Sign in to follow this  
roguetrooper

Do we really need more zombies?

but did you craw after that? i had a couple of broken bones but didnt really see any big changes other then my arm is broken or leg messege. either my point was that it was more often in the mod then in SA

Yes! I had to crawl. Luckily my friend was near to cover me while I bandaged and make splints. I want more situations like that. Now if you find fireaxe, you don't have to run from zeds. I remember when zombies respawn was first implemented, we actually had to retreat from town, because zeds attacked from all directions.

Lets replace zombies with pink bunnies and guns with water guns, cars should be karts and food should be replaced with candies.

• Like 1

Lets replace zombies with pink bunnies and guns with water guns, cars should be karts and food should be replaced with candies.

Or just add magic mushrooms and get the same effect.

• Like 1

Already exists.

200px-RabbidsGoHomeWii.png

• Like 2

Imagine DayZ as a single player game. PvP (i.e. the presence of other players who can kill you) is the spice of DayZ. An offline search for food and warmth would be quite boring. Maybe they (or Dean) intented it to be more focussed towards "a few humans vs. many zombies", but actually people play it PvP.

I am not against many zombies. I just brought up this topic concerning how bad the (current) engine is in handling many NPCs (models and their bahaviour) at once in comparison to other games with many NPCs.

It's not just the number, its the challenge they add (or in this case dont add) to the game play. let's be honest zombies are laggy, glitchy, and annoying- Not Challenging. the only real threat is them lag-punching you where you "used to be".

I hope zombies become harder, and more dangerous both by weight of numbers and more damage/diseases from them (they are made of rotten flesh and all). Before this tho , the AI and path-finding needs to be sorted. zombies should be something you try your best to stealth-past rather then dance around  in circle like a retard. being hit by one should do a lot more damage and carry the risk of various infections, and yes there should be more. that said aggro range when thier facing away from you need, your prone, or moving slowly crouched should be reduced mele weapons should do more realistic damage ( a crow bar/steel pipe-wrench smashing into your head should do severe/deadly damage reliably)

It's not just the number, its the challenge they add (or in this case dont add) to the game play. let's be honest zombies are laggy, glitchy, and annoying- Not Challenging. the only real threat is them lag-punching you where you "used to be".

I hope zombies become harder, and more dangerous both by weight of numbers and more damage/diseases from them (they are made of rotten flesh and all). Before this tho , the AI and path-finding needs to be sorted. zombies should be something you try your best to stealth-past rather then dance around  in circle like a retard. being hit by one should do a lot more damage and carry the risk of various infections, and yes there should be more. that said aggro range when thier facing away from you need, your prone, or moving slowly crouched should be reduced mele weapons should do more realistic damage ( a crow bar/steel pipe-wrench smashing into your head should do severe/deadly damage reliably)

They are not made from rotting flesh. They are literally humans infected with some-unknown disease, with all the strengths and weaknesses that implies.

I, for one, hope that eventually everything that can be done to a player can be done to a "zombie". Want to escape from a zombie? Break their legs. Stab a "zombie" then get beaten to death? The next player to come alone might find two corpses, as the "zombie" bled to death. etc etc etc

They are not made from rotting flesh. They are literally humans infected with some-unknown disease, with all the strengths and weaknesses that implies.

I, for one, hope that eventually everything that can be done to a player can be done to a "zombie". Want to escape from a zombie? Break their legs. Stab a "zombie" then get beaten to death? The next player to come alone might find two corpses, as the "zombie" bled to death. etc etc etc

Rather infected or not, look at one. im not saying they are 'undead' in the traditional sense, but they are clearly, visibly ditry, covered in varying amounts of blood, and their flesh appears to be in a questionable state. at any rate they are prime candidates for being disease carriers- not just the 'zombie virus' but various others as well from being filthy and coming into contact with other human's blood.

Soon we'll get infections and other medical mishaps. I assume getting mauled by a zombie will be a good way to get infected.

A little new to the game to enter the debate objectively but at a subjective level I'd like to think that they'd take into account that people who are killed either by zombies or other players would have an accelerated decay (same way we see gardens grow in 8 minutes) so the smell draws the zombies if the sound of a melee weapon crushing a skull doesn't. Running low on ammo and food? Well, killing the guy in front of you will get you whatever he has... which, if your status is any indication, may not be much- but you're going to need every last morsel of what he's carrying in order to sustain you through the escape and evasion from the incoming horde. So the potential benefit cancels itself out... This will be significant when we can't sprint across a country in an hour and a half without stopping with 50lbs of gear on our backs. 

