SmashT

Stable - 0.49 Discussion

Has there been any further information released from the dev team regarding the remaining server crashing bugs?

In the last update they reported a fix to a couple of bugs which were causing some crashes, but I've not noticed any further communication about what they think is still causing the issue.

new kind of hack?

me and my friends were near the airfield. then we all went blank, our gear dropped to the ground and then we got shot.

weirdest way to lose all your cool stuff...

ps - does anyone KNOW if tents REALLY stay persistent on persistent servers now, ??? or are they sometimes there, sometimes gone, and mainly no one knows what might happen to them? I'd like to know when persistant storage definitely WORKED and you could rely on it. I'm a kind of backwoods player, ya know ?

Our server had a couple of tries at enabling persistence since .49 came out. Before the hotfix items could disappear (mostly clothes and items with inventory), but after the hotfix I had no such issues whatsoever. Even put a backpack on the floor of my tent and filled it up, it was still there with all items several restarts later.

Sadly we had to turn persistence off to fix loot respawning. If a server you've placed a tent on disables persistence you're still likely to see your tent again as it will be stored on a separate save file which can be reloaded when persistence is re-enabled.

• Like 1

(Theory: People who get attached to gear probably didn't play the mod.)

I'm sure that's true in most cases. I gave the Mod a try AFTER playing hundreds of hours of the Standalone, and I can tell you that it was a hard lesson for me to learn the first few times I had a geared character die. Now I just laugh when I die, be it from a good battle, a strange glitch, or whatever. The only way to get over it is to die many, many, many times :p

well my experience is that loot persistence isnt really working ... just placed a fireplace behind a tree, came back a few hours later , it was gone after the restart

new kind of hack?

me and my friends were near the airfield. then we all went blank, our gear dropped to the ground and then we got shot.

weirdest way to lose all your cool stuff...

This happened to me last night at the airfield as well; every single item I was wearing just suddenly dropped. I so wish I had fraps running at the time but I didn't. However, I did not die but "hacking" did come to my mind right away and I was preparing to hear gun fire. I didn't hear any but I also didn't wanna hang around on such a high pop server to try and test out if this is a bug of some sort. 

It was really random, I turned the corner at the prison building  and BAM! all my stuff dropped.......

well my experience is that loot persistence isnt really working ... just placed a fireplace behind a tree, came back a few hours later , it was gone after the restart

We disabled persistence based on this as well. We tried several items setting them down in different places, restarting our server several times on purpose and each time the loot was gone. We also disabled BattleEye Extended controls as its not restarting the server automatically. It seems to hang or just not restart at all. 

Loot Tip: I'm sure every server is different as well as each player's experience, but I have found some damn good loot in Balota and the airfield despite not having the tents there anymore. If you have not checked it out, its worth a look if you spawn in Cherno or further West.  

This happened to me last night at the airfield as well; every single item I was wearing just suddenly dropped. I so wish I had fraps running at the time but I didn't. However, I did not die but "hacking" did come to my mind right away and I was preparing to hear gun fire. I didn't hear any but I also didn't wanna hang around on such a high pop server to try and test out if this is a bug of some sort. 

It was really random, I turned the corner at the prison building  and BAM! all my stuff dropped.......

We disabled persistence based on this as well. We tried several items setting them down in different places, restarting our server several times on purpose and each time the loot was gone. We also disabled BattleEye Extended controls as its not restarting the server automatically. It seems to hang or just not restart at all. 

Loot Tip: I'm sure every server is different as well as each player's experience, but I have found some damn good loot in Balota and the airfield despite not having the tents there anymore. If you have not checked it out, its worth a look if you spawn in Cherno or further West.  

Peristence only works for backpacks and tents. Leave those out for a restart or two and if they're also disappearing then persistence is not working. Regular items don't stay over restart, persistence or no.

• Like 1

Hoo! 50 player server testing on Stable branch today. Wonder if they've fixed the persistence/loot spawn issue yet

http://steamcommunity.com/games/221100/announcements/detail/144437682212278877

I tested the persistence with two stashed backpacks on DayZ GB 1-269 (MPGS Server), apparel like jackets, pants or other clothing with slots still disappear after several restarts/crashes. Indeed they get saved at least for one restart/crash but the next day all clothing with slots are gone for sure.

I wish the devs would do the survivors a favor and gives them finally an official statement if this is known/bugged (and will get fixed), if this is intended (some items have life time even stored in backpacks/tents) or whats going on!?

And its more complicated than it looks, here some instances:

- Gorka E Helmets can vanish as well, probably because there is a (potential) slot for the visor

- Rifle attachments can vanish as well, for e.g. if you put an AKM/Rail handguard on an AK101 rifle the handguard will disappear after restarts even if you dropped all into a tent (but the original buttstock on the AK101 will get saved)

- gloves are getting saved, probably because there isn't even a potential slots like on some headgears

You never know which items are getting saved and which ones will vanish... thats absurdity! But the worst is no official statements about the whole thing.

