DireKit

Logged in, stuff's gone

Steam went down, We loaded DayZ back up after the Steam service returned and logged in. Prior to this We'd spent 40+ hours on a single character who had guns, ammo, food, and all high-end pristine gear. Lo and behold, We log in? All that stuff is gone. We re logged several times, but it did no good. The stuff stayed gone and there was no explanation.

It wouldn't irritate us so much if We had been killed by a player or something, but the fact that We lost 40+ hours of work to an apparent BUG peeves us to no end. This happened to our friend too, although in his case, he teleport bugged off a roof. 

Very very frustrating to lose that much work and game-time for literally no reason.

Did you try multiple different servers also? Just trying to help.. 

• Like 2

Yep. Nothing worked, everything was the same. Brand new character, started from scratch. 

Good question as the first time I accidentally logged into hardcore I thought I had lost my stuff from my 3PP character. If that's not it, we're you carrying a Book of Job or any other books? Just data points and hope its a case of confusion as I know that is infuriating. Been there and done that once myself... Edited by makomachine

It happens.

Lost all my gear the other day, but still logged in up north. Accepted the challenge, now I've got even better gear!

Also, this is one of those times where the "It's Alpha" yammer is actually relevant. Same edict was applied to the mod "Don't get too attached to your stuff".

• Like 3

I wanted to write what is wrong with ur game/character OP, but then, I felt all the shitstorm that would come, so I decided not to.

The stuff stayed gone and there was no explanation.

Happens. It sucks, but it happens. I don't wanna scream "Alpha" now, but ...you know...

It wouldn't irritate us so much if We had been killed by a player or something, but the fact that We lost 40+ hours of work to an apparent BUG peeves us to no end. This happened to our friend too, although in his case, he teleport bugged off a roof. 

Very very frustrating to lose that much work and game-time for literally no reason.

Well...lose stuff to a bug...it's...you know....

And now for real: Gearing up is part of the game, but not the goal and if you consider gearing up "work"...well....you wont have much fun (except you  love work ;)) since your char will die sooner or later.

And as Katana said: Don't get attached to your gear. Never. The only way you can be sure to keep it is to log off and never ever log in again. So...well...play :)

• Like 1

Good question as the first time I accidentally logged into hardcore I thought I had lost my stuff from my 3PP character. If that's not it, we're you carrying a Book of Job or any other books? Just data points and hope its a case of confusion as I know that is infuriating. Been there and done that once myself...

Nah. Being as the books don't seem to serve any purpose, We don't really pick them up or bother them.

It wouldn't irritate us so much if We had been killed by a player or something, but the fact that We lost 40+ hours of work to an apparent BUG peeves us to no end.

As she said, it wouldn't irritate so much if the inevitable death would have happened by zeds or other player KOS. But it happened because of the bug in the game. I know it's an early Alpha, but it didn't make it any less irritating.

• Like 2

As she said, it wouldn't irritate so much if the inevitable death would have happened by zeds or other player KOS. But it happened because of the bug in the game. I know it's an early Alpha, but it didn't make it any less irritating.

Yepyep. Terve, Tomtom. :D

I don't know what takes you 40 hours to have a decent gear when each second house spawns a mosin/sks/blaze. Having full military camo gear and all pristine attachments won't make you a better player. Grab some guns, shoot some stranger wielding an M4, there you go. You got gear in an hour.

• Like 2

Steam went down, We loaded DayZ back up after the Steam service returned and logged in. Prior to this We'd spent 40+ hours on a single character who had guns, ammo, food, and all high-end pristine gear. Lo and behold, We log in? All that stuff is gone. We re logged several times, but it did no good. The stuff stayed gone and there was no explanation.

6d22e0ec7cceb885bef92e4f2359a369.png

No explanation huh?

• Like 2

Did you happen to pick up a "Book of Job" :p

I've ran into countless people who were in the log out animation and just shot them in the head. It is not as uncommon as some may think. 

Perhaps when it logged you out you were near some infected and tbey had a good lunch or another player came by and saw an easy kill

Be careful where you log out.

The 30 second log out character isn't a bad thing- At least this isn't Rust where your body just sits there, vulnerable, until you log back on the server.

