kevsta545

DayZ is dead to me..

Either way, I want this game to succeed, but they really need to stop letting Rocket talk. What he says can be so hard to put into context and always seems to cause a shitstorm.

Yeah, said this also some times...he is a terrible PR guy. FAR to direct, FAR to honest and he uses not really "clear" sentences - as you said, if they get ripped out of context they sound very different and are absolutely not what he said with them...like the flawed concept....or the stepping back...

@Kevsta545: Farewell, don't break your leg and always remember to carry a canopener....

Oh, and there is no definitive time set when he will leave - by the end of 2014 is a rough estimation, as he explained: When DayZ hits Beta

Oh and Dean Hall is NOT leaving the DayZ team permanently. He steps back as lead designer but is willing to work as advisor, mentor whatever from is home in NZ for BI and DayZ.

Oh, and he does this, because (together with other reasons) he thinks that it will be best for the game if a person with a different mindset/leaderstyle leads the development when the game hits the beta

Oh, and about the fundamentally flawed...ah, I don't care anymore. I posted it 10 times what he actually meant. I just copy my post, containing various quotes from dean explaining this one more time:

I'm very critical of the work I do, I believe that's why I can do work that ends up quite successful. I'm very critical not just of the delivery of work I do but the base concepts behind them. I like to share and discuss those critiques because I think that makes me a better designer through the process.

I am saying I do not believe DayZ is the ultimate multiplayer game. I'm rather surprised people think the concept is so amazing, because it's about 20% of what I believe an amazing concept would be. I'm not saying the DayZ concept is flawed in itself - but compared to my ideal of the "ultimate" game it is not.

Please remember: these quotes are tiny selections from a four hour long discussion about DayZ and my future plans. The two things have nothing to do with each other, I want to go home to New Zealand. And in future, I want to do my best to make the ultimate MP game one day.

Just because DayZ was commercially successful does not mean it is the perfect multiplayer game.

We can make DayZ absolutely perfect, seamless, optimized, and running fantastic in every way - and it in my eyes it will not be the ultimate multiplayer game.

Absolutely, 100% I'm proud of what the team and I have achieved. Very proud! But I'm aware that many of the limitations we face at a core level, exist because of my mistakes as a designer at the star

Where did I say I was not happy with what I created?

I find flaws in everything I do. Even the way I travel to work, I critique the way I drive constantly, attempting to minimize risk. For me, to look at a concept and identify it's core faults is as natural as breathing.

Also, I did not write the article. I discussed DayZ with a journalist who was visiting the studio over three days. The interview in question lasted about four hours.

That was one comment made in the middle of a four hour interview :)

What I'm referring to there, is that I see DayZ as having elements of the "ultimate multiplayer experience" but I was discussing with the interviewer all the things that I did not think were perfect about DayZ. We were discussing the ways in which I believe the concept - the core design - that I came up with is flawed. There are things the game cannot do because of the way I designed it. These are important lessons that I take heed of.

However, they don't detract from the game at all, and indeed to change these would dramatically change the game and not necessarily for the better (for example: I could just be completely wrong). The DayZ game should head in the direction it is, but any future game I make should take into account what I feel are flaws in my previous design(s).

With that being said: I think you leave for the wrong reasons ;)

I hear ya OP....I was so close to making a thread like this when I heard the news. But after some reading round, and seeing hes staying for a good while yet im giving it a chance. The state of the game when he does leave will be what decides it for me. I really do think its too early to doom the game, so stay with us!! give em a chance and see what happens.

If not so long and good luck :)

Edited by Karmaterror

HhC38cF.jpg

Don't worry OP, I'm sure you believe that the world revolves around what you think and do, however for the rest of us we just don't care. 

Now run along and write painfully arrogant threads about how you are no longer playing other games.

• Like 5

It amazes me how many people hang off Rockets every word. "Rocket said DayZ is fundamentally flawed, hurr durr, it must be and I'm done with DayZ".

I tend to disagree with Rocket on this one as I struggle to find a better concept for a game than DayZ. I must have sunk near to a thousand hours into the mod/standalone so to me, it's clear the game does something right. Rockets recent comments don't change my view of the game - I just think he meant that he believes he can make much better games, and I look forward to seeing what he comes up with.

Too many drama queens in this community that apparently can't think critically for themselves.

Wow. I mean, really....

Dean has talked about this since early last year, well before the Alpha came out. I don't understand how people who love this game and are Dean fans ever missed it. Why is everyone so shocked? He did a great thing and never hid his intentions from anyone.

