boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.55 Discussion

What am I doing patch 0.55? I've played some and I've wondered.

Like with this thread which i was to reffered to for a discussion thread regarding patch 0.55 with not even the patch notes not even fully up. Just to put some perspective, because it doesnt go unnoticed.. you guy, everyone of you. I was directed here from another thread from a buyer of the ALPHA game, yea, i said it. That should quite me pie hole for good enough already, huh? http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/223282-what-are-u-doing-055/

Im not very unhappy, the zombies are more dangerous it's all good. You can't avoid getting hit in any manner if you go melee though, but it's under development. Alright. The loot is kinda bugged, i find nothing and gotta run way more. It's under hightlights and development, alright. It's more difficult now, alright. It's all good, but things seems abit rushed and unorganized when old problems are still present in the patch. Which is frustrating, wasnt the experimental people enough, needed to test it on live aswell? Alright.

There's tons of people supporting this game, me included, but there is these blind comments that is just in to silence the critics and people seem to go with it. People ask you to speak and behave and to stay in line. You know what you signed up for. Maybe, lets say we did. I still question the method and etichs on how things are put in motion. I know the team isnt that big and many of you know these guys are few and good and they are humans. It's all accepted. So are the players and understanding will have to go both ways respectively. This shouldnt have hit live just yet is what I am saying. 2nd day of my kind of experimental, i tolerate the money, which isnt more lost than my time in this game. I accept.

...did you try eating them?..  :rolleyes:

For Science?

Yep, didn't do anything though... Heck, I ate about 14 peppers and 30 tomatoes, and didn't get energized.  <_<

It made me survive long enough to find rice and powdered milk so I made it out, but still, I believe fruits and vegetables needs to be tweaked. I wonder if the "disease" part of the infected tomato was also part of possible water poisoning we should have gotten with the current patch. Hmm. 

This apple searching simulator is getting boring now...

Why search for apples? Eat rice or powdered milk!  :lol:

People need to learn "where" to search now, and unlearn it once the loot tables change again. Mechanics change as the game gets developed/created.

Small advice, search these three types of houses on your travels, they're spawning everything from military gear to plenty of food and medical supplies.

33m0apg.jpg

The middle one has been very generous to me on my travels across the map. Also, check the wooden sheds with the open-able door. It's often found with another of the same type next to it, and it spawns everything too.

New character that I started yesterday, on a "broken" loot server. About 15 players.

2vrv9j9.jpg

I shoot infected, don't care much for the sound. Musty gaming server with this one. Was trying to find flares for an event...  <_<  Much easier to find everything else... lol 

• Like 2

Yep, didn't do anything though... Heck, I ate about 14 peppers and 30 tomatoes, and didn't get energized.  <_<

It made me survive long enough to find rice and powdered milk so I made it out, but still, I believe fruits and vegetables needs to be tweaked. I wonder if the "disease" part of the infected tomato was also part of possible water poisoning we should have gotten with the current patch. Hmm. 

Well, a tomato has 18 kcal, 105 ml water and a volume of 111 ml. A green bell pepper 33 kcal, 154 ml water and 164 ml volume. According to dayzdb.com at least. Sooo, you ate 14 * 33 kcal + 30 * 18 kcal = 1002 kcal. You got plenty of water obviously. But if you just started out (about 500 energy I guess, I got brown hungry like the first time I looked in my inventory, normal hungry starts at 1000 I think and energized is still at 2500 energy), you just did not make it there ;).

Now it was a long time ago, I got those figures from Merino DayZ's youtube vids, so I might be wrong, or they might have changed since then, but only eating tomatoes is actually a slow cruel way of starvation, unless you do not move. If you move, you burn 15 or 20 energy per minute, I think. And digesting one ml of stuff in your stomach takes a second. For a tomato that makes 1m and 51 sec to digest with energy for about 1 min. Zucchinis with 51 kcal, 306 ml water and 323 ml volume are about the same.

