Hetstaine

Rocket standing down from Dayz by end of year

But he won't leave DayZ in the lurch - won't leave at a crucial time. "I would extend my involvement here as long as Bohemia wanted - needed - me," he stressed. In other words, there's flexibility.

It's not fixed. But it will happen. Besides, what he say's makes perfect sense. Chill the hell out :-D

Edited by jumling
  • Like 4

well with not too much extra done and then announcing you leaving early in alpha what do you expect from gamers?

from what we understand hell just be going as we get features that are in the mod now near christmas.

Kind of my thoughts, We wont be getting alot of the features we want UNTIL XMAS... I would prefer to have his ideas and concepts behind things whether he thinks so or not hahaha, He isnt giving himself enough credit

There are other people involved in DayZ you know....

By the end of the year the game should be feature complete - does Rocket really need to hang around to bug fix the Beta?

• Like 8

He will start his own studio in New Zealand. I really understand his decision tbh.

I don't, because he already took our money

• Like 3

Kind of my thoughts, We wont be getting alot of the features we want UNTIL XMAS... I would prefer to have his ideas and concepts behind things whether he thinks so or not hahaha, He isnt giving himself enough credit

Burlap sack and handcuffs Mr-Burns-Saying-Excellent.gif

• Like 3

By the end of the year the game should be feature complete - does Rocket really need to hang around to bug fix the Beta?

funny how he never released this info before releasing alpha. imagine the massive sales if people would of known.

• Like 9

What would you do if you earned 1 500 000 x 29$? Retire!

On the bright side, maybe in a couple of years we can play something like DayZ, with Dean behind it..on a spanking new unclunky engine ;)

You are far too optimistic

What makes you think Rocket with a new studio would be able to deliver a better open world, mil sim focused engine with a new studio.

Meanwhile Bohemia has over a decade in experience, the arma 2 and 3 engine are perfectly fine for what they are. The Arma 3 in particular is daam impressive.

• Like 7

Hello there

Well, that's it.

The Universe will officially end.

Actually, 10 months is a bloody long time and the core of the game and the direction its intended to go has been planned out, Im not worried at all.

If I was dean, with a bulging sack (full of cash & pipsi) I'd probably bugger off as well. He's a viable "product" at the moment.

It is a shame to see him leave but I have faith in Bohemia to leave me with a  great game.

They've made too much cash and have to much reputation riding on it to let it fail.

Dont forget Bohemia have a background in milsims and milgames, I dont think they will go for the mass audience although I can see them being less brutally hardcore. Lets wait and see.

Im not worried, I dont think any of you lot should be either.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 8

funny how he never released this info before releasing alpha. imagine the massive sales if people would of known.

I would have still bought it knowing BI was behind the project. But still, I'd imagine sales wouldn't have been as insane.

• Like 3

I've seen many games that had added features way beyond beta to keep people interested. Hopefully this will not happen with DayZ, but having Dean around was rather reassuring that this will never happen, since he had a rather strong stance in what the concept should look like.

Just as someone said before, health bars and fast travel just became much more likely.

I hear there is a replacement already lined up.....let me see.....ah yes a Mr Sergey Titov......

• Like 14

i heard in the next game called everest you have to climb to top collecting different hats .

• Like 7

It's not about the decision to abandon his position as the Lead dev.

It's about the community's most darkest fears,that he won't be very passionate about making Dayz the mother of all RPGs (myself included and hardcore fans consider Dayz to be the mother of all Rpgs out there,at least for now)

if he is talking about leaving this early.We are currently lacking basic game infastructure,and without him,the game lacks vision.In my opinion,as long as the game is stable and all goes well and release,the community is going to put 50 times the work Dean and his team put in his game. :)

It's not that i fear the game going to hell...but lackin passion could lead to a tombstone.

• Like 8

The end of the year is 10 months away people....calm down.

HE WONT FINISH BETA ONLY STAYING FOR ALPHA! :(

The measly 20+ euros I put in gave me many of hours of quality entertainment ready, not really a waste... but....

Such a decision announced with such an advance gives way to much speculation, although I like how blunt and rough Mr. Dean Hall is. Very frontal, and There is tons of behind the stages situations in any industry and the DayZ project is no exception.

Speculation aside, he is the face of DayZ, there is no denying that, but also BI for giving him the opportunity to develop his idea further than a mod.

Who knows what will happen...

At the very least release the SDK kit sooner than later, that would be a smart move...

• Like 2

HE WONT FINISH BETA ONLY STAYING FOR ALPHA! :(

But by the time Beta arrives the game will be feature complete and hopefully just a few bug fixes are required before it hits Release.

Hopefully.

I hear there is a replacement already lined up.....let me see.....ah yes a Mr Sergey Titov......

Yep, you just pulled out my deepest, darkest fears right there.

• Like 2

Took the money and ran.   But why didnt he just hand over the game to a more competent team over a year ago?  

• Like 1

Took the money and ran.   But why didnt he just hand over the game to a more competent team over a year ago?  

He hasn't run very far though..

Anyone who has a singular focus for years...one project they work on 12 hours a day, 7 days a week...is going to get burned out on it and want to do something else eventually.  

This project has pretty much been Dean's life for years and I don't think he'll leave it until it's viable without him.  

That being said, Dean doesn't strike me as the type of bloke to retire and just disappear.  I think the others here who have suggested that he will open his own studio are correct.  

Folks who climb mountains (real or metaphorical) typically don't every retire...ever.  This  :beans: is for you Deano!  :D

• Like 2

Dean is too honest sometimes...

That's why it's better to just address the elephant in the room. It's also fairer for Bohemia as well, rather than for me to just turn around one day and say 'see ya'. This isn't my home. And also it's a bit different with Notch: he set up his own studio - this isn't my studio.

I can't - and nor should I - turn around and say and say 'this is how we do it'. I don't even know how their country works, their labour laws or anything. And, you know, I miss home.

Well, I understand him. I have worked 3 years away from my home and in the end I just wanted to go back.

And additionally....

Much can change in a year, of course. Is Hall's mind set? "Oh, it's set. Definitely," he nodded. But he won't leave DayZ in the lurch - won't leave at a crucial time. "I would extend my involvement here as long as Bohemia wanted - needed - me," he stressed. In other words, there's flexibility.

"Originally I wasn't going to do this year, but it would be stupid not to, and it would be unfair to the community. I have to be on the project as long as it's important to. Whether that role is as the leader, whether that role is in a more creative sense... But at a certain point there will be diminishing returns.

"The thing is, if I'm involved in the project, I'll be fighting anybody on the project to make sure it's good, so for the rest of the year, I'm there. And I don't just sit around; it doesn't matter if I'm the cleaner or the leader or whatever, I will be making sure - I will be in Marek's [spanel, CEO] office yelling at him. I'm notorious for it."

He realises, too, that he'll never walk away completely from DayZ. "I'll be always involved," he said. "I would be surprised, and Bohemia would as well - I remember talking about this with Marek... I'll always be involved with it; there's no way to escape it."

....at least that sounds familiar.

You Sir, are a monster.^^

• Like 4

This is probably a good thing guys.

No need for a meltdown.

All this means is people from within Bohemia you know people who have actually launched and released a completed game before will be in charge now.

These people will see to it that the sluggish dev pace, and bugs are fixed in a timely manner.

Hello there

Whos more competent on the RV engine other than BIS?

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1