boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.55 Discussion

This zombie thing is ridiculous. I don't understand why the developers insist on these crazy strong zombies this early in the game. I tried doing the stealth thing; I tried fighting them head on; either way, I die. It's giving me a bad taste in my mouth about this game and not wanting me to recommend it to all my friends. Please fix the zombies or fix the other glitches that hinder us from better defending against them.

2m5jckx.jpg

Edited by JVis

This zombie thing is ridiculous. I don't understand why the developers insist on these crazy strong zombies this early in the game. I tried doing the stealth thing; I tried fighting them head on; either way, I die. It's giving me a bad taste in my mouth about this game and not wanting me to recommend it to all my friends. Please fix the zombies or fix the other glitches that hinder us from better defending against them.

They don't insist on anything. Being a game that is still in development, it's all WIP. If something is found to be bad or broken then they will address it. :)

New Zombies is cool.. i don't want to play only for hunting other players... i rather go and die from a hands of a zombie, 

Yeah, it's all very hit or miss. I found a box of 20 yesterday but of course I have no Mosin. .380 is everywhere and now that RAK and mags are spawning in police stations, that's actually really useful.

Indeed, I found a Mosin and spent around three hours since looking and no joy but even earlier nothing and you're spot on about the RAK as I came across two at once and found a ton of ammo for it thank the lord as even with the stealthy, stealthy approach I still get the odd oh look a Zed wanting to bum me and eat my brains out!...

Agree with Insers above as well, with the Zeds being that bit more harder to handle I feel more at ease not getting greased from another players as they're having to deal with the trickier Zeds too

Edited by RunForestRun

EDIT: Same server, new char, now I got all but a gun in Electro ... loot is therefore not just in the west, you just have to find a hostspot.

So, I played maybe 15 more minutes since my last post, the server had restarted just then .... post 700. Got into Pustoshka ... everything is full of loot, 5.45 ammo, sks ammo, 1911mag, winchester ammo, .22, morphine, backpacks, paint, tape, ballistic helmet, 2 mil vests, bimoculars, sledge hammers, water bottle, canteen ... no axe, no knife, no cooking stuff, no matches, no flare for making fires... . I only lootet half the town cause some dude came into town shooting zeds left and right. So much food that I had to leave some behind. Basically I came into town with an almost empty hunters backpack, three rags after half the town I had 17 rags. I do not know, if the problem when I compare the apple picking session before restart and the loot heaven after the restart have anything to do with the restart (it should not accoring to what I read) or if loot heaven simply starts as far north west as Pustoshka. But with what I wrote in post 700, it really seems like restarts still do something there.

Either way, the dude came into town shooting around like there's no tomorrow, checked him out, followed him, made sure he was alone (well, when can you ever be really sure) and was about to start talking to him from an advantageous position, but then I remembered the promise I made with all the anger I felt after reading the first 11 pages of this thread and the promise I made to kill (or at least attempt to kill) everyone I encounter in this patch version. Got a shot on him, but he had just started moving behind a car and the one shot was not enough. He went into a red archway brick building and blinded by forum hatred I went after him. Did not do it very smartly there, but I was blinded by rage. In the end we traded, I was unconscious for quite a while before bleeding out ... always great when you shoot someone down and then go unconscious about half a second after he drops. that reminds me....

Unconsciousness - has anyone survived getting shot unconscious since 0.54? In 0.54 blood regeneration was nerfed, iirc. So now we regenerate slower, BUT we still bleed the same, right? In the past it happend quite often that you managed to pull through after being unconscious, but that never happened to me since the last patch came out. I do not proclaim to have the perfect formula for shock / blood regen / bleeding right there, but if blood regeneration is lowered and the rate of getting back out from unconsciousness should stay the same, then the shock reduction must be higher than before. Currently I got the feeling that you can just hit "Respawn" when being unconscious to make things simple. Well, I guess there is a miniscule chance that you are not bleeding at all in such situations, but how often does that happen exactly?