Apples have plenty of water and give about twice as much energy as is needed for the time digestion needs. Berries are very small, have about the same amount of energy as apples, but very little water ... great for getting energizes, if you take the time to pick them. And pumpkins are just great energy beasts: 2000 kcal, 400 ml water and 2000 ml volume ... digestion takes too long to stay hydrated, but mix it up with bell pellers, tomatoes and zucchinis, and you can live happily ever after. Well I would be more happy with a nice steak, but hey.

Don't get me wrong, of course it is usefull to eat "crappy" food, when you have room in your stomach, just saying that bell peppers, tomatoes and zucchinis are not the way to get energized. I still pick them up when I find them and use them as an alternative for canteens and bottles. Either way, it's time for a Pumpkin HYPE!!!

Edited by bautschi
  • Like 3

Been playing this update for a few days now, sorry for wall of text, I'm just reporting what I've noticed

Lag. I'm getting more lag/desync when approaching cities and it lasts a bit longer than usual, but I dont seem to have as much desync/unplayable that others are reporting. 

Zeds.  Staggering is a nice touch, they seem to always get the first strike on you now, so I'm not doing the sidestep method but taking the first shot head on then 1 chop, they stagger, 2nd chop.  Seems to be a 2 shot system again.  I do like the stealth though I can get within a 5 meters crouching before they see me.  Shooting is definitely not my first option now, I axe and have my gun ready if the horde comes.  I dont know if it's just me but they seem to do less damage per hit and they dont always ruin gear even if they get a few punches in.

Loot.  It's definitely mixed-up, I found a police station exploding with smg loot: 2 raks and 3 mp5s/attschments and more mags for both than I could carry.  A police car with a rak and 2 mags and a whole loot mess of police uniforms.  APC's seem to also be spawning police uniform loot, handcuffs, keys etc in vast quantities even if the immediate surrounding area is spawning loot normally.  Civilian tents are everywhere including outhouses (which have a ton of loot now, including hi-cap vests and some mil gear).  Tents surviving restarts btw seem to be hit-and-miss.  I had two civ tents very close to each other, one was eaten and the other survived the restart...  Since then Ive got 2 more tents in my own mini tent city and all have survived at least one restart. .357 ammo seems hard to come by but I put down my repeater for an mp5 this time around because mags galore.  308win is spawning but rarer than a few days ago. Food and PET bottles are certainly harder to come by, it takes a lot of looting to get healthy (which I think is a nice change).

Other notes:   Heli's are spawning in the same locations after restart, loot doesnt seem to be replaced/change.  NWAF & tent city had minimal loot and/or a lot of civilivian loot.  Might be my own luck (or where I'm searching) but I havent seen a mountain backpack, hunting or sposn since this update (or for that matter civilian mags, clips, speedloaders, etc)

spawned in a shed. with a hat and shotgun ammo. ran to a town. literally 10 minutes in and my guy is "dying of starvation" my screen is turning white.

how do you expect anyone new to enjoy this? how do you get inland to find food when you die of starvation in 10 minutes?

did they turn up the hunger on the new spawns? i don't remember having a new guy be so close to death from the very onset...

Very true... this is how I feel!

Speaking as a noob this sounds very disappointing.  I thought loot was hard enough to find already

Best DayZ experience since a long time.

This is the best Update ever.

I am dieing A LOT.

And i'm an old mod vet.

This update brought back what made DayZ so great&popular:

its f*** hardcore!

you have to fight HARD to stay alive!

You die A LOT!

You are AFRAID again!

THAT'S THE WAY IT WAS MEANT TO BE!

I am back playing this, after just trying to for the last updates.

• Like 6

Speaking as a noob this sounds very disappointing.  I thought loot was hard enough to find already

followed by

Best DayZ experience since a long time.

This is the best Update ever.

...SNIP

LOL, great! Bigben, just hang in there. I guess as a noob this update is a little extreme, but you will get it with time. We just have to adjust to the new half done zeds. Concentrate on stealth and you wont get killed ... by zeds or players ...  if you can evade melee with zeds, do it by running and breaking line of sight or locking them up. And if water or energy run low, you can always pick apples. Might not be the most exciting thing in the world, but it works.

Edited by bautschi

As a noob, it is difficult. But, that will get better as you start to learn the map, learn where things spawn (which changes from patch to patch at times, and will require adjustment), how to efficiently handle zombies, etc.

