boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.55 Discussion

LOL, been on experimental all week now, zeds will hit you first every time, you can't "dance" around them anymore but they sure as shit can dance around YOU now.   Much, much, much higher probability of gear ruination.  At least, at least, they seem to get knocked back and react to hits in ways they haven't before and at least, they are not as vicious as they were in yesterdays .55.  But for sure, brother, beware the mob of zeds, meaning 2 or more at once, they will rip your head off and shit down your neck.

This is how this game should be. Zeds should rip you apart - just one should be enough to kill the player very fast. Sure, it is a bit stupid that a few issues (desync, ai bugs, etc..) will make  the zeds hit you multiple times in a second (while only one attack of them will be shown). But this will be fixed soon. You are going to see every attack of them.

All i am saying is that the developers should fix a few issues with them and balance them a bit different: They should be knocked down from 3-4 axe-hits on head (not 6 or more), but dealing 20-40% higher damage each hit to the player. It is really great that players can't win a fight against them so easy anymore. Players really should stop playing rambo style against them and learn to play the way mod was: Sneaking, trying not to make any noise, thinking twice about going to location x or trying to loot a house etc.

Edited by PaniXx

Played the new stable for about an hour yesterday and I gotta say this might be the best patch in ages, at least once some of the more annoying bugs get ironed out.

I started fresh in Krutoy Cap and made my way to Msta thru Tulga. Looting was very exciting, as you never knew what you'd find. I got lucky and found an Amphibia in a brown cottage. I like the randomness of lootspawns, although imho it should be toned down a little. Also, a black skull balaclava in the same cottage. Black skull balaclava actually makes more sense as a civilian spawn than a helicrash spawn. I see it as something that some pimply teenager would buy from a paintball accessory shop and wear in instagram photos in a vain effort to look cool more than something a battle hardened elite soldier would wear (unless if that soldier is a pimply teenager). Ahh, getting sidetracked here...

As for people unable to find _any_ loot, it might be the case of playing in a server with persistence set off, even though persistence on is forced: http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/313wjc/psa_if_your_server_isnt_spawning_loot_turn_on/
Also, be sure to check every building. In Tulga, I found many buildings completely empty and then one or two buildings with a small pile of loot. Nothing like lootgasms of the past though, just something like two cans of food, knife and a coat in a pile. Finding food was harder, but still fairly easy. Dunno if I just got lucky, gotta test more to be sure...

The zombies are leaps and leaps better than before. Sure, they are somewhat glitchy and you feel like a lumberjack cutting down a tree when axing them down, but that's nothing gamebreaking. I like how fast they attack and how agile they are. You should get some bruises and torn clothing when fighting toe-to-toe with a rabid, mad person with no interest in defending him/herself. Perhaps, in the future you should be able to dodge the first, leaping, forceful attack and bury an axe in them, remaining unscatched youself, if you're skilled enough that is. But when they have slowed down, it should be very hard to dodge their blows. I reckon their superhuman health is just something to make them dangerous even when their numbers are still too low.

Perhaps, in the future, if you want to fight zombies mainly with melee, you have to choose your clothing accordingly. Durable firefighter jacket instead of flimsy ttsko jacket, anti-stab vest instead of assault vest. But there should still be a push to use a firearm if you have one and some ammo for it. That's actually something that I adore in the current patch. I quickly found out that it was better to use chambered amphibia against the infected instead of my axe.

The best tactic against the infected is obviously stealth and that's something that immediately makes current infected better than the ones we had before. I don't care if the infected were 2x faster than Usain Bolt and able to kill you with a kiss to the cheek, as long as they can't see you through buildings and from 500m away, they are better. I like to move stealthly and I can't tell how many times in the past I have had my cover blown by a infected with a 6th sense while stalking a player moving carelessly in a town. And that infected wasn't even scary or hard, just someone I had to walk around in circles and whack with an axe while my prey got away.

And to everyone who's crying about the new infected: Just adjust your tactics.

I was about to write some more, but I have gotten myself all riled up. I'm off to play ->

• Like 4

I worry about water, now: 

- You still can not boil water to purify it.

- rainwater can't be infected (right?).

- But if you have a canteen of water that might be infected, because you didn't purify it, there is no way to empty it out to catch rainwater.

So what do yo do - throw the canteen away and look for an empty one?  Dig a field, plant it, and water it until the canteen is empty (just to empty a bottle)? 

Or drink it and die?

Water purification tablets are much rarer than your constant need to drink, so in fact you are forced to go looking for canned drinks.

I'm really worried about it too. Is pump water pure?