Final thoughts on "hardcore" survival, loot rareness and the end of all pvp. I get the feeling that the only difference really is the loot distribution, Eugene said that that the loot amount is the same, so ... my current strategy: Run west, eat apples when needed and only check two houses in a town, maybe not the first two closest to the road. Well, you can check every toilett you find, never found an empty one, but that is besides the point. If those houses are empty, continue running west. Then, when you are far enough and finally got there, you are swimming in loot. As mentioned earlier, I heard shots in Vybor, then I found this guy, both had guns and ammo. No end of pvp there that I can see. One just has to work with the current loot "anti-distribution" - and get lucky, I guess. I really like this patch more and more. The only thing that gets old is the continuous zed teleportation and that they run circles around you with about 70 km/h ... and the obvious loot problems I encountered of course are also not great.

Edited by bautschi

..I tried doing the stealth thing..

Try harder. Stealth and a slow tactical pace do work.

(screenshot)

3PP + Max FOV... :P This could be your problem right there.

Unconsciousness - has anyone survived getting shot unconscious since 0.54?

Not shot unconscious per se, but I was shot, started bandaging and passed out mid-action. Funny enough, the action seems to have completed after I already went unconscious (defect? desync?), so I didn't bleed out and about 20 minutes later some very kind stranger with Epy and Saline found me and helped me up (after relieving me of all my firearms).

Edited by Veyda
  • Like 2

I love this patch!

I had a good 5 hour stretch last night over 3 character life's and 2 servers. Each time I found good gear and met players around. Zeds are hard but dumb.. So long as you have more IQ than a donkey you can get round them if you want, sometimes it's just fun to stand your ground!

I found a good amount of cool stuff.. Tents, packs, stab vest, TTSKO jacket fire axe.. Lots of seeds. It's funny how your load out changes to how the game is now. Actually started to carry water tabs, vitamines and charcoal tabs. I've started to look at stuff and think mmm fish trap/rabbit snare not just plastic bottle and wire! Also I'm really feeling a new level of immersion due to how you look for loot now... I never thought matches and pots would be endgame items lol.

Also my game feels like it's running better now

Unconsciousness - has anyone survived getting shot unconscious since 0.54?

Yup, I got shot at the first day of the patch, instantly put unconscious and about a minute or so later woke up from it and lived to tell the tale. :)

I NEVER hit respawn until I'm dead, just in case!

• Like 1

Is it my imagination or is Mosin ammo rarer than rocking horse shit?...Not seen any since patch release, every other ammo apart from that, probably just my bad luck!

I have about 100 rounds and a lrs you can have - it's in my.... well damn, my tent vanished.  true story.

In what I believe to be less than 2 hours of playing since my last KoS (same KoS clan was on the same Public server [VUV] woofalo and Lynx were the KoS'ers) I am fully geared with nearly everything I had before EXCEPT I now have morphine and rocket aviators BUT no can opener!  :o

Thankfully I have more food than would last a DayZ character a month in my bag...

I guess it's more fun for those guys to ambush a solo character 2 on 1 than bother to loot for their gear?

I would have to imagine that most of my stuff was ruined by their SMG's anyway.

Think about it; a certain level of KoS HAS to basically be considered griefer gameplay.

rSBx9MM.jpg

I broke my promise, I found a dude and did not attempt to kill him. Just could not do it, there he is, all geared up, rifle on the back, hunter backpack and he runs through Mogilevka without a worry in his mind, carrying a tent in his hands. Just could not do it. Nevermind, the next one dies again.

Found my own tent in the next house. I HATE how you cannot put down tents when it is not flat btw, so unrealistic. You can even sleep quite well in uneven pitched tents, only gotta use the stuff you carry with you right. The annoying thing here is that I finally placed the tent where it is not soooo well hidden, just because the other places were too steep.

Tent is placed now, half full and getting fuller with my new drop off I'mm gonna make. AK74 mag, and other niceties. Will fit in nicely with the PM73 Rak I have no mags for and the numerous MP5 30rnd mags I have no MP5 for... . Making a trumpet collection, too.