Edited by Sharplooter
  • Like 2

Peristence only works for backpacks and tents. Leave those out for a restart or two and if they're also disappearing then persistence is not working. Regular items don't stay over restart, persistence or no.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try stashing a backpack this evening and do a restart of the server. We're still seeing issues with BEC by the way......i've disabled it for now on our server b/c its seems to run the job's whenever it pleases  :(

If anything theres an issue for being cold and eatingfood, that was recently fixed but it was horrible, no matter how much I ate I'd starve to death or freeze to death

I have found that myself but only on some servers, which if I get that problem I just switch and am all back to normal

I've really got to rant about this update.

To give some background, I've not played in a few months due to my laptop. Ordered a new one, bought a new copy. Installed. Whilst downloading, I read the .49 update list. 

-New melee hit detection - 

This is what's pissing me off the most, but there are others.

Melee; this has to be a step back. I stood hitting a zombie 4-6 times in the head before it died, that's not including the amount of 'misses' I made. The melee system is ineffective, in fact you're more likely to die because of the melee system than any other cause of death because it's just......crap. What was the previous version, why did it feel better than the current? What's the reasoning for this? swinging things at less than a foot away will hit most objects, so why not in DayZ?

Coming off the hit detection, is it me or do you bleed after one hit? Within 5 minutes of spawning, I have a black and white screen. I may be rubbish, I may not be. Irrespective, you are at a severe disadvantage; it's very difficult to get going. Supplies are limited, for obvious reasons and as a result you need equilibrium. I'm not asking for 10 hits before bleeding, but something needs to give. 

Do all survivors have hypothyroidism? Because I ate 3 cans of beans within 20 minutes and my character was starving. Within an hour and countless houses and areas searched, I later died of starvation. I want loot to be difficult to find, but this is silly.

I appreciate most of this has probably been covered, and mods and devs are probably sick to death from hearing about it. But, DayZ sounds like it has taken a huge step back.

Been playing 0.49 for a few hours now with  a friend, and we have the same issues.

- servers with persistance "on" have weird loot tables. Hundreds of chemlights and flares, close to no useable melee weapons and even less rifles/attachments

- servers with persistance "off" have about the same loot tables as 0.47, but with new items included. Also, weapons / attachments and ammo seems to be more spread out over buildings, except for the military loot, which ( with the occasional exception ) is found in military areas.

- servers with persistance "off", seem to have admins who like their "restart server" button... :S

Some of the melee weapons seem to work better on zombie-slaying than others. What works best for me:

+ firefighter axe ( 1 hit to kill )

+ splitting axe ( 1 hit on head, 2 hits on body to kill )

+ Farming hoe ( 2 hits on head, multiple on body to kill )

+ Pickaxe ( 2 hits on head, multiple on body to kill )

- shovel ( useless )

- baton ( useless )

- bat ( useless )

- wrench ( useless )

I choose to use my fists on zombies if I dont have any of the useful ( top 4 ) melee weapons, seems to be quicker to punch them out in first person view hitting them in the head until they go down - and then run for safety.

As for weather effects, it's been said by someone before, but this is what I / we found

Rain: Gurka coat, Rain coat

Cold in towns: Woolen coat

Cold in mountains: Downen jacket

( and if they're damaged/badly damaged, repair them to worn..! )

Whenever you get to close to lakes/rivers, and you get instantly soaked - wring out your pants, you will go from soaked to wet to damp. Find a place indoors, light a fire and get warm.

Not sure if this has been said before, but find a pristine kitchen knife, so you get the most meat out of a shot animal when you quarter them.

My 2 cents: I'm not having any issues with this patch, when I play on servers with persistance "off". Except for the loothappy admins who restart their servers while they're looting and can't find their AK's. It's a different thing on servers with persistance "on" though, where it's almost impossible ( my experience, might be different for others ) to find a splitting axe, which is really needed to be able to survive the cold and stay out of towns for survival in the woods. But with the massive amounts of chemlights, at least you can have a disco party at green mountain :D

( edit: grammar )

Edited by Angr
  • Like 2

Well, After really bad experience with persistence on I’m keeping to persistence off. I do have to say of this isn’t fix to spawn loot in a better way, it could be a game breaker for me. Food was ok but the amount of repetitive useless supplies (found over 100 books)  and little to no guns was frustrating. I still don’t get how the new loot system works no matter how many times I read it. I need a dummy version or something.

As for weather, I have yet to be warm or hot. I’m always cold, though I only once died from it do to laziness and I was trying to kill the character. Usually I go inside a house during rain  and just wait it out. Different clothing’s take too much space to store and don’t have enough slots, so I just don’t bother. Sometimes the rain takes too long to go away though. I once waited over 10m before I just left the game and took a break.

But the best news is I finally got the killing Zs with the new system. Before I would run around swinging and it would killed them but now that just gets me hit always. So now I wait until they stop in front of me to attack and I just walk forward, turn really fast and hit. Kill them without taking hits every time.