• Like 2

This is how this game should be. Zeds should rip you apart - just one should be enough to kill the player very fast. Sure, it is a bit stupid that because of a few issues (desync, ai bugs, etc..) they hit you multiple times in a second. But this will be fixed soon. You are going to see every attack of them. All i am saying is that the developers should fix a few issues with them and balance them a bit different: They should be knocked down from 3 axe-hits on head (not 6 or more), but dealing higher damage to the player. It is really great that players can't win a fight against them so easy anymore. Players really should stop playing rambo style against them and learn to play the way mod was: Sneaking, trying not to make any noise, thinking twice about going to location x or trying to loot a house etc.

Numerous Zeds Yes, Not 1-2. A person should be able to handle 1/3 Zeds and you should be able to dodge their attacks. Fact of the matter is you can't, you fight one Zed an they take 2/3x more damage than they used too, and one zed can hit you twice before you've finished your attack.

That does it, I am quitting DayZ for good.

I played this game to tear shit up, kill newspawns, kill bandits and laugh at their asses through voicechat after killing them.

Thank you! thank you! At first I was worried the new mechanics didn't do much against KOSers, but this is exciting. Those who play just to get a rise out of ruining someone's early experiences of the game are voluntarily removing themselves! Good riddance kiddo.

Unrelated, the server I was on last night kept being restarted because the admin though that did something for item spawns, which did erase my garden, but of course added nothing that wasn't already gradually spawning. Gardening, while almost necessary, is still precarious, and now you have to have space for everything you want to harvest because the food on the ground tends to disappear very fast. Just a heads up.

Oh and, yes pump water is pure, you can spam the drink action at them again too.

Do canteens not have the empty vessel action when in your hands?

Edited by MotleyKoop
  • Like 4

Numerous Zeds Yes, Not 1-2. A person should be able to handle 1/3 Zeds and you should be able to dodge their attacks. Fact of the matter is you can't, you fight one Zed an they take 2/3x more damage than they used too, and one zed can hit you twice before you've finished your attack.

So what? Who says you shoud be able to handle 1/3 Zeds?

Game is good as it is now in 0.55 :)

• Like 1

Well. How am I supposed to run inland in the guaranteed case that there is no loot on the coast when I cant even get from Solnichny to Polana properly? Let me explain.

I started as a freshspawn in the rain (= "I'm cold, Im cold Im cold!!!!) near solnichny, ran to polana. looted 4 items or so there, then dying of starvation. I kept hugging fucking appletrees for 20minutes, finally got enough to move around a bit, found some seeds, planted them.

Wanted to "loot" the rest of town while the plants grow, seen one zombie, tried to sneak on it, it instantly turned around and got me uncounscious.

The fucking zombies seem to teleport to you on the last couple meters before reaching you, and fuck, they teleport behind me. "Supposed to be hard and unforgiving?" More like fucking unfair. This is by far the worst build of dayz. And don't get me wrong, I never deathmatch on the coast and I hated the fact that most people stayed there, esp since the introduction of disneyisland errrr...prisonisland. 

They should reconsider the amount of energy a character has on spawn. How else am I supposed to even get to any fucking loot whatsoever, esp in rainy/cold conditions.

Also I dont get why knifes downright suck in combat. Every knife gets outperformed by any foodcan that you use as brassknuckle. Doesn't that strike anyone as implausible?

Edited by Khanarac
  • Like 1

Well if u put em down they will likely disappear

Mine didn't , set it down last night and it was there two hours later , haven't checked it today though .

HAHAH I knew this was coming. :) ill see you in .56 lol

-before the clunky animations fixed that is.

Edited by TheSneakyDude

Also I dont get why knifes downright suck in combat. Every knife gets outperformed by any foodcan that you use as brassknuckle. Doesn't that strike anyone as implausible?

implausible? How about impossible. how about any weapon has gotten nerfed quite a bit against a zombie? I mean, you can kill a player with a 1 or 2 fireaxe hits, but a zombie unless you hit the head is 3-4+ zombies in DayZ aren't dead AFAIK, hence they should bleed and die in similar punishment that the human body(in this case the Players) can sustain AFAIK.

I am all for improving AI and upping parts of the zombies, but right know, teleporting/warping zombies due to the new speed, insane attack speed which does relatively low damage to a healthy person but rips apart your clothes in a matter of a single second. zombies still spawning in your face is a really funny one.

About difficulty.

I've noticed I find a shit load of military loot EVERYWHERE now, not even rare. gotten 4 smersh vests and over 50 burlaps, got full military suit up in less than 20 minutes. with a mosin + LRS and over 100x ammo, meaning I can shoot zombies or players all day.

however I've noticed the loot spots are kind of reversed atleast on the servers I've played on until now.

places that had no or minimal loot now are the biggest loot spots, and every military barrack, firestation etc are completely empty.

heck I've found more gear in the light towers, deer stands and military lookout towers. along the coast than I have in all military-fire-police buildings combined.

The little building with 3 small rooms, and a fire stove in the last room also has more loot than a police station has combined now.