What a bunch of drama queens.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/21/interview-dean-hall-dayz-standalone-mountaineering-everest-game/

Unless you are as self-important as me, I really don't think the community needs an official farwell thread from you.

Dayz is dead to me too , Oh wait no i mean i just died in dayz again ... Damn desync axed in the head when the guy who did it was 50 m away on my screen ..

I was watching him thinking what the hell is he doing kinda like i am with the OP now...

I hoped DayZ would be a success, I'll start off with that I guess.

Some would say it is a success, If your counting how many copies it's sold, that is.

But that's not what I look for in a game, especially in games like DayZ that start with a small idea that ends up becoming something big, I look for dedication. So when I heard that at the end of 2014 he will be permanently leaving the DayZ team I was shocked. After going through years of development he won't be able to fully put his finishing touches on the game. I'm sure DayZ will be fun and all and have everything they promised, but I was hoping for rocket to be the man designing the ways to execute challenges, and be the creative man in charge. Which if course he will be for quite some time. But in a way I don't look at DayZ the same anymore, you know something's wrong when the main dev of the game calls his creative vision "fundamentally flawed" I was very upset.

So what's with all this rambling about you may be asking? We'll if any of you noticed or cared, I've been increasingly less active on the forums, as I've slowly begun to lose interest on it all. So this is a farewell to everyone, I may come back in time, but at the current point in time I'm gone from all this, thanks to everyone who made these forums some of the best times I've ever had.

Farewell everyone.

-kevsta545

winkekatze21.gif

Rocket needs to go and  the sooner better, he is in fact THE fundamental flaw in DAYZ. I knew it the moment i saw Motorbike helmets. I mean wtf why be working on shit like that and not giving us the vehicles to use them with!!!!!! No lets make 500 different types of clothing instead and let the game quietly die. DAYZ ALPHA = Boring as batshit.

Yeah to be honest I agree and I think you have a point!!!!

Yes i know i know i know I have heard it all before, its Alpha and so on . I'm, also a patient man and I enjoy waiting and following the game through development. Also seems everything added is to satisfy bandits- force feeding, handcuffing, guns etc. Nothing really encourages co-operation, save for the medical gear. I would have hoped for more innovative ways to CO-OPERATE, not a hundred ways to be a troll to someone.

That gets me annoyed.

Also, how hard is it to add push bicycles? Not motorbikes, simple push bikes? I find it hard to believe it is a very difficult task for the team.

• Like 1

These "I am leaving/quitting threads." are almost as useless and I mean ALMOST as useless as the "KOS needs to stop blah blah" threads.

If your leaving, then leave, you owe it to no one and I mean NO ONE to have to come here and post some reasons as to why your leaving, it's a game, not real life, we as a community on this forum will press on, no need to tell us these things, not trying to be a dick or anything but, no one really cares when people leave, besides DayZ devs/team members and the staff on this forum perhaps.

All these type of threads tell me is that the person posting is looking for attention in the forms of, "Ohh noez don't leave us"....

• Like 2

Some people were not meant to be involved in this process. I take it as an opportunity to learn the game as it's built, but also I think this is going about as smoothly as I would expect an alpha to go. 

BTW did you buy SimCity? :) That game was a finished product that didn't work at all at first and then felt like it should have been alpha even after it DID! 

I hoped DayZ would be a success, I'll start off with that I guess.

Some would say it is a success, If your counting how many copies it's sold, that is.

But that's not what I look for in a game, especially in games like DayZ that start with a small idea that ends up becoming something big, I look for dedication. So when I heard that at the end of 2014 he will be permanently leaving the DayZ team I was shocked. After going through years of development he won't be able to fully put his finishing touches on the game. I'm sure DayZ will be fun and all and have everything they promised, but I was hoping for rocket to be the man designing the ways to execute challenges, and be the creative man in charge. Which if course he will be for quite some time. But in a way I don't look at DayZ the same anymore, you know something's wrong when the main dev of the game calls his creative vision "fundamentally flawed" I was very upset.

So what's with all this rambling about you may be asking? We'll if any of you noticed or cared, I've been increasingly less active on the forums, as I've slowly begun to lose interest on it all. So this is a farewell to everyone, I may come back in time, but at the current point in time I'm gone from all this, thanks to everyone who made these forums some of the best times I've ever had.

Farewell everyone.

-kevsta545

Well, well, well... more loot for me !

• Like 1

(...) thanks to everyone who made these forums some of the best times I've ever had.

