Anax

The new dynamic reticle looks nice but is still inaccurate for hipfire :(

The new dynamic reticle that follows the weapons movement looks very promising but why is it still inaccurate while hipfiring?

I thought that the problem was that the reticle wasnt dynamic. I wouldnt mind if the bullet hit somewhere between the reticle brackets but in most cases when you are hipfiring targets close to you the bullet hits lower than the reticle.

If the devs feel that hipfire needs to be inaccurate the curent reticle isnt a solution because people that play casualy will find it always dificult to hipfire compaired to veteran players.So hipfire is inaccurate only for new players or players that dont play that often.

The new dynamic reticle that follows the weapons movement looks very promising but why is it still inaccurate while hipfiring?

I thought that the problem was that the reticle wasnt dynamic. I wouldnt mind if the bullet hit somewhere between the reticle brackets but in most cases when you are hipfiring targets close to you the bullet hits lower than the reticle.

If the devs feel that hipfire needs to be inaccurate the curent reticle isnt a solution because people that play casualy will find it always dificult to hipfire compaired to veteran players.So hipfire is inaccurate only for new players or players that dont play that often.

LOL hip fire ,the act of firing without aiming down the sights, from the hip is inaccurate? Oh wow revelation, who would have thought shooting with out aiming would be anything but dead perfect accuracy ,why on earth would people need to AIM to hit things lol...

Revelation 2, people who practice at something will be better than those who do it casually... I love some of these posts , all i can say is i hope your trolling, really i do...

• Like 11

Why would you assume that firing from the hip should be inherently accurate?

Unless I was using a shotgun, I don't think that I could hit a damn thing that was more than 10m away, unless I aimed down the sights. The devs may not be trying to model real life in minute detail, but they certainly are not building an arcade game.

• Like 2

It might be one of the core concepts to be better at something when you learn how to do it and got some experience. So I would call this fact (casuals having a harder time hip-firing than veterans) a feature.

Why would you prevent players from getting a reward for putting in time and effort?

LOL most of the above guys that answered have just memorized where each weapon hits when hipfiring and now say that the REST of the people have to be inaccurate while hipfiring.

I would be happy if there was no reticle at all.But since there is there is no reason for the reticle to be in the wrong place.

In real life ,at 5 meters you can shoot someone in the torso while hipfiring....not like this reticle that will shoot him past his left knee while you aim at the torso 

LOL hip fire ,the act of firing without aiming down the sights, from the hip is inaccurate? Oh wow revelation, who would have thought shooting with out aiming would be anything but dead perfect accuracy ,why on earth would people need to AIM to hit things lol...

Revelation 2, people who practice at something will be better than those who do it casually... I love some of these posts , all i can say is i hope your trolling, really i do...

^^ This.

OP your two 'problems' are pretty comical and I can't reply better than above.

• Like 1

In other games everybody is inaccurate when hipfiring.With this reticule in this game only new/casual players are inaccurate.

If you cannot understant this then I guess there is no point posting again.

I can beat other players usually by positioning and reflexes but the guys above want to have the unfair advantage too....very brave guys yea

never mind, not going to reply no more....thanks for the help

ps:knowing which gun hits lower and right while hipfiring and how much is not "experience".You might have a piece of paper that lists all of this...that is not experience in a game...even someone else might have given that to you....pfff unbelievable people

LOL most of the above guys that answered have just memorized where each weapon hits when hipfiring and now say that the REST of the people have to be inaccurate while hipfiring.

If this was true your post would actually just imply that you do want free power for people who do not want to go through the effort of memorizing how their weapons hit. Which boils down to: I do not want people to be rewarded for their knowledge.

Now I agree that everyone should be inaccurate when hipfiring but I would rather remove potential power by forcing a certain amount of free aim and keeping the reticle in the middle of your screen. This would actually emphasize learning over just having the information or not.