Loot is not more sparse, rare or anything, it is simply reversed in where to find it in my experience uptil now.

Edited by Zervox

Well Zervox, Im on a private shard. Maybe that does a diffrence, even though I don't think so.

Don't get me wrong. When I was alive earlier near the NWA, i found enough loot aswell (even a HCvest in a small red pub o.O), but now that I'm a freshspawn I just failed my 4th attempt to even make it to stary sobor. Usually the cause is being starved to neardeath, then a zombie comes along out of nowhere, making no stepping sound, just being on me instantly.

Edited by Khanarac

Well Zervox, Im on a private shard. Maybe that does a diffrence, even though I don't think so.

Don't get me wrong. When I was alive earlier near the NWA, i found enough loot aswell (even a HCvest in a small red pub o.O), but now that I'm a freshspawn I just failed my 4th attempt to even make it to stary sobor. Usually the cause is being starved to neardeath, then a zombie comes along out of nowhere, making no stepping sound, just being on me instantly.

You should really try going to every deer stand on the way, as they've been pretty good to me in regards to loot. the Same with train wagons seem to be finding loot around those as well.

I love the new cannibals on the coast :D

• Like 1

You should really try going to every deer stand on the way, as they've been pretty good to me in regards to loot. the Same with train wagons seem to be finding loot around those as well.

Done that, found 4 hats in one deerstand, a P1 and a waterbottle. Found only clothes in trains. Also, kind of unlikley to find trains when spawning in solnichny ;)

Edited by Khanarac

worried about water ...

I'm really worried about it too. Is pump water pure?

I don't know mate

Until now my method of dealing with illness (sickness from raw meat) was drinking till vomit. Now that's no good (obviously) drinking bad water is a death sentence.

I don't know what water is safe, except cans and rainwater. This is why I realized you CAN'T empty a canteen, and you cant boil water.

So in fact you CAN'T live in the country. There is no safe water as far as I know and no way to make it safe except by going into town and looting stuff.  You need cans of drink or water purification tablets. I have 2 full (non-purified) canteens today so I cant even try out pumps easily. I can't empty the canteens. And if I throw them away and find a fresh canteen it's already got water in it, right?

heh, not complaining, but the fishing dont work, animals run away on the horizon, the crops are blighted, and the water kills you. [ How can you survive if you can't boil water? ]

lol

lol

players in cities complain a lot but they have it EASY.

In case any of the <hunting fishing farming> players has a solution, or some ideas, I'd like to hear them ... RSVP thanx.

[edit: MotleyKoop sayz pump water is pure ... hmm, wish I could empty bad canteens]

Edited by pilgrim

Yeah, pumps haven't made me sick yet, and as I said, you can spam drink them again.

Just pitched a tent, and popped a trumped inside. As soon as the trumped went in, the tent went out, or wherever. Does anyone else notice empty tents sticking around? First tent was empty, and as far as I could see it was stable. It could be the cleanup is detecting items in tents and deciding to erase them based on the rarity of the item inside.

It's not the AI or "zombies" the problem, everything you stated concerning the infected is related to netcode, latency and desync. Once the server architecture and netcode gets polished, you'll see these problems disappear. Until then, I'd suggest playing on low ping server, with the lowest bandwidth you can. (No wi-fi sharing or downloads in the background for slower connections.)

The persistence, global economy, loot tables and general loot mechanics are all work in progress so it's not as much as "forcing" something rather than creating it. They're not making experimental builds or stable patches to have us play the game, they're making it and we have access to the software while it's being programmed and created. We can clearly see how much it impacts development to have to make a somewhat stable build game so that people can play it. If anything having a functioning multiplayer game slows down the creating process, but, that's the way it is...

I'm playing on lowest ping servers, but still netcode is not good enaugh yet, so with full server there are some (actually a lot) lags. My question is: Why they buff zombies now? They know that this will cause problems. Why couldn't they just buff them later? 

Normally admins could chose if they want persistence on or off. Now it's always on. So yeah, it's pretty much forcing thing that don't work. Yesterday I visited: Cherno, Novoselky, Kozlovka, Drozhino, Zeleno, Pagorevka, Pulkovo, Vyshnoye and I found like nothing useful. It's good my friend always have backpack full of food, because we found nothing to eat (only few bananas, 1 canned sardines,canteen and a lot of useless crap, like guns, tents, books, etc. etc.). Ofc there are more food sources than just canned food:

- Hunting - we don't have matches (we had them, but somebody killed me and we lost them) and with persistence I don't think we will find them soon.

- Horticulture - you need shovel or garden hoe (can't find them, ty persistence...) and seeds (found pack of few zucchini seeds, but that is all).

- Fishing - again we need farming hoe or shovel to dig worms, then we need fishing hook and rope (again, ty persistence) and then we again need to cook them (no matches). Another way is to cut bottle and catch sardines. Good we have a lot of bottles, but if we will die somehow then I bet we won't find any bottles (again, ty persistence).

