Hetstaine

Rocket standing down from Dayz by end of year

Very very disappointing. I guess I chose my idol wrong.

Edited by AsOiX
  • Like 1

Go team Rocket. I expect bigger and better things now considering the lessons learnt these past couple of years.

Both from DayZ and whatever fabulous project Dean chooses to work on.

I understand the reactions, those who have been around long enough are probably as much invested in Dean as they are in DayZ. He kind of rubs of on you I suppose.

The key to modern living is to embrace change :)

Why are people so worried about this?  What has Dean ever produced from start to finish?  He is a guy who had an interesting idea and started it, allowing others to "finish" it.  He isn't a professional developer.  He is an idea guy.  He has no track record.  To be perfectly honest, when he talks, it is always these vague concepts.  When someone brings up something, like bows or horses, it is as though he has never heard a single thing he doesn't like or that he doesn't want to add.  That shows a serious lack of focus.  The head of a development team NEEDS to be the source of focus for the team.

100% agree, and reading the article shows that Dean recognises this about himself and actually agrees aswell, I think this is not a bad thing, Dean has a great ability to make others see the merit in risky ideas, but after a point this becomes a problem. There are other people working on this game who have more focused vision and also no intention too make the game casual. Essentially, don't panic!

• Like 3

100% agree, and reading the article shows that Dean recognises this about himself and actually agrees aswell, I think this is not a bad thing, Dean has a great ability to make others see the merit in risky ideas, but after a point this becomes a problem. There are other people working on this game who have more focused vision and also no intention too make the game casual. Essentially, don't panic!

He sure made me see merit in taking the risk of shelling out 23 euros for the game. And he was right about that becoming a potential problem just now.

Edited by Infiltrator

After Dean "the Rocket" Hall leaves, DAYZ will go down - and we will see 100+ military weapons in DAYZ.

So he had made his money with DAYZ... - BUT WHAT ABOUT US? HE LEAVES US ALONE WITH ALPHA!

>:(

Rocket, sheesh.  So he's sold everyone an Alpha build of a game, a bare bones one at that, got a shit load of money off of people that are inspired by the vision of what the game could be.  Then he just fucking leaves?

Fucking hell, now all we need is theforum staff to jump in the thread and start defending these stupid actions.  

He was literally trying to sell us on "the standalone this" "the standalone that" "wait for the standalone".  It's been out in alpha stage for how long now? and he bails the fuck out?  

• Like 2

No, just pointing out that officially Rocket probably only has to give one or two months notice before quitting his job.  I think being transparent and letting people know his plans far into the future is pretty decent.

He actually probably signed some sort of contract which probably wouldn't allow him to quit on such short notice. And it is a stupid idea because any sort of lack buster performance (real or made up by the community) will be blamed on him not caring and having checked out.

• Like 1

Edit, because some people did not realise this: He will leave at the earliest in 10 month and not even that is set in stone if there are major problems. So it is NOT like "he took our money and ran".

the most important element of the story is that I am continuing to work on DayZ for the rest of the year, and more if required.

And it's not like that after that, the Arma developers will get DayZ as additional project, I think. It will be more like that someone of the already existing "50++" people in the DayZ team will make the project leader.

it's better that everyone knows my intention now, all the "drama" and panic comments... and then in a week nobody will give a crap and we're back to normal.

I only hope he answers what he meant with that:

"I feel like DayZ is a fundamentally flawed concept, and I've always recognised that. It's not the perfect game; it's not the multiplayer experience, and it never can be, [with] the absolute spark that I want in it."

...Zombies, maybe?^^

Edited by LaughingJack

Rocket, sheesh.  So he's sold everyone an Alpha build of a game, a bare bones one at that, got a shit load of money off of people that are inspired by the vision of what the game could be.  Then he just fucking leaves?

Fucking hell, now all we need is theforum staff to jump in the thread and start defending these stupid actions.  

He was literally trying to sell us on "the standalone this" "the standalone that" "wait for the standalone".  It's been out in alpha stage for how long now? and he bails the fuck out?  