I also like the idea of individual weapon bias where specific guns shoot slightly different. This would emphasize keeping your own gun and maintaining it over just picking up a new one. It would also mean that the "knowledge power spike" affects new and veteran players alike.

• Like 1

..//..

In real life ,at 5 meters you can shoot someone in the torso while hipfiring....not like this reticle that will shoot him past his left knee while you aim at the torso 

hmmm ... in real life, at 5 meters - where is the reticle pointing exactly ?

xx

HINT:

You aren't supposed to hipfire.

Firearms have sights for a reason.

If some idiot wants to stand in the middle of a street and "hipfire" at you with an AKM, be my guest. He is probably going to miss 29/30 shots

• Like 5

I think they changed it to discourage hip firing, the sights work great if you see your target before it see you which is kind what you "shoot" for in a gunfight. 

• Like 1

I would be happy if there was no reticle at all.But since there is there is no reason for the reticle to be in the wrong place.

I don't agree with you. The new reticle isn't as good as the dot we used to have but I can still hit whatever is in front of me without a problem. I'd really like the dot back but I doubt that's going to happen. My main gripe would be looting things with the new reticle. You have to get it just so in order to pick something up, it's quite irritating.

Edited by Schweinsteiger

I hipfire killed two zombies with a shotgun. I wouldn't even try it with a full auto weapon unless they were right in my face. Hipfire is never accurate and never should be.

• Like 1

In other games everybody is inaccurate when hipfiring.With this reticule in this game only new/casual players are inaccurate.

If you cannot understant this then I guess there is no point posting again.

I can beat other players usually by positioning and reflexes but the guys above want to have the unfair advantage too....very brave guys yea

never mind, not going to reply no more....thanks for the help

ps:knowing which gun hits lower and right while hipfiring and how much is not "experience".You might have a piece of paper that lists all of this...that is not experience in a game...even someone else might have given that to you....pfff unbelievable people

what's unbelievable is that your posts seem to say you want accuracy without making the effort to learn where the gun is possibly going to hit when firing from the hip.

you really do sound like you're saying "waaa make gun hit where I want so I don't have to go trough all the hassle of moving my mouse 1/10 of a fucking inch upwards and to the left!!"

I hate all those "l2p and get gud" replies some people get.. but Jesus Christ man.. L.. 2.. P

• Like 1

I say bring back the dot and have it go away when you have a firearm or melee weapon in hand. I only hip fire when a situation demands it and I typically consume 3x the ammo getting the job done unless using a shotgun.

There are a significant amount of things to complain about in this game's current form, this is not one of them. 0/10 would not listen to you bitch again.

• Like 1

i hip-fired and uzi once in real life tried to hit a can setup like 20 feet away. trust me you can't hit shit i tried hitting things closer and not only did i feel unsafe doing it i felt like a jackass and again i couldn't hit shit and surprisingly a uzi is very accurate when aiming down sights and yes it was a legal firearm. so after all that yes hip fire should be inaccurate. only gun that i use hipfire with in dayz is the pump shotgun on zeds and i've got it down to how close they need to be for me to hit them and i usually never miss.

If this was true your post would actually just imply that you do want free power for people who do not want to go through the effort of memorizing how their weapons hit. Which boils down to: I do not want people to be rewarded for their knowledge.

Now I agree that everyone should be inaccurate when hipfiring but I would rather remove potential power by forcing a certain amount of free aim and keeping the reticle in the middle of your screen. This would actually emphasize learning over just having the information or not.

I also like the idea of individual weapon bias where specific guns shoot slightly different. This would emphasize keeping your own gun and maintaining it over just picking up a new one. It would also mean that the "knowledge power spike" affects new and veteran players alike.

i agree with you one of the best weapons in the game should be knowledge and your brain. and i have a favorite weapon its the pump shotgun most might not like it but i know how to hit the target and its useful in many scenario's and great for hold-ups none tries anything when thats pointed at them so usually it helps both parties get out alive. i haven't had a reason for a hold-up lately but figured i'd add that for the sake of usefulness of the tool.

the reticle is not there for aiming weapons, its for people that have trouble picking things up.

