boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.55 Discussion

Might be the vest you are wearing or pre/post 0.55, I noticed my pistol was not showing in the holster (not sure which character, so many hives...)

• Like 1

It's all a matter of taste. Currently 0.55 is my favorite iteration of DayZ to date. I've been playing since December 18th 2013 and right now I can't get enough of DayZ.... 

It's only temporary, so better enjoy it while we can!

It might be temporary as in this iteration, but I think we are finally starting to see the game turn in the direction is was intended for all along...and I couldn't be more thrilled

• Like 5

I don't see where all the complaints are coming from. I've deleted/not playing till/this game is broken etc...

I have 140 hours in this game. (This is the only PC game i play) And i understand the fact it's in ALPHA and is a work in progress. Yes at the moment the Z's don't work right, that's because the devs are working on them. Although i hate their silent approach and massively long arms i'm sure this will be fixed so i live with it.  (I kinda like the way they are now, easy to avoid)

I personally haven't had a problem finding food and gear in 0.55 but i've always got away from the coast and looted the smaller villages anyway so loot collection, if anything, is better now because i don't have to go to Military type places for things like vests, ammo and such. 

I'm a survivor, i decided that is what i will be in this game and that is what i will be and as a survivor i will adapt as the game changes until completion. 

• Like 6

This is my guy (public) that's been alive since 0.55 came in.

ch2a2U7.jpg

ieg5HIb.jpg

2Mrb5lM.jpg

Edited by orlok
Add the spoiler tag if you are gong to use more than one pic, please.
  • Like 1

I don't see where all the complaints are coming from. I've deleted/not playing till/this game is broken etc...

I have 140 hours in this game. (This is the only PC game i play) And i understand the fact it's in ALPHA and is a work in progress. Yes at the moment the Z's don't work right, that's because the devs are working on them. Although i hate their silent approach and massively long arms i'm sure this will be fixed so i live with it.  (I kinda like the way they are now, easy to avoid)

I personally haven't had a problem finding food and gear in 0.55 but i've always got away from the coast and looted the smaller villages anyway so loot collection, if anything, is better now because i don't have to go to Military type places for things like vests, ammo and such. 

I'm a survivor, i decided that is what i will be in this game and that is what i will be and as a survivor i will adapt as the game changes until completion. 

I totally agree with your sentiments, especially those highlighted red.  

I've gotten fairly geared (High cap vest, SKS w/scope and ammo, trumpet with plenty of ammo for the infected, healthy, etc.) by just skulking around small villages.

I said something similar (having to adapt to a changing game) to a complainer the other day. In fact I kinda like how I've changed play styles over the past couple years going from the Mod through all the SA builds. You get more than one game for the price of one...kinda

• Like 2

An SKS would complete me right now, i got like 200 7.62x39mm rounds and a 10 round clip. That said i got a drum mag and pso1 scope so an AKM wouldn't hurt.  :D

I think at the moment you either get lucky or you don't. I wouldn't go looting on very busy servers, because you simply have slim chances to find anything decent. 10-15 people is what I've seen maximum on the server I play. And it fluctuates, as people are still serverhopping at the choppercrashes after restart. I have the bad habit of taking everything I find useful, even if we already have a tent full of that same stuff. Maybe I'm a hoarder, maybe that's just how I always played. But sadly it means that whoever roams an area after me and my friends will find no loot at all. And that's where I see the problem for players, who are trying to get decent equipment or simply food.

The bright side is that the tents can only hold so much gear, and I even stopped picking up MP5 and the likes now. That's where I think things are going to change for new players on the long run. At some point there will be lots of tents full of loot and there will be more PvP again. Instead of going after military installations, some players will focus on raiding camps. (Which is, why I already plan our camps around future landmine placements ^^)  So with more people having tents and less loot getting picked up, most new players will be able to find something in the future. The problem is, we aren't at this point yet and I hope the persistence will continue to work, until we reach that point and see how it plays out.  

I also started setting up a supply tent near Rify, so I can get myself to health if I die and spawn near. Tomorrow, I'll put the rest of supplies in the tent and write a note for people, who might find it. They'll have a choice to either disassemble it and take what they can carry or leave it be and let me restock supplies from time to time.  