Loot is there ... somewhere, currently totally random in terms of loot spawns (intended that way in 0.55), but what I don't get is the distribution on the map, it's like it changes every few hours.

0.55 -

People crying about infected "too hard" = probably didn't play the mod.

People crying about loot scarcity = probably DayCoD/PvP only players.

I'm sure there are exceptions to the above but I would bet good money it holds true for the majority.

You didn't know what DayZ was being made into when you started testing it; sorry not sorry.

Edit: for real question....

Can anyone verify that the T key switches firing modes for the SMG's?

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 1

Haven't posted in a while, but here goes nothing...

Pro: Love the new Infected. Actually paranoid while drinking and eating now.

Con: Don't like that the sound effects for them don't really work anymore. Can't hear the footsteps at all, nor the pursuit noises they used to make. Definitely would help to have those back.

Pro: Great new UI

Con: Why the -newui switch. Could've just implemented it?

Pro: Love a lot of the new gear and where it is distributed. Such as the police gear at the police station. Great job sorting that out finally.

Con: Don't love the overall distribution pattern for it. (http://i.imgur.com/LQ0KRHz.jpg) Plus, what is the deal with the crazy loot stashes in certain objects/buildings? I mean... that's almost an April Fools Joke if you ask me.

Con: Not liking the 5 minute timer on loot that's been touched. That's a bit lame, if you ask me. I was killed by an Infected and my buddy took all my stuff of my body. He checked it a few times while he was doing some errands. After I reached my body (about 20mins later) everything that wasn't a backpack or a weapon was gone. The vest and all clothing items despawned. Not cool.

Enjoying the overall changes, just wish they wouldn't have released the persistence in a buggy state. Shouldn't that have been sorted? Lost tents with a lot of stuff. That was a lot of time and effort wasted. Trucks disappear, gear disappears... lots of things disappear. So, it's not really persistent, is it? xD

Finding some things, like sewing kits or matches is really like a quest for Holy Grail. xD

Trucks sometimes flip for no reason. Usually before a bridge of some sort. Sometimes Infected will make the trucks flip or jump around like crazy.

I've seen ONE Deer in over 30 hours of .55. Somethin' ain't right there.

Overall... great move in the right direction. Enjoying the more "intense" Infected... just some audio cues letting us know that something is after us would be great. ;)

0.55 -

I'm sure there are exceptions to the above but I would bet good money it holds true for the majority.

You didn't know what DayZ was being made into when you started testing it; sorry not sorry.

seems every game forum 'COD player' is the standard stock insult.  what is it about COD that makes its players bad?  I dunno because I've never played it.

and people don't have a problem with a game being hard.  hard is GOOD when it's difficulty that makes it hard.  but hard is not good when it's something illogical or glitched that's just cranked up to 11 - that's just frustrating.

0.55 -

I'm kind of an exception in a backward way. I never played the mod, but I'm not whining about the difficulty of the zombies. I think they are fantastic. They behave more like I would expect a zombie with these attributes to behave. All I'd really like to see is twice as many (I still don't feel like they present enough of a threat to dramatically influence player interactions), perhaps a couple of variants (wishful thinking, not likely to happen I'm betting), and for BI to fix the clipping issues zombies have. 

The loot really isn't that scarce either. Granted, I haven't played it since Friday, but I stayed up all night Thursday and into Friday morning since I had no major obligations the following day and played the crap out of .55. If my tent compounds (yes, plural, I started over and lost another set) hadn't been lost, I'd have something like 7 or 8 different primaries, at least 2 different secondaries, tons of ammo of most calibers, two dry bags full of canned goods, and I don't even really remember what else. I started stockpiling some decent clothing items (jacket, pants, boots, helmet, balaclava) and various necessities like a compass, can opener, etc. in one of the tents for my friend who had just started a new character. This was all while playing on one server, except for about 30 minutes when the server I was on went down and I picked another generic public one to hop on for a few. I basically only hopped back and forth between a couple towns and a few unnamed locations. 

