Caitlin

Gender Discrimination and Prejudice

Racism, sexism, bullying little kids, whatever. You can just ignore all the talking and kill players to shut them up, that's how it works in DayZ.

• Like 1

Gamers will descriminate no matter what the reason if they are losing or are keyboard warriors. When getting beaten or losing an argument in side chat they will resort to belittling, racism, making mom jokes or generally just swearing. Experiencing this as a woman doesn't mean you jump to the front of the queue waving the discrimination card about. We all get it one way or another, its the way it is. We are all grown up and can handle a bit of name calling or what not because for god sake we teach children about sticks and stones, why is it that the older we get the more offended we become and find it harder to deal with name calling or discrimination? We all say we want freedom of speech & freedom ff expression until someone says something we don't like then we start whining that we need more censorship. Now im not saying i agree with racial or sexist descrimination, but I'm big enough and old enough to brush it off and feel pity for the poor unfortunate fool who feels he is angry enough to use it on others in a computer game. 

• Like 1

I am also a girl gamer, and have never come across this. I've had the odd "your a bitch" but that's it, I usually end up having the upper hand. You will come across people who will just Kos, but it's part of the game, it's frustrating but it happens to everyone & it makes you a better player from learning by your mistakes.

Here are some tips for you to try:

Don't just voip, this is clearly causing a problem for you. Use text chat.

Stop trying to play as "medic/hero" this is almost likely gets you killed every time. Try playing the game as it's supposed to be played. (Play and survive)

As for "using voice-changing software to sound like a male" This is really extreme lengths to go to just to have fun while playing. Try to avoid going to popular Kos areas, be stealthy and observe before doing anything.

• Like 5

A more rational way of thinking would be to play a more reclusive survival style until KoS in general lowers when new things are added (higher zombie count, base building, skills, etc.). Don't be so quick to approach and if you have to, be the one to kill. In this way, you will be able to know how a killer thinks, be able to recognize a killer, and learn to avoid killers better when you switch back into a hero/medic play style. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

No need for these kind of comments around here.

• Like 1

Two million people play the game. I don't think more than five videos have been posted in this thread.

Now, my mathematics isn't the greatest, but I don't think 10 people in a community of TWO MILLION is an indication of a problem. Especially since I'd be willing to bet the verbal abuse that happened in those videos would've taken place regardless of the victims gender. Its just that since it was a female, its so much easier to come up with things to say to get under their skin.

I think the fact that there's two million people playing this game, and this is a 6 page thread with about 5 videos is just tribute to how much this goes on. We've all be shoot and had people talk to us in-game when we're being shot, but no one has ever insulted me because of who I am, it's just stupid pre-teen insults. Take that exact video and take out the girls voice, they wouldn't really have much to say.

• Like 1

If you are an europe Gamer I would advise you, not to go on a german Server, seriously don´t. I don´t like it to hate on my own People, but its by far the worst Gamer Community I have ever met. Only a few of them are thrustworthy.

WTF?!

What are you basing this on? I assume you have the results of the study you did across a representative portion of every kind of European server?  Oh wait, this is just your experience?  And regardless of your own background (German or otherwise) to judge a section of the population because of their nationality is exactly the same as judging someone because of colour, sexual preference or sex.  

Let's try not to be such a bunch of casually prejudice/racist dick-heads and think about what we are saying before we say it.

Recently in another post I noticed and commented that a lot of people use, as standard, very sexist rhetoric..  there is a constant stream of "man up", "grow a pair", "nut up", etc etc etc, that somehow implies that to be strong in this world you have to be a man.  

I think the Mod's should start clamping down on this kind of stuff, it's not acceptable.

• Like 2

When did I ever say I was against change? What I'm against is people like you who are playing wannabe humanitarians on internet forums while you most likely never actually did anything to positively address problems within society or did something that would have an actual improving impact on it. And what I can guarantee you is that potentially (but unlikely) changing the viewpoint of a few gaming forum users regarding your so called sexism which is nothing more than the hurt feelings of insecure individuals exposed to normal social behavior patterns that have no special relation to a single individual problem within society won't do jackshit for anything except your ego, where you can tell yourself that you "protected" people "weaker" then you. That's what you actually can call sexim.