People are going to kill people no matter what- I think I've read about that enough. It shouldn't, however, be perceived as the easier way out of the predicament... Whether that predicament is survival of the game, or just the human interaction.

A little new to the game to enter the debate objectively but at a subjective level I'd like to think that they'd take into account that people who are killed either by zombies or other players would have an accelerated decay (same way we see gardens grow in 8 minutes) so the smell draws the zombies if the sound of a melee weapon crushing a skull doesn't. Running low on ammo and food? Well, killing the guy in front of you will get you whatever he has... which, if your status is any indication, may not be much- but you're going to need every last morsel of what he's carrying in order to sustain you through the escape and evasion from the incoming horde. So the potential benefit cancels itself out... This will be significant when we can't sprint across a country in an hour and a half without stopping with 50lbs of gear on our backs. 

People are going to kill people no matter what- I think I've read about that enough. It shouldn't, however, be perceived as the easier way out of the predicament... Whether that predicament is survival of the game, or just the human interaction.

The thing is, based on the available environmental evidence, there really wouldn't be a lack of food, at least, not "natural" food. Autumn in a "temperate deciduous forest" is pretty much a solid breadbasket when it comes to wild forageables. Only thing is, you actually have to be able to identify edible plants, and how to prepare them. Maybe include a book about it?

Realistically, no-one would be starving in Day Z so long as they wanted to work for it. Thing is, people don't want to actually have to work for their own survival. They just want to do the "pew pew" in Berezino.

• Like 3

The thing is, based on the available environmental evidence, there really wouldn't be a lack of food, at least, not "natural" food. Autumn in a "temperate deciduous forest" is pretty much a solid breadbasket when it comes to wild forageables. Only thing is, you actually have to be able to identify edible plants, and how to prepare them. Maybe include a book about it?

Realistically, no-one would be starving in Day Z so long as they wanted to work for it. Thing is, people don't want to actually have to work for their own survival. They just want to do the "pew pew" in Berezino.

Point taken-

I guess I'd really just like to see there be a balance of good and bad when you decide to pull the trigger. Right now the worst thing that can happen is your shot ruins that nice piece of equipment you didn't know the guy you shot was carrying. Ruined that AKM mag? Oooooh Noooooooo (Jim Jefferies).

I'm hoping they have some plans since turning this into one elaborate pvp is going to leave 95% of the functions they've spent a year now (and probably at least another year) developing unused since everyone will still run around and shoot first.

I by nature am more team orientated- and don't generally LIKE running around alone. Ironically now I play in the role of an overwatch kind of watching things go down. I'm timid as I'm still learning the game and don't have the reflex skills to get into anyone's face with confidence. Gradually I will. 

I'm excited about the potential that more zombies will bring provided they don't compromise game performance. I understand we can't have EVERYTHING and some guys running lower end systems and holding true to their Windows XP fetish may be left grumbling... But the constant threat of large wads of zombies coming in and ransacking everything you've accumulated, whether gardens or tents or otherwise... would be an extremely gratifying terror. Well fed or not- you won't be able to run forever... but the zeds will.

Edited by ENO75

Soon we'll get infections and other medical mishaps. I assume getting mauled by a zombie will be a good way to get infected.

I got infected the other day by using a sewing kit instead of a bandage. XD

i actually wish there was an option to have a separate gamemode in game where you can ask for waves of zombies. 

and while zombies can be more of an annoyance that the real threat of other players stalking you, they can keep you on your toes so you dont let them creep up on you and ruin your gear or break your arms and legs. 

• Like 1

i actually wish there was an option to have a separate gamemode in game where you can ask for waves of zombies. 

meh ....id Play left for dead for that...

Aren't 'a few' (whatever this may be) zombies enough to serve as a reason why the ingame world is as it is and why its society has fallen apart? PvP is the core of DayZ.

What? No it's not - it's just one aspect out of many. Zombies are another one and depending on how you play the game it might even be more important. More zombies all the way - both PvP and PvE should provide a challenging experience.