I will check the MP5K for select fire when I hop on. If no else has answered by then, I will post something about it. I didn't realize that was even a thing in the game.

• Like 1

hey guys, one question. what's up with heli crashes in 0.55? we found a few after restart an non of them had any gear

they spawn in the exact same 3 places every time now (glitch).  people camp those 3 spots and loot is gone 15 seconds after the server starts.

• Like 1

hey guys, one question. what's up with heli crashes in 0.55? we found a few after restart an non of them had any gear

A lot of the loot isn't spawning in the right places yet. I just read someone's post yesterday I think talking about how he found an M4 in a barn. IIRC, Eugen mentioned this being addressed in .56.

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong, per Red_Ensign's comment. I just know that only guns are spawning in the appropriate locations currently and that is effecting whether anything is or is not where you might expect to find it.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 1

seems every game forum 'COD player' is the standard stock insult.  what is it about COD that makes its players bad?  I dunno because I've never played it.

and people don't have a problem with a game being hard.  hard is GOOD when it's difficulty that makes it hard.  but hard is not good when it's something illogical or glitched that's just cranked up to 11 - that's just frustrating.

CoD players want instant PvP gratification with high end military gear.

DayZ is definitely not that game.

If you can't adjust to or understand why something has to be brought to 11 to be tested, you should not play the Alpha's/Beta's.

If you can't adjust to or understand why something is glitched or illogical, you should not play the Alpha's/Beta's..

The above is no insult, it's merely a reality.

If you have fun testing DayZ right now, that's a bonus.

DayZ can have critical game breaking bugs that can lock a lot of people out from playing for extended periods at it's worst.

I was locked out of a patch due to a bug all together last year.

And I waited, and it was fixed.

snip

I just checked the MP5K. "T" doesn't seem to do anything. I put the weapon in my hand and tried it in both the raised and lowered positions. 

• Like 1

0.55 -

Seriously...

Why is it so dam hard to trust some people telling their bad experience ? reading this, i assume you think that people having issues with loot (i'm one of them) are PVP only players that don't know the game and how and where to loot and that you are so smart and skilled that people complaining are just noob assholes (yes, that exactly what your post means).

it's not about complaining and stuff, it's about giving some credits to what people experienced.

so AGAIN, most of the time, you can have a good game (like you did and i had good games too, just one issue with that server) BUT there is some cases where people can't find the minimal gear to enjoy the game (nothing to farm, nothing to hunt, nothing to store, no clothes, nothing to cook) looting EVERYTHING (yes i looted toilets and every other "gold mines" that usually spawn a lot of loot in 0.55). that an issue, it's not dramatic at all and gets fixed soon eventually, but that problem still exist and happenned...

• Like 3

My $.02 about all this...

The Infected

Well done.  You've taken an innocuous annoyance and transformed them into a terrifying threat that might actually shift this game back into a zombie survival game from a running simulator featuring PVP.  I know it's just the beginning, but as a starting point the future looks bright.  

Some observations-

• Getting hit by the infected, while more numerous for each volley, does far less damage to clothing IMO
  • You can't outrun them, but there seems to be an early stamina system.  I've had a few infected catch up to me, not swing and eventually give up.
  • "Stealth" is a MAJOR improvement, but at times it feels almost random. Its hard to judge what the triggers are at this point (sound and sight). Gunshots are an obvious trigger, but what else are they listening for, and what sort of sensitivity (opening a can from across the street, for example)? 
  • They also seem far less likely to spot you through a window
  • Some of the infected now seem to 'give up' after you've locked them in or out of a building.  This is huge for two reasons: (1) if there is a second point of egress for the building, you can slip out without the infected running around and meeting you there (which also indicates they can't see you through walls any longer) and (2) the infected will "de-aggro" themselves. Meaning you could be in a building and the infected will give up and stop bringing attention to you, instead of continuously running around and shouting until you go out and kill them.
  • They currently move in total silence. This is a problem and they'll hopefully have this fixed with the next maintenance.  Keep your head on a swivel There is no reason to think the devs intended this.
  • They've ruined my shoes several times  :huh:
  • I've found it impossible to connect a melee headshot 
  • They are still connecting hits from further than arms' reach.  They're also registering hits without corresponding animations, i.e. not swinging, arms at side, but registering hits. This is particularly frustrating when similar shuckin and jivin would help you elude player attacks.
  • This is my favorite glitch ever.....

