rocket

Pending Changelog: Experimental Branch: 0.42.116002

Thought you where done with that, like, end of discussion.

Y don't just open a new thread about the communication dev <-> comunnity in the general board, so we could go back to the maintopic in here.

About the Patchlog/DevStatememts

How about this:

We have one Thread with the Patchlog. The patchlog starts with a version change and the fixes they've made.

Every time they add something, they add it to the bottom , separated by one blank line. Starting from the second post, all statements (twitter/reddit/forum/devblog) relevant to this patchlog are quoted/integrated. This thread should be closed for users. Some active moderators would be necessary

Then there should be a second Thread which has the exact same firstpost as the first one but will let everyone else post in it.

I bet this would solve many communication problems...

Good suggestion. One thread with the info, that is read only for regular members, and one thread where the posts are discussed by the members.

Exactly what I suggested a couple of pages back. ;)

• Like 2

I haven't played it in a while, but yeah there were a couple of memory leaks back in the day. Also discovered another MMO using JAVA some time ago called Salem which was very stable and quite intuitive. Personally I have a big problem with textbook style games these days, can't stand another small reward system to keep the interest. One of the recent major culprits was Thief 4. Indy and or Sandbox games are rising rapidly in popularity due to the repetitive nature of the larger titles (this is what ive noticed personally on steam, but may be completely wrong about this). I have lost interest in the pretty pictures and really miss the oldschool titles like Arcanum, Jagged Alliance 2, Deus Ex 1 etc. The remakes all look pretty but only offer half the gameplay :(. Tom Clancies the Division dev team is also currently focussing on platform independance which surely will comprimise the gameplay, but lets see what happens I geusse...

Agree. To add my own opinion to this, I really don't think games are hardcore enough anymore. They reward, like cheap dog treats to keep an interest. I remember playing a few online games where you really had to work your ass off to get some good stuff, and the experience of the journey itself, and perhaps the people you enjoyed it with, was the most rewarding thing you could get, even if you got item 'whatever' at the end. I've been playing online games for 16 or so years and have seen better concepts in online gaming than most of the ones going around today by a long shot. Perhaps that's why I enjoy this game so much. I really enjoy the wide open landscape and the choices you get to make for yourself and others. Even more, the fact that, just like in reality, you aren't permanent, and you learn from your mistakes. It lays the groundwork for a more open culture, instead of playing in one only defined by obviously intentional, marketed boundaries. You have boundaries in this game, but the scope isn't so narrow. I like this style of game much more because it has the opportunity to let you see some really industrious use of a players time and some great ingenuity from people, too. It's really hard to find that in a style of game like this anymore. It's usually really sliced into heavily monitored bits for obvious financial gain. I don't know about you, but that's really fucking boring to me and not the experience I personally like to get from gaming. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Gekkonidae
  • Like 1

And, I've started a thread so that this can be discussed without adding to the number of pages in the changelog thread.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/180032-forum-suggestion-changelogs-and-patch-info/

Regardless of your opinion on how the information should be shared with the public , if you're trying to touch upon that you should go to entspeaks forum post cuz there are WAY too many pages here. although I agree that the dev tracker is hard to find info , keep in mind it is named DEV tracker , to track the devs work along with progress of patches Even though it WAS originally supposed to track the patch notes and differnces of each version but I'm guessing that was somehow forgotten and eventually turned Into the dev tracker we know today .

I remember it clearly , people were complaining it was too hard to find info on updates, so the dev tracker was made but it's purpose was a little diluted with personal developer work , which is very interesting IMO but others just rather would have a "tracker" dedicated to changes/patches, which is a good idea now considering the amount of people who don't have time to read through the dev's personal work/projects or go on multiple social media sites .

But instead of fighting here lets go on the other thread please cuz I can read through 30 pages on break at work, but not 99 haha .

• Like 1

Are the experimental servers down? None of them are showing up on my end..

Hmmm.. Time to check reddit/Twitter.

Edit: nm.. There they are. :)

Edited by Antykain

Hi all. Why no updates?

NOt quite ready yet it seems.. It's said there was more bugs to squash before the current experimental build is released to stable. Which I'm cool with myself.. Much rather have a stable build, that is 'stable' rather than a experimental build rushed to stable. :)

Hi all. Why no updates?

probably cause it is not even 9am there yet

Who else is signing in on Steam every few hours to see if this is stable yet?

I have a can of beans which I am willing to share with developers if they release the stable version ASAP!

Here it is :beans: , now eat, drink, energize, get healty and give me an update!

• Like 1

Not anytime soon. They haven't fixed the bugs in the experimental branch yet.

Not anytime soon. They haven't fixed the bugs in the experimental branch yet.

Afaik I saw a Redditpost from "Hicks" where he said that they're getting closer to fix them.

Did my reply sound impolite? If so, I'm sorry. I answered your question. Didn't mean to sound snarky.

You don't have to "have twitter" to read tweets online. You don't have to check reddit daily, since the relevant post was linked above as I said. Yes, it would be nice if they posted here too.

I think you're overreacting calling my reply a shitstorm. Although I do apologize if it came of as snarky.

EDIT: Maybe the last part (that wasn't directed at you personally) was the problem. I can see how that was poorly formulated by me.

No harm, no foul.

You've not read what we were talking about then. The issue is that the dev tracker has a lot of irrelevant information that isn't concise.

