SmashT

Do Zombies Dream Of A Good Nights Sleep? (Zombie feedback)

Yeah buty point is you don't need to run.. Just normal pace jog in front of them while they sprint behind you... They catch you up, swing at you and miss again and again

Yeah buty point is you don't need to run.. Just normal pace jog in front of them while they sprint behind you... They catch you up, swing at you and miss again and again

They always rip my pants off (litterarilly ruin them) if I am only jogging away from them. They never miss my butt :/

• Like 1

I ran from Berezino almost all the way to Elektro before I starved to death. Flat out sprinted without stopping. I didn't die of exhaustion from sprinting at full pace for 30 minutes. I died of starvation

There needs to be some sort of exhaustion mechanic implemented at some point. Not saying right now, but some time down the track you shouldn't be able to sprint from one side of Chernarus to the other without literally dropping dead of a heart attack.

However it is sooo fun to gather a hoard of Zeds and trap them inside a barn and then stay and watch when a newspawn comes by and opens the doors :P

Then I usually start playing Benny Hill theme song on a loud volume through voice chat for him to hear while running away!

article-2312766-000C00B600000258-863_634

• Like 1

I ran from Berezino almost all the way to Elektro before I starved to death. Flat out sprinted without stopping. I didn't die of exhaustion from sprinting at full pace for 30 minutes. I died of starvation.

There needs to be some sort of exhaustion mechanic implemented at some point. Not saying right now, but some time down the track you shouldn't be able to sprint from one side of Chernarus to the other without literally dropping dead of a heart attack.

Stamina is coming soon. I reckon Zeds should have better stamina than us.. You should never be able to out run them

Stamina is coming soon. I reckon Zeds should have better stamina than us.. You should never be able to out run them

Nah, I think you should be able to outrun the zeds but with a stamina system in place you might instead end up facing a zombie or two but not having enough energy left to be able to outrun them. I also think that it should be possible to run behind a corner and hide from Zombies who are chasing you. As it is now you must have a certain distance between you and the zombies in order to get rid of them, or they will find you no matter what where you are hiding, just as if they are equiped with an X-ray sight or something.

I think this will add a more dynamic mechanics to how you will be interacting with the zombies under various circumstances. 

I often "sing" the Benny Hill theme while zombies chase myself or my friends.

Wow, and here I was thinking that I was the only one who automatically plays this song in my head each time I get chased by Zombies in DayZ :P

Its my dark secret until now...

Funny the Benny Hill Theme always comes to mind. I used it in an old Dayz video, too!

What creeps me out about the zombies is when they suddenly come from behind and without a whistle. I literally jumped off the chair a couple of times. And I'm not the guy to blush easy, they just always happen to come at me at impossible moments. So far I have the simple strategy of running straight, until I see the zombie react,then go prone and run by and then into full sprint again. It seems to me they have a bit different attention radius', because some of them I can sneak by at 10-15 meters (with their backs turned and with cover near). Others I can't seem not to interest, even from 30 meters away. They will at least come closer when I'm around, sometimes annoying to have to go around, but all part of the game. 

I guess there are three ways to deal with them:

- round them up and lock them in

- shoot them

- evade them

I'm mostly into evading zeds, as I like to have them around as indicators for other players. If there are still zombies around, nobody has been there yet. If I have to deal with just one, I lock him up. I do like shooting them though and do whenever it's safe. I get hit far less now than in the beginning, which shows we already adapted to the new zeds. They are much cooler than the old zeds and the ways they chase you through cities is sometimes amazing. I think somehow I take a lot less damage than a few weeks ago, I must have been hit 40 times or more with this character.

I think in time we will get ourselves into bad situations with zombies, just by taking the wrong turn, making the wrong decision. They already showed WIP anims for the crawling zombie. There used to be a juming animation with the slashing arms (the helicopter ^^), but I haven't seen that in a long time. The zombies just running after us like dogs is a bit dumb. They should be swarming from all directions and harder to evade. There are some villages in the north where I've been in quite some trouble like this. But that's also because the architecture there favored them coming from all sides. If that happens in a city you just run through three buildings and have enough time to lock yourself in somewhere.

