banjo (DayZ)

Should Rocket go sooner rather than later?

Think of it like a Kickstarter.

Most of the DayZ community was bitching about wanting Standalone to be released.. They kept chiding Rocket about it. So, Rocket released it in Alpha form, sold it for 30 bucks a pop, and is using the money to fund the development of the game. There's nothing "wrong" with doing it that way. We get to play the game we wanted to play, and Rocket and his dev team get paychecks for working on it instead of doing it for free. Imagine how slow development would be if it was being done by a bunch of volunteer or poorly paid programmers.

Well until we see any improvement in ambient sounds, desync, hacking, clunky and awkward controls, controls that don't even respond, etc..... I don't really see how they needed 40 million dollars in sales just to work harder on the game.  They had tens of millions of dollars in sales for at least 3 or 4 months before they increased the staff of 35.   So you can't tell us that they wanted the cash to immediately begin developing the final product.

I wasn't born yesterday man.

Well until we see any improvement in ambient sounds, desync, hacking, clunky and awkward controls, controls that don't even respond, etc..... I don't really see how they needed 40 million dollars in sales just to work harder on the game.  They had tens of millions of dollars in sales for at least 3 or 4 months before they increased the staff of 35.   So you can't tell us that they wanted the cash to immediately begin developing the final product.

I wasn't born yesterday man.

The game isn't done yet. I'd like to see those things fixed also.. But the game has been getting steadily better over the last 8-9 months. It will continue to do so until it's done. Nobody made you pay 30 dollars for it and you were warned it was in Alpha.

• Like 1

I would say we did not see any meaningful improvement until navmesh 3 weeks ago. So Im happy That we are finally seeing some core work done.

If you want to get a good idea of what your IQ actually is, attempt to join MENSA or join the Military, as they will usually test your IQ and give you a personality profile among other things in order to understand where you would be best utilized. 

No, you simply get someone to give you the WAIS, Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale. I used to support the software that does the recording and scoring of the test. I was tested multiple times as a child and young adult and my parents would not share the results with me until I was an actual adult but the phrase, "You are not working up to your potential." was thrown at me multiple times a year all through school. My highest recorded score was 154 and all of them were over 145. I'm pretty sure the multiple concussions I have suffered(received another one just 2 weeks back) may have lowered it some since then.

All IQ measures is your ability to grasp concepts and speed with which you can reason things  out. If you are not challenged or exposed to knowledge a high IQ will not be of any use. Me having an IQ over 140 doesn't mean I know more than my friend with a 130 something, or that I can solve an issue better than he can. What it does mean is that given the same base of information and education on a given topic, I might be able to reason out the answer to a problem before he might but again there may be a flash of insight he has or some other experience in his life that allows him to view the problem from a different perspective and solve the issue sooner. 

It takes intelligence, exposure/education, and drive to make a genius. I have enough of the first two but lack all but the most rudimentary drive to do anything with it. 

• Like 1

*snip for same old same old...*

you are really not getting bored of yourself dont you...all that bitching and complaining numerous times a day wont get you anywhere really...

you are really not getting bored of yourself dont you...all that bitching and complaining numerous times a day wont get you anywhere really...

That's all this forum is for. There is never a single constructive thread just the same gibberish bullshit being repeated over and over. If it isn't one group derailing every topic bitching about weapon calibers it's another group whining and bitching about the infected.
  • Like 2

No, you simply get someone to give you the WAIS, Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale. I used to support the software that does the recording and scoring of the test. I was tested multiple times as a child and young adult and my parents would not share the results with me until I was an actual adult but the phrase, "You are not working up to your potential." was thrown at me multiple times a year all through school. My highest recorded score was 154 and all of them were over 145. I'm pretty sure the multiple concussions I have suffered(received another one just 2 weeks back) may have lowered it some since then.

All IQ measures is your ability to grasp concepts and speed with which you can reason things  out. If you are not challenged or exposed to knowledge a high IQ will not be of any use. Me having an IQ over 140 doesn't mean I know more than my friend with a 130 something, or that I can solve an issue better than he can. What it does mean is that given the same base of information and education on a given topic, I might be able to reason out the answer to a problem before he might but again there may be a flash of insight he has or some other experience in his life that allows him to view the problem from a different perspective and solve the issue sooner. 

It takes intelligence, exposure/education, and drive to make a genius. I have enough of the first two but lack all but the most rudimentary drive to do anything with it. 