Limiting the game to PvP (by making zombies, survival etc. too easy) is just as bad as limiting the game to PvE (by introducing actifical punishments for killing/not interacting).

Edited by Evil Minion

Isn't the problem here partly one of distribution, either of player spawn points or of Zs?

You spawn as a freshie in Z-heavy areas. By the time you've got through that, and are well geared, you tend to gravitate towards the north west. And, at least in the far north west, there are no zombies. At all.

So at your most vulnerable, you are most at threat (and Zs can be a serious pain in the ass for fresh spawns). By the time you've got your act together, there are few, if any Zs. Unless you want to deliberately go looking for them, which is probably just a waste of effort.

I do hope zombie spawns won't be limited to towns and cities in the future. I'd like to be cutting through the woods one day, and stumbling across a horde moving through the trees.

Does anyone remember when I think DayZero made the zombies infect you with about every other hit, and killed you in about five hits? That made meds the most valuable thing to where people traded vehicles for meds. Unfortunately after about a week or so people complained so much they nerfed them. That was the good old days. I actually worked with strangers more often then not during that week.

One example I remember clearly is I met a guy who gave me some food, then my friend wanted to kill him for his gear. I prevented my friend killing him and then literally the next day my friend became infected and that same person traded with us so we could get meds for my friend. That is an actual example I can point to where increased zombie threat and low chance of survival increased player interaction. In the end it is an investment in cooperation that will give you a greater chance of survival. Yes we could have killed that guy for his gear, but then he wouldn't have found the meds that we needed the next day and my friend would have died.

I do hope zombie spawns won't be limited to towns and cities in the future. I'd like to be cutting through the woods one day, and stumbling across a horde moving through the trees.

Well I know that is what they want to do, let's hope they can pull it off.

I really want to see more zombies. This is the freaking apocalypse, there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of zombies for the size of the world we explore. There needs to be more living dead. Without more, the game just feels like a shooter/rpg with a few small enemies that get in the way. I want the zombies to feel like a threat. Not only the people that I meet in the game.

I really want to see more zombies. This is the freaking apocalypse, there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of zombies for the size of the world we explore. There needs to be more living dead. Without more, the game just feels like a shooter/rpg with a few small enemies that get in the way. I want the zombies to feel like a threat. Not only the people that I meet in the game.

The reason zombies are few and far between is because they're still being reworked. Buggy as they are right now, adding more would just cause more frustrations for players. Also, I think there are some issues with servers not being able to process hundreds of zombies.

Once the more serious issues are fixed, I expect we'll see a lot more zombies, that are a lot more dangerous than they are now.

You guys are just so damn cute! What are you going to do when you realise you are either wrong or sometimes it isn't good getting what you wished for?

a) You are right!  People will leave the game in droves. Most people get their kicks from PvP the thrill, the suspense of PvP. Not some retarded AI zom. Even if the AI was the most sophisticated programme known to man, it means nothing to being engaged in a battle with real people. There are thousands of single player zombie games that I can play to fix that itch. So how exciting is that, playing with 3 people on a server? You can do that now.

B) You are wrong! While we are having fun PvP'ing you will be on here whining and crying stating this game is about survival! LOL! It's not, it never has been and if the Dev's want people to continue to play this, it will always be about PvP. You are the vocal minority! The PvP aspect is what made this game!

And when your playstyle gets you killed by either zeds or better shooters, I'll gladly take everything you have thats not ruined when I come across your corpse, before I disappear into the shadows again.

Zombies were are far greater threat in the mod. Still lesser, but coupled with environmental effects, players should fall further down as a threat.

And when your playstyle gets you killed by either zeds or better shooters, I'll gladly take everything you have thats not ruined when I come across your corpse, before I disappear into the shadows again.

Rule #1 of DayZ never get attached to your gear! I have no concerns dying, it has happened a great deal over the thousands of hours I have played the game. My most enjoyable moments are after a kill and finding how much stuff the victim has, and how many weeks or months it must have taken to collect all that shit!

Yes, DayZ needs more infected.  Now I believe that instead of the usual infected roaming around outside in the open it'd be nice to be sneaking around scavenging inside of houses and buildings to open up a door to a room and see some infected inside.  This would add a lot more sense of danger to just running around full tilt through buildings collecting loot.

Edited by Caboose187