They are a thread, but they could be more of a challenge. Either of the three methods will work and have it's advantages/disadvantages. I think once we have stamina it will be really annoying at first, but then is when the slow and concealed approach will still work and the others maybe work slightly less well than now. 

Hicks/Eugen said that once the stamina system is in you and zombies will have stamina and you will be able to outrun zombies, but you should forget returning to that village you came from.

^

Once stamina gets put into play the danger of the infected should ramp up by 10 fold. So grabbing masses of them will be a nightmare to most normal players in any situation.

Hey people.

This is more a question of experience than a discussion about a possible bug with the current Zed AI. In the last few days I've been doing quite alot of PvP in the area of Cherno/Elektro and hence there are a shitload of Zeds around we realized some weird AI behaviour. Whenever someone is triggering a shot within the acoustic reach of a zombie, they start to get nervous and tend to run around. However we experienced that they sometimes ran straight into one of us, even tho that person has not shot a single time yet and was mostly crouching on the ground or not moving at all. Considering that you can pass Zeds in qutie close range with the right movement it made us wonder if this is some x-ray superpower that makes Zeds aim directly for the closest waiting player. Scenario was mostly the following:

Shots within Elektro with all kind of loud and noisy weapons, while we had a few snipers waiting in the outer reach of the city, mostly spotting and not taking part in the actual fight. They mostly checked their closer area and were hiding in ghillies, no spotted Zed in direct reach. But once noise breaks out, they complained about Zeds aiming straight on them and making them change location.

Has anyone else collected possible experience like this? Any input is welcomed.

Please don't implement the stamina system from arma 2 or 3. It was terrible when you are getting shot at but your character will only jog. Even starving and near death, people would use their last bit of strength to get out of certain death. They should make it so that you can run as long as you want too, but the longer you run the more adverse the effects become.

i'll repeat myself.....

im pretty hardcore so i feel like the zeds need to shoot laser beams (pew pew pew) and be able to fly (more of them need to be invisible too), if im living for more than 5 mins - just too easy! I love dying................

Passive Mode = Wandering around slowly

Alerted Mode = Actively looking for players in their environment

Agro Mode = Running at the player they found

Gun shots can put them into Alerted Mode which doesn't mean they are agro'd on the guy firing, but instead taking notice around them. They will start heading in the direction of the gun fire if they are not triggered by something closer, but they can end up noticing someone they wouldn't have noticed in Passive Mode.

At least that is what I seem to have experienced. 

Passive Mode = Wandering around slowly

Alerted Mode = Actively looking for players in their environment

Agro Mode = Running at the player they found

Gun shots can put them into Alerted Mode which doesn't mean they are agro'd on the guy firing, but instead taking notice around them. They will start heading in the direction of the gun fire if they are not triggered by something closer, but they can end up noticing someone they wouldn't have noticed in Passive Mode.

At least that is what I seem to have experienced. 

But attacking someone that is hiding next to a bush with a full ghillie, not moving at all? That's really a bit over the top imho.. Especially if that person is 100m or even more away from the Zed.

Edited by Insoliciously

i'll repeat myself.....

im pretty hardcore so i feel like the zeds need to shoot laser beams (pew pew pew) and be able to fly (more of them need to be invisible too), if im living for more than 5 mins - just too easy! I love dying................

well, even if zombies are more dangerous now, they still are more irritating than REALLY dangerous.

i had that feeling of danger when i come across them in the first hours of 0.55, been killed once by them because i had no more rags, but... that it. now i find myself just lootting faster when they chase me, if they are more than 2, a 10 second run is more than enought to loose them (yes, i'm so hardcore...).

they still hit like little girls, getting smacked 10 times hardly kills you, it might ruin some of your gear and break a bone, but that's it.

with a decent melee weapon (pickaxe, sledgehammer, axes...) you can face then without any fear : if you suck, you'll be hit 4-5 times, bleed a little and maybe mess up your vest, but it's not even a life threat. if you packed some hours on the SA, you'll take them out without any scratch, again, they are not a threat.

i' not complaining, HUGE improvements have been made and i really appreciate it plus they should not be an horrifiying threat right now, there are to much issues with desync, missing animations and such to make them more dangerous. but for 1.0, i expect deadly infected.

