rocket

Pending Changelog: Experimental Branch: 0.42.116002

They should try to implement a stabbing melee attack, as opposed to a over the head swing.  Not sure if I saw that being mentioned, but it would be better for indoor attacking.

I agree that the current exp build is broken. I was killed today by a player who shot me from point-blank range. I never saw him, and didn't hear the shots. I started bleeding out of nowhere, got to a safe spot and sat down to bandage. He then shot me again and I died. I never saw him, and the only shot I heard was the very last one, that killed me. 

Imagine that... guy trying to get full swings in enclosed spaces and he's having problems... hmmmmmm... doesn't take much of a brain to figure out there's going to be problems... lol

Indeed. There should be an option of how you cut/hack. Like for example pressing forward while attacking creates a vertical stroke, strafing left/right while attacking creates a sideways swing towards the left and right respectively and backing up while attacking creates an uppercut stroke. That way if you're in an enclosed space you can choose to do vertical or uppercut strokes, while outdoors or in larger rooms you have more freedom. You don't even have to turn the axe grip for sidestrokes, since the pike on the fire axe and the "hammer" on the splitting axe can do plenty of damage as well as the edge.

They should try to implement a stabbing melee attack, as opposed to a over the head swing.  Not sure if I saw that being mentioned, but it would be better for indoor attacking.

Indeed. The pitchfork should have stabbing animations instead of whacking the zombies over the head.

Edited by Strawman
  • Like 1

Well i agree that knives and such need a stabbing animation but it would be extremly unrealistic on axes unless its a 100+ hit kill.

--from Rocket's twitter, I'm sure it was posted but if you're bitching

Bitching?

This is exactly the problem most of us have, its from twitter... Dean Halls' twitter, Brian Hicks' twitter, Dayz Dev blog somewhere etc etc.. This whole thing Dean wrote, should be here on the forums, as a stickied read only post in General information. This is where it should be. There could be a daily post here as well from the devs ( let them stop devving 5 minutes earlier every day, and write a short post here on how their day went, and what development there's been...

• Like 4

Well i agree that knives and such need a stabbing animation but it would be extremly unrealistic on axes unless its a 100+ hit kill.

Well with an axe, all you would do is maybe stun or knock the zombie down.  It's enough time to make a run for it to get better ground to be able to over-head swing and kill it.

• Like 2

I know that when the pitchfork was first hinted at, when they were adding it, the dev mentioned stabbing. I think they are considering this, but for the sake of getting into the game for the moment, it has a slash attack. I'm thinking that later they will probably add this, but for now it probably on the isn't of huge priorities. It is in, at least, and it is a viable alternative to axes. Those pitchforks do some pretty mean damage. I've already 'Wolverined' the hell out of some people with one. And it seems to me that it does have a little reach to it. Maybe it is my imagination though,

Edited by Gekkonidae

....there should be a consistent place I can bookmark and check rather than an optimum new media coverage strategy that I need to employ. imo of course.

This whole thing Dean wrote, should be here on the forums, as a stickied read only post in General information. This is where it should be. There could be a daily post here as well from the devs ( let them stop devving 5 minutes earlier every day, and write a short post here on how their day went, and what development there's been...

Twitter/Reddit stuff gets posted on this Forum - called DevTracker, just follow that Board and you'r fine:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/forum/131-devtracker/

Stabbing for screwdriver works fine, but yeh - they need to add a single animation for every "stabbing-meleeweapon". Since the animator is not invloved in netcodes and such stuff, we probably see that soon too for all items.

Edited by Guest

Twitter/Reddit stuff gets posted on this Forum - called DevTracker, just follow that Board and you'r fine:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/forum/131-devtracker/

Again, I dont care there's a Dev tracker, or that they have their personal twitter accounts, reddit and whatnot.. This is the official forum, this is where information SHOULD be. I don't want to have to click to 3 or 4 different pages to read what 3 or 4 different people post. There is a development TEAM, there is an OFFICIAL forum, let that TEAM post what they're doing a few times per week. If thats a post that sums up whats already on the other 3 or 4 pages, fine. Right now, the only thing the forum is being used for, is people asking when the vehicles are being added, asking when the next patch is going to hit stable, and to complain about bugs. ( which should be on the feedback tracker, not here )

Forums are for information, and sharing thoughts on whatever the forum is created for, in this case DayZ. I come here for information, not to be hyperlinked to other pages for information that should be here

• Like 7

Again, I dont care there's a Dev tracker, or that they have their personal twitter accounts, reddit and whatnot.. This is the official forum, this is where information SHOULD be. I don't want to have to click to 3 or 4 different pages to read what 3 or 4 different people post. There is a development TEAM, there is an OFFICIAL forum, let that TEAM post what they're doing a few times per week. If thats a post that sums up whats already on the other 3 or 4 pages, fine. Right now, the only thing the forum is being used for, is people asking when the vehicles are being added, asking when the next patch is going to hit stable, and to complain about bugs. ( which should be on the feedback tracker, not here )

Forums are for information, and sharing thoughts on whatever the forum is created for, in this case DayZ. I come here for information, not to be hyperlinked to other pages for information that should be here

Correct.

CoH2 is the same way for some reason. The devs post on the unofficial forums for that game, not the official ones. Makes no sense

I totaly agree with Angr, to be honest.

They sure do meetings every once in a while, combine the information (what went right, what went wrong, how are things going generaly)... write this down in 3-4 sentences and post as a read only

Why not? Probably because that would mean that 2/3 of the team would just sit there twiddling their thumbs for a month or two, when they could instead work on assets for the game. 

Yeah but it just seems that noone on the team is dealing with those core elements  as more zombies and optimization for better graphics atm.

The Dev Tracker is here, on this forum. ;)

• Like 1

Maximum is only ranting bullshit.

Can someone pls shut him up already? Its really tiresome following this thread with such a person around.

@Fortune_Finder

Do you know how programming works? Or how complex game development is?

Because AFAIK:

It would be a huge mistake to make all of the "core"  features to work/optimize ( whatever that is from your perspectiv ).

Why? Because things will still change drastically when new features are implementend. That means they would have to rework the core then fix/optimize it AGAIN before morving on to the next feature and starting all over again with reprogramming the core fixing it and optimizing and so on and so on. This would only result in less features overall by the end of development.

Building the core for every feature first, combining them to work with the whole system without crashing it completly is what they are doing now.

Once all core-mechanics of features theyd like to have in the final game are ready they'll start to focus und fixing bugs and optimizing them (which is called beta). Doing it this way theyll have more time to implement more features overall.

Btw. I am not sure if I am right but this is how I understand programming/game development from my little knowledge of those things...

lol 2 guys explaining the same thing before me I am such a slowpoke :(

@Aruze

I really hope you are trolling.

As if they didnt think about implementing those already...

I would really love an option to downvote posts....guess i'll have to use reddit more often.

If what you say is true, then I am more calm about the situation. But with minecraft the core was made from the beginning and they just added new features from there, so I still wonder why that doesn't apply here.

You still here? Shoo, go play BF4 or something...

It's been said so many times, which is exactly why I told you to learn to read, before posting again.. Yet, here you are, asking the same questions, which have been asked so many times, and answered so many times..

There's developers, coders, scripters, designers etc etc, all working on different aspects of the game ( cant believe I got tricked into typing this all out again ). Just because designers are faster at creating a hat or a gun, does not mean they should stop working, because the scripters and coders are not as fast with debugging and optimizing ( compared to designers/3d artists )

So now that you are also educated, can you please go away? Please?

Also, telling me I take on more than I can chew? Is that supposed to be a threat, oh great keyboard warrior?

It's wasn't meant as a threat -,- and you aren't adding any new answers either.

Ummm but the dev tracker relevant patch information everyone asks for is drowned out by stuff that's semi irrelevant responses to other people's comments on those social media platforms.

There is not a concise, accurate, recent and relevant posting area on this forum where stuff is being posted by developers only. That, is the problem.

There needs to be a forum/group where it's about the patch that's currently being worked on, why it's being delayed or what the roadblocks are. They don't have to post release dates, unless they know for sure they're posting it on the experimentals.

Theoretically, these changelogs should be write access by the devs and mods ONLY. And whatever they post, that is relevant and current to this particular changelog should be added underneath. That is the right and proper way to give users/players current and relevant information, AT A GLANCE.

Not digging through some devtracker that shows a new comment every time the word dayz is mentioned or someone has a question regarding a gun/vehicle/[insert irrelevant info here].

The real issue is that twitter and reddit have WAY more current info. Information that is only being relayed here, under a relevant thread, by other users. And THAT... while I appreciate of those people thinking of us non-twittereddit people, their links/quotes/comments soon get drowned out by people whining that there's no recent information available (2 postings above their rant).

Edited by sniperdoc
  • Like 8

I come here for information, not to be hyperlinked to other pages for information that should be here

It's not just a hyperlink, the whole content get posted into devtracker (THIS FORUM).

I'm done with your dogmatic, lazy, its all about principles attitude - deal with it the way it get published.

Yeah but it just seems that noone on the team is dealing with those core elements  as more zombies and optimization for better graphics atm.

OMG, you're still here???

You can keep asking the same questions, but differently formulated, and you will still get the same answers...

The fact that you ( or any of us ) dont see any changes to zombies, or whatever, does not mean they're not working on it..

Also, optimization does not, and will not happen until beta. If you want an optimized game, I will repeat what I said in an earlier reply to you, and thats go play BF4, and wait til this game is end of beta, or fully released, because alpha is clearly not for you

It's not just a hyperlink, the whole content get posted into devtracker (THIS FORUM).

I'm done with your dogmatic, lazy, its all about principles attitude - deal with it the way it get published.

Apparantly, its not just me asking for this... "Deal with it" is not satisfying at the moment, so a change needs to be made

• Like 4

What butthurts me so much, u guys really think the devs have an obligation to post stuff like they do on twitter/reddit/whatever - actually we all should be happy about we get such a deep insight into development, coz that's really not usual.

Edited by Guest

To anyone who wishes to keep quoting me on stuff, first of all, I don't care that you disagree with me. Let's agree to disagree.

But, there are a few things I will say here, and will stand by:

- I love the game so far, and can only hope it will get better and better

- I dont care about patches being postponed, as long as its communicated

- Communication from the devs needs to improve - eg. Important information should be on THIS forum, not a quote from someone's twitter account, which is automatically posted in "Devtracker"

- Communication also needs to be easily readable and more consistent, not at the whim of a dev, who think a tweet is enough to keep 1,5 MILLION testers happy

- I seriously am getting annoyed with people who either constantly whine that this or that is not added ( vehicled fx ), or that the game is not yet optimized, etc etc. - IT WILL COME WHEN ITS READY, go play another game and come back when DayZ is done. Bohemia/Dean Hall owes you nothing, just because you paid for an early Alpha, where you were warned before you bought the game, and every time you start the game

• Like 9

What butthurts me so much, u guys really think the devs have an obligation to post stuff like they do on twitter/reddit/whatever - actually we all should be happy about we get such a deep insight into development, coz that's really not usual.

But the fact is, they ARE doing it, but they're not doing it correctly and really just creating these shitstorms about people crying "why is there no information." End of discussion.

And for your information... it's not that we think it's an obligation... it's the right thing to do because it actually creates LESS work in the long run. :)

While I appreciate their use of twitter and reddit, all their relevant and current information EASILY gets drowned out by irrelevant information and that is precisely why I don't use redditwitter.

A simple forum thread, with current dev/mod info only, that users can subscribe to, that when there's an update to the status of the situation, they get an email... can't be any simpler.

Edited by sniperdoc
  • Like 3

No, they dont have an obligation to post anything, just as we don't have an obligation to post at the feedback tracker. But this alpha testing works both ways. If devs post where issues are, and what they're doing to fix it, and what their ETA is for fixes, then I ( for one ) can help out the people posting bugs on feedback tracker with this knowledge.. Its WIN-WIN if they do post what they're working on

• Like 4

Don't get me wrong here, i'm not sayin it's the superduper way how things get published to the community, i appreciate if we could get a weekly report in this forum/devblog (wich get duped into boards).

But there's really no need moaning about the whole day or begging for it every second post, especially not in a fast-paced thread like this one.

But the fact is, they ARE doing it, but they're not doing it correctly and really just creating these shitstorms about people crying "why is there no information." End of discussion.

And for your information... it's not that we think it's an obligation... it's the right thing to do because it actually creates LESS work in the long run. :)

Unfortunately, 90% of the complaining-universality acting like it's an obligation - not pointing at you two guys.

The shirtstorm is really not created by the devs - might be a trigger, yeh. It's more a wrong attitude minority of the community has, guess thats not the right spot to discuss that - devs can't be everybodys darling, but i hope fore "better" times soon.

have a nice

Edited by Guest

No, they dont have an obligation to post anything, just as we don't have an obligation to post at the feedback tracker. But this alpha testing works both ways. If devs post where issues are, and what they're doing to fix it, and what their ETA is for fixes, then I ( for one ) can help out the people posting bugs on feedback tracker with this knowledge.. Its WIN-WIN if they do post what they're working on

I think he's talking about the dev tracker... that's different than the feedback tracker.

The issue with the dev tracker is that it tracks any DayZ related comments that the devs post on reddit or twitter. But that soon fills up so fast with irrelevant information that what most people are asking for needs to be sifted through and that makes it highly inefficient.

I don't care if Hicks just responded about some's question about what an Amphibian S is, and I don't need a subscription email telling me that either...

A single patch related forum with current and relevant information the devs and mods only can post in. Then if someone has issues with something in that patch... they can post it in the changelog thread or in the feedback thread.... but I don't care what anyone else's comments are.

I just want to know:

• What is the current patch on experimental.
  • What are its content updates.
  • If there was an "issue" but couldn't be released... why not?
  • If they found a fix for any roadblocks/problems.
  • and maybe a comment a day or couple of hours before it will be released to stable.

That is information that is quick, easy and simple to understand. Threads getting drowned out by irrelevant rants by other players don't help you find this information easily. Simple as that. (not trying to be snarky... just being direct)

Edited by sniperdoc
  • Like 6