2015-04-04_00007_zps1m346ghh.jpg

Apparently the infected AI can't switch attention once its locked onto something.  So similar to an infected ignoring you to pursue a cow that it saw before you, if the infected sees you arrive in your V3S and pursues, it will not break this attention even after you've exited your vehicle.  You'll notice in the photo like a biologist swimming with great whites and no cage to prove the absence of danger, I don't have my weapon drawn. They are completely transfixed on the truck. Use this to your advantage while it lasts. 

Looting

It's been covered several times by other posts, but the loot system is truly random... well sort of.  Confusing at the very least.
221100_screenshots_2015-04-03_00013_zpsq
What used to be a very routine activity (if i need item X i go to where item X spawns, if I need item Y I go to where item Y spawns) is now entirely different.  Obviously there is something amiss when outhouses and BMP crashes are spawning dozens of items while heli crashes and barracks spawn nothing.  The good news is that military loot isn't exclusively spawning in convenient little places that clans can guard.  Hunter packs, Hi-cap vests, plate carriers (and attachments), sidearms, etc. can be found in obscure random houses, outhouses, sheds, barns and wrecks.  Police cars are little treasure troves, and personally I hope this doesn't change. If this were happening in real life a police car would definitely be a good source of gear, and opening the trunk of cruiser might actually go something like this..
2015-04-03_00008_zpscn6a9q5b.jpg
I found a mace lying on the hood of a police car. 
221100_screenshots_2015-04-03_00009_zps4

I have no clue how the heli crashes are supposed to work, or how they're supposed to behave with persistence now mandatory.  In my 0.55 experience the heli crashes all have remained in the exact same location in a particular server, and not respawning loot.  I know they're not completely broken because the first crash I found was an Mi-8 with an ammo box.  I've since returned to that crash site several times over the last few days and nothing new has spawned. What IS very unusual is that the Mi-8 changed to a UH-1Y (smoker)... but still no loot.  The other two crashes on this server also have not spawned any loot.

Police stations and police cars seem to be spawning fresh loot.  I tested this by throwing several PM73's off the roof of the station and returned a day later to find a new PM73 and an MP5K inside. UAZ wrecks also seem to be spawning loot.  At one point I was standing near a UAZ with a drum mag, a few moments later the server reset, and when I logged back in the drum was gone and replaced by a P1 pistol. So it seems like there is not only a respawn mechanic, but also a replacement or randomization of loot in place that hasn't been picked up.

I have yet to see the following:

• M4A1 or any of its attachments
  • FNX (but did find a mag)
  • AK101 or its mags
  • 5.56x45 ammo
  • .45 ACP ammo
  • AKM (though someone else said they did)
  • Winchester Alaskan (but the ammo for it is everywhere)
  • CR527 mags
  • P1 mags
  • 7.62x54 ammo (though I did find a Mosin stripper clip)
  • MP5K buttstocks
  • SVD (is it in?)

Persistence is close, but still not perfect.  It's alpha, so arbitrary resets of persistent loot are to be expected, I gave up on tents regardless.  I had two disappear over the weekend while full of loot, both after a server reset. Backpacks seem to be working however.  I stashed a mountain pack full of loot and to my surprise it was still there two days later (~12-15 server resets). Personally I'd like to see this tied to the character profile instead of the server, that way I'd be able to access my stashes if I need to switch servers because of hackers.

A side note about the V3S:

It is now possible to die in an accident.  No more wreckless joyrides through towns.  I hit an indestructible road sign at about half of full speed and died on impact. Minor accidents are possible too, producing the blur/shock effect on impact at lower speeds. Curiously, a minor accident seemed to have ruined a pair of pristine boots. Be careful out there. There are random invisible obstacles out there, most of them off road, so be mindful when travelling at high speed.