Incorrect, I know exactly what you are talking about and it does not concern the Topic and its intention.

The problem is that you have completely derailed the Topic with your own conception on how the Devs should communicate or how you wish them to communicate with YOU.

There are one thousand (1000) non registered people viewing the Forums at this time who would like perhaps, when regarding this Topic gather some feedback on the subject which concerns the Pending Changelog: Experimental Branch: 0.42.116002 and not your derailing and Off-Topic comments.

The Devs have chosen to communicate using different outlets including this Forum, as and when they esteem apt, I do not see that this will change in the future and that is fine and wise in my opinion.

Do not continue to post anything that is not relevant to the subject matter.

This applies to other members, not only yourself. 

Stay on Topic.

• Like 4

Just wondering when we are going to get a new stable build the current one is getting BORING we need something new to make the ALPHA more interesting and to keep our interests in the game.  I have left the game once and will probably do it again cause BI cant put anything out and wants to keep working on a FEW bugs.

Has anyone else had the weird animation with swinging the Axe?

In fact I'd love to take a count. Who on this forum has actually developed a game before? Raise your hand........

Programmer on several games/engines from 1989 - 1998, primarily on Amiga, Sega Saturn, Sony Playstation 1.

Even back then, the occasional bug could prove very difficult to track down -- particularly if the bug resided in a low-level subsystem that interacted only probabilistically with the rest of the engine, such as an Interrupt Service Routine which in some circumstance was trashing a register that wasn't properly saved, leading to what could be very intermittent and seemingly random odd behavior or crashes of the game.

Today's engines tend to be coded at a slightly higher level, but are considerably larger and more complex systems of software than the ones we developed.

So it is no surprise at all that there will sometimes be bugs that will take an extended length of time for the DayZ devs to reproduce, investigate, characterize, identify, and fix -- no matter how badly they might have wished to release to stable.

And as Dean recently pointed out, the longer they defer the release to stable, the more painful for their team, who will be dealing with increasingly complex code branching and merging as development of new features continues in parallel with the experimental branch which to some degree becomes stuck in limbo while the remaining game-breaking bugs are solved, before it can finally be pushed to stable.

tl;dr: The DayZ team themselves want to get 0.42 onto stable at least as badly as any of the complainers in these threads.

• Like 6

You can still duplicate weaponry plz fix that in next patch..

Programmer on several games/engines from 1989 - 1998, primarily on Amiga, Sega Saturn, Sony Playstation 1.

Even back then, the occasional bug could prove very difficult to track down -- particularly if the bug resided in a low-level subsystem that interacted only probabilistically with the rest of the engine, such as an Interrupt Service Routine which in some circumstance was trashing a register that wasn't properly saved, leading to what could be very intermittent and seemingly random odd behavior or crashes of the game.

Today's engines tend to be coded at a slightly higher level, but are considerably larger and more complex systems of software than the ones we developed.

So it is no surprise at all that there will sometimes be bugs that will take an extended length of time for the DayZ devs to reproduce, investigate, characterize, identify, and fix -- no matter how badly they might have wished to release to stable.

And as Dean recently pointed out, the longer they defer the release to stable, the more painful for their team, who will be dealing with increasingly complex code branching and merging as development of new features continues in parallel with the experimental branch which to some degree becomes stuck in limbo while the remaining game-breaking bugs are solved, before it can finally be pushed to stable.

tl;dr: The DayZ team themselves want to get 0.42 onto stable at least as badly as any of the complainers in these threads.

Yeah i am also a programmer... they didn't develop the original arma 2 engine either Object Oriented or Multi threading.... Thats the reason of a lot the problems...

Please tell me you understand the reason for this cause i don't

Just wondering when we are going to get a new stable build the current one is getting BORING we need something new to make the ALPHA more interesting and to keep our interests in the game.  I have left the game once and will probably do it again cause BI cant put anything out and wants to keep working on a FEW bugs.

So leave. You're not helping anyone here.

• Like 1

Has anyone else had the weird animation with swinging the Axe?

My only problem with ALL the melee weapons, is that they no longer hit where you aim. You now have to get right up in the face of the zombies (which, mind you, hit from 5m away and always make you bleed with every hit now) and keep swinging until you get lucky and hit them. Or die, whichever comes first.

The old melee mechanic was clunky, and I kinda like the new direction. But there MUST be a way to aim even in melee. Having fights decided by random chance is no fun at all.

My only problem with ALL the melee weapons, is that they no longer hit where you aim. You now have to get right up in the face of the zombies (which, mind you, hit from 5m away and always make you bleed with every hit now) and keep swinging until you get lucky and hit them. Or die, whichever comes first.

The old melee mechanic was clunky, and I kinda like the new direction. But there MUST be a way to aim even in melee. Having fights decided by random chance is no fun at all.

I don't mind the new system but my animation glitches out sometimes and only with the fire axe.

I got really excited after the previous devblog, and the patchnotes looks yummy! Keep up the good work!

Yeah i am also a programmer... they didn't develop the original arma 2 engine either Object Oriented or Multi threading.... Thats the reason of a lot the problems...

Please tell me you understand the reason for this cause i don't

Saving money is my guess.

It's not simple to create a whole new engine without getting into more trouble later on.

I assume they knew what were the biggest problems with the old engine and thought it would be faster/cheaper to fix those problems rather than developing a new engine from scratch or licensing another one and learn to operate on that one.