Well, first of all, you should express yourself more clearly if you do not want to get missunderstood. However I still think I got the core of your previous statement just well. Your reply strikes me as one of the "I am not against X, but..." lip services.

Sexism is not simply the "hurt feelings of insecure individuals". It is discrimination by gender, which can be observed by everyone in everyday life as well as in the gaming community in the form of gender stereotypes.

It can however also be quantified as done in several scientific works on the subject, for example concerning income equality or again the gaming community.

Of course sexism does not exist in a vacuum. It is deeply rooted in the consciousness and subconsciousness of the people, as well as the material conditions of society.

Since it is so deeply rooted it might strike the uncritical mind as "normal" but may I remember you that slavery and feudalism were also deeply rooted in past societies and widely perceived as normal. As you can see, just because something is "normal" in the historical context it is not necessarily good, or an inevitable evil.

It's quite cheap to make assumptions about my private life and turn them into accusations. As a matter of fact I am politically active in several organizations.

No, a single forum topic will surely not change the world, however It does contribute to making people aware of the issue. And judging from many replies there is still an enormous need for that.

Ultimately, those who are affected most by sexism, i.e. women, are those who have to fight it the fiercest.

Taking part or supporting the struggle is not "protecting someone weaker" to make yourself feel comfortable, it is solidary uniting yourself with other, equal human beeings to struggle for a goal you deem worthwhile.

Edited by Buffaloe
  • Like 3

Well, first of all, you should express yourself more clearly if you do not want to get missunderstood. However I still think I got the core of your previous statement just well. Your reply strikes me as one of the "I am not against X, but..." lip services.

Sexism is not simply the "hurt feelings of insecure individuals". It is discrimination by gender, which can be observed by everyone in everyday life as well as in the gaming community in the form of gender stereotypes.

It can however also be quantified as done in several scientific works on the subject, for example concerning income equality or again the gaming community.

Of course sexism does not exist in a vacuum. It is deeply rooted in the consciousness and subconsciousness of the people, as well as the marterial conditions of society.

Since it is so deeply rooted it might strike the uncritical mind as "normal" but may I remember you that slavery and feudalism were also deeply rooted in past societies and widely perceived as normal. As you can see, just because something is "normal" in the historical context it is not necessarily good, or an inevitable evil.

It's quite cheap to make assumptions about my private life and turn them into accusations. As a matter of fact I am politically active in several organizations.

No, a single forum topic will surely not change the world, however It does contribute to making people aware of the issue. And judging from many replies there is still an enormous need for that.

Ultimately, those who are affected most by sexism, i.e. women, are those who have to fight it the fiercest.

Taking part or supporting the struggle is not "protecting someone weaker" to make yourself feel comfortable, it is solidary uniting yourself with other, equal human beeings to struggle for a goal you deem worthwhile.

I did not compare sexism to the hurting of individuals. What I did say was that it was the case in the specific incident described by the girl who made this post.

You are making assumptions about sexism you can't proof, or at least you provide none. Where exactly are your "scientific works" on the subject?

"Normal" is not a term you can generalize in the way you do. Normal is based on a fuckton of factors that could for example start with the society and culture you life in and comes down to the single person defining it.

I did not ask you if you are in a political party, I specifically asked you what you actually did to prevent what you so blatantly dislike.

You're comparing slavery to sexism? Seriously? But aside from that, there are actually more people living in slavery than at any point in history. So what are you doing about that? Here's some context for you: https://www.freetheslaves.net http://www.alternet.org/story/142171/there_are_more_slaves_today_than_at_any_time_in_human_history http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_slavery

Even considering that there are obviously more people living on earth than ever before this is kind of alarming to me.

So if this is as "unacceptable" as you claim where are the protestors on the streets right now protesting against slavery?

My whole point was that what the girl encounters wasn't sexism or gender discrimination but part of the human experience. The gender just doesn't mean shit like people like you claim who need to print a fucking label on everything and rant about it.