This patch is more challenging, and might increase the initial learning curve a bit for newbies, but I'm convinced that at least some people are just being emotional, and are greatly exaggerating things (though, I suspect some servers might be having loot issues as well).

It has been more difficult for me to find loot (since I last played a few months ago), but I've not had trouble. Have 3 different weapons, fair amount of ammo and mags, and a stuffed full backpack and tactical vest, and it was probably a couple of hours worth of hitting 3 small towns (only one of which was large enough to have a police station, which is where I found a sub-machine gun and about 5, 30-round, mags).

It will get better. Rule #1... people are more dangerous than zombies. If the zombies are kicking your ass right now... they kicked mine for two days in the beginning as well (I spent two days not even looking at an online map running around in the place as a true, complete, noob to it... It was a grind, as someone who came from arma 2 and arma 3, but had never played dayZ).

Even in their toughened state, zombies are not that bad if you keep your head on a swivel. You can still manage one or two on your own without much issue. Once you get the hang of it (or for some of the less-noob, noobs... make the necessary changes in your approach to accommodate the adjustments to gameplay).

Found myself a black high capacity vest in a outhouse NW of Castle Black. I found food rare but equip & clothes more common. Haven't found any weapons yet. Played public shard. Only problem I've found with zombies are they make no noise. Love the new AI!

So today i tried out 0.55 and i had a blast. I played alone, cause none of my friends were available and it was the most fun i had playing alone ever. The update is great! The Z's are not that hard to kill, early on in the game I got a Trumpet and ton of ammo and one-shot-killed most of the walkers with a headshot. Shooting zombies doesn't seem like a waste anymore. I found an mp5 with 4 fully loaded magazines but i haven't even used it yet. From what I'm reading i got lucky, the coast was picked clean when i searched for loot, thank god that i didn't spawn there. I headed inland and almost got killed by 3 Z's. Dayz seems to be heading in the right direction. They really need to fix the loot spawn points (finding tkso jackets in random houses) and the coast problem though. 

So I finally found an hour for another short run. Thankfully, my 0.54 character is still alive and Energized from catching the drift and pigging out for a week before Exp changes rolled into Stable. ;)

Started where I left off the last time — at the Malinovka Factory construction site (between Polana and Orlovets). Saw one zed wandering around the gate, and another one off to the distance in the west treeline. Found no loot in the first 10 minutes of search and decided to move on, since my Hydrated status disappeared and I had no water on me.

Decided to leisurely backtrack south to Dolina, as it seemed like the closest safe water pump location and I ran out of Purification Tablets. On the way, peeked into the deer stand (112080) and found zilch. While making my way down the hill through the shallow forested gully to keep my profile low, ran into a neat little camp next to what seemed like a storm drain or sewage outlet (roughly 111084). Not sure if it's documented already. Only three cabins, a burnt-down car chassis and some park benches and the sign says 'Pioneer Summer Camp'. Found Painkillers and Vitamins. Contemplated filling my Tincture with dirty water, but that sewage pipe made me change my mind. :D

tICgtRx.jpgysJvJ4X.jpg

Upon making my way to the edge of the treeline, observed Dolina with a detached LRS. From the state of some doors it appeared the village had been visited but not yet picked clean and had only 2-3 zeds wandering the outskirts. I was absolutely right: I found a Yellow Raincoat, Epinephrine, Saline Bag, Black Firefighter Jacket and Head Torch in just one house next to the water pump. In the nearby Police Station, I found some very appropriate loot — a Double Rifle Snaploader, Police Jacket, 30rd .22 Magazine, a pristine Makarov and Handcuffs galore (3 damaged, 1 worn, 1 pristine + 2 sets of worn keys).
Also, whoever left their 37% full Canteen at the pump — thank you, after having been emptied out and refilled, the canteen went with me. I am now Hydrated and Stuffed full of water! I left you an empty Tincture. :)

Observations (I didn't take notes the last time):

• Very little to no food is spawning now. Better start hunting / growing / trapping / gathering / fishing ASAP.
  • The Infected are indeed more deadly, or, at least, harder to put down (beat one to death with brass knuckles to the head, sustained 3-4 blows from him, bandaged, patched my Green Quilted Jacket, avoided the rest). Knockback works and is a godsend.
  • Still can't get used to the drastically reduced naked eye zoom. My confidence in my situational awareness dropped by half, slowing my pace down by about as much. It feels as if I'm suddenly a nearsighted senior. :P May have to get a 2560x1600 monitor later on to remedy this to some extent.
  • The player count is way low on all servers at the moment, especially 1PP.

