Azzerrrr

Any of you guys wonder what time period dayz is in.

I know what a Welrod is, and by comparison the Welrod looks like something Ghetto-rigged together from bits of spare pipe.

A Welrod is a bolt-action suppressed handgun, for use in WW2. An Amphibia is a semi-automatic .22LR target handgun, fed by a spring-loaded magazine.

Just because two guns look slightly the same (and the Welrod and the Amphibia TOTALLY look like two peas in a pod, right? /sarcasm), doesn't mean they ARE the same.

By that line of thinking, the FNX, CR75, and M1911 are all the same thing, cause they look slightly the same! Right?!

-Meant for the other guy-

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 1

This board pretty much says it.

It's after internet came to Chernarus and considering at a poor country like Chernarus, I'll say It's like 2002 or more. That's minimum.

I'll say 2012.

YYwfZpd.jpg

Edited by Yazar8

Surely all this proves is that it takes place any time after 1998.... so 2430? ;)

Interesting that it mentions Slovakia. I could be wrong but I think this is the only real place name in the game other than Moscow being mentioned on the road signs.

btw, Smadny in Slovak means thirsty. There is a beer there called the Thirsty Monk (or is it priest). It's not bad, quite high % if my memory serves me right.

Edited by ricp
  • Like 1

I thought it was already established that this takes place a short time after ArmA 2. (2009) Earliest it could be is 1985+ anyways, with mentions of the conflict in Kolgujev, and by extension, Everon/Malden/Nogova. (Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis) http://i.imgur.com/0TAl9m5.jpg?1 http://www.dayztv.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/dayz-everon-sign.jpg

And now that I look at it, look at the release date at the top of the billboard. 2009+...but maybe it could be before ArmA 2..?

Edited by Geckofrog7

Sometimes, when I join a server, it gives me the date of "August 11th" in the top right hand corner of the screen. Isn't that when "First to Fight" in ArmA II took place? Maybe it's the same date?

It has long been known.

Shame too a cold war setting could have been fantastic and original.

It's not bad, quite high % if my memory serves me right.

It serves you wrong. Smadny Mnich is proper disgusting :lol:

I thought it was already established that this takes place a short time after ArmA 2. (2009)

Official quotable source, or it's a simple fan theory/wishful thinking  :)

It serves you wrong. Smadny Mnich is proper disgusting :lol:

Isn't it like 10% or something? Now consider that to a Tennents Super which is about the same. A super tastes like it was fermented in a homeless man's gusset.

Isn't it like 10% or something? Now consider that to a Tennents Super which is about the same. A super tastes like it was fermented in a homeless man's gusset.

I don't think it's 10% but I'm not sure. I think it's a really bad beer. So is Tennents to be honest. I suppose I'm just too much of a beer snob being used to Czech beer and all <_<

I don't think it's 10% but I'm not sure. I think it's a really bad beer. So is Tennents to be honest. I suppose I'm just too much of a beer snob being used to Czech beer and all <_<

Don't get me wrong it's not as if I don't have a refined palate, Belgian/Dutch/German brown beers are my preferred choice, however when you are travelling and living off Lidl's 30¢ lager I thought the thirsty monk was not that bad.

Back on track a little, is Slovakia the only other real place name in the game barring the Moscow references on road signs? Can anyone think of any others?

But when will we be able to drink it in game?

All the info I can find is that Dayz is set in a post-communist state. So, this would put us in the 1990's. 

However, how far into "today" does the game reach? Are we talking about a period of e.g. 20 years (1990-2010), or are we looking at a point in time, e.g. the year 1991? One reason I ask is, because this could potentially change the infrastructure and look of some places; also concerning the technology and vehicles.

From the props ingame so far, we can guess that we are dealing with a point in time, as all radios, tv sets and computers seem to still be designs from Communist production. The same goes for the cars to come and vehicles in general. At the same time we have billboards like the "Welcome to Sahrani", which refers to the first Arma island. So there is some international tourism going on (which currently seems limited to hiking and staying in holiday villages on the map).

I think if we are talking about a point in time in the mid 90's , we should see more expansion and probably entire areas under construction, instead of isolated building sites. There would be new industrial boom areas, hotels build and generally big changes to the environment and existing infrastructure. So, obvioulsly that's not the point, so I guess we are dealing with a point in time, right after the revolutions, i.e. ~ 1990. 

I think this limits the game somewhat, and I understand this has a purpose, in terms of content that need be created. If you have to cover a range of 20 years, there's obviously going to be a fair bit more diversity than at any particular point in time at the beginning of that timeline. It's a pity though, because I think this extra-infrastructure could be very interesting. It would bring in some western looking, recognizable structures (like shopping and recreational/mall areas outside of the cities). It would put some modern structures close to the old buildings and environments, which could be interesting contrast. There would be foreign embassies, e.g. freshly build or rennovated, meant to build relations with the young state. It would just add some diversity to environment and obviously to loot placement. 

It makes sense that this is a point in time in the way that only right after such a catastrophe you would actually be able to find resources in the way we do ingame. 20 years into the future, this would all look pretty differently. However, I would like to see a map version some day (perhaps through mods/workshop) where the virus broke out 24 years later, in a much more developed Chernarus state, which has an upgraded infrastructure. 

All the weapons currently in game were produced during or before the 90's. Although soon the UMP45 will be added, which was first produced in the late 90's

We've had this thread over and over. I cant look now, but in the past threads I have posted that the epi-pen in game has an expiration date printed on it. You can go back from this date, because epi pens have a given shelf life to which the exp date wouldve been calculated. This gives you a date when the epipen was created ingame. IIRC, i deduced the game was taking place in at least 2014.

A mall would be freaking AWESOME for some infected fun! :P

Here is the thread I was reffering to:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/213782-any-of-you-guys-wonder-what-time-period-dayz-is-in/

Some highlights are Chris Torchia said DayZ follows right after Arma 2 in a timeline.

FNX.45 wasnt made until 2012.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/213782-any-of-you-guys-wonder-what-time-period-dayz-is-in/page-2#entry2085262

And a further link to yet another thread discussing this, which is now dead because it mustve been merged.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/213782-any-of-you-guys-wonder-what-time-period-dayz-is-in/page-3#entry2146153

A mall would be freaking AWESOME for some infected fun! :P

Chernarus is a relatively poor and developing country and especially not america. -_-

a year post Soviet union break up would have been fantastic.

Really unique time period full of turmoil , misery and suffering. It would explain why they were also unable to contain the virus.

Modern day is just done far too much looking into the past is a great way to make the game unique.

• Like 1