kragz

Mod is still better than the SA

These threads were old two months ago.

Please, assert your disappointment when the f*cking game is finished...

I think every single thread on this forum was old two months ago, considering nothing new has happened in the past two months. The Day Z community is running out of things to talk about. 

• Like 2

Six months into the mod the excitement was still there. Six months into the SA, excitement, not there. Surely the enthusiasm was new and fresh in the beginning. But so what, the goods aren't there. Not my fault. They'll eventually pull through the broken architecture at some distant time I guess. Maybe I will have a peek at it then. An alpha stage in any project isn't supposed to go sour.

The only "problem" with DayZ's development is allowing Early Access. Everyone is an expert, development is never fast enough, and nobody knows as much as half of this entitled community.

You bought a game that gave ample warning about being Early Access and what that means. If you don't like the game in its current state, take a break for a few months or until it's officially released.

Incessant bitching isn't helping development. Play it for what it is, report bugs, and wait patiently for updates.

• Like 4

The only "problem" with DayZ's development is allowing Early Access. Everyone is an expert, development is never fast enough, and nobody knows as much as half of this entitled community.

You bought a game that gave ample warning about being Early Access and what that means. If you don't like the game in its current state, take a break for a few months or until it's officially released.

Incessant bitching isn't helping development. Play it for what it is, report bugs, and wait patiently for updates.

"You bought the game when there was a warning", "Stop playing until its released". I'm willing to bet about 1000 of your 1500 posts consisted of or near the same layout? This is a forum my friend, as you obviously know. We are all here to discuss the game and voice our opinions. Why don't you get off the forums for a few months or until the official release and maybe you won't see as many posts like this. 

• Like 3

The SA not being a finished game is a fair point. However even at the time the mod came out, it was still better than the SA is right now. New inventory aside, I can't think of many improvements over the mod that are actually important for the gameplay and this is where the game fails for me. I feel the devs have put in a lot of work on things that don't really matter that much. At least not for what made DayZ DayZ.

• Like 3

Maybe not, but asking for more the devs to focus on zombie development rather than just add new clothes and gear or cities all the time is merely a suggestion to make this game more fun and challenging than it is bitching and whining. I think that dangerous zombie hordes should be their number 1 priority, and give us the rest later(clothing, new weapons, cities, cars). It would be good for Dayz and would get more people from the mod back into SA and it would stop alot of "bithing and whining" and also would keep people intrested.. And it would be less boring.

Everyone understand that this is alpha, but that doesn't mean it can't be a fun and challenging alpha, wich it's not at the moment, and if the same priorities stay, it would take years before we see the apocalypse and zombie infested towns... I don't need more gear, new cities at the moment I need zombies, better AI for zombies, and a helluva lot more of them...after all Dayz SA is just like Arma3 wasteland at the moment. I bought the alpha to play a zombie apocalypse and not wasteland.

There should have been a warning that said, "there are no zombies at the moment(very few), it's more like a wasteland sandbox, don't buy it yet if your looking for a zombie apocalypse atleast wait 2 years"

• Like 1

"You bought the game when there was a warning", "Stop playing until its released". I'm willing to bet about 1000 of your 1500 posts consisted of or near the same layout? This is a forum my friend, as you obviously know. We are all here to discuss the game and voice our opinions. Why don't you get off the forums for a few months or until the official release and maybe you won't see as many posts like this.

You guys are just bitching. That's not offering constructive feedback.

Generally stating, "The mod is better" when you're comparing it to a game that's essentially a shell of its potential in Early Access is indicative that you're either morons or just bitching because you're bored with the game. Either way, waste of your own time.

If you followed DayZ's progress at all you'd know they recently hired and began training double the amount of staff they had when they began this project. Updates will be larger and more frequent in the months to come if what we've been told is true.

If you're tired of Berezino PVP go back to the mod or play something else for a while. It's not complicated.

Maybe not, but asking for more the devs to focus on zombie development rather than just add new clothes and gear or cities all the time is merely a suggestion to make this game more fun and challenging than it is bitching and whining. I think that dangerous zombie hordes should be their number 1 priority, and give us the rest later(clothing, new weapons, cities, cars). It would be good for Dayz and would get more people from the mod back into SA and it would stop alot of "bithing and whining" and also would keep people intrested.. And it would be less boring.