Every fucking girl that responded to the topic said it wasn't true and the girl herself said she was beginning to feel stupid because she understood that it wasn't gender discrimination but the ever present behavior humans can show. And that is also what others posted as reply, labeled by you as "sexism".

Obviously there are men who are using stereotypes to oppress woman, but that is true for fucking everyone who has some kind of power over others one way or the other. Or do you think this doesn't apply e.x. to the homosexual community? Also there is a fuckton of “false facts” regarding the inequality of men and woman, at least in the western world. I don’t see you fighting for woman’s rights in Iran though, or even human basic rights on the globe? If you actually are good for you bro, doesn't mean you can apply it for the given situation regarding Caitlin. Did I say you can't try to help others achieve equality? No. I said if you do it don't be such a fucking hyprocrit and do it for fucking everyone and not only the ones who bitch and moan about their problems more and the ones you “deem worthwhile”. This phrase alone shows how much you belittle others and not even noticing it yourself. Despite the fact that the ones you “defend” even wrote they don’t even feel that way in the first place.

Edited by TyrDaishi

-snip-

Let's cool it down a little shall we?

I am going to ignore your personal attacks and keep it to the point.

I was doing quite the opposite of generalizing the term "normal". Instead I was trying to point out how it is connected to the social and historical context.

I think using concepts like feudalism and slavery, that are nowadays discredited in "western" societys but were the norm in the past, to emphasize this is perfectly fine.

Anyway the issue of this discussion is neither slavery nor the opression of women in Iran or the issue of human rights in general, but instead sexism in video games and the respective community.

To clear some things up, I am not referring to OP's point in particular but the gaming community in general so I think i can safely assume there is an issue with sexism.

This thread is not the right place to list extensive amounts of publications, so I suggest you research for yourself, I am however willing to assist you via pm in doing so.

Edited by Buffaloe

I think the fact that there's two million people playing this game, and this is a 6 page thread with about 5 videos is just tribute to how much this goes on. We've all be shoot and had people talk to us in-game when we're being shot, but no one has ever insulted me because of who I am, it's just stupid pre-teen insults. Take that exact video and take out the girls voice, they wouldn't really have much to say.

I dunno, I've had some pretty colorful things screamed at me when I was on the receiving end of a hold up or a fresh spawn with no way to fight back. I'd love to share them here but I'd rather not get suspended for the post.

On the plus side of the 6 pages, its 6 pages of white knights and the odd "I play with girls and blah blah blah" post. Seriously, if you can't take someone saying mean words to you in a video game, life is gonna be real shitty for you.

Edited by Pandema
  • Like 1

As far as the person saying "It doesn’t help being a girl in this game, so bye.” before shooting you.. To me that just sounds like looking for reason to shoot moreso than being actually true that its just more reason to have to fire at you. I told a guy before his raincoat made him look too prepared for rain that I should put some holes in it before I shot him... Was it true? not at all... =p

Not doubting that some do have issue with playing with females, but personally I see that more in people below a certain age or maturity level.

How do you feel when you meet a girl in Dayz?

Just as much worried that Ill be shot in the back same as if it was a guy =p

As far as voice changing software... Screw that... Join or hang with a well established clan.. If not that, eventually youll meet up with people who are a bit more mature... Hell, Ive been playing this since the mod and Ive yet to find people to hang and play with outside of those I was friends with before playing the game.. The only time I have and being constant hanging with people known strictly from ingame is when I was really dedicated to a clans private hive in the mod.

Edited by cels

How is this discussion still going?

If people want to shoot you because you're a chick, who cares? People have blatantly stated on these very forums that they shoot others upon hearing their accent, so how is this any different? If you don't like chicks, blast 'em. If you don't like Canadians like me, blast us.

The OP claims this discussion wasn't an attempt to garner attention, but that's literally all it was. My wife has logged over 300 hours on DayZ (she plays much more infrequently these days, mind) and we've never run into anyone who shot her solely for being female. Being an annoying bitch, maybe, but not just because she's a woman. However, even if she had been shot because of her gender, it wouldn't matter. It's a game.