Farewell everyone.

-kevsta545

Maybe you should get out more...

• Like 4

minecraft was a flop too...the creator left as well.

what a flop project that was...no one played that game. no further development happened...lol

• Like 1

Hello There

Kevsta545 has been around for some time. I dont mind A goodbye thread from long standing members or by those who have contributed, whether pro or anti DayZ. Its the 14 post players who rage quit and then inform us that irritate.

If youre bored of DAYZ the come join us in WW2 or ZeusA3.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/175769-like-wwii-like-arma23-and-a-free-thing-then-look-no-further/page-4

We all get a bit frustrated by DAYZ now and again, I personally like to play only after major milestone patches and then only for a short time to keep it fresh.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

Hello There

Kevsta545 has been around for some time. I dont mind A goodbye thread from long standing members or by those who have contributed, whether pro or anti DayZ. Its the 14 post players who rage quit and then inform us that irritate.

If youre bored of DAYZ the come join us in WW2 or ZeusA3.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/175769-like-wwii-like-arma23-and-a-free-thing-then-look-no-further/page-4

We all get a bit frustrated by DAYZ now and again, I personally like to play only after major milestone patches and then only for a short time to keep it fresh.

Rgds

LoK

LoK,

With all due respect, there's nothing wrong with saying good bye to some friends. I think what most find insane and stupid is the topic "DayZ is dead to me" And the reason being that he just now discovered dean Hall is leaving. anyone who has been following dayZ since the MOd (like me who hasn't been a member here for very long) knew many moons ago that D.H. was leaving. The article i posted to is proof positive that this guy is making a huge table flipping deal out of nothing new at all.

Here - Dean Hall was asked a question by Evan Lahti of PC Gamer and this is the answer he gave back in JUNE of 2013 when the article wasa published to the public.

"I know it’s hard to predict, but how long do you see yourself working on DayZ?

Hall: I think right now, realistically, the next 12 months. Particularly if a console port came in—or ports, if there were changes to certain consoles. I’d say I’m probably being realistic there, to deal with that."

AND THIS...

"Has Marek [spanel, Bohemia Interactive CEO], for example, given you free rein to just pursue that idea?

Hall: Well, I’m not… I’m only signed with Bohemia for DayZ, so I’d need to come up with something else. I haven’t even thought about who to do it with yet. I’m not sure how to work in the Real Virtuality engine. My ultimate aim is, I want to create my own studio that I can run under my own ethos. I love working with Marek, so I think I’ll always have a close relationship with them, but I think, to make this game, I’d want to find people to do it with who… There’s been a few people I’ve met here who’ve said, “Wow, I’ve always wanted to do this mountaineering game.” I’m trying to assemble people who really want to do that"

SOURCE - http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/21/interview-dean-hall-dayz-standalone-mountaineering-everest-game/

So if that were his initial feeling, he'd only be on for a few more months. The latest news that everyone is freaking about about, Dean says he'll leave at the end of the year or possibly stay on longer if needed. That's great news compared to leaving in June 2014.

so instead of saying in the topic - "I'd like to say good bye to some friends here" And maybe something along the lines of, "i kind of lost faith in dayz with the realization that dean is really going. I have no faith in the idea that dayZ will become the product I dreamed it would, I could be wrong but I've decided to leave/take a break/disappear for a while/etc..." No, there's a rant about how he hoped dayz would be a success (only after a few months in alpha with millions sold) and how the news of Dean leaving was so shocking because dean wasn't dedicated to the task,  And the fact that he doesn't understand when dean said his vision is fundamentally flawed. I mean really? all those reasons are invalidated simply because 1, no one knows how successful dayZ will be because it is not finished yet (despite the fact that it's so far very successful in alpha), Dean Hall leaving is OLD news and was never a secret. if you read that entire article, you'll see he never really vested much in to the idea anyway, it's not exactly what he wants to do, it's jsut a cool idea he came up with and is now getting the ball rolling at Bohemia so he can go off and follow his passion.

Anyone who fooled themselves in to thinking otherwise did just that, fooled themselves, never really followed any news on the project and are complainging about what? Being ignorant? yeah, that's DayZ, dean and BI's fault. 

So as such, choosing this method of communication in the forums, the topic, the reasons and the tone, heh, deserves all the flames and stomping anyone can dish out.

-Sin

Edited by Sinphaltimus

'Dean-genics': Ridding the player base of scrubs and casuals with an announcement that was already made many many times prior.

He is a brilliant man.

• Like 1