Caitlin

Gender Discrimination and Prejudice

In my experience, idiots like depicted in the movie are less common on Hardcore servers (not necessarily KOS, but that's another matter). I understand that there might be other reasons to play on Regular, however.

and shes a great negotiator when meeting other players ( having a woman arround makes u thrustworthy .... ? )

Edit:

Kind of unrelated, but I find that to be a strange but interesting example of how gender actually can lead to emergent gameplay.

Edited by EleventhAvenue

I'm an equal oppertunity murderer I shoot everybody in the face, be it male or female.

I care not about your gender nor would I insult you are mock you, the only thing I care about is wheter or not you have a gun, and wheter or not you pose a threat.

If your a new spawn or just running past me i'd let you be.

Hell, I might even help you.

If your armed and comming my way...

* pets mosin lovingly * 

Well you know what would happen then.

Edited by Massacre

"Therefore, people have no reason for shooting me or mistreating me. In many cases, I am certain that if I had a male voice, people would be much nicer to me."

I stoped reading right there, fucking social justice warrior/feminist crap. Go away. Leave our beautiful insane asylum that is DayZ alone. People are deliberatly fleeing from all that bullshit to dayz, and you try bringing it back. DayZ is a fucking hellhole. Get used to it.

Edited by Khanarac

So, lets recap shall we.

Some Grrl gamer gets trolled in DayZ, comes to the forums to cry about the deep seeded muh-soggy-knee of people saying things for shock value on the internet.

All the white knights mount their chargers and come a-riding to the poor damsels aid, while simultaneously calling white knights "Basement dwelling neckbeards".

This is the funniest thing I've read all week, thanks OP. 10/10 would tell to HTFU again.

lol got to love the "I don't want to be treated special" line too. 99% of people are dicks to everyone in this game either out of fear or just cause. You aren't special. I have seen female groups that play i'd suggest getting in a group to make yourself feel better \ more comfortable ... Sure someone prob said that already. 

If there is anyone you should yell at that DO give females a bad name in gaming... The girls who don't even enjoy gaming and stream on twitch acting "promiscuous" in order to get pitty donations from poor guys thinking they have the possibility they might get some.

Edited by squeeb
  • Like 1

Hello there

@all Im feeling a bit too much misogyny creeping in to some posts.

You're more than welcome to disagree and argue your points but lets keep the sexism out of any replies.

mm'Kay?

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

I am quite amazed at how fast some of you are willing to tip your fedora and white knight on a topic that really is a non issue.

Someone beeing killed and insulted on dayz is indeed usual, but not the subject of this discussion. ( altough I don't think we should accept toxic behaviour as inevitable)

This discussion is about how female gamers are treated by the rest of the community. I do think having an open community that welcomes people regardles of their gender is very important.

Judging from videos, posts (some of them in this very thread) and my own, as well as others' experience I think there definitively is a problem with sexism in the community. When this starts to harm the playing experience of the ever growing group of female gamers to the point some don't feel welcome in the community I do think it becomes an issue.

Edited by Buffaloe
  • Like 3

Someone beeing killed and insulted on dayz is indeed usual, but not the subject of this discussion. ( altough I don't think we should accept toxic behaviour as inevitable)

This discussion is about how female gamers are treated by the rest of the community. I do think having an open community that welcomes people regardles of their gender is very important.

Judging from videos, posts (some of them in this very thread) and my own, as well as others' experience I think there definitively is a problem with sexism in the community. When this starts to harm the playing experience of the ever growing group of female gamers to the point some don't feel welcome in the community I do think it becomes an issue.

Two million people play the game. I don't think more than five videos have been posted in this thread.

Now, my mathematics isn't the greatest, but I don't think 10 people in a community of TWO MILLION is an indication of a problem. Especially since I'd be willing to bet the verbal abuse that happened in those videos would've taken place regardless of the victims gender. Its just that since it was a female, its so much easier to come up with things to say to get under their skin.

-snip-

What makes you think we are talking about 10 people? I don't quite understand who you mean with those people, offenders or victims? Anyway, the number is completely arbitrary and therefore meaningless.

And while insults and immature behaviour are unfortunately common in the community sexist or racial slurs have a quality of their own.

Why? Because they are not simple but rather unsubstantial insults like your common slurs. Instead they reenforce and perpetuate stereotypes as well as negative conditions in our society.

• Like 1

So all this being said, is there any point? There is no solution. What are you gonna do, make a ban hammer for anyone who shoots a girl gamer in an apocalyptic setting? Report players who "discriminate" who they kill? Yeah it will hurt a girls experience, but this is a free world environment, devoid of any rules (aside from cheating obviously) so there's nothing that can really be done about it. The last thing we need is white-knight server owners kicking people every time a girl player gets shot.