Everyone has a reason for mowing down others on the interwebz. I personally can't stand children that try to communicate using words like, "bro", "cuz", "swag", "yolo", etc. When I run into the aforementioned prepubescent pukes, I lay waste to them as well as the very bandwidth upon which they send these aggravating clichés.

• Like 3

Was my post deleted or I forgot to post it?

Most women in DayZ is gonna backstab you so it is ok thumb of the rule to KOS them on sight. Same with players playing with black character.

Hope this doesn't offend our SWJ moderators.

Edited by MaxRain

Most women in DayZ is gonna backstab you so it is ok thumb of the rule to KOS them on sight. Same with players playing with black character.

If a post gets pruned you'll get a notification that it was, course, it won't tell you WHICH comment they deleted so you have to go back and look.

And its SJW by the way.

• Like 1

Most men are going to back stab you too, I don't understand your argument, but then I don't really care because you sound like a dumb kid.

I will kill most kids on sight because they don't have the mental and emotional maturity to distinguish wrong from fun.

Kids like you will laugh at raping a woman just as much as laugh doing a silly dance around the campfire.

Let's start a new thread and call it KKOS... Kill Kids On Sight... if he squeaks on voice shoot him in the head. because he just doesn't have the mental and emotional ability to understand what is wrong.  

• Like 2

I would not be mad if the devs added unique, unchangeable character names and a bounty system so people like you can be hunted down.

• Like 1

A more rational way of thinking would be to play a more reclusive survival style...

Play like a HEDGEHOG!!

tumblr_m5zu8981Rk1r0wqrdo1_500.jpg

If a post gets pruned you'll get a notification that it was, course, it won't tell you WHICH comment they deleted so you have to go back and look.

And its SJW by the way.

I didn't get any notification. Maybe I was too harsh with my language one first post that's why mod decided to delete it.

Most men are going to back stab you too, I don't understand your argument, but then I don't really care because you sound like a dumb kid.

I will kill most kids on sight because they don't have the mental and emotional maturity to distinguish wrong from fun.

Kids like you will laugh at raping a woman just as much as laugh doing a silly dance around the campfire.

Let's start a new thread and call it KKOS... Kill Kids On Sight... if he squeaks on voice shoot him in the head. because he just doesn't have the mental and emotional ability to understand what is wrong.  

SJW like you always assume people with different opinions are kids. It is very arrogant worldview you have to say the least. Especially when you can't justify your own opinion. I stated the opinion, you stated yours and yet you tried to insult me and call me names.

I would not be mad if the devs added unique, unchangeable character names and a bounty system so people like you can be hunted down.

Yeah, and all SJW should have their own clan with [sJW] tag and I would happily avoid the servers they are playing in.

Edited by MaxRain

SJW like you always assume people with different opinions are kids. It is very arrogant worldview you have to say the least. Especially when you can't justify your own opinion. I stated the opinion, you stated yours and yet you tried to insult me and call me names.

Yeah, and all SJW should have their own clan with [sJW] tag and I would happily avoid the servers they are playing in.

WOW in what kind of bubble do you live in?

You managed to show intolerance and discrimination against women and colored people in just 2 sentences and then call me arrogant.

I never called you names, I said "you sound like a dumb kid".

KKOS (kill kids on sight) was sarcastic and of course I would never kill someone because they are a kid. 

:)

Edit: I am out of this topic, because I think it's just a waste of time trying to discuss discrimination on a games forum.

Edited by TiggyPooh

Everyone has a reason for mowing down others on the interwebz. I personally can't stand children that try to communicate using words like, "bro", "cuz", "swag", "yolo", etc. When I run into the aforementioned prepubescent pukes, I lay waste to them as well as the very bandwidth upon which they send these aggravating clichés.

Actually, funny thing happened. Had a guy shout down the mic YOLOSWAG as a fresh spawn trying to punch me out when I was scavenging on the coast as a fresh spawn myself. The dude sounded atleast 30. I presume it's more than just children, it's usually manchildren most of the time.

• Like 1

I'm not going to be more trusting because you're a girl. I don't see what the difference is in this game, honestly. You're virtual bullets do the same damage as anyone elses, and gender does not have any bearing on how you press that left mouse button.