• Like 1

so i have completed an epic journey from cherno to svetlo. it took me 3 days and like 20h. i looted nearly every city that was inland between them and made a couple of detours. i was lucky cause i found a trumpet early on and tons of ammo for it. 0.55 is by far the patch that i had the most fun on. memorable stuff:

- only found about 10 cans, all of tactical bacon and all in those outside toilets

- only found 2 guns, the trumpet and a repeater when i was already an hour or two away from svetlo.

- didn't see a single soul even when the server was full. 

- the game felt like an apple picking simluator sometimes.

- only saw 1 chicken, 4 cows and 1 deer during my journey. i killed all of them and ate them raw, was lucky not to get sick. they really need to improve the whole cooking aspect of the game

- managed to catch a fish but it only gave me guts :(

- the ashwood bow is broken in 0.55

- had my legs broken 4 times by zombies. the ai is great and they could be even more badass  B)

- best way to kill z's (apart from shooting them) is hitting them in the head with the brass knuckles (1 hit kill)

- the loot system isn't broken. i assume all the guns were taken and as it was a private sever they didn't respawn, beacuse i found plenty of other goodies and tons of ammo/clips. only thing   that needs tweaking is the food distribution. i really got tired of picking berries and apples all the time in order not to stave to death.

but great jobs devs, really like where this is heading!

Edited by burrito95

At some point there will be lots of tents full of loot and there will be more PvP again. Instead of going after military installations, some players will focus on raiding camps.

It is already a viable tactic and helped me immensely in prolonging the life of my 0.55 crazy giggling berry-eating hermit character.

Except that I don't raid — I wait for everyone to be gone, sneak in, take a few things that I need and leave a few things of mine that I don't (Cholera canteens, piles of guts, …), along with a thank-you note.  :rolleyes:

• Like 5

I honestly enjoy sneaking and this patch came like a present for me. Also besides that I started using my guns against zombies here and there which I never did before, it's a good practice at least :)

• Like 1

you die of starvation or you die of dehydration in a matter of minutes, not realistic at all considering that a human being can survive up to 10 days without food and only 3 days without water (tried and tested myself)

Obviously that's not true, you're still here.

Alright...Now this is my first time posting ever in these forums so I do apologize if this has been discussed already and I'm in breach of protocol here but I'm curious about something and I have to ask. Now, I've been playing since the 2nd month of Alpha release (minus the last 4 months or so while waiting for things to improve a bit development-wise) and not once have I ever had any issues whatsoever when it comes to finding food, gear, etc. Not that it was always easy, mind you, but I eventually found at least the bare minimum to stay alive. Since the implementation of 0.55 I have respawned and died some 5 or 6 times simply because I could not find any food/gear at all. And when I say none I mean NONE. It's like everything has been stripped bare. Now, I see in the patch notes that they have re-vamped and just intro'd the loot spawn/respawn system so I'm curious if this has to do with it or is it something to do with persistence and the places have just been looted (like I said I haven't played for a bit so I'm not up to date on how most of these features work). If anyone has any way to explain what might be going on I'd appreciate some help here. Love all the changes. LOVE the fact that zombies aren't running through doors and walls and sh*t. Keep up the great work Dev's and eagerly awaiting BETA and Final!

- Dirty

^^^Definitely try switching servers! Some may not be respawning loot.

Has anyone else noticed the rapid side to side head shaking when the infected aggro, it's like something out of a late 90's Japanese horror movie and it's awesome.

I've seen this since the intro of new infected but kept forgetting to mention it.

The flashing of structures and map elements I was seeing in 1PP tonight (in a 3PP server) was pretty bad.

In some situations is made 1PP very difficult to use indoors.

I have not played my 1PP character yet to confirm if this is across the board.

Edited by BioHaze

^^^Definitely try switching servers! Some may not be respawning loot.

Has anyone else noticed the rapid side to side head shaking when the infected aggro, it's like something out of a late 90's Japanese horror movie and it's awesome.

I've seen this since the intro of new infected but kept forgetting to mention it.

The flashing of structures and map elements I was seeing in 1PP tonight (in a 3PP server) was pretty bad.

In some situations is made 1PP very difficult to use indoors.

I have not played my 1PP character yet to confirm if this is across the board.