This is the story of my life. I wrote a major rant after spending roughly 12 hours across several days running around, foraging, gearing up - only to log in a subsequent day and find everything gone. As a paid customer they should be able to see from the logs what happened and simply "buff" you back up and "make good" on the issue. Oh wait - here comes the hordes of clowns touting "this is alpha, LOLZ @ U!!!". A game company that cares would have logs and see when someone effectively gets the shaft and would simply make good on it. Period. End of discussion.

• Like 3

this has happened to me before. missing pants, backpacks, shirts.

it happens.

... and that is one of the major reasons I keep re-iterating that hiding behind "this is alpha, a game still in development" is a crutch and nothing more. "In development and alpha" means absolutely nothing to a company that knows that, and maintains state/logs - because they can "make good" on paid customer issues and even automate that. It's the apathy and lack of consideration that I've found appalling, a competent developer could detect these type of issues and automate making them right, alpha or not. That's simple fact, customers pay you, you take care of them, you don't simply turn a blind eye and let the "LOLZ @ U" crowd bury them.

• Like 2

... and that is one of the major reasons I keep re-iterating that hiding behind "this is alpha, a game still in development" is a crutch and nothing more. "In development and alpha" means absolutely nothing to a company that knows that, and maintains state/logs - because they can "make good" on paid customer issues and even automate that. It's the apathy and lack of consideration that I've found appalling, a competent developer could detect these type of issues and automate making them right, alpha or not. That's simple fact, customers pay you, you take care of them, you don't simply turn a blind eye and let the "LOLZ @ U" crowd bury them.

WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING.

• Like 1

I heard this happens with a certain bible book or something. Heard it on /r/Dayz

This is the story of my life. I wrote a major rant after spending roughly 12 hours across several days running around, foraging, gearing up - only to log in a subsequent day and find everything gone. As a paid customer they should be able to see from the logs what happened and simply "buff" you back up and "make good" on the issue. Oh wait - here comes the hordes of clowns touting "this is alpha, LOLZ @ U!!!". A game company that cares would have logs and see when someone effectively gets the shaft and would simply make good on it. Period. End of discussion.

Yeah all i can say to you is lolz at u, oh you lost your gear didums do they need to send you a lolipop and kiss your boo boo to make it all better.

Honestly can you prove you werent killed on log out 30 seconds doesnt sound like much but i can fire a few bullets in that time and zeds can easily eat you in that time not to mention most of the lost characters have been from logging into dodgy servers that dont connect to the hive properly guess what if you log into one of those high chance to loose your character and there would be no log because they havent connected to the hive properly...

PS i hope you enjoy your own game development and care enough about your customers to satisfy every cry baby who has a problem with your game while in alpha after you have told them not to buy and make them click a i understand button ( i understand its alpha has bugs may cause interuptions to play etc) everytime you log in.

Brains i really think some people here got paper weights instead..

Edited by SoulFirez

WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING.

Hello troll. Goodbye troll (unless you have anything to offer that is useful).

Yeah all i can say to you is lolz at u, oh you lost your gear didums do they need to send you a lolipop and kiss your boo boo to make it all better.

Honestly can you prove you werent killed on log out 30 seconds doesnt sound like much but i can fire a few bullets in that time and zeds can easily eat you in that time not to mention most of the lost characters have been from logging into dodgy servers that dont connect to the hive properly guess what if you log into one of those high chance to loose your character and there would be no log because they havent connected to the hive properly...

PS i hope you enjoy your own game development and care enough about your customers to satisfy every cry baby who has a problem with your game while in alpha after you have told them not to buy and make them click a i understand button ( i understand its alpha has bugs may cause interuptions to play etc) everytime you log in.

Brains i really think some people here got paper weights instead..

There are logs. The devs can tell these things. Fixing wipes and automating making good can/should be totally possible, I've seen it happen in other paid alphas I've participated in. Do you have anything constructive to offer beyond that? Or are you taking pot shots and second guessing both the original poster and myself?

I'd like to see someone respond who is not in high school and has a handle on concepts related to software design and quality assurance. That's severly lacking these days... we're mobbed by high schoolers and college kids amped up on Monster or Redbull drinks with barely an inkling of what software is and is capable of. What I'm noting and requesting is actually very small and simple in the grand scheme of things - it merely requires someone with a Customer Assurance type rule and/or some software devs adding triggers/events/whatever in place that can detect when paid patrons get manipulated outside of play and automatically re-equip them with an equivalent to what they had previously (or better). Its actually a very simple request and would only serve to motivate users trying to actively participate in this alpha project.