- Last way to get food is pick berries or apples from trees/bushes. I tried it. I spend like 30 minutes trying to gather enough apples to get "energized" status. After 30 minutes I ate a lot of apples (found 1 every 4-6 tries of searching them on tree), but my character just lost hungry status.

I'm not saying it's impossible to survive, if you are lucky you will find a lot of food in some forgotten building in the middle of nowhere or you will find all stuff you need to hunt, plant vegetables or go fishing. We have food now so we can search for stuff and hope we will find it before we will die, but freshspawns will need a lot of luck. After 1st iteration of persistence I died like 5-7 times before I managed to found food or thing that let me get it. Now I see it's not better.

Sorry for any grammar or other mistakes, English is not my native language.

BTW What are they going to do about this ragdoll desync? Few days ago I hit a guy with a truck, he got "hooked" to car so I dragged his bodu for 1km, because his friend was shooting at me. When I got out I started to loot him, but gear was just disappearing from his backpack. Why? For me his body was dragged for almost 1km, but for his friend it probably felt from car after few meters. My friend (he was with me in the car) said his body felt from truck after 300-400 meters. So I just want to ask: wtf? Same thing if you kill a guy on the hillside. Sometimes you can't even loot him, because (I think that is the reason) server "think" body is in one place, and you see body in another place. If you try to loot it server just don't let you do it (because you are far away from body location).

Edited by kubas246

I personally think the functionality (as far as combat goes) of the zeds in the previous version was fine, and that there just should've been more of them by 2-4 times in cities and towns and the like. Instead of this blender crossed with Mike Tyson that they've become now, it's a little silly. I also think the damage balancing on weapons was fine before, one good strike to the head from a fireman's axe should carry enough force and impact behind a blade to easily take down a zed. Maybe not if you're hitting him in the chest and the like, but that's doing it wrong. I'd personally like to see them temporarily reverted until they at the very least have striking animations, rather than the invisible death tendrils that they seem to utilize now. If this is what the developer wants them to be (Extremely strong on an individual level, brutal in numbers but few spawns) I can accept that, but please do at least have animations for their swinging so that it's conceivably possible to dodge these attacks, rather than just having damage applied to your character and having everything you're wearing instantly ruined unless you have a plate carrier. 

This all from somebody that's only played shortly since the patch rolled out. And encountered 6-7 zombies and being thoroughly blender'd but not having anything ruined or lost of course, so do consider this a real opinion and not just some child crying over their spilled milk.

Tatanko - in the unofficial patch notes you posted a link to it says that truck collision is turned off between infected and trucks but I definitely killed one with a truck earlier.

It was turned off in some of the earlier builds of 0.55. I guess that part of the list never got updated :p It will be a lot more accurate and cleaned-up when we get an official changelog.

• Like 1

I cant see what all the fuss is about regarding the zombies, they are easily avoided with some stealthy maneuvering and lets be honest they are probably now on par(in terms of threat) with some of the later mod patches. People forget this is a zombie survival game! Bring on the hordes.

And on a side note they are no match for the mighty chainsaw........

Tiny summary of feedback for 0.55:

- Zeds are awesome!! (providing the server doesn't lag too much)

- Finding all kinds of loot (in low quantities) in different buildings actually makes you WANT to search through all buildings instead of the same ones over and over again (firestation, police station, etc.)

- Some default loot bound to locations (e.g. Netting, raincoats and wellies) should have static spawnpoints near boats (as it used to be).

- Putting ammo in a burning fireplace needs to make more noise. A LOT more noise. I was hoping to be able to use this as a zombie/player-decoy tool...

I really like the direction the game is going to in this state, although some rough edges needs some polishing (as expected in alpha-state) :)

Happy hunting!

• Like 2

Re water:

Yeah I was panicking about nothing, sorry

- you can empty out canteens

- pumps and rainwater are ok to drink

so no problem. I just got to man-up and start surviving

One good thing is the zombies seem nerfed, not buffed, there are more of them but they don't hurt as much as they used to (also you can stealth around better). Maybe this is just my luck, but I had a couple of fights with 2 zombies and got hit really quite a lot - and nothing ruined, not even my carry-vest. I bled and took some ushanka damage, is all.

Edited by pilgrim

Tents still disappear after only a few minutes. Before he went home for the day, Eugen acknowledged that this was a known issue and that he would address it. It looks like that won't happen until tomorrow, though.

Brian was asked that question, but he declined to answer. I guess next Wednesday will be the ultimate test of whether persistence actually works, or not.

Well if u put em down they will likely disappear

thank you guys for clearing that up for me ;). Is it best just to full a backpack and leave it somewhere for the time being then to store some loot ? sorry I have not really played on persistence enabled servers yet as they were not working very well ?