banjo (DayZ)

Should Rocket go sooner rather than later?

yo dawg i hear you like developing games in games being developed on an undeveloped engine for games dawg

Also hi!  Its good to see this thread still ticking along like a zombie that just won't stay down.

I don't think he should go sooner rather than later. 

Sure he has his flaws, which are mostly to do with how he presents information to the community (although the negative response I can't help but feel is often mostly our fault not his). But DayZ is his vision, and I think ultimately we benefit from his input.

The main thing is that he is an inspiration. If one young modder out there looks to him and sees an opportunity to make something of their hobby then that is great, we need more people like him in the games industry. People who succeed at doing something a bit different off their own back.

Despite my often having to cringe due to him putting his foot in his mouth, I like Rocket, and I think he should stay until his creative influence is no longer necessary.

They should have at least used the most recent version of their engine (Arma 3) then...

There might have been reasons not to do so....

snbxf8i.png

• Like 1

The only problem is the Dean is not making the salad, is just telling BI the ingredients needed to make his salad..BI is just making a "new" recipe with that ingredients. Everyone seems to think that Dean is making the game... he is just the director in the orchestra, BI is composing the melody. 

Edited by Cpanther

Should the casual/impatient portion of the community who didn't play the mod back in 2012 go sooner rather than later? 

I hope so

snbxf8i.png

Whilst I'm sure I'm missing something but I'm sure I played king of the hill Arma 3 last night with more than double the number of players you find in DayZ. The frames were better (even though I'm running Arma 3 on Ultra and DayZ on lower settings. Also there was jets flying around, choppers crashing, buildings exploding etc etc etc).

Now I still found it boring and wanted to go back to DayZ because I much prefer the game. However my in game experience at this stage doesn't stack up with the above quotes from Rocket. I'm sure in 6 months time or so things will be different though.

Should the casual/impatient portion of the community who didn't play the mod back in 2012 go sooner rather than later? 

I hope so

Playing the mod doesn't make you less likely to moan about standalone. FrankieonPC being an example of this. There are plenty that have gone back to mod because they can't stick SA at the moment.

Edited by TheRunningManZ

Whilst I'm sure I'm missing something but I'm sure I played king of the hill Arma 3 last night with more than double the number of players you find in DayZ. The frames were better (even though I'm running Arma 3 on Ultra and DayZ on lower settings. Also there was jets flying around, choppers crashing, buildings exploding etc etc etc).

Now I still found it boring and wanted to go back to DayZ because I much prefer the game. However my in game experience at this stage doesn't stack up with the above quotes from Rocket. I'm sure in 6 months time or so things will be different though.

I think is very clear..the DayZ engine is going to be a "remake" of the Arma engine by the people that made that engine in the first place...Bohemia Interactive. Every time you start the game what you see ? the Bohemia Interactive logo ?... or Dean Hall logo ?

-snip-

To be fair, ( and it was my fault not to link to the souce of the image ), the post was made 12 months ago. I'm sure there have been many improvements in both ArmA3 and DayZ, but i think the picture explains the initial descision which engine to choose and the reasoning behind it.

I think is very clear..the DayZ engine is going to be a "remake" of the Arma engine by the people that made that engine in the first place...Bohemia Interactive. Every time you start the game what you see ? the Bohemia Interactive logo ?... or Dean Hall logo ?

I was more getting at the "Arma 3 doesn't support large number of players" bit and querying it a little.

I'm not suggesting things need changing. I effing love DayZ and have done since I found it (only in Jan this year), I wish things would move along a little faster but I still enjoy the game none the less.

• Like 1

snbxf8i.png

He's wrong on both counts, maybe he went full retard? Also there are fundemental scripting problems with the old "reworked" engine that will never be overcome. Standalone will need another "new" engine. Thank god BI refused to renew his contract.

Edited by Carrion