Everyone understand that this is alpha, but that doesn't mean it can't be a fun and challenging alpha, wich it's not at the moment, and if the same priorities stay, it would take years before we see the apocalypse and zombie infested towns... I don't need more gear, new cities at the moment I need zombies, better AI for zombies, and a helluva lot more of them...after all Dayz SA is just like Arma3 wasteland at the moment. I bought the alpha to play a zombie apocalypse and not wasteland.

There should have been a warning that said, "there are no zombies at the moment(very few), it's more like a wasteland sandbox, don't buy it yet if your looking for a zombie apocalypse atleast wait 2 years"

You're missing the fact that IT'S NOT YET A GAME, it's currently being developed. There is MASSIVE improvement to zombie pathing on the Experimental branch. If you think the only thing they're working on is adding clothes then you should follow Reddit and Twitter more closely.

Hello there

Play nice guys.

Remember that things like "zeds" are not the No. 1 priority although they are high on the list, getting the core functionality is.

The devs "cant just" add X or Y it just doesn't work like that.

The comparison to the mod, although unfair is understandable especially when dealing with "Joe Average" gamer.

Yes, these threads regularly pop up, but who reads the rules?

Its great to have ideas to suggest to the devs but please dont base final gameplay on what we have now. Its all going to change to a degree as we progress.

Rgds

LoK

As someone who works in the videogame industry, I'm sure the OP can provide a clear estimation of how long a game takes to develop, and has an intricate understanding of how the DayZ team operates.

Wait, he can't? Well, shit.

Games don't take a year to build. DayZ isn't a franchise that churns out a sequel every year. The SA uses the Arma 2 engine as a base, just like Goldscr used id Tech as a base. They're making huge modifications to the engine in terms of AI, and while it doesn't look much different visually, you can be pretty sure that under the hood the engine is becoming more distinct from the Arma 2 engine by the day. That is what is taking the time.

I'm sure that when the groundwork for the engine is down, more gameplay features can be worked on and implemented; but for now it's wool coats and hats.

I've not played for a while. I check the forums to see when a big update arrives. When that happens, I'll play the game and provide feedback. I won't whine in the mean time.

Yes I agree, the inventory system is alot better, also alot more buldings to go into, but at the moment it's all about clothes and gear and weapons and KOS, no survival element at all, and the zombies are non existant, rarely see them and when I do they useally spawn out of nowhere 3 meters from my character. So I think BI should throw us a bone soon and really put all the other development aside and get the zombies right first. Then concentrate on gear, diseases aond more cities after that is in place. That would atleast give us a feeling of apocalypse and a challenge and not just a PVP KOS-fest, where everyone is geared up in 15 minutes..Looting is just too easy because there isn't a single zombie around in most towns, and when there is, there useally just are 3-4 of them in bigger cities if your lucky, and you can just fist fight your way out of that situation...You can just run around everywhere without having to fear nothing but other players.

If SA had zombies like the mod, that would keep me occupied atleast for another year and I couldn't care less about a new hat, new jacket, cars or new cities and small stuff like that. It's more like a clothing simulator at the moment than a zombie/survival sim...

See that's your problem, I think, saying "fix zombies now add content later" if you read anything about the development process you'd know CONTENT comes first, for zombies to even fathomably work properly all building structures have to be added first, then they can work on zombie pathing, then they can work on quantity of zombies, then they can tweak their difficulty and their respawning mechanic....

You're missing the fact that IT'S NOT YET A GAME, it's currently being developed. There is MASSIVE improvement to zombie pathing on the Experimental branch. If you think the only thing they're working on is adding clothes then you should follow Reddit and Twitter more closely.

Im not missing any facts, ease up man. But I still think the zombies should have been getting most attention from the beginning instead of dozens of clothing and new cities, that could have been added after the zombies was in order. My opinion and mine alone, just respect that other people have other opinions than you.