Yeah.. I don't think I said anything to the contrary of that. I've been tested anywhere between 120-153. Was tested in the "top 1 percentile" when I was in kindergarten.I don't see anything in what you said that contradicts anything I said.

He also became very wealthy much faster by releasing the aplha instead of waiting 3 years of working on a final product. So there was some other motivations to release the alpha other than him just doing us a favor. Dont be so naive.

Not bein naive i actually enjoy the testing experience so therefore im getting my moneys worth and the game is changing pretty rapidly now it was slow at first though ill admit that.

Yeah.. I don't think I said anything to the contrary of that. I've been tested anywhere between 120-153. Was tested in the "top 1 percentile" when I was in kindergarten.I don't see anything in what you said that contradicts anything I said.

Well, just saying you don't have to join the military or try for MENSA to get your IQ tested. There are online tests but they are untrustworthy so simply finding someone who is qualified to deliver the WAIS is probably the most accurate measurement you will get.

Well until we see any improvement in ambient sounds, desync, hacking, clunky and awkward controls, controls that don't even respond, etc..... I don't really see how they needed 40 million dollars in sales just to work harder on the game.

And here I insert the obligatory mentioning that the game isn't even in version 0.50 yet.

Relax, good things come in time. You can't microwave quick-cook a turkey. Well, maybe you can, but I'll pass on that meal.

Edited by bonesnap
  • Like 1

Well, just saying you don't have to join the military or try for MENSA to get your IQ tested. There are online tests but they are untrustworthy so simply finding someone who is qualified to deliver the WAIS is probably the most accurate measurement you will get.

Yeah for sure.. I didn't mean to insinuate that there was no other reliable way.. 

Is this thread a perfect reason to make Rocket not want to converse here on the "OFFICAL DayZ FORUM". Or is there another reason why he never makes his presence known on the main forum for DayZ? Just curious :?

Here's the bottom line - Rocket/Dean is to DayZ as Bill Gates is to Microsoft, as Steve Jobs is to Apple/Pixar, as Elon Musk is to Tesla/SpaceX. He's the face of it that everyone is most familiar with, from a community standpoint having him around as long as possible is good, regardless of what his hands on role is. The community doesn't really need to be up Bohemia's ass about how much coding Dean does or what Dean's role is from a direction or lead standpoint. it's been well discussed how there's been handoffs of many things as the team has grown and matured, and everyone expects that to continue.

Thus my opinion:

1. Rocket going sooner is ridiculous and obviously not preferable to him staying on as long as possible (in whatever role that is).
  2. A criticism - I would like to see Rocket visit the community (this one, the forums) again. Don't think he's logged in since March.
  3. A compliment - I do like that I see dev team members such as accolyte here engaging with the community regularly.

I have played this game for about 845 hours and my eyes have seen the glory of consistent progress under Dean Hall's leadership and his teams  hard work. I am well satisfied with the progress thus far and I look forward to seeing the game finished but I know that is a ways off. Everyone knows that developing a game takes time. If you don't accept that fact what you get is something that a moron like Hervé Caen would be proud to dump on the market. Rocket has no intention of releasing a piece of shit and neither does Bohemia.  

The dumbest  question I have heard lately is, Should Rocket go sooner rather than later?     As if it was a foregone conclusion that he should go!

Death BY Crowbar, Once again since your Marklars are both wise and true  you have earned another can of Beans, I wish I could enhance it with a bonus can of Peaches (but that option doesn't exist yet) :beans:

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 3

I have played this game for about 845 hours and my eyes have seen the glory of consistent progress under Dean Hall's leadership and his teams hard work. I am well satisfied with the progress thus far and I look forward to seeing the game finished but I know that is a ways off. Everyone knows that developing a game takes time. If you don't accept that fact what you get is something that a moron like Hervé Caen would be proud to dump on the market. Rocket has no intention of releasing a piece of shit and neither does Bohemia.

The dumbest question I have heard lately is, Should Rocket go sooner rather than later? As if it was a foregone conclusion that he should go!

Death BY Crowbar, Once again since your Marklars are both wise and true you have earned another can of Beans, I wish I could enhance it with a bonus can of Peaches (but that option doesn't exist yet) :beans:

Where have you been? Rocket already decided to leave so what do you mean why are people asking if its sooner or later? It was not the fans idea that he leaves. It was his idea to leave the project as soon as he can in the near future.

Its the only promise we can count on.

Dayz SA isn't moving along as quickly as we would like it to? Lets get rid of the guy who came up with the idea of the game we all love in the first place, that should get things moving along!!!

