saamohod

Shoes in experimental

I just noticed this in the list of changes in experimental: "Gear: Shoes degrade over time"
Well, that's nice really. But the reasonable question would be, are there any penalties for NOT wearing footwear? Why bother with degradable shoes if you can just run barefoot?

Edited by saamohod

I can just imagine "my feet are sore" coming up in the feed. 

If there was going to be a penalty what would it be? 

Possibly reduced overall speed while walking or running? feet start to bleed over time without shoes? 

You lose health at a speed comparable to health regeneration - maybe a little faster.

So as long as you stay at full blood and well nourished its not a big thing but when you don't regenerate health it will slowly weaken you and even kill you in extreme cases. There might be a funny interaction with chemical poisoning though: As it reduces your health to 1 even if you manage to survive moving barefoot or with ruined shoes might kill you instantly (not tested yet).

when you run with ruined shoes while beeing healthy, you alternate constanly between healing and healthy. So you lose health a little bit slower than you regeneration rate.

it's definitely a major issue if you do not regenerate your blood. running from kamyshovo to elktro with ruined shoes while beeing a freshspawn is not a good idea right now.

Funny thing that atm pristine boots are ruined in like 10 minutes or so.

Many folks are now carrying several spares as well as few duct tapes to repair boots :).

• Like 1

*Running for freedom after being captured by bandits after being force fed rotten food*

*is naked and taking damage from running in the forest*

*dies from food poisoning and foot damage*

*bandits laugh at your corpse because of how you died*

• Like 1

allright screw this. I dont want my damm pristine black/red running Shoes to degarde..and even IF they should last at least 200h of gametime.

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 2

allright screw this. I dont want my damm pristine black/red running Shoes to degarde..and even IF they should last at least 200h of gametime.

they all end the same way : dirty grey/brown, damp and RUINED

Edited by Zboub le météor

Its just silly how fast footwear degrades, I've still got shoes from 5 or 6 years ago that are broken in not broken down and I've put plenty of miles on all of them. My work boots are about 10 years old as well and the only thing that's ever broken down on them are the laces so hopefully they find a better footwear designer cause what we have now sucks

• Like 1

Its just silly how fast footwear degrades, I've still got shoes from 5 or 6 years ago that are broken in not broken down and I've put plenty of miles on all of them. My work boots are about 10 years old as well and the only thing that's ever broken down on them are the laces so hopefully they find a better footwear designer cause what we have now sucks

I can relate, My shoes just wear down rediculously fast and it's noticable week by week

New shoes suck.

It's not useful to compare this first implementation of shoe degradation to any real life situation. The Devs want to test the system and gather data, and it would be a painfully slow data gathering when your ingame shoes last 200 hrs.

Remember they aim to push a new experimental update every week and a stable branch update at the end of the month, so the faster they get their data and start working on improvements, the better for the upcoming stable update.

That being said, run, survivors.

• Like 1

"Gear: Shoes degrade over time"

that´s shit, you can have the same shoes for months without them breaking in real life

that´s shit, you can have the same shoes for months without them breaking in real life

Read the quote above you man , lol , no sense in getting angry at something that's gonna change very soon !! A few Keywords for all of you that DONT understand : TESTING PURPOSES, DATA COLLECTING , but what chain said hit the nail on the head : it's the first iteration and they need to see the affects of running with broken or ruined shoes . Plain and simple . It's not to spite you guys lol !

Many folks are now carrying several spares as well as few duct tapes to repair boots :).

I was going to say, if the rate of decay is long I'm fine with it. This bullshit time they can keep. I'll play again after the next patch, maybe.

Do we even need this mechanic in game. As other people have pointed out, shoe's last a fuck of a long time and is it really worth all the dev and testing time on something that really isn't that big of a deal?

Let's also remember that we didn't wear shoes as a species to begin with, like every other animal and I don't see them having issues because an Elephant can't squeeze into a pair of Wellies. Over time your feet would harden anyway and you wouldn't need shoes.