Edited by Hikurac

How do you feel when you meet a girl in Dayz?

If she doesn't immediately begin cooking beans for me, I put her down.

• Like 5

Don't want to go full geek, but I'd say it pretty well represents the response of most communities, maybe even simulates what to expect pretty well.

Also like to say that if people have only just noticed a trend of sexism/disrespect on the internets then i'm guessing you're pretty new to this whole anonymous communication thing...

We all know there's a few kids out there and they're mostly griefers. Half the guys (~half pop) are out there looking for a fight.  I wouldn't call it sexism, just that some sorry sob has noticed you've got a nice attractive voice that he can hammer down into a shrill cry for his own sadistic pleasure.

If you are a woman on this psychopath simulator, you are a minority.  This means that you are an attractive alternative to the regular gruff-voiced 'basement dweller' for torture or target.

It's already been alluded to here, but if you were a female out in a post-war anarchic environment I wouldn't be expecting many please and thank you's if you catch my drift...

You're different plain and simple.  You are the spice to their repetitive killing. 

Edited by q.S Sachiel

-snip-

Of course sexism is not just a problem of the dayz community. It's a problem concerning the whole society, the gaming community included.

This however does not make it less of an issue, as I see it this makes the problem even more pressing.

Also I do not think women beeing a minority in this community, as well as this beeing a post apocalyptic game somehow justify or alleviate sexism.

By simply proclaming that sexism in video games is normal and can not be dealt with you actually create an atmosphere where sexism can thrive instead of slowly receding and then dying in a corner.

In our role as members of the gaming community we can however contribute to ending sexism by pointing out the problems and making people conscious of the issue. However, by accepting things as normal or given while also downplaying the issue we achive the opposite.

Edited by Buffaloe

I wonder how much of your sexism is imagined and how much is real...Ive seen enough shit like this on the interwebs (esp when you Know about Anita Sarkeesian, #cancelcolbert and similar shit) to tell that most of it is imagined. The OP just asserted she would be treated better with a male voice, though there is no evidence of that. I watched the socialexperimentvid that was posted there. To me its some evidence that women get treated slightly better. 

Notice how she didn't get shot by anyone, just molested* at the end. The same experiment conducted by a male youtuber (which name i forgot) led to him die multiple times. People picked up the gun and blew his head away.

*Ive also seen a twitchuser being imprisoned in the policestation, then trying to "rape" his cellmate, but he had handcuffs on. He yelled at him to bend over and such. You can imagine. So, sexim? No. Special pleading by the OP? I think so.

It would be interesting to somehow investigate a players attitude who shouts out sexist stuff on the microphone. I'd like to know if its genuine sexism or just provocation based on the first feature they can tell about your identity. (like when streetthugs try to provocate based on physical appearance.)

Edited by Khanarac

Of course sexism is not just a problem of the dayz community. It's a problem concerning the whole society, the gaming community included.

This however does not make it less of an issue, as I see it this makes the problem even more pressing.

Also I do not think women beeing a minority in this community, as well as this beeing a post apocalyptic game somehow justify or alleviate sexism.

By simply proclaming that sexism in video games is normal and can not be dealt with you actually create an atmosphere where sexism can thrive instead of slowly receding and then dying in a corner.

In our role as members of the gaming community we can however contribute to ending sexism by pointing out the problems and making people conscious of the issue. However, by accepting things as normal or given while also downplaying the issue we achive the opposite.

As much as I agree with you, and would like to clarify i'm not advocating it nor consider myself a bigot sexist... this is a game where you kill people for no reason, treating people like dirt is the norm. 

Also, you may have misrepresented my post. My (unfounded) assertion that females in DayZ are a minority has nothing to do with 'I've got the numbers shut up' I was merely pointing out that female gamers are a breath of fresh air for the army of people out there to cause you grief because they should expect an experience different from most others (with male victims or silent victims).  And as far as being a post apocalyptic RPG/FPS styled game then I would again say that yes, they are a target based on their sex.

Not sure if you ever played counterstrike, but as soon as you hear anything close to a female voice on the VOIP just watch every mic on the server light up to ask her asl or criticise something in a nasty flirty way.

Again.  There are so many parts of this game that are so openly hostile that yes, they really define your good friendly experiences with a player.  That said, monitoring abuse in the forums, good and easy and probably required but expecting this behavior to be removed from your gaming experience?  Be realistic.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

I wonder how much of your sexism is imagined and how much is real...Ive seen enough shit like this on the interwebs (esp when you Know about Anita Sarkeesian, #cancelcolbert and similar shit)

Sarkeesian makes some very valid points, based on her own research as well as the scientific works of others.

