Hetstaine

Rocket standing down from Dayz by end of year

Whelp, I predicted this over a year ago when the standalone was first announced. I had a feeling that it was nothing more that a cash grab and that Rocket was no better than Sergey Titov. For once I wish I hadnt been right, but it was fairly obvious that rocket has more ego than talent.

How can Dean leave Czech? It has the best beer on this planet!

Maybe the best cheap beer. For the good stuff come to Bavaria!

• Like 1

LIES!

Maybe the best cheap beer. For the good stuff come to Bavaria!

LIES AS WELL!

Zeuge-Jever.jpg 

And yes, I am fully aware that Pilsener technically is Czech.

Edited by kichilron

Maybe he's desperate for a fergburger

• Like 1