P.S. Really enjoying the new idle animations on the main menu character.  :thumbsup:

OPJek0p.jpg

P.P.S. I was playing on a 30-50ms ping server, and the rubberbanding / desync was rather minimal and tolerable.

Edited by Veyda
  • Like 2

Has anyone been able to find any 5.56 nato ammo or mags with this ammo inside so far?

yeah, i found a 30rnd Cmag at a crashsite few hours ago. But I havent found 5.56 ammo boxes yet

after the new patch  I have a note from battle-eye:

Blocked loading of file:  C/program files/bonjour/mdnsNSP.dll 

My game still works but I have no idea wtf is this?

Played 1 1/2 hours or so - my first character that already had gear didnt last too long but i figured out roughly how things work - New character ended up with full gear BP, 2 guns, all the meele type weapons (killed Z's with gardening hoe, then pick, ended up with the ol fire ax) was energized and fully hydrated by the end of my time with a bag of rice as back up food

Harder yes thankfully, still not that hard (didnt have to hunt grow or stand at a tree for eons)

Edited by tiadashi
  • Like 1

after the new patch  I have a note from battle-eye:

Blocked loading of file:  C/program files/bonjour/mdnsNSP.dll 

My game still works but I have no idea wtf is this?

Bonjour is some apple software thing. Imo it installs it when you install itunes.

• Like 2

Has anyone been able to find any 5.56 nato ammo or mags with this ammo inside so far?

I've found a box in a UAZ. Only 1 though, and searched about 50 of those looking for attachments. (They spawn LRS, PU scopes, pistol suppressors, weapon flashlights, etc.)

.45 ACP and 5.56 are the rarest for me. Can find plenty of .308, 7.62x54r, 5.45, 9mm, shells, arrows, bolts, etc. but somehow .45 ACP and 5.56 are very rare. 

I dumped 2x30 rnd Cmag and 2x40rnd Cmag since M4s and AUG are pretty rare, and I don't search for crash sites anymore... They seem to be pretty glitched on persistence server, spawning items 20-30 feets away from the surroundings of the crash sites. No problems so far on persistence disabled servers. Police cars and crash sites (dynamic events) are packed with goodies on persistence off servers.

I've found a box in a UAZ. Only 1 though, and searched about 50 of those looking for attachments. (They spawn LRS, PU scopes, pistol suppressors, weapon flashlights, etc.)

.45 ACP and 5.56 are the rarest for me. Can find plenty of .308, 7.62x54r, 5.45, 9mm, shells, arrows, bolts, etc. but somehow .45 ACP and 5.56 are very rare. 

I dumped 2x30 rnd Cmag and 2x40rnd Cmag since M4s and AUG are pretty rare, and I don't search for crash sites anymore... They seem to be pretty glitched on persistence server, spawning items 20-30 feets away from the surroundings of the crash sites. No problems so far on persistence disabled servers. Police cars and crash sites (dynamic events) are packed with goodies on persistence off servers.

No more pers off servers

Okay.. that explains alot. UAZ means what exactly? Any truck/car wreck or do you mean the air control tower on airfields?

Where do you find persistence disabled servers? It moved to core features and we can't uninstall it anymore, as we did before.

• The player count is way low on all servers at the moment, especially 1PP.

P.S. Really enjoying the new idle animations on the main menu character.  :thumbsup:

Player count is dying rapidly on 1PP server...  :(

As for menu idle animations, I'm really glad they're back!!  :lol:  I love stopping a character mid-animation to take screenshots! Dunno why it took about 5-6 months to get them back though...

2n8x95c.jpg

• Like 1