However her work is mostly concerned with the representation of women in video games in form of character designs and the roles those characters play.

This discussion on the other hand is about how the community treats it's female members.

To get back to point though, if you mistake the point Sarkeesian is making for an imagined one, then I suppose you are making the same mistake here.

Edited by Buffaloe

We all get verbally abused in dayz wether we are male or female, it's part of the game get over it.

• Like 1

We all get verbally abused in dayz wether we are male or female, it's part of the game get over it.

Why do you say "get over it". People complain all the time about the overt racism and sexism in games like CoD so why should DayZ be any different? If people don't like how they are being treated in-game then they have a right to speak their mind.

Sexism and racism are NOT components of DayZ gameplay.

• Like 1

Let me put it this way just because you give old stuff fancy names you can pick for the same old shit, kind of a supermarket where you can buy thousands of different products that could be very well coverd by 2 or 3, it doesn't mean that you need to talk about it all fucking day long. Especially when the products are offered anyway, you like it or not boi.

..//..

I think there definitively is a problem with sexism in the community. When this starts to harm the playing experience of the ever growing group of female gamers to the point some don't feel welcome in the community I do think it becomes an issue.

Yes there is a real issue obviously

The difficult (problematic) question is - what to do about it ?

Lets hope that more and more female players join this game (and other games)

And that they play however they like - which  they will.

And that bit by bit the sexist and ignorant members of the gaming community just get used to it

My own advice (to myself) is when in doubt in any situation .. employ the Zen

• Like 1

-snip-

While I am not quite sure whether i can make sense of that gibberish, it reeks of the "it has always been this way and will never change no point to argue" phrase.

Which is of course completely invalid. After all just because a negative condition was present in the past and is widely present in present time, this condition is still a problem and therefore in need of change.

If your "argument" was applied broadly there would be no social progress at all. I think you just outed yourself as a major reactionary.

Why do you say "get over it". People complain all the time about the overt racism and sexism in games like CoD so why should DayZ be any different? If people don't like how they are being treated in-game then they have a right to speak their mind.

Sexism and racism are NOT components of DayZ gameplay.

I say get over it because no matter how much 'we' whine about verbal abuse in a video game it isn't gonna stop. It's not like assholes is gonna cease to exist because we make a forum thread of it. And wether you like it or not, it's part of the gameplay as long as people is doing it.... Offcourse it's not ment to be, but as long as direct chat exist it will be.

And what, someone calls me faggot, bitch, n..... or whatever, It's not the end of the world. I just ignore it, get abused and killed, just start over again maybe next time I meet nicer people out there because not everyone are assholes, some are it's just a part of the world we live in. Just be happy that we don't have rape as a game mechanic because that would take this abuse to a even higher level....

While I am not quite sure whether i can make sense of that gibberish, it reeks of the "it has always been this way and will never change no point to argue" phrase.

Which is of course completely invalid. After all just because a negative condition was present in the past and is widely present in present time, this condition is still a problem and therefore in need of change.

If your "argument" was applied broadly there would be no social progress at all. I think you just outed yourself as a major reactionary.

When did I ever say I was against change? What I'm against is people like you who are playing wannabe humanitarians on internet forums while you most likely never actually did anything to positively address problems within society or did something that would have an actual improving impact on it. And what I can guarantee you is that potentially (but unlikely) changing the viewpoint of a few gaming forum users regarding your so called sexism which is nothing more than the hurt feelings of insecure individuals exposed to normal social behavior patterns that have no special relation to a single individual problem within society won't do jackshit for anything except your ego, where you can tell yourself that you "protected" people "weaker" then you. That's what you actually can call sexim.

Edited by TyrDaishi

Hello  :)

I don’t know how to write this. Predominantly, I am worried that most will look at this with prejudice and that the term ‘attention whore’ will be thrown around.

Even though people here try to say "It's dayz, you're just going to get shot anyway" that actually isn't the case all the time. My ex was playing one day in the mod a year ago and was using side chat to try and meet up with people. At least 6 pricks decided to start calling her an "attention whore" for the simple fact she dared to write something in side chat. Even in these forums when girls have posted there's been a bunch of dickheads giving them similar treatment.

We're all gamers, whether you're a boy or a girl shouldn't matter but we still live in an age where some boys feel threatened by girls out doing them in things. A lot of people will KOS regardless (they probably got told to tidy their room before they could play games) and other people are just knobs - whatever.... that's not going to change but when you stop playing and shut down ur PC. You go off and do something different but they still remain knobs ;)

• Like 1