Edited by Mr Jizz
  • Like 9

• M4A1 or any of its attachments this is a helicopter crash only spawn
  • FNX (but did find a mag) ditto
  • AK101 or its mags - have not found one of these yet either
  • 5.56x45 ammo - appears not to spawn
  • .45 ACP ammo - appears not to spawn, although you can find full 1911 mags
  • AKM (though someone else said they did) - appears not to spawn to us
  • Winchester Alaskan (but the ammo for it is everywhere) this gun is not ingame yet. the .308 is also for the blaze and longhorn
  • CR527 mags - appears not to spawn
  • P1 mags i have found several of these
  • 7.62x54 ammo (though I did find a Mosin stripper clip) have found this several times
  • MP5K buttstocks - not seen a single one, but have found mp5 rails and comps which are relatively rare so it might still spawn
  • SVD (is it in?) - not in

Added comments to your list

Edited by wartzilla

Some comments to this list.

• M4A1 or any of its attachments this is a helicopter crash only spawn. - Not seen one either
  • FNX (but did find a mag) ditto - I have seen the gun and mag in game, not sure were its orginialy looted, but it was looted in 0.55
  • AK101 or its mags - have not found one of these yet either Not seem them yet
  • 5.56x45 ammo - appears not to spawn - does spawn, cant ive exact location thou
  • .45 ACP ammo - appears not to spawn, although you can find full 1911 mags - same, get them from 1911 mags only
  • AKM (though someone else said they did) - appears not to spawn to us - Have fun alot of AKM´s in "ruined jeeps"
  • Winchester Alaskan (but the ammo for it is everywhere) this gun is not ingame yet. the .308 is also for the blaze and longhorn
  • CR527 mags - appears not to spawn - spawns at "ruined jeeps"
  • P1 mags i have found several of these - same
  • 7.62x54 ammo (though I did find a Mosin stripper clip) have found this several times -same
  • MP5K buttstocks - not seen a single one, but have found mp5 rails and comps which are relatively rare so it might still spawn -havent seen any so far
  • SVD (is it in?) - not in

SNIP ... well a few times

Some observations-     ADDED MY EXPERIENCE THERE

• Getting hit by the infected, while more numerous for each volley, does far less damage to clothing IMO  --- the only thing they managed to destroy (including partially) today on me was pants and a motorcycle helmet... upper chest piece suffered
  • You can't outrun them, but there seems to be an early stamina system.  I've had a few infected catch up to me, not swing and eventually give up.  --- you can break line of sight ... in the wild going through bushes and over hills I loose them pretty fast, don't know...
  • I've found it impossible to connect a melee headshot --- I know I did at least once, after all it went down after one hit with a splitting axe ... must have been a headshot, BUT I don't think it is reproducable with what visual feedback we have. Same goes for zed staggering after hits, the teleportation and erratic movement kind of keep me from developing a fighting rythm here...
  • They are still connecting hits from further than arms' reach.  They're also registering hits without corresponding animations, i.e. not swinging, arms at side, but registering hits. This is particularly frustrating when similar shuckin and jivin would help you elude player attacks.--- Think the missing animations is even in the release notes. They also still hit through walls. Locked one of them in, went about 2m from the building, started bandaging ... the zed yells and starts hitting me again :(

• .45 ACP ammo --- did find 1911 mags... only source so far
  • 7.62x54 ammo (though I did find a Mosin stripper clip) --- My friend found a 20 rnd box

When will .56 be up to stable? This is a terrible fucking update. It's so broken. Although i like the new stealth mechanics, the zombies are way too fast and strong. Im fucking sick and tired of dying withing the first 20 minutes of playing, especially when im on DayZRP. Hurry up.

That's gonna take some time. Has there even been a new experimental? Dont think sooo ... yepp, gonna be a while.

Edited by bautschi