Edited by Jexter

I keep at least one spare pair on me at all times now. I try and find a decent pair of boots to put on, then stash some sneakers (2 slots) in my backpack.

Normally this wouldn't be a big deal (and really it still isn't), but there is literally no point in caring about what you're wearing on your feet right now as long as it isn't ruined  :( They've removed any motivation to find and maintain a nice pair of shoes (i.e. Blue Rock/Red Punk Military Boots for cool factor, Wellies for water resistance, etc.), so I just grab whatever is laying around. In my opinion, this is the REAL reason they need to slow degradation down.

Do we even need this mechanic in game. As other people have pointed out, shoe's last a fuck of a long time and is it really worth all the dev and testing time on something that really isn't that big of a deal?

It's not something we need, no, but it is another element of immersion. Shoes shouldn't be indestructible, but they do need to dial-back the wear rate significantly for a Stable release. Hopefully they get enough data from a week of testing in Experimental to make that happen.

Degading shoes, okay.

And were any bugs fixed at the last experimental update?

Edited by Yazar8

Damn devs, introducing experimental features on the experimental build. Who do they think they are?

• Like 6

The developers have this mind set that everything must happen in a single one to two hour play session. Why can shoe degradation and such not happen over multiple hours or days of playing?

• Like 1

It's not useful to compare this first implementation of shoe degradation to any real life situation. The Devs want to test the system and gather data, and it would be a painfully slow data gathering when your ingame shoes last 200 hrs.

Remember they aim to push a new experimental update every week and a stable branch update at the end of the month, so the faster they get their data and start working on improvements, the better for the upcoming stable update.

That being said, run, survivors.

True but if no gives an opinion things like this and other game mechanics that won't get tweaked or fixed. Sorry for giving my opinion but walking around a town looting and having to find 3 different sets of shoes(because everyone hoards the duct tape now) due to my guy constantly bitching his feet hurt kinda take the fun out of testing in experimental.

Trying hard not to be negative but sticking your head in the sand and avoiding things that need fixing helps no one.

The developers have this mind set that everything must happen in a single one to two hour play session. Why can shoe degradation and such not happen over multiple hours or days of playing?

Because then testing would take an unnecessary long period of time. And you you might run into other things (like people killing you) that prevent you from testing. I really hope once they fixed persistence a lot of things (gear degradation, cooking, horticulture, trapping etc.) will take much more time meaning you have to put some planning into those instead of "just quickly growing food" for example.

It seems going without shoes makes you take more damage than going with ruined ones. I ran around with ruined wellies and my character only dipped into "healing" even going back to "healthy" while moving (so healing amount > damage amount). When going without boots I dropped to "healing" and upon stopping I had to wait for some time to get back to "healthy" (healing amount < damage amount). maybe the underground plays a role as well.

• Like 1

I appreciate the system the devs seem to be creating: nutrition, temperature, weather, item condition and so on all interacting in order to influence character health...at the moment, even after those crazy builds like the first 0.50 hunger meter (DayZ: Extinction Event) and the current nonsensical item degradation (DayZ: Bloody Stumps), IMHO this is a very enjoyable game even if it's an Alpha. But honestly, I'm more and more puzzled by the priorities of the dev team...footwear degradation? Ok, fine, it's immersive and stuff. But...is it seriously worth of their time considering the current game development level?

There are many, many other things in dire need of major tweakings or even a complete overhaul. IMHO, of course.

It's not something we need, no, but it is another element of immersion. Shoes shouldn't be indestructible, but they do need to dial-back the wear rate significantly for a Stable release. Hopefully they get enough data from a week of testing in Experimental to make that happen.

Doesn't it break immersion? Caring about shoes for a start is so asinine and the rate they decay in real life is years. There's seriously nothing immersive about having to find another pair of shoes after a few hours of running around.

There's also another issue with persistence now, people having huge stockpiles of the most mundane crap. how's the server going to handle everyone's 10,000 item stash piles?

I assume a type of 'my feet are sore' thing would be implemented at some point, but i don't really see a down side to wearing any atm. Aside from looks.