But attacking someone that is hiding next to a bush with a full ghillie, not moving at all? That's really a bit over the top imho.. Especially if that person is 100m or even more away from the Zed.

Zombie AI gives not a single F about Ghillie or other camouflage. 

"LoS = Yes" means the zombie can see you. Maybe someday they will code in something that decreases  your visability to zombies based off what you are wearing, but right now a Pink dress isn't any more or less obvious to a zombie than a full ghillie. 

i' not complaining, HUGE improvements have been made and i really appreciate it plus they should not be an horrifiying threat right now, there are to much issues with desync, missing animations and such to make them more dangerous. but for 1.0, i expect deadly infected.

This. I had a character I've been maintaining on busy servers for a few weeks at least (so pristine D:). Got bored and decided to shoot a zombie who was hanging out on the main strip of this little town. I prepped first by opening the door of a house next to me that I would retreat to when the deed was done. Fired, moved into the house closing the door behind me, and bappity-bap-bap I'm being hit by 3 zombones who believe I'm somewhere outside the front of the house. So annoying. I moved back out the door to reset my location but the minute I step into the yard I get the old death screen. I nearly uninstalled...JK...maybe.

I wonder if they will be able to fix this kind of thing, or will we be dealing with it even after release?

Edited by Arm Of Kannon

desync will probably always be a problem, but improvements will sure be made.

this particular 0.55 built did poorly regarding desynch, some earlier patch were better. future builts might be better, some might be worse... for 1.0 i expect little desynch on full 100 players servers, i don't think they can get rid of it.

hello there,

i'd like to know in what state the zombies are compared to the mod version.

i've played dayz extensivly during the early mod phase and i recall an instance after an update where the zombies were a bit buggy so they could spot u a mile away, were relentless in their pursuit and more numerous than swirling flies on a long dead body... and it was AWESOME.

later when the satndalone was announced and released i tried it out and found it had a pretty good foundation, but beeing an alpha the zombie population was horrible to nonexistend, so i quit playing for a while...

now, a year later, i am wondering what has changed in this regard?

- are there more zombies?
- are they dangerous?
- do they have a good AI?
- what about zombies spawning? how had that changed?

regards, red.

There are more, but not in mod numbers.

They are dangerous.  They have several new attacks that have been added, and you cannot circle around them with ease like before, though you can outrun them.

Their AI is improving.  You can sneak past them, and even when running you wont agro them from 200m anymore.  Shooting a gun in a town is like ringing the dinnerbell again.

Not sure about spawning.  I know you can clear a town out and be safe for a time.  They are not insta-replacement-spawning like they did for a time.

They are still a work in progress, but they are considerably better than a year ago.  New animations are coming as well, such as a crawling zombarino.  hoard AI has been shown as well. Looked cool, but rough around the edges.

Edited by klesh
  • Like 3

- are they dangerous?

- surprisingly

- no

- no

- They spawn now and again

- surprisingly

Are we supposed to take you seriously?

• Like 5

hello there,

i'd like to know in what state the zombies are compared to the mod version.

i've played dayz extensivly during the early mod phase and i recall an instance after an update where the zombies were a bit buggy so they could spot u a mile away, were relentless in their pursuit and more numerous than swirling flies on a long dead body... and it was AWESOME.

later when the satndalone was announced and released i tried it out and found it had a pretty good foundation, but beeing an alpha the zombie population was horrible to nonexistend, so i quit playing for a while...

now, a year later, i am wondering what has changed in this regard?

- are they dangerous?

regards, red.

If your hoping for mod like zombies - I would wait till its released, then maybe