Put a dot in the exact middle of your screen to check this out.

What you have here is this.. you have a LINE of SIGHT and you have a GUN LINE

Your line of sight is ABOVE your gun line when you are holding the gun on your hip. And at some distance they CROSS.

But when you aim down the sights your line of sight and your gun line are the same - EXCEPT that the gunsight is set to a RANGE, so the shot will rise above that line and drop back down to it with distance and then fall below it.

YALL got that ?? So if you think about it a TINY bit you see that aiming at the reticle AND aiming along the sights is ONLY going to hit the target at CERTAIN distances.

So don't tell me one works and the other don't work and don't even ever think it. Cause you are wrong.

Both work so long as you have an idea what you doing - both don't work if you dont have an idea what you doing.

check online for many pages of REAL LIFE "How TO Shoot" - both 'sight shooting' and 'instinct shooting'

Whichever - They ALL say the same thing - you got to LEARN it to get GOOD .. neither of them is point-and-click

check how shooting is calculated from the gun position in DayZ

Then try this stuff in 3P and 1P, it's not the same line of sight, dude. Have fun

OK ??

The moral for OP - if you want to snapshoot from the hip AND use the reticle to do it - someone standing close, just shoot at the base of their neck. It ain't difficult.

xx

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

the reticle is not there for aiming weapons, its for people that have trouble picking things up.

Correct it is there to help you interact with the environment.

If you play Far Cry 3 with Ziggy's mod installed, you'll see just how difficult it is (in something that is borderline an arcade game) to do something as simply as looting a body.

My opinion appears to be very different. In the old west and still today, fast draw shooters hip fire and are extremely accurate, shooting bottles out of the air etc. Once you fire the gun enough, the aim becomes part of your arm. Now as for this game, the old dot target always needed to be aimed to the left and a little higher, for instance at 20 feet I would aim at the left edge of the zombie at his elbow to hit him dead center stomach. If you hold your mouse very still and aim and then switch to sights you will see where you are really aiming and how much you would need to correct, some practice and you will find aiming to the left some fixes the missing issue. My opinion, the target should be accurate with the dot or the new (  ) style, accurate to some extent, having it off left and high is silly. I love shooting from sights but when I am getting rolled by multiple zombies or players, I have to go in and out of sights mode to move fast to another shooting location and it makes it very difficult, along with the fact that sometimes I accidentally get stuck in sights mode and crawling along when I don't want to during a difficult fight. 

• Like 2

I agree I say remove it across all modes.

Yea I know...people tell me learn2play and stuff but all I say is that removing it completle makes more sence than having it wrong.

First of all it is not (exactly)how the other guys say because the reticle is changing position when you change stanses and it is changing in respect to the weapon not to your line of sight.

Also in real life I was going hunting for a couple of years, with shotguns(I stoped going because I hate shooting defenceless animals) and many times I have seen expierienced hunters one shot kill!!! rabits at 5 meters from hipfire.(they shoot while raizing the gun to the shoulder....I mean they will continue shooting from the sights/shoulder if they miss the first shot ...but in many cases they dont ,the pellet spread + the experience is enought).So it looks something like the cowboys in wild west , I mean they shoot the first shot from the hip (using Number 5 shotgun bullets , pellets a little smaller than small beans)

.....ohh I forgot ...also hunting for some birds(I dont know the name of the bird in english).You just walk among the trees and the dog(that you must have for this case) now and then scares the birds that are on the trees.The birds fly of the trees and disapear so fast that in this kind of hunting you never aiming at the level of your eye ,you have the shotgun a litle lower than your chin AFTER you shoot again while raizing.And the distances are a lot bigger in this case ,10-20 meters or much more(of course the pellets are a lot more too,Number 9 shotgun bullets ,pellets around 2-3 milimeters diameter).

Edited by Anax
  • Like 1