Hetstaine

Rocket standing down from Dayz by end of year

Quite honestly, I would say that people like FrankieonPC has had potentially more to do with the success of DayZ than any other individual.  Sounds crazy, I know, but I would be willing to bet he drove a few hundred thousand of the sales the game has had.  His videos have done more to show what is possible or what the game is to laymen than anything Dean has said.  Dean kicked things off, made Bohemia realize they could monetize the concept and move to a standalone, but Frankie promoted the game in ways they never could.

Not to drive this topic off course, but frankie is a massive suspected hacker that has been banned from multiple servers for it. There are numerous hacking accusations on him, and that does not suprise me. He barely dies. He did not and never will nor have influinced me to buy DayZ. Quite a boring youtuber in my opinion. Dean made me buy this game, him being an inspiration. I understand though that he wants to be with his family, and he probably doesn't even need to work anymore after this.

• Like 2

For me, the bigger issue isn't that he is going, it's this quote...

"I feel like DayZ is a fundamentally flawed concept, and I've always recognised that. It's not the perfect game; it's not the multiplayer experience, and it never can be, [with] the absolute spark that I want in it."

Yeah, definitely not if you just leave the project... Meh, who knows... I've spent £20 on games I've played less.

• Like 6

Why is there no meme yet ?

You people disgust me.

Seesh, ok, I never make memes, and loath them, but I gather this is a special case.

xQLrMQ9.jpg

and a template for anyone interested

29kMcPr.jpg

• Like 1

Pre-release Hall seemed pretty much like "I'm totally excited about everything"

Strange how now he's like "its never gonna be the perfect game". 

Going by that I think he should be replaced. You need someone who believes in what they are doing or else it is doomed to fail. Might as well replace him now...

Also based upon that I don't think I'd be much interested in any of these other ideas he has

Edited by DoctorBadSign
  • Like 5

Why is everyone acting like this is the end of the game? He's not taking your money and running, he's leaving it in the hands of a team of people (around thirty if I recall correctly) he clearly trusts to develop it further. That team has been doing most of the work on it since standalone came out anyway.

I have huge respect for Rocket and for DayZ, it is his baby and it shows that his greatest strength is his creativity. Let me restate that with emphasis; His strength is his creativity. I mean no insult to Rocket when I say this despite it sounding harsh, but it's clear that his greatest talent is put to waste if he's a code-monkey (he himself says he breaks just as much as he fixes when he's working on the game) and he doesn't even seem to play the game as evidenced by his borderline noobish behaviour when he is playing it on his streams. Despite these flaws the concept of the game sprung from his mind and took form. That is a great gift to the PC gaming community at large, with the market being swamped by shitty and unoriginal games, and I am grateful for it.

If Rocket thinks he's done all he can for this game and must move on I respect his decision, I predict he's already working on a new concept for a game that might equally blow us away. I predict this because that's clearly what he does best, and he's established himself as a horse you can bet on when it comes to taking risks other developers and publishers won't and still making it a financial success.

There's no shame in facing truth. He does it very well. How many times any of us tried more than we can chew ?

Game will progress, SDK for modding will come, and all that. It is not like half the community hasn't been a PC gamer for over 20 - 30 years, we seen a lot.

Many of you look like Zeds aggroing on Hall.

Edited by Hethwill_Khan
  • Like 1

Why is everyone acting like this is the end of the game? He's not taking your money and running, he's leaving it in the hands of a team of people (around thirty if I recall correctly) he clearly trusts to develop it further. That team has been doing most of the work on it since standalone came out anyway.

I have huge respect for Rocket and for DayZ, it is his baby and it shows that his greatest strength is his creativity. Let me restate that with emphasis; His strength is his creativity. I mean no insult to Rocket when I say this despite it sounding harsh, but it's clear that his greatest talent is put to waste if he's a code-monkey (he himself says he breaks just as much as he fixes when he's working on the game) and he doesn't even seem to play the game as evidenced by his borderline noobish behaviour when he is playing it on his streams. Despite these flaws the concept of the game sprung from his mind and took form. That is a great gift to the PC gaming community at large, with the market being swamped by shitty and unoriginal games, and I am grateful for it.

If Rocket thinks he's done all he can for this game and must move on I respect his decision, I predict he's already working on a new concept for a game that might equally blow us away. I predict this because that's clearly what he does best, and he's established himself as a horse you can bet on when it comes to taking risks other developers and publishers won't and still making it a financial success.

He had one tune before alpha, and now it's a completely different one? What changed? Oh yeah, 1.5 million things changed.

He had one tune before alpha, and now it's a completely different one? What changed? Oh yeah, 1.5 million things changed.

What tune has changed? He never said DayZ would be his entire life until he dies, he never said he won't work on other games when DayZ can stand on its own two feet.

• Like 1

Pre-release Hall seemed pretty much like "I'm totally excited about everything"

Strange how now he's like "its never gonna be the perfect game". 

Going by that I think he should be replaced. You need someone who believes in what they are doing or else it is doomed to fail. Might as well replace him now...

Also based upon that I don't think I'd be much interested in any of these other ideas he has

My thoughts exactly,as we all are aware,he is the one who started the game and he should be the one most excited than

anyone else in my opinion cause it's his "creation" and he should be proud abou it.Yet if he's not willing to pay extra attention to

his "baby" project that made him the guy he is today,then we should be looking for foster parents as soon as possible.

I think many of us pay in advance for a game, not a person. A project is a team, not a person. A game is the developers plus the community.

What tune has changed? He never said DayZ would be his entire life until he dies, he never said he won't work on other games when DayZ can stand on its own two feet.

Don't put words in my mouth. There's tons of articles where he speaks of excitement and how this game will be so much better than the mod, and now he says it's a flawed concept. That doesn't strike you as odd?

• Like 1

Oh well, guess Rust is the game to look out for in the future!

Rust?

The War Z?

7 days to die?

Seriously?

All those titles (yes, including RUST) only plagiarize DayZ. Some do it better, some do it worse, but in the end it's neither new nor groundbreaking...

• Like 4

The way some of you brown nose this rocket guy is hilarious. Do you think he reads these comments and appreciates them? I doubt the guy could care less either way and all you're doing is boosting his already over-inflated ego!!!

All hail the Lord god rocket!!!!!!

(When will he learn to pronounce 'bear' correctly in his squeaky auzzie/weird accent)

Edited by TheWanderingMan

Not to drive this topic off course, but frankie is a massive suspected hacker that has been banned from multiple servers for it. There are numerous hacking accusations on him, and that does not suprise me. He barely dies. He did not and never will nor have influinced me to buy DayZ. Quite a boring youtuber in my opinion. Dean made me buy this game, him being an inspiration. I understand though that he wants to be with his family, and he probably doesn't even need to work anymore after this.

And that is fine, though the hacking claim generally stems from a single incident.  What is true is that his videos have one and a half million views each and he has been instrumental in many thousands of people purchasing the original ARMA and the Standalone.

I know of Frankie long before I had ever heard of Dean, and what drives both mods and niche games like DayZ is publicity and word of mouth.  Frankie's videos have done that.

Because rocket owns DayZ. Oh no, wait, he doesn't. DayZ is still Bohemias property and Dean hall is a developer currently employed there.

That means that a) They could fire him b)shut down DayZ if they wanted to, withou him being able to do anything against it (unless his contract says otherwise, which I don't think it does) c)he is (yeah hard to believe) allowed to resign if he wants.

And since this can't be quoted enough:

To be fair... the most important element of the story is that I am continuing to work on DayZ for the rest of the year, and more if required.

Overly attached DayZ community is overly attached:

CLElNc2.png

• Like 2

Don't put words in my mouth. There's tons of articles where he speaks of excitement and how this game will be so much better than the mod, and now he says it's a flawed concept. That doesn't strike you as odd?

Not at all, but I understand perfectionists and most people don't. I made a post referencing what he said here.

He is leaving because he knows the gamje is screwed.

Think of all those dreamy features he wants to add in and the amount of space they are going to need for it.

The game is already laggy as hell and i could not understand how they were going to fit all of these features in, dean has just confirmed for me that they never were or are going to put this stuff in the game and if they do the game is going to be buggy as hell. It was all just deans wild fantasy.

This game is going  nowhere unless they can get an extra 60 fps out of it which they cant, add 60 then add all the stuff they want to include in the game and thats going to use most of that 60 fps up just on the features and what are we left with, the same junk we have now.

Mark my words everyone is going to feel like they have been ripped off in ten months time.

You do realise there are 10 months until the end of the year?  We should be in Beta by then and Rocket hardly needs to be around for bug fixes which an accomplished team well versed in the RV engine could take care of.

hold up didnt the same team or most of BI work on arma 2 how long did that take to make none buggy ? oh wait.....

I think it's all because of Bohemia. They don't want to spent much money on this project so DayZ will never be as it was supposed to be. That is why Dean is leaving in my opinion, he is no Okay with that. Well, this game was failure since the first public shows. It will be the biggest scam of Early Access.

Edited by Kaczor

Think of all those dreamy features he wants to add in and the amount of space they are going to need for it.

The game is already laggy as hell and i could not understand how they were going to fit all of these features in, dean has just confirmed for me that they never were or are going to put this stuff in the game and if they do the game is going to be buggy as hell. It was all just deans wild fantasy.

This game is going  nowhere unless they can get an extra 60 fps out of it which they cant, add 60 then add all the stuff they want to include in the game and thats going to use most of that 60 fps up just on the features and what are we left with, the same junk we have now.

Mark my words everyone is going to feel like they have been ripped off in ten months time.

Got a sneaky feeling you may be right bro.

I paid $30 for the Standalone, so I kind of feel like I own Rocket's future.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 7

Why would they be? They were advised by Dean himself not the buy the game, well at least in its current state...

Edited by weedmasta

Rust?

The War Z?

7 days to die?

Seriously?

All those titles (yes, including RUST) only plagiarize DayZ. Some do it better, some do it worse, but in the end it's neither new nor groundbreaking...

Your argument is invalid. Did Half-life plagiarize Doom? Whether something is new or groundbreaking is irrelevant. Surely it's the quality of the game - which you just admitted some do it better.

Do you only play games on how groundbreaking they are regardless of how shitty they may be?

Dean
"I'm tired of Zombies"

Hall

is bailing the fuck out? suprised1?

lol! thank you jeebus! this game might be finished with minimal casual player appeasement!

eurogamer stream stock must have just PLUMMETED

TEAM ROCKET'S BLASTING OFF AGAIN (THIS TIME WITH OUR MONEY)