• Like 1

Seems like more than few people are fuzzy on Rocket's job description.  Can any of your detractors tell me who reports to him?  Who he reports to?  Who has the final say on any matter regarding development?  I noticed at least one guy talking about how the DayZ team needed some A3 programmers.  Can anyone tell me who DayZ's Lead Programmer is?  What his experience entails?  What titles he's worked on?  At least do some basic research guys. 

Should Rocket leave now, or later?  I honestly don't have an opinion.  The direction of the game is pretty clear and from what I understand, he retains creative control and will remain as a consultant even when he does leave.

• Like 2

Great gamnes such as Team Fortress 2 took 7 years to finish, juts give them a little more time.

• Like 1

Great games such as Team Fortress 2 took 7 years to finish, just give them a little more time.

Edited by Zealix
  • Like 1

Well that creative control better get creative because its almost a year in with no big features added.

If you don't realize that the Standalone is miles beyond the mod at this point, you're either kidding yourself or delusional.  The mod took ALREADY available models and used them for functions in the game.  They're doing all new models, all new designs, new playability, new everything.  The medical system is a big feature, the clothing and inventory system is a big feature.  You can cast them all aside because "not vehicles bro" all you want, but the gameplay is drastically different and advanced.

• Like 4

Where have you been? Rocket already decided to leave so what do you mean why are people asking if its sooner or later? It was not the fans idea that he leaves. It was his idea to leave the project as soon as he can in the near future.

Its the only promise we can count on.

The real question is what are you using to think with? Everyone knows that Rocket wants to go his own way AT SOME POINT.  So brilliant one please do NAME the date. :lol:

You have been crying like a little girl despite this clear and concise statement from Hall.

"WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING."

Read that real slow and then STFU as we are all tired or your little girl crying impression (its very convincing but tiresome). 

You complain, "its almost a year in with no big features added."  

hothtimeblues, I'm not sure you have the slightest Idea what a big feature is, so please do tell, what DO you think a big feature is?

And by the way your problem with reloading your weapon doesn't count as a game fault. Remember htb, if you want to reload using 'R' there has to be a place in your inventory for the empty magazine. Learn the controls sport. :thumbsup:

Actually if they wanted to be realistic (cruel to guys like you) pressing R when you do not have space for the empty would cause you toss the magazine into the dirt and then slap in a fresh one. Then you could complain about disappearing magazines :lol: (ever heard of something called magazine retention sport?).

And just because you are getting your ass kicked by your so called Ninja Zombies that others see as a minor or avoidable nuisance is no reason to bang on the game.

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 1

what the crafting nerds dont realize is dayz is a pvp deathmatch pure and simple wasting time on crafting useless items when better simple content which is actually used could be done.

stop messing around with crafting just give us the stuff we need and let us shoot each other. fun is simple this game isnt chess stop messing about trying to make it such a game its not

You would likely be surprised that people play this game for many hundreds of hours avoiding all contact with players.

• Like 2

Is this thread a perfect reason to make Rocket not want to converse here on the "OFFICAL DayZ FORUM". Or is there another reason why he never makes his presence known on the main forum for DayZ? Just curious :?

Rocket probably doesn't come here because it is impossible to hide content he doesn't want to see. He recently "threatened" to stay away from /r/dayz because people there make too many assumptions and he doesn't like that.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2ekiyb/rdayz_we_need_to_talk/ck11cde

Whic developer does that? What project leader stays away from the official game forum and hide away on a non-official forum? I would guess he does that so critic voices will not go here, but on reddit so this forum will remian critic free. When someone wants to buy the game, they go here to the official forum and sees only people praising the game and get fooled thinking this will be an awesome game when its finished.

Edited by JonySK

...get fooled thinking this will be an awesome game when its finished.

I am in good Spirits it will be. altho i see way too many negative Nancys, failtrolls and impatient buggers around here that i wish this Forum had a IGNORE function.

People that dont understand that things are subject to Change and wont remain borked should just...leave and come back in 2-3 months...or..never and pick up H2HIV or whatever the next craze is...

As for dev´s posting here. Well...seems that BI leaves them free Hand in that they themselfs can deceide what and where to post. And that is how it should be. It might have been better to hire some sort of Community Manager that is active.

next Thing is that the trolling, fanboy-calling prevents any meaningfull discussion. Ist the same People posting the same lamentations over, and over and over without seemingly trying to Play EXP and give Input at the bugtracker or in any meaningful Format.

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 2