Edited by igottapi4

As a new player (100 hrs) I’d like to input to the development that, from my objective point of view, the game seems to be in a fine and enjoyable state already (with persistence disabled). The only thing really bothering and also de-motivating is the amount of occurring `dubious` events. Some have also been described in this topic. It simply is occurring too much and is a game-breaker. In my personal and professional opinion, improving the anti-hacker abilities should have the main prior over the implementation of any new features. A part from that I’d love to see the persistence working and of course the implementation of vehicles. There a some minor bugs but they are no big pain.

This is the only game developed within the past 10-13 years that I categorize to be good. So this is an exceptional game to me. If there is any way that new players can be of more service, please sent me a pm or add me on steam J

Edited by Sunndae

When my character was a fresh spawn he was getting cold constantly, even with clothes on. Now, he is warming up quite often, and even under the rain I don't get cold anymore.

Edited by Karakoz

- Loot hard to find or no loot whatsoever? You're probably on a persistent server. Loot respawning on these is completely screwed up.

- Think the server's being restarted often by admins on a persistence off server? Unlikely, the server software is just crashing as soon as the server fills up and starts rejecting connections (my theory). I've often experienced that the server may crash again shortly after one of these full server crashes, even with few players on. Either that or it will freeze, declining all connection requests and leaving the server appearing full (or whatever number of players in at the time of freeze) and server time doesn't change. Even BEC scheduled restarts don't fix this, and requires a manual restart.

Edited by Sinnaman

I sent a ticket into Fragnet regarding our issues just to see if they could offer any help or advice. They believe BEC is the cause of the freezes and they're telling me right now the only way to restart is from our fragnet CP..........below is what they had to say

"At the moment we can't suggest you anything else as the crashes are software related.

BEC is indeed causing freezes after the new update, why at the moment the only way to restart is to manually do it from the game panel!"

I sure hope we see a fix today being Wednesday! Please!!!!

When my character was a fresh spawn he was getting cold constantly, even with clothes on. Now, he is warming up quite often, and even under the rain I don't get cold anymore.

yeah yesterday my character was in a 'freezing' state ALL DAY, despite having all the right clothes on, being bone dry, and building fires whenever practical.  had to make a beeline for the respawn area, so WHEN (not if) he went hypothermic and died my respawned character could pick up the gear.  then suddenly the messages about cold stopped entirely.  what the hell.

I mean... it's great that I stopped freezing to death, but they REALLY need to start programming shit to make sense.  alpha is no excuse for not knowing what logic is.

yeah yesterday my character was in a 'freezing' state ALL DAY, despite having all the right clothes on, being bone dry, and building fires whenever practical. had to make a beeline for the respawn area, so WHEN (not if) he went hypothermic and died my respawned character could pick up the gear. then suddenly the messages about cold stopped entirely. what the hell.

I mean... it's great that I stopped freezing to death, but they REALLY need to start programming shit to make sense. alpha is no excuse for not knowing what logic is.

I have found it to be like that on some servers, as if it's a server issue and not a mechanic. I have had 15+ hours on .49 and never froze to death

anyone else notice the "ragdoll" feature, the zeds will just slide down hill wherever you kill them?

and yeah the loot thing is annoying, but I have only been playing on persistence servers. whats the advantage to playing on them vs with persistence turned off really at this point?

Out of all the updates so far, this one is my least favorite.  I can't make it to a town and find loot quick enough to prevent myself from dying of starvation or hypothermia.  There seems to be almost zero spawns now and most of the items of clothing I find are pants, which can't really keep me warm. You start off as a fresh spawn with an already very empty stomach and being cold. It's constantly raining and once you actually are able to leg it out for 10 minutes to find a small group of houses, they are usually empty.  By then, your hunger is in the red and your shaking from the cold so you don't get much time to look around before you get sick and start to die. I kept track today and out of 10 characters I played, 2 died of starvation, 6 died of hypothermia within 20 minutes, and 2 died from zombies.  If real life was like DayZ when it came to getting sick, we'd all be dead if it rained outside within 20 minutes. Who would ever know that the human body is so damn fragile to rain? Hopefully this doesn't last long.  I'll try the game again after the next stable update.  Until then, it's just way to frustrating to play because the gameplay is extremely limited to not if, but when you will die from something other then players or zombies.

The only negative issue I've experienced with this patch so far is the constant server crashing on high population servers.  The last few nights after about 1900 hours PST every server with a player count of more than 20 crashes.  You're lucky if you can get 15 minutes of playtime in before having to move to another.

I like all of the other added features including the weather and less loot.

Punisher

Our Gameaholic.se (Fragnet) PE:off has been acting up badly since the 0.49. You may get 20-30 minutes of play then it crashes. When the server hits 40/40 you can expect a "no message recevided" coming any minute. We have tried with PE:on but the spawning was out of control. 8-12 hats (or anything else) on top of each other and constant crashes. With the constant restarting getting loot is just ridiculous. And we´ve been getting complaints from players on the server that we admins abuse and restart to often.... Well without the manual restart the server we pay for you to play on goes down. And that is not what we want. I really hope we can get some answers regarding this becasue I really want to keep our server up and the game/community going. With the PE:off option we can get some uptime but you never know when you just get "receving" when trying to eat some food. Something went really wrong and I hope for a quick fix. So please devs, adress this issue. 

• Like 1