Yeah the head shake on agro does look cool ( not sure if its intended or not as it seems a pretty fast shake) but what do you mean by flashing of structures and map elements in first person? I am a first person player and i havent seen anything like that (but again i am not exactly sure what you mean , sorry its probably real simple what you mean and i am having a dottery old fart moment.)

Yeah the head shake on agro does look cool ( not sure if its intended or not as it seems a pretty fast shake) but what do you mean by flashing of structures and map elements in first person? I am a first person player and i havent seen anything like that (but again i am not exactly sure what you mean , sorry its probably real simple what you mean and i am having a dottery old fart moment.)

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/223946-weird-graphical-glitch-dayz-standalone-055/#entry2250891

Video of the bug was posted here in this thread.

My eyes!

• Like 1

Thankfully  havent seen anything like that in 1pp thus far and i have put 16 hours into .55. Any other 1pp players had this?? or is it just 3pp switching into 1pp(which i cant see what the difference would be )

I usually stick to 1PP but I was playing on 3PP a lot this weekend to work on a camp with a friend.

I checked my 1PP character just now and all of the buildings and map elements were normal.

Interesting that it took so many days for this bug to appear after the latest updates....

I usually stick to 1PP but I was playing on 3PP a lot this weekend to work on a camp with a friend.

I checked my 1PP character just now and all of the buildings and map elements were normal.

Interesting that it took so many days for this bug to appear after the latest updates....

So on a 1PP only server you didn't have the flashing issue?

So on a 1PP only server you didn't have the flashing issue?

Correct.

No flashing/clipping, cross sectioned anything!

• Like 1

Correct.

No flashing/clipping, cross sectioned anything!

We should move our camp to a server where you don't have that issue.

Alright...Now this is my first time posting ever in these forums so I do apologize if this has been discussed already and I'm in breach of protocol here but I'm curious about something and I have to ask. Now, I've been playing since the 2nd month of Alpha release (minus the last 4 months or so while waiting for things to improve a bit development-wise) and not once have I ever had any issues whatsoever when it comes to finding food, gear, etc. Not that it was a...

- Dirty

I definitely think the respawns have to be sped up. I picked some very isolated spots clean on a server nearly nobody plays on, to test out when things will respawn. It seems that the fastest respawns are in the outhouses. Tank and car wrecks have been empty or had clothes respawn after a day or two. Food seems to respawn in small amounts, but it's never enough to sustain a survivor on a populated server. I don't know how fast the plans for the localized loot system are going to be realized and if that is why we have the current situation. I don't complain for myself, we have all the gear we need (except a cooking pot...), but I imagine it must be hell on earth right now for freshspawns. I'll keep checking the spawns and see if something of value appears, but the only thing that seems to respawn with loot are policecars now. And some of them still spawn it next to them and not on/in the car (e.g. in Grishino). 

I'm a bit played out for 0.55 for now I think. It's a great step in the right direction but the bow not working, fish acting funky and the complete randomness of item spawns will be nice hurdles to jump to get me back in on the next exp or stable. It's been lots of fun though, best version yet.

• Like 1

I think as the loot economy is refined the answer to your question is that certain types of loot will only be available in certain areas (cities for example) which will give an incentive for people to seek out thse locations. It may even get to the point where certain items are only available in certain cities in the same way that certain guns only spawn at crash sites.

Yeah, I like the sound. As much as it was kinda whack before, at least when military bases and NWAF spawned special stuff, it created a demand that meant you could find interaction, albeit the risky kind.  That's the kind of thing I mean, something to bottleneck human players a little bit occasionally, especially if they're looking for more P2P.

It's probably a lot harder to find people even on a high pop server when they can be ANYWHERE and not just Cherno or Berezino.

I think a cool thing to remember for the future of player interaction is that we should see much higher capacity servers.

Is the target number 200 people per map? Something like that....

0.55 with 20 months of dev left in the road map and we are at significant turning point in how DayZ is played.

I think some people are experiencing growing pains and some people are feeling still born....

True that.  Increasing server pop was the only really good fix that we could think of.  I'm concerned that 200 might be too little for this size of map.  Nevermind that the game functions so poorly now in large cities on 50/50 servers.  I know they'll fix all of that with optimization, I'm just skeptical so far, heh.  Anyway, good point.

• Like 1