FrostDMG

Please, say NO to helicopters.

My main gripe with helicopters is simple - whoever has one, controls the map.

We shot them down all the time and only used them for Medi-vac and reinsertion purposes.. A heli was useless other than a bit of fun, and another tool to ferry people to and from battle. It did not give you control of the map.. I mean if the map is empty, sure you can fly around and search out camps.. but if there were people on the map, you died while landing or were shot down while flying over high pvp areas. Unless you were a REALLY good pilot. At least on the servers I played on thats how it was. 

Give us helis.. I dont know what I would do if I went forever without hearing the rotor wash echoing over the hills, and the fear it would instill if you were inadequately armed and saw it was an armed Huey or Blackhawk heading your way.. :)

• Like 1

We shot them down all the time and only used them for Medi-vac and reinsertion purposes.. A heli was useless other than a bit of fun, and another tool to ferry people to and from battle. It did not give you control of the map.. I mean if the map is empty, sure you can fly around and search out camps.. but if there were people on the map, you died while landing or were shot down while flying over high pvp areas. Unless you were a REALLY good pilot. At least on the servers I played on thats how it was. 

Give us helis.. I dont know what I would do if I went forever without hearing the rotor wash echoing over the hills, and the fear it would instill if you were inadequately armed and saw it was an armed Huey or Blackhawk heading your way.. :)

K.. Picture this.. all heli's stashed, all offroads under control.. your only options for finding the camps are on foot or in a car that does 4kph offroad.

The owner(s) of the heli(s) fly around during low-pop time periods and smash camps while only a handful of people are online... so no matter what you did while there were 40+ people online, when you log in the next day all of your shit is destroyed.

Aside from that, people do not usually hide their camps/vehicles in high pvp areas or high pop areas, which means heli's do not need to fly over/near those areas in order to find your camps/vehicles and destroy them, so  your argument is more or less invalid.

• Like 1

K.. Picture this.. all heli's stashed, all offroads under control.. your only options for finding the camps are on foot or in a car that does 4kph offroad.

The owner(s) of the heli(s) fly around during low-pop time periods and smash camps while only a handful of people are online... so no matter what you did while there were 40+ people online, when you log in the next day all of your shit is destroyed.

Aside from that, people do not usually hide their camps/vehicles in high pvp areas or high pop areas, which means heli's do not need to fly over/near those areas in order to find your camps/vehicles and destroy them, so  your argument is more or less invalid.

Who saids camps are gonna work same way it did back in the mod. We have no reason to say no to helis just because they can find camps with it when we dont know how camps are going to be. And even if they were equal to the mod, finding them with helis wasn't that easy, the big problem regarding camps were the hackers.

Uhhh, as long as its not like the current state of the mod i.e. a heli on every street corner it'll be fine.

From the sound of it, repairing any vehicle is going to be more difficult than in the mod and the helis will be rare.

Oh, and I didn't realize COD had vehicles of any sort.

If you keep getting shot down... You must really suck dude. 

With my squad we would have a couple of players and when I got bored and nobody else was online, I would fly low over NEAF, NWAF, Berezino and the coast.

Let me tell you - most people don't even bother shooting at the heli because you have a better chance of winning the lottery than taking one down while it's moving at full speed - and you only give your position away!

Also, if you had a heli and were looking for camps this is how it goes down:

You fly around the whole map, taking mental pictures where the camps are. Then after you scout a portion or whole map, you go back to your base, take a buddy and two squadbikes and voila. You now raided the entire map, didn't risk your heli and destroyed other's work just because you were in the sky.

Unless tress are fixed so that you can no longer see right through the forest (because it doesn't render fully) I am STRONGLY against any air vehicles, but especially against helicopters.

The small Gyro heli is cute, keep that. It's a deathtrap if anything.

I agree with the OP.. No helis. They do exactly what he said: Allow 1 group of players to dominate the map. I know because my group has been that group on several occasions. We get a heli and within 24 hours every tent, vehicle, and chopper is either in our possession or destroyed.. And what happens when a "fresh" group of players spends hours and hours to collect loot, repair vehicles, and stash stuff in tents, just to have it all destroyed within a few hours? They quit playing on that server.

And, as he said.. 1 heli hovering off in the distance over NWAF... Someone from their group dies, they fly to the coast, pick them up, and drop them back into action fully geared (or allow them to loot their body) within 5 minutes.

