Sign in to follow this  
leefriendfield

Is DayZ being developed right in your opinon?

Is DayZ being developed right in your opinion  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is DayZ being developed right in your opinion

• Yes
    • No, Please Elaborate

DayZ being an alpha game has much toi learn from the community from how its core mechanics should be built and adjusted to really driving the specific type of game DayZ will become. I am curious to see if you feel that DayZ is being developed right in your opinion.

For me I feel that DayZ is tettering along the line of being the game I don't want compared to a game I do. I have great fun in it, but it all comes down to player interactions. I feel as if though the community is more deadset on guns and gun play (It is important to focus on) I feel as if zombies are left to the wayside in the priority list when they should be number one or two at least next to fixing wall glitchers. I feel like it's being developed how I would like it to be, but the community feels as if they want this game based mostly on guns and clothing rather than big problems like zombies.

Edited by LeeFriendField
  • Like 2

Firstly lets understand these two key points:

1. Dayz is alpha, alpha stage of development is literally content addition, with little bug fixes or ones for gamebreakers/crashers, beta is bug fixing, polishing and optimization. As an example imagine a suitcase, in alpha the suitcase is loaded with all the cllothes, ipods, books and whatever else you want to add but its all messy and tossed into the suitcase, then when it comes to beta, the devs look at how they can repack it neatly an efficiently.

2. Not everyone works on guns and clothes, currently the 3d modellers, technical artists, animators etc work on that whilst the programmers and things work on AI pathfinding and bugs

ending note:

Firstly rocket tweeted this morning that a programmer had found a fix for the wall glitching, secondly they hired a whole studio to fix AI Pathfinding

this is early access alpha, nothing is final.

• Like 8

I wish Alpha meant:

Have the core of the game done, and done well, Knowing exactly how you want your game mechanics to work and having them placed out early on.

I wish it meant that content was missing, the Map wasn't so big, lots of missing items, products, weapons, vehicles, clothes, skins, etc.

What I mean is I would be ok with Dayz if it had 1 pistol, 1 rifle, 1 can of food, 1 clothing, 1 vehicle, 1 backpack if everything else was already working as intended with some minor bugs.

I know game development doesn't necessarily work like this but currently this Alpha game trend is getting out of hand on Steam, Why should Developers bother to Produce complete or at least Good Solid Foundation Base of a game when they know they can Sell a Sloppy Alpha version of the game and cash in on it early with no responsibility to finish it fully.

It also removes the need of really pushing your game over the boundaries so that when hits the market it hits hard becoming a revolutionary game. DayZ has already made quite a sum of money so even if they just push out the basics and call this game done, it’s a win.

Edited by blazed
  • Like 2

I wish Alpha meant:

Have the core of the game done, and done well, Knowing exactly how you want your game mechanics to work and having them placed out early on.

I wish it meant that content was missing, the Map wasn't so big, lots of missing items, products, weapons, vehicles, clothes, skins, etc.

What I mean is I would be ok with Dayz if it had 1 pistol, 1 rifle, 1 can of food, 1 clothing, 1 vehicle, 1 backpack if everything else was already working as intended with some minor bugs.

I know game developement doesn't necessarily work like this but currently this Alpha game trend is getting out of hand on Steam, Why should Developers bother to Produce complete or at least Good Solid Foundation Base of a game when they know they can Sell a Sloppy Alpha version of the game and cash in on it early with no responsiblity to finish it fully.

It also removes the need of really pushing your game over the boundaries so that when hits the market it hits hard being a revolutionary game, DayZ has already made quite a sum of money so even if they just push out the basics and call this game done, it will be a win-win sitaution, even if the game turned out just average.

I wish Alpha meant:

I know game development doesn't necessarily work like this but currently this Alpha game trend is getting out of hand on Steam, Why should Developers bother to Produce complete or at least Good Solid Foundation Base of a game when they know they can Sell a Sloppy Alpha version of the game and cash in on it early with no responsibility to finish it fully.

It also removes the need of really pushing your game over the boundaries so that when hits the market it hits hard becoming a revolutionary game. DayZ has already made quite a sum of money so even if they just push out the basics and call this game done, it’s a win.

Its not even a game yet, its a development build released on steam so the community can see the progression and test for bugs.

• Like 3

Well most of the community aren't focused on gunplay, but a better variety of guns, which would help immersion, but that's a different conversation. As long as they have different teams working on different parts of the game, I see no problem with one team working on designing new clothing, as long as another team are fixing people hiding in walls. As DropBearChick said, it's alpha and nothing is final, and we are participating in the development and giving feedback/suggestions.

Fair enough but it's a little like Pay me now and Receive product later.

They used to be a time when companies had to pay a lot of game testers to do this sort of jobs.

They used to be (and is still the case) time where alphas and beta's were free.

Now H1Z1 has jump on the bandwagon too and even push it further, $20 just for alpha and game will be actually F2P. (why does this seem like such a dirty money-grab for me?)

Next we are going to Pay for Alpha entry, Beta Entry, and Release entry.

More will come, as the evidence of the Alpha games is on the rise!

Sure one can avoid dodging the alpha scene but it ruins the game alltogether, imagine the amount of content related to DayZ, spoilers, and experienced players by the time game hits retail? It won't even come across like a new game but an old one that's technically been out for a while...

Edited by blazed
  • Like 1

Next we are going to Pay for Alpha entry, Beta Entry, and Release entry.

Once you bought alpha the beta and full game is free, but if you dont buy alpha the price will rise on beta and full game

Once you bought alpha the beta and full game is free, but if you dont buy alpha the price will rise on beta and full game

I am aware I have purchased the product fully now, as I said its a bit like pay me now and I will give you the FULL product later.

As for the price rising... I seriously doubt it, its a scheme. I think 30$ is the price bcuz A) it's alpha so its kinda sucky right now and B ) it's not a totally new game, it was already out there in ARMA 2.

Heres why I don't believe it. Do you know the game SMITE? I bought the Hero Pack that unlocks all heros for about £20

During Purchase it Said LIMITED TIME OFFER, Unlock all champions for £20, Will end in after beta forever. Then some developers and mods and forum posters said if it does come back it will be much more retail price, and that it was an absolute steal. Well game has been out for months and the sale is still up and at same price. Surprise!

I think most people will have already had bougth DayZ by then, and I really cant see this going for $60 or something after being on $30 for so long, I calling it OUT now and I will refer to this post in the future!!!

I have had the pleasure working as 3D artist, I might have had bad luck but my CEO's and managers all cared out pumping out shit to get the money ASAP. Not saying every company is like this, but the ones i've worked for at least.

Edited by blazed

Well I think they released it too early and they allow too many public hosts. Can't really say anything else at this point. I just hope PvE and survival is the focus after core stuff is enough stable.

My answer is no.

From what I can gather and this is indeed preliminary dayz is moving away from its roots and what made the mod popular.

The mod was popular due to its emphasis on realism and its ability to merge arma 2s mil sim aspects with survival and perma death.

Stand alone has thrown that into the trash bin and instead focuses on being accessible and easy to pick up and play.

Every aspect of stand alone shows this. The movement,inventory, and ballistics systems all follow the same casual mentality.

• Like 1

I am aware I have purchased the product fully now, as I said its a bit like pay me now and I will give you the FULL product later.

As for the price rising... I seriously doubt it, its a scheme. I think 30$ is the price bcuz A) it's alpha so its kinda sucky right now and B ) it's not a totally new game, it was already out there in ARMA 2.

Heres why I don't believe it. Do you know the game SMITE? I bought the Hero Pack that unlocks all heros for about £20

During Purchase it Said LIMITED TIME OFFER, Unlock all champions for £20, Will end in after beta forever. Then some developers and mods and forum posters said if it does come back it will be much more retail price, and that it was an absolute steal. Well game has been out for months and the sale is still up and at same price. Surprise!

I think most people will have already had bougth DayZ by then, and I really cant see this going for $60 or something after being on $30 for so long, I calling it OUT now and I will refer to this post in the future!!!

I have had the pleasure working as 3D artist, I might have had bad luck but my CEO's and managers all cared out pumping out shit to get the money ASAP. Not saying every company is like this, but the ones i've worked for at least.

Do you know that DayZ is made by a company called Bohemia Interactive Studios? DId you know that they made a game called Arma 3? Did you know that they allowed early alpha access, and beta access at a discount over the final release, and when the final release came out it was in fact more expensive? So those that purchased the early access version were not scammed or lied to in any way, and this was recently from the same company. 

Why do people not think, and I mean you know... really think to the point of research and checking facts, prior to placing their cranium within the safe confines of their lower intestine? And I don't mean you Blazed.. Im speaking broadly and not singling you out. I get it, simple issue of not knowing on your part Im sure. But I mean, this forum has a high rate of posts before thought going on. How is it so damn rampant? Its the internets - it's never been easier to check the facts and people know how to link "please look that up for me with google" better than they actually know how to use google themselves.

• Like 6

Do you know that DayZ is made by a company called Bohemia Interactive Studios? DId you know that they made a game called Arma 3? Did you know that they allowed early alpha access, and beta access at a discount over the final release, and when the final release came out it was in fact more expensive? So those that purchased the early access version were not scammed or lied to in any way, and this was recently from the same company. 

Why do people not think, and I mean you know... really think to the point of research and checking facts, prior to placing their cranium within the safe confines of their lower intestine? And I don't mean you Blazed.. Im speaking broadly and not singling you out. I get it, simple issue of not knowing on your part Im sure. But I mean, this forum has a high rate of posts before thought going on. How is it so damn rampant? Its the internets - it's never been easier to check the facts and people know how to link "please look that up for me with google" better than they actually know how to use google themselves.

Hi Irish, I am aware that it's by BIS and that they made Arma 3, Didn't really care much for Arma3 so don't know about their early Alpha stage, please feel free to link me information about How much Alpha was and how much retail is now.

G2A has been selling arma III for $40 global key since time now, even cheaper on similar websites. The cost of a game to me is where ever I can buy an official version of the game at the lowest price, not what steam says.

Currently you can't find cheaper version of DayZ unless of course people are still selling stolen $5 keys?

I'm sure people will be able to get DayZ on release for similar prices at around the $30 mark. But hey man neither of us can prove it right now as it's something that will be decided in the future so we are both clearly talking a lot of BS as anything can happen by that time.

I bet Key selling websites will already have 1000's of keys at the $30 price, and will undercut Steam prices if prices go above normal.

Also Hi-Rez Studios is a pretty big and reputable company too but that didn't stop them from lying or changing their minds about their God pack sales...

Edited by blazed

DayZ being an alpha game has much toi learn from the community from how its core mechanics should be built and adjusted to really driving the specific type of game DayZ will become.

That implies that the major part of the community knows what they want

my experience says otherwise

the majority of people playing dayZ Standalone is people hearing from how "awesome" the mod was and expecting something like other triple-A developer games, which i mostly identify as feces in dvd-shape

also, a major part of the community has no idea how much time test-driven development, or even software development can take if you are working with a larger team and with quality ensurance, together with an art department and some consumer analysts who all three think different things

• Like 1

They used to be a time when companies had to pay a lot of game testers to do this sort of jobs.

They used to be (and is still the case) time where alphas and beta's were free.

You can only blame one entity for this, us, the players.

If people where to actually do some recearch before buying a game and not just buying every single early acces game, when ever its released, it would be different.

But the fact that we are so impatient and so willing to part with our money, is what has made this "trend" so popular.

Only we can change it, but it would require people to actually stop buying games that arent done, which isnt gonna happen anytime soon tbh.

• Like 2

Hi Irish, I am aware that it's by BIS and that they made Arma 3, Didn't really care much for Arma3 so don't know about their early Alpha stage, please feel free to link me information about How much Alpha was and how much retail is now.

G2A has been selling arma III for $40 global key since time now, even cheaper on similar websites. The cost of a game to me is where ever I can buy an official version of the game at the lowest price, not what steam says.

Currently you can't find cheaper version of DayZ unless of course people are still selling stolen $5 keys?

I'm sure people will be able to get DayZ on release for similar prices at around the $30 mark. But hey man neither of us can prove it right now as it's something that will be decided in the future so we are both clearly talking a lot of BS as anything can happen by that time.

I bet Key selling websites will already have 1000's of keys at the $30 price, and will undercut Steam prices if prices go above normal.

Also Hi-Rez Studios is a pretty big and reputable company too but that didn't stop them from lying or changing their minds about their God pack sales...

So, bath salts or pcp?  :huh:

• Like 2

You do know that it's impossible to steal the keys to DayZ, right? We do not have access to them like we did with Arma 2. *sigh* I am not even going to continue.  <_<

• Like 1

Exactly what I expected from a game of this magnitude in an Alpha state.

Patience, Understanding and watching development closely is key here. If people can't do any of these, then they need put DayZ down and come back when it's fully released.

A lot of people can't do any of the above and seem to cause storms in teacups all because they're inept to actually play and help develop an Alpha.

Yes it is being developed right.

And even if it wasn't then I wouldn't be able to do it better.

Hi!

• Like 12

Is that magenta carpet? lol

Fabulous, isn't it?

• Like 6

Fabulous, isn't it?

At least if any blood gets on it or cranberry juice no one will hardly notice it. XD

zombie pathfinding using procedural < navmesh > is being implemented right now, I understand. This is a major change, a different way of doing things, it is MAJOR stuff.

I guess this counts as "work on the zombies" right?

anyone who wants to can esily look up "navmesh" on the web, and find simple intros and explanations, videos, or more detailed technical info.. if they feel like finding out what it's about. Have fun.

xx

Edited by pilgrim

Fabulous, isn't it?

Darn you, that's what exactly what I would have responded.

Please, everyone remember that you have been warned about the status of the game and unlike many other games DayZ is actually being extremely open about the status it is in and warns people not to buy the game if you don't want to support development. Other games do not do this and just because they're doing things wrong in their developmentcycles, this is not a reason to vent this frustration in our forums. Because DayZ has told you what it is and will get more expensive upon release / beta stage.

You're buying yourself into the Alpha stage willingly and knowing what state it's in. You all need to read the announcements on the sale page. Just because we're living in times where everyone can and does buy games in mere seconds without looking at the cover of the game anymore, just because it's available on Steam - this all doesn't mean that you're allowed to jump on these forums complaining, just because you have not read the disclaimers.

Just imagine we all would still be buying our games in our local games shop and DayZ would be in a huge red package saying ALPHA! all over it. You would be paying more attention to that as you would on a Steam sales page. This is not the Developers fault - it's your fault.

The money BIS is making with DayZ is being spent on DayZ and you all knew what you would let yourselves in to, but you chose to ignore it and now you feel like you've been cheated - simply because you chose not to read.

This inability to read important things might smack in the face one day, because you forgot to cancel your phonecontract or because you bought yourself something big and costy in hardware, without reading up on it prior to buying it, and will realise you have spent hundreds of € without being able to use it. Just make those experiences first before jumping on here demanding all of the development for DayZ when you knew what you were buying. DayZ is only 23€. Find other games to play if you can't cope with the bugs. It's not like DayZ is the only thing out there on Steam.

/ModeratorHat on

• Like 4

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS ALPHA ! IT ISNT FINISHED OR WONT BE FINISHED EVER. I STATED THIS IN CAPS AND IM RE-WRITING TO CONFIRM AND EXPRESS THAT. WE HAVE NO LIABILITY TO WORKING TOO SLOW AND NOT PRODUCING A GAME WORTHY OF SELLING OVER A MOD WHICH WAS FREE WE NEEDED THE CASH IN!

IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND THIS AND PAID FOR OUR GAME BASED ON THE BRILLIANT FRESH MOD @ THE TIME, WHICH SA IS NOT ANY OF THAT, WELL SORRY. IT WAS TOLD TO YOU VIA CAPS. ALL OTHER WORDING WILL BE IGNORED . CAPS OVER RULES EVERYTHING SINCE THE BIBLE. IT OVER RULES AND EXCUSES ANYTHING POINTED OUT THATS CORRECT ANYTHING THATS WRONG .PLEASE TAKE OUR EXCUSES AT BEING SLOW NOT PRODUCING THE GAME UPTO STANDARD HOWEVER YOU WANT AS IT DOESNT MATTER CAPS CONFIRMED.

YOURS MR RED WRITING SA SAVIOUR.

• Like 2