Karmaterror

Player Degridation While Logged Out

Pretty much as it says, whenever you are logged out your huger and thirst would slowly deteriate (much slower than the ingame rates). This could help put the emphasis more on survival as food and drink stores would get eaten through more quickly.

It could have limits....

Regular -

Max HP loss 50%

Max nutrition/thirst loss 50%

Hardcore -

Max HP loss 80%

Max nutrition/thirst loss 80%

Thinking a week away from the game would be needed to reach the max levels, and it would be a quicker effect for the 1st day, slowing with each extra day. That way you would see an impact from just going to work and playing again the next night, but it wouldn't stack to max within a day or 2.

Maybe even an "extreme" mode where you can starve to death even while offline :)

• Like 1

That means I'd pretty much be a freshspawn everytime I log in, some of us have actual lives and don't get to play games every day.

Wait what ?

Are you actually suggesting that we start to punish players who don't have time to play often ? You know some people have lives, jobs, schools, holidays they don't spend in front of their PC. 

I can actually get behind this. Puts more emphasis on storing food rather than eating everything you find straight away. That there's a maximum amount of hunger/food that can degrade is a good idea. Starving to death while not playing the game would suck. It'd also make horticulture more important. I often have long breaks between playing; hell I've not played for over a month. Despite this I'm not in the 'some people have lives' camp. I think DayZ should be a challenge. However, it might be best if this is only a hardcore feature... if the devs decide to actually have a hardcore gamemode.

heh nothing like having the game play for you to your detriment whilst you are away. this is the primary reason I don't play state of decay anymore - the other reason is it was boring as hell but that's another topic.

Wait what ?

Are you actually suggesting that we start to punish players who don't have time to play often?

Actually not - it would just require another approach to nutrition and thirst. I would like to scrap the HP part though - this one really looks like punishment for me and health is a bitch to get back (a good thing that I would like to see expanded). On the other side your character should also slowly get dry over time and regain stamina while you are offline. Also your stomach should reduce - it would be stupid if you loged out in fully stuffed state and after two months of absense you come back - hungry, thirsty but even the smallest piece of food would make you vomit.

As for nutrition and thirst: What about adding a fixed cost to logging out - this way "off server paths" get some other cost than waiting time and it would give players who don't have time to play often less of a disadvantage. The limits should also assure you don't drop into dangerous levels - not below the amount you spawn with (hungry, not thirsty). This way by having a a bag of rice and some water even a player who logged out months ago would still get back to healthy pretty quickly.

Edited by Evil Minion

Yeah that's not a great idea. I have to work 4 days straight for 15hour/day so I woukd pretty much be a bambie everytime. Thats not cool at all.

I have school. AP homework. Sports. Work. I can't play vidya every day.

So no, terrible idea for people like me who have things to do that are higher priority than vidya.

As someone who thinks that DayZ should be made infinitely more difficult this is simply too much IMO.

Sometimes you just can't play for a while, regardless of how "dedicated to the game" you are. I don't think that people deserve to be punished for that.

• Like 1

heh nothing like having the game play for you to your detriment whilst you are away. this is the primary reason I don't play state of decay anymore - the other reason is it was boring as hell but that's another topic.

Was just about to mention state of decay :)

But no, this is not a good feature to have in a video game, it does nothing but punish people who doesnt have time to play every day imho.

• Like 1

I think when I'm playing I'm playing...I don't like this idea at all. I'm a busy man and sometimes take days off from gaming. So not signed. And no your not "hard core" for coming up with this idea.

But......this idea maybe applying presist items it would be interesting. Leaving items laying on the ground say like a gun, come back a couple days down the road and its rusty...or plants dieing or doing well..... and stuff like that.

Edited by CJFlint

Rocket did actually try this in the mod (with hunger etc), it was a huge fail and universally hated so was removed. I wouldn't expect this would make a return, if it did it would have to be in a separate game-mode imo.

You see...that is when reality and "fiction" don't mix. It is a "game"...not real.. a fantasy, an illusion....

Rocket did actually try this in the mod, it was a huge fail.

Those were the days... :rolleyes:

After having my passive aggressive rant..i thought about this idea...it may work with "Sleep Deprivation".