Its great to have ideas to suggest to the devs but please dont base final gameplay on what we have now. Its all going to change to a degree as we progress.

Im not, I know it's gonna be the best zombie/survival game whenever it's finished, I just think zombies should be number 1 priority from the start so we could have fun and a challenge beetwen the bugs and KOS'ing..Afterall it's a zombie apocalypse, but without zombies it's just like the wasteland mod. Please just throw us a bone while we wait...And I don't see adding a boonie hat or police caps has anything to do with core gameplay, I would rather say zombies are part of the 'core gameplay' much more than just some new clothes that really doesn't add anything to the 'core gameplay' other than making your char look cool. Or atleast spawn more of the zombies you already got until better zombies are finished. I just want to see and fight more zombies and not just other players..

Edited by Kaboki

Im not missing any facts, ease up man. But I still think the zombies should have been getting most attention from the beginning instead of dozens of clothing and new cities, that could have been added after the zombies was in order. My opinion and mine alone, just respect that other people have other opinions than you.

Oppinions do not necessarily be the truth, however. How are 3D artists that work on buildings / clothes and items of that sort of origin related in any way to AI / Zombie-programmers? They haven't even learned the same job, let alone being able to execute said things.

Im not, I know it's gonna be the best zombie/survival game whenever it's finished, I just think zombies should be number 1 priority from the start so we could have fun and a challenge beetwen the bugs and KOS'ing..Afterall it's a zombie apaocalypse, but without zombies it's just like the wasteland mod. Please just throw us a bone while we wait...And I don't see adding a boonie hat or police caps has anything to do with core gameplay, I would rather say zombies are part of the 'core gameplay' much more than just some new clothes that really doean't add anything to the 'core gameplay'.

Hello there

You have to have the basics in place before you can "add" complex "things" like Zeds.

Hats 'n guns, whilst by no means simple are comparatively "easy" to add to the current iteration of the engine.

Its not a case of the devs holding stuff back.

Patience is key.

Rgds

LoK

My question is, you people who love SA in it's current state over the mod version, break down what it is exactly you do.

I loot up, find some like-minded people, and then I go get in some trouble. There's 12,000 people playing Standalone right now according to steam, and only 115 people playing the mod.

• Like 1

Oppinions do not necessarily be the truth, however. How are 3D artists that work on buildings / clothes and items of that sort of origin related in any way to AI / Zombie-programmers? They haven't even learned the same job, let alone being able to execute said things.

And correct me if.I'm wrong but the zombies programmers aren't about to waste a bunch of time working on something like pathing before all the "pathways" are in place aka buildings etc?

And correct me if.I'm wrong but the zombies programmers aren't about to waste a bunch of time working on something like pathing before all the "pathways" are in place aka buildings etc?

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/196128-the-challenge-and-saga-of-zombie-pathfinding/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/forum/134-development-blog/

Well well, they will eventually get there I guess, Im just a impatient son of a bitch :blush: .

• Like 1

It looks pretty, but that's all I have good to say about it.

• Loading times of less than the entire day and a half it takes to load a DayZ mod server.
  • Completely revamped inventory system that is leagues ahead of Arma 2.
  • A focus on civilian weapons instead of the DMR/M107-fest of the mod.
  • Zombies that even in their buggy alpha state, make the mod zombies look like total garbage.
  • No more stupid side chat. Hooray!
  • No pay to win servers, which is pretty much every mod server now.
  • Melee system that blows the stupid mod reskinned shotgun/terrible hatchet out of the water.
  • Attachment system.
  • Item condition system.
  • So many more enterable buildings.
  • Survivors are customizable through the clothing system. Pretty stupid that everyone has the same hat/vest combo in the mod.
  • New cities, which are all waaaaaaaay more interesting than anything in Arma 2.
  • Performance, even in its unoptimized state is amazing compared to Arma 2. Especially in full servers.
  • Hackers, they exist in the Standalone. But when was the last time one of them nuked an entire server at once? Happens every weekend in the mod.

I think people get angry at you OP not because they're too defensive of the standalone, but because to most it is fairly obvious that with the foundation laid down for the standalone it is going to be unquestionable which will be better. The mod was nice in its time, but retrospectively it is kind of embarrassingly bad. The zombies, the three or four enterable buildings, waiting 10 minutes to load a server, the terribly random feature list for every server, the hackers... oh lord the hackers. It is all really terrible, and really makes the mod unplayable.

• Like 4

Almost all of the points I will bring up in this post are regarding actual DayZ Mod, as they all seem to be related to Epoch, or atleast that would make sense, as most of the issues do not happen in DayZ Mod, let me explain:

Loading times of less than the entire day and a half it takes to load a DayZ mod server.

I load up the mod and into my character just as fast as SA, if not quicker. Thinking about it, it's actually quicker than SA. This obviously doesn't account for Epoop, as it's poorly optimised.

A focus on civilian weapons instead of the DMR/M107-fest of the mod.

The M107 was removed waaaay back and the DMR was nerfed and is fairly rare.

No more stupid side chat. Hooray!

Serverside-setting. Not the mod's fault.

No pay to win servers, which is pretty much every mod server now.

Against the rules of publichive and really depends on the server you're playing on - still doesn't defeat the point of it being against the rules.

But then again - 99% of those servers are Epoch, and as the vehicle-amount and everything else is just far over the top on that anyway, it doesn't really make a difference if you're selling them.

Attachment system.

Have that in the mod as well.

Performance, even in its unoptimized state is amazing compared to Arma 2. Especially in full servers.

Nope. Since 1.8 I have constant 60 FPS, even in towns (and this is with VSync, meaning 60 is max) - I have yet to get that on SA.

Hackers, they exist in the Standalone. But when was the last time one of them nuked an entire server at once? Happens every weekend in the mod.

Nukes? No, not for a long time, as explosions can not be executed clientside anymore. If they try, nothing happens. Just had it happen the other week, but even then it's rare. Needless to mention I didn't die, as he couldn't do shit because of the antihack-measures included in the basecode.

Survivors are customizable through the clothing system. Pretty stupid that everyone has the same hat/vest combo in the mod.

Currently working on that one as well as on Basebuilding. Already have something for the next patch.

New cities, which are all waaaaaaaay more interesting than anything in Arma 2.

We added about 5 new Points of Interest in the last patch as well as adding new ones for the next one.

Melee system that blows the stupid mod reskinned shotgun/terrible hatchet out of the water.

I would take the Mod's mellee any time over the current system of hitting nothing but the ceiling in a house.

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 3

• Loading times of less than the entire day and a half it takes to load a DayZ mod server. For me the loading time is about the same
  • Completely revamped inventory system that is leagues ahead of Arma 2. True
  • A focus on civilian weapons instead of the DMR/M107-fest of the mod. There are civilian weapons in the mod just as there are military weapons in SA
  • Zombies that even in their buggy alpha state, make the mod zombies look like total garbage. I like the Mod zombies 10 times better than the current state of the SA zombies, the SA zombies look slighly visually better, but their AI sucks compared to the mod zombies, and their numbers lack.
  • No more stupid side chat. Hooray!   Yeah, I agree, hope they never let admins use that on servers ever again.
  • No pay to win servers, which is pretty much every mod server now. True, but not all of them
  • Melee system that blows the stupid mod reskinned shotgun/terrible hatchet out of the water. True
  • Attachment system. Agree
  • Item condition system. Agree
  • So many more enterable buildings. Yes, it's nice, I agree
  • Survivors are customizable through the clothing system. Pretty stupid that everyone has the same hat/vest combo in the mod. Yep, we all looked like clones in the mod haha
  • New cities, which are all waaaaaaaay more interesting than anything in Arma 2. True, but whithout zombies they are pretty dull
  • Performance, even in its unoptimized state is amazing compared to Arma 2. Especially in full servers. Can't see the difference
  • Hackers, they exist in the Standalone. But when was the last time one of them nuked an entire server at once? Happens every weekend in the mod. Personally I have never had any issues with hackers either in SA or the Mod

I think people get angry at you OP not because they're too defensive of the standalone, but because to most it is fairly obvious that with the foundation laid down for the standalone it is going to be unquestionable which will be better. The mod was nice in its time, but retrospectively it is kind of embarrassingly bad. The zombies, the three or four enterable buildings, waiting 10 minutes to load a server, the terribly random feature list for every server, the hackers... oh lord the hackers. It is all really terrible, and really makes the mod unplayable.

Edited by Kaboki

Oh man, I wish you could just fly around to peoples houses and staple this to their foreheads. The internet has shown that most everyone thinks they're a game designer and an expert in every field. It is so damn ridiculous.

I really wish people could admit that they know jack about... anything really. Everyone is a damn expert on everything, nobody admits a lack of knowledge or an inability to grasp concepts. Just some honesty would be nice, people can still be all butt hurt for no reason, they just need to admit it is based off nothing but their feeling that the game should be done already and not anything rational or reasonable.

Everyone understand that this is alpha, but that doesn't mean it can't be a fun and challenging alpha, wich it's not at the moment, and if the same priorities stay, it would take years before we see the apocalypse and zombie infested towns... I don't need more gear, new cities at the moment I need zombies, better AI for zombies, and a helluva lot more of them...after all Dayz SA is just like Arma3 wasteland at the moment. I bought the alpha to play a zombie apocalypse and not wasteland.

Read the threads about zombie development please. It is painfully clear that you aren't following the info on this very forum at all, yet reserve your rights to remain ignorant of development and complain about something that is already being adressed, and that is exactly what makes your posts both completely wrong and completely superflous.

Read the threads about zombie development please. It is painfully clear that you aren't following the info on this very forum at all, yet reserve your rights to remain ignorant of development and complain about something that is already being adressed, and that is exactly what makes your posts both completely wrong and completely superflous.

I have read all the devblogs, changelogs and news there is since even before the alpha was released....Still think BI should had put more resources into this game from the very beginning that could speed up the progress. They are doing it now though(hired 50 more people), so maybe we can see a little faster development from now on. But as I said a few posts above, Im just an impatient son of a bitch....I guess the game is gonna be finished someday and it will be awsome, but it just takes sooooo loooooong:p. Usually putting more money into a project speeds up development time,,,,something Bohemia should have done from the beginning(and that's a fact!).

And it's not more superflous than you bitching at me just for having a different opinion wether Im right or not....

Edited by Kaboki

•  I like the Mod zombies 10 times better than the current state of the SA zombies, the SA zombies look slighly visually better, but their AI sucks compared to the mod zombies, and their numbers lack.

I appreciate your response, and this is the only part I take issue with. Standalone zombies just seems so much more smooth than the mod zombies. Sure, in the mod if you're running outside the zombies might be more of a challenge, jittery buggy monkey running on all fours at Kenyan top speed while they zip back and forth in random paths, it can be tough to land a shot on 'em in that state. But then you can just duck inside any building and they form a conga line so you can head shot all of them at your leisure.

Also, the biggest thing that I didn't bring up about the zombies is their server side spawning. They exist even when players aren't within so many meters, which is one of the biggest problems with the mod. You can find a vehicle, drive around until you see some zombies spawned somewhere and you'll instantly know that there is another player around.

On that note, loot is the same situation. Log in on the mod, notice that there is loot already spawn in the building you logged in at, and you instantly know what there is another player around.

And these things are examples of things that can't be fixed in the mod:

• Zombies that walk indoors, rendering them harmless little kittens.
  • Zombies that only spawn when players are near by but not in a moving vehicle.
  • Loot that only spawns when players are near by, but not recently logged in or in a moving vehicle.

They're all fairly game breaking on top of that, in the case of zombies they often make them more help than hindrance for survivors which is totally against the intention of the game in general. I can't tell you how many times I've ran up to a town, pulled out some binoculars and spotted a few zombies that wouldn't be spawned if there wasn't a player around and used them as my own personal hunting dogs.

The standalone has problems sure, but it is in early alpha and the devs can make changes at engine level. We can assume that many of them will be fixed by release.

The mod has a lot of problems too, and many of them really won't ever be fixed just because of its nature as a mod. That isn't saying anything bad about the mod developer, Razer does his best I'm sure, but there is only so much he can do.