my forums to speak amongst 350+ people who play dayz on a regular basis, they will all share opinions close to mine.

why are you portraying yourself as speaker of peoples, like the devs are so out of touch or something? the devs and the community are active, some of us don't like certain builds, some of us take breaks, some of us take part in experimental builds. The game isn't dying, people just play other stuff and check back later and have another few weeks/months of DayZ, I know I do.

Mod the shit out of it before it's even classed as released?

then maybe "Join my server and donate for a starting loadout and lockable garage/hideout?"

no ta.

I'm quite disappointed in the arrogance of the OP. Associating mod tools with keeping people interested in a game that is still in alpha is the most conceited line of reasoning I've ever witnessed.

Most people never get their hands on games until they're released to the general public. Even suggesting "competition" for the developers is really insulting. As if the developers have time to compete with YOU while they're busy working on creating the best version of the game they can.

I've never seen a game based forum with so many know-it-alls filling up threads with such garbage. Let them finish the game. Show some respect.

No, no, you see everyone on this forum works for Valve, Ubisoft, Doublefine, you name it. Everyone here is a l33t videogame designer which makes their opinion right all the time and so the devs are doing a shitty job. I think cockrend69 and $$deanhallisg4y$$ should take over development because those sons of bitches know what they're talking about. It's an empirical, scientific fact that when a dev team has loads of money, development speeds up relative to the amount of money they have, so there's no excuse for the devs to not make the game in 35 minutes because they have approximately 11 trillion dollars.

We also all know that BI headquarters has a big switch on the wall labeled "enable modding for DayZ" but those greedy fuckers refuse to flip it, even though enabling modding for a game takes absolutely no time or effort whatsoever, and will in no way impede the development process or drive away the modding community because frequent updates will render mods obsolete every month. No sir. They're just bastards.

• Like 5

and don't forget when they release the barbie pasta shapes and try to eat them it will prompt you to by the Morrisons pack DLC forcing you to pick apples and berries while geared up bandits who have run up their mams credit card take shots at you foraging in your Y-fronts

People need to understand that a large part of the community like these incredibly easy, non-challenging mods. But if you don't like it then there would still be the standard build to go play on.

Rant all you want BulletGarden, but that's a genuine desire from people. I'd gladly invite you to my forums to speak amongst 350+ people who play dayz on a regular basis, they will all share opinions close to mine.

so are you speaking for the 350+ or the 103448+ that own SA? i've hosted several different DayZMod servers but always came back to vanilla, the only iteration i haven't hosted is 1.8.5 as there were a few other games i wanted to try, and i'm still a little limited for space on the ol' dedibox. the other Mods, however enjoyable seemed forced.

i too am waiting for modding, because at that point i will be able to host my own server on my hardware on my connection. the key word so far though is "waiting". some know how to and some dont. people genuinely desire lots of different things, for different reasons, most of which are beyond their control. my hope is that someday "people" will learn something i was forced to learn from both hardship and repetition. learn to be happy with what you have, when you have it. learn to wait with patience. you and the holmes arent digging SA right now? move on, rage quit, play something else to spite the DayZ godZ....just realize that you do come across as an impatient, demanding, somewhat insulting individual to suggest that the developers are fucking up their own game when it isnt even close to finished...have fun with your fifty bikes...i'll be busy in the trees and streets of vanilla

*edit...nicely done BeefBacon, fucking hilarious

*edit#2...my bad--roughly 103448 users based on $3 million in sales as of January of this year, figured by dividing by $29, which, while not the current price, was the price that the majority of folks paid. im not deluded, just usually doing 5-6 other things while posting, and possibly a bit dyslexic. as far as i know, where it stands on steams "most played" has nothing to do with how many people own it.

Edited by thznutz

someone will "depoch" the SA into "SApoch -chernarus disneyland"

or is that "epochified" ?

Im ok with this. It can be just as brutal. XD

Donald%20Shotgun--article_image.jpg

Mickey%20Gun1--article_image.jpg

tumblr_n1b9bmQ3us1qa70eyo1_500.gif

Edited by Deathlove

Am I the only one who feels separating PvP oriented players from PvE oriented survivors is a terrible idea? The mix of playstyles is what I feel makes DayZ SA such an exciting game environment. Seems like a poor reason to push MOD support.

Also, what Beef Bacon said.