- You need to log off for 8 hours a day so you character gets a good sleep everyday...if you play for 24 hours none stop, or you log off for less than 8 hours you character start to suffer from sleep deprivation.

After having my passive aggressive rant..i thought about this idea...it may work with "Sleep Deprivation".

- You need to log off for 8 hours a day so you character gets a good sleep everyday...if you play for 24 hours none stop, or you log off for less than 8 hours you character start to suffer from sleep deprivation.

So you want to punish people for playing to much?

Cmon mate.

Its just as bad as the OP's suggestion imho.

So you want to punish people for playing to much?

Cmon mate.

Its just as bad as the OP's suggestion imho.

Well, isn't really punishment...people have to sleep at some point, even the more hardcore die-hard gamers....

Edited by Cpanther

Well, isn't really punishment...people have to sleep at some point, even the more hardcore die-hard gamers....

So when people get together to do a weekend lan, they can only play for x hours before they are forced to log off and play something else. Some people dont sleep for an entire weekend, and do nothing but play games you know.

I would call it punishment tbh.

So when people get together to do a weekend lan, they can only play for x hours before they are forced to log off and play something else. Some people dont sleep for an entire weekend, and do nothing but play games you know.

I would call it punishment tbh.

You still can play... you character will just suffer from sleep deprivation as you will do, once you log off for 8 hours the sleep deprivation goes away, just like in real life... i thought you guys like "realistic" things.

You still can play... you character will just suffer from sleep deprivation as you will do, once you log off for 8 hours the sleep deprivation goes away, just like in real life... i thought you guys like "realistic" things.

Theres such a thing as "to realistic" for a video game :)

And basicly what you are suggesting punishes people for not logging off.

Let the player behind the screen, suffer and deal with the consequences, we dont need the video game telling us we are tired and need sleep tbh.

This goes into the same box as having to take a piss, a dump, cleaning your nails, brushing teeth, washing your hair and so on, its just to realistic and without a point in this game imho.

Instead of using the word realistic, use the word authentic. Its much more suited for video games.

Nobody wants a "Real Life Simulator", we play that game every day hehe. People want authenticity in games.

Theres such a thing as "to realistic" for a video game :)

And basicly what you are suggesting punishes people for not logging off.

Let the player behind the screen, suffer and deal with the consequences, we dont need the video game telling us we are tired and need sleep tbh.

This goes into the same box as having to take a piss, a dump, cleaning your nails, brushing teeth, washing your hair and so on, its just to realistic and without a point in this game imho.

Instead of using the word realistic, use the word authentic. Its much more suited for video games.

Nobody wants a "Real Life Simulator", we play that game every day hehe. People want authenticity in games.

Hey... i just trying to make the best of a bad idea.. also... who plays a game for 24 hours none stop ? :huh:  I mean... i consider myself a hardcore gamer, and i have NEVER played a game for 24 hours none stop....

Hey... i just trying to make the best of a bad idea.. also... who plays a game for 24 hours none stop ? :huh:  I mean... i consider myself a hardcore gamer, and i have NEVER played a game for 24 hours none stop....

I know several people who do actually :)

One of my friends played the new diablo expansion for almost 30 hours straight at release (yes he has no life, but thats beside the point)

Im sorry mate, but all i see is a bad idea and another bad idea imho, and i asure you im not doing this to be a dick :)

I know several people who do actually :)

One of my friends played the new diablo expansion for almost 30 hours straight at release (yes he has no life, but thats beside the point)

Im sorry mate, but all i see is a bad idea and another bad idea imho, and i asure you im not doing this to be a dick :)

I can only see two dicks in this post.....

Edited by Cpanther

Same for me, SoD was looking promising, played the 3 different flavors of it and the same crap has been kept in all the 3 versions; come back 3 days later, all the heroes gone or lost 0 food, 0 materials and the same boring missions to try recover the situation. No thanks, DayZ is fine like this, moreover I don't trust the AI to keep things on track while I'm away.

Edit: I wonder how Dean will overcome the difficulty persistence involves when talking about bases and shelters we all want to have in future versions, will they be defended by NPCs, will they be left without protection, this is going to be a big headache.

Edited by MaxTheSurvivor
  • Like 1