SmashT

Stable Branch - 0.54 Discussion

Yesterday a buddy and me were on a loot run. You could say, we hit the jackpot. When we came to NWAF, it wasn't even touched. We found at least 6 SKS and a heap of ammo for it. Many clothes and food. Then, there was this beauty. Shiny blue and just waiting for us. My buddy, never seen a V3S before, wanted to drive. When we were cruising the streets down to Elektro, you could feel the lag. But never mind. Then in Elektro, we drove around, when suddenly, "DayZ doesn't work anymore". When I respawned, I awoke at the beach near Elektro. My buddy, who also got thrown out of the game, was still near the car, but had to fight of a mass of Infected/Zombis or whatever. When I got back to him, we tested, if a flare gun could kill. So beware people, the flare gun is deadly.

im getting this crash about every 20 mins, anyone managed to get yours to stop doing it?

29xxjy1.jpg

It's a bug in the code. The devs are working on it.

Already sent a bug report but I was curious to know if anyone else has this issue.  My friend constantly gets the "receiving" screen after a few minutes of play.  Sometimes he can get back into the game, other times he has to close completely.  He uses no startup parameters. The only remedy we've discovered is verifying the integrity of the game cache.  This seems to fix it temporarily, but it always comes back.  He has a pretty decent setup (i5-4670k, 8gb, 7790) so we are unsure what is causing it.  We considered a hardware issue but this only started happening when .54 was installed.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Derick

I had exactly same problem. No startup param but I discovered the problem. It is not a memory leak. Usually after you start game and play for a while it is normal that in use memory will start to grow, however I discovered that in build 0.54, rigth after you start game in main menu the "committed" memory is already very high like 6 GB out of 8 GB total virtual memory. For those who don't know, "commited" memory is not "in use" memory; it is something like "memory reserved". Now, if you join a server it take about 20 minutes for the commited memory to reach 8 GB from total of 8 GB. I use no page file so my virtual memory is equal with physical memory. For people who use page file,  virtual memory is extended and will take longer for the game to remain with no memory.

So I suspect there is no memory leak, but a huge memory commit at game startup.

I had exactly same problem. No startup param but I discovered the problem. It is not a memory leak. Usually after you start game and play for a while it is normal that in use memory will start to grow, however I discovered that in build 0.54, rigth after you start game in main menu the "committed" memory is already very high like 6 GB out of 8 GB total virtual memory. For those who don't know, "commited" memory is not "in use" memory; it is something like "memory reserved". Now, if you join a server it take about 20 minutes for the commited memory to reach 8 GB from total of 8 GB. I use no page file so my virtual memory is equal with physical memory. For people who use page file,  virtual memory is extended and will take longer for the game to remain with no memory.

So I suspect there is no memory leak, but a huge memory commit at game startup.

If memory usage increases in time, it means memory which is used and not needed anymore is still allocated.

This usually happens when programmers forget to "release" variables. When they are releases, the garbace collection will take care of freeing the memory they used.

Simple case of memory leak really.

If memory usage increases in time, it means memory which is used and not needed anymore is still allocated.

This usually happens when programmers forget to "release" variables. When they are releases, the garbace collection will take care of freeing the memory they used.

Simple case of memory leak really.

No, you don't understand what I mean. Some of memory is not release intentionally for some reason like texture caching or other things. All other builds prior 0.54 start with 700 MB and reach 2.6 GB after some hours and this is normal I think.

A memory leak would cause DayZ to pass this 2.6 - 2.7 GB limit and not stopping there.

Edited by lucianpin

It seems all dropped items (gloves, shoes,helmet) work as barricades when it comes to V3S. A friend stepped out of his v3s to clear the loot from the road, moved the glove & the truck ran over him :lol:

The items were kinda mid-air bugged. I drove over items on the road before; beide the fireplace my truck usualy ignored them.

I couldnt strip the body of his gear... so i drove to cherno to pick him up but it was already too late; his body was gone by the time we got back.

Edited by halp

Hej, have exactly the same problem, and also started with 0.54. Not using launch parameters either.

Yup this is also occurring randomly with me

Trucks are much faster now; especially up hills which is nice. Watch your speed when going down hill and traversing over uneven terrain b/c this will happen to ya if you're not careful. Didn't realize until it was too late how much easier it is to roll the V3S  ;)

16478068479_dbe216df9d.jpg

FYI - Do'nt drive trucks until the leak is fixed. It kills you when it crashes (which at the moment it inevitably will).

Not necessarily true, we have crashed numerous times without anyone dying.

Someone else can confirm this?

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/221332-054-issues/?p=2224443

It makes perfectly sense for what I was saying about huge COMMITTED memory right from the game start.

I've been using that launch parameter for about 24 hours and it's been a lot better. Haven't had any crashes. The game does start to have micro-freezes after about an hour, but it's definitely better.

• Like 2

Bodies seem a lot more lootable for me, dragging to the left seems to work even when they've slid down a hill for me.

Also here is a tip like the f11 glitch used for splints and applying salines etc: Spam 'z' as you are doing the action which completes the action every time. Saved me a lot of hassle when my legs broke :)

Gotta say I think this patch came too soon.  Last patch felt really good, of course there's always problems, but overall last patch was some of the funnest times I've had in the SA.  This one feels like it was rushed.  Here's some issues I have with it:

1) Stomach Capacity is a mess-Your stomach capacity now is tiny.  You can easily get stuffed, even to the point of vomitting before getting both green hydrated and energized. The result is constantly being hungry/thirsty while simultaneously stuffed.  Having to eat a can here and there or drink 1-2 drinks from a pump/pond.  A smaller stomach would be fine if eating a full can of food/full bottle of water actually kept you going for a while, but right now these values are a total mess.

2) Zombies respawn mechanic-I might be crazy but last patch (or maybe it was the patch before) it seemed like the zombie respawn thing was either taken out or vastly improved.  It seemed like they toned down or got rid of the zombies respawning/reaggroing as soon as they die thing.  This patch it's very much back.

3) Crashes-Pretty self explanatory and I think everyone is experiencing them to some degree.  I get the memory crash everyone is getting, but a friend of mine is getting a large variety of weird crashes that he wasn't before.  Either way, a mess.

4) Truck speed-Trucks needed some uphill love, but what we have now is pretty absurd.  They are incredibly fast over all terrain now, inclined or otherwise.  Their engines constantly screech too to the point of being annoying.  Some where between what it is now and what it used to be would be better.

Any ways, I know there's hiccups.  There's some cool stuff this patch too, but I just feel it coulda spent another week on experimental at least.  It seemed to come out of no where honestly, I really wasn't expecting a patch yet.  I'm sure they'll sort a lot of it out but things have definitely taken a step back overall imo.

• Like 3

- Weapon degradation.
- Suppressor degradation.

Why? Stupid worrisome mechanics that no one wanted.

i want that...did you ever fire real gun in ur life ...need some cleanig to work good .....if u dont take care of it the gun he/she  will not give u power/accuracy you want!and thats good survival mecanique

• Like 2

i want that...did you ever fire real gun in ur life ...need some cleanig to work good .....if u dont take care of it the gun he/she  will not give u power/accuracy you want!and thats good survival mecanique

Hes just upset he cant go to Elektro and deathmatch as easily as before. I agree its a good survival mechanic. Once the game becomes more about survival the better.

Remove your launch parameters.

How do I remove these? I remember changing them...nut can't remember what the original ones were....

God, bow needs a buff already.

Not only you have the slowest projectile,

it has 0 range or should i say way too much drop, you cannot move when firing and you can stack max of 5 arrows that already take up two slots.

I understand that it is currently not possible to fire and shoot but the rest should defenately be tweaked. What happend to 100% chance of bleeding?

Like, people literally laugh at my bow untill i pull out a real gun... :( Not even joking here.

crossbows could use some love too.

Persistant trucks are fun. I love hidding them all around the map making my secret stashes :D

Edited by halp
  • Like 1

God, bow needs a buff already.

Not only you have the slowest projectile,

it has 0 range or should i say way too much drop, you cannot move when firing and you can stack max of 5 arrows that already take up two slots.

I understand that it is currently not possible to fire and shoot but the rest should defenately be tweaked. What happend to 100% chance of bleeding?

Like, people literally laugh at my bow untill i pull out a real gun... :( Not even joking here.

Agreed- the bow is brutal. I tried to kill a cow with one before the AI buff from about 2 cow lengths and didn't even make the distance. I was going to try and aim roughly with a trajectory that pointed towards Mars but then got bored with the idea, ditched it, and shot the cow with my double barrel shot gun. Unfortunately that was also relatively ineffective and I ended up using just about all my shottie ammo as well. After all that you'd think I'd let the cow live- I mean... she earned it right? 

Wrong.

Out comes the axe... couldn't get close enough... swinging like a mad thing, chasing the cow through the streets of Berezino... Picked up a zed conga line that eventually ruined my assault vest and gorka jacket. 

Funny now looking back on it but I almost flipped my desk upside down at the time. 

• Like 2

shot the cow with my double barrel shot gun. Unfortunately that was also relatively ineffective and I ended up using just about all my shottie ammo as well. After all that you'd think I'd let the cow live- I mean... she earned it right? 

Wrong.

Out comes the axe...

Lol, been there :D Sawed off vs a boar in my case...

I shot some 500 arrows thanks to 0.53 exploit and whilst its not hard to repeatedly hit a 30-40m target once you figure out where the dot should be and time the bow swings, it's still pure luck hitting a moving target.

I forgot to add..

I dont use the first person thumb view because it often blocks me from drawing when i switch from 3pp. Really inconvinient if something is in the way of your LOS and you need to change camera angle to take a shot. I hope this gets fixed aswell.

I would love either a dropoff range buff depending on the arrow type, or dexterity buff once we're able to move & shoot with it. Right now i feel like im turning slower than with most of firearms.

Maybe even a different type of bow that draws longer but fires further.

Edited by halp

I had a PSO-1 (second time I've had it in 300hours) and I'm just waiting for them to retrieve our attachments before I start playing. So are there any news on this matter ?

I can't sharpen my axe with stone anymore. This is a problem if the axe is getting ruined after just cutting a relatively few trees. Axes needs to be more durable, how many trees can you chop in real life before the axe is ruined? At least the stone was a good insurance, although it takes alot of space.

I've been using that launch parameter for about 24 hours and it's been a lot better. Haven't had any crashes. The game does start to have micro-freezes after about an hour, but it's definitely better.

Me too, -maxMem=2047 is the solution for me.

• Like 1