You do realise there are 10 months until the end of the year?  We should be in Beta by then and Rocket hardly needs to be around for bug fixes which an accomplished team well versed in the RV engine could take care of.

• Like 1

I think it is a good decision as much as i admire Dean Hall. In terms of the DayZ Standalone he wasn't the main man in making the game what it is now he was more of the frontman encouraging people to buy his game or not encouraging them either way.

In the end what we see now is all due to the programmers and designers. Listening to the stream Brian Hicks did previously i'm confident they have the proper vision for DayZ. Though i'll be honest DayZ will lose a bit of its appeal once Dean is gone.

Keep in mind its not till the end of the year so DayZ may even be in beta by then before Dean leaves.

Wow, some people on reddit...and still he answers them -.- I'd just ignore them...a guy says he should go fuck himself and he answers:

You forget that DayZ isn't mine, it's Bohemia's. Also, I'm literally on the other side of the world from my entire family, in a country that I do not speak the language.

For about a decade I've been promising my family I will eventually come home. Airforce, Army, now this... I want to go back to New Zealand while there is still some "New Zealand" left in me.

This isn't really news, as I've said it before. It's just news because an article got released about it :)

Also, as I said, the key part of the article is "...after at least a year".

Quite honestly, I would say that people like FrankieonPC has had potentially more to do with the success of DayZ than any other individual.  Sounds crazy, I know, but I would be willing to bet he drove a few hundred thousand of the sales the game has had.  His videos have done more to show what is possible or what the game is to laymen than anything Dean has said.  Dean kicked things off, made Bohemia realize they could monetize the concept and move to a standalone, but Frankie promoted the game in ways they never could.

• Like 3

This is shocking but not surprising. Mr. Hall was listening and trying to cater to the casual crowd and I'm pretty sure that this is his downfall.

• Like 1

bye bye dayz-standalone...

I only see the future back in the "orginal dayz-mod" ... maybe these modding-guys can do it better...

You do realise there are 10 months until the end of the year?  We should be in Beta by then and Rocket hardly needs to be around for bug fixes which an accomplished team well versed in the RV engine could take care of.

Look at what fundamentally changed within the last three month, do you then really believe the game will be nearly finished within 10 month?

Look at what fundamentally changed within the last three month, do you then really believe the game will be nearly finished within 10 month?

Yes, yes i do.

• Like 3

OMG chill... 

• He will stay for 10 more months
  • He is not "the only game making god"
  • We should respect his wish to go home

Please read my article, i explained in detail why this is not the end of the world.

Edited by DerDuderich
  • Like 2

I'm not defending him. I just said I liked him, that's all, and it's a shame to see him leave. 

• Like 1

I'll be straight with the community,if he wants to leave,he should leave right away and not wait.

Not because some contract binds him to the Lead position.It's 10 months yes,but he clearly shows his disatisfaction.Other people will murder for his position in a game like DayZ,and i'm not talking in account of the money.I don't care if you have a team of 50 script kiddies working on the project,as long as they are passionate and driven by fun in what they do,the game will have bright dayZ ahead of it.

• Like 2

Dean Hall is one of my fav developers, simply his communication with people is amazing, and more developers need to take notes about that, hopefully whoever replaces him will follow in his steps and keep the game good as Dean imagined

Dean Hall will always be the main developer who made DayZ so epic for me :)

Edited by Electriq
  • Like 1

No it isn't but I guess I had the wrong impression of Dean i.e. that DayZ SA was his "baby" and therefore I find it strange that he is already announcing his departure barely 2-3 months after the alpha release.

He announced now, that he will stay for some 10 more months. 

This is quite substantial ammount of time in my book.

Plus we have to accept that he wants to have his own studio and freely pursuit his visions.

DayZ gave him just enough finances to fullfill this dream, to make games without compromises forced upon idiotic "managers" and other "experts".

All in all, it might be in player's best interest because we might get more great games from Rocket.