Heli's are not good for the game.

This happend so many times. We would actually go out and find CLAN SERVERS just so that we could have fun looking for a hidden camp.

Trekking at the edge of the map, on foot chatting with your buddies looking for camps. HELL YEA 

I've been flying for ages in the mod. And I've never once been shotdown, I've been killed when on the ground once or twice though.

Flying while under fire and how you behave is all that matters, if you know how to control your helicopter, it is indeed one hell of a benefit. Especially since if you fly somewhat high in the air trees stop to function and you can see every little tent and vehicle. But that makes you a target for people with long range weaponry (AS50s from the mod a long time ago for example).

Anyway, I say yes to helis. Because some of my most hilarious and dangerous encounters have been with a heli. And it's so fantasticly fun to fly one.

I never understood why they were in the game in the first place.

From a realistic point of view I cannot imagine how you would keep a helicopter operational in a post apocalyptic wasteland.

I've always been for small civilian helicopters, but nothing more, especially not with any guns or armor.

• Like 1

People with choppers SHOULD control the map... That's what they are actually used for.  I'm going to assume we are going to have personalized anti-air counter measures and .50 cal rifles (which do a lot more than tickle) so there WILL be counters to helis.

repair, handle, maintain chopper =  endgame

and you could add several similar ideas and define them as endgame

Edited by joe_mcentire

People with choppers SHOULD control the map... That's what they are actually used for. I'm going to assume we are going to have personalized anti-air counter measures and .50 cal rifles (which do a lot more than tickle) so there WILL be counters to helis.

.50 cals won't be in the game and haven't been in for a while. Destroying the hard work of otheres just by having a helicopter is not on. I'm guilty of this and gotta say it ruins the game for the squad with and without a heli.

Helicopters should be in the game. They are amazing transport and something to work for and towards as an end game goal. They themselves don't effect the game all to much how they are used by players are reflected by peoples opinions here. The people who are opposed to them generally had bad experiences with them. Others enjoyed the utility of such a vehicle and tool. It can be used for all kinds of things not just PVP. When they are used for PVP they were great fun and challenging to avoid and engage with. I just remember finally having a use for my light machine gun when I heard the distant sound of helicopter blades. Finding bandit or player campsites was also a great indirect PVP /PVE aspect they added. I look forward to seeing them return and with new challenges they present in terms of maintenance and piloting. Types of helicopters we probably shouldn't see are fully armed gunship style helos. Civilian helicopters and some perhaps law enforcement ones should be expected. 

Edited by Canned Muffins

i want helicopters more than anything, i love helicopters 

Alright, so this is a direct topic response to FrostDMG's topic. I believe that helicopters must be in Dayz Standalone, but they would be hard to maintain and have more difficult flying controls. The low thunder of a chopper passing overhead is one of the many good excitements to Dayz. Basically, this topic is about discussing what you would like to see implemented for helicopters/ what helicopters should there be?

• Like 1

inB4 people say Ah64Ds and Mi24s....x3 Anyhoot, I would like to see a old News type of Heli. :P

Helicopters in a post-apocalyptic world where the average civilian helicopter consumes a metric fuckton of fuel?

The Sikorsky S-76C++ twin turbine helicopter gets about 1.65 mpg-US (143 L/100 km; 1.98 mpg-imp) at 140 knots (260 km/h; 160 mph) and carries 12 for about 19.8 passenger-miles per gallon (11.9 litres per 100 passenger km).

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_efficiency_in_transportation

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 1

Why?

I don't see a reason to have them in the game, just bring us bikes and civillian cars and thats it

• Like 1

Why?

I don't see a reason to have them in the game, just bring us bikes and civillian cars and thats it

Because they need to be super, super rare. Helis are needed because it would make the game that more fun

Yes please, also can we have

23124.jpg

And

5021d9c0af6e255b67787948ceca1a20.jpg

Can we make it so that all the enemies are on the radar - like helis used to have - totally fair and legit. I would also like my airtank to shoot lasers and nuclear missiles. 

Yes please, also can we have

23124.jpg

And

5021d9c0af6e255b67787948ceca1a20.jpg

Can we make it so that all the enemies are on the radar - like helis used to have - totally fair and legit. I would also like my airtank to shoot lasers and nuclear missiles. 

Dude that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at all. Im talking about regular helis like the Bell 47 and Huey's

Some guys just need to stick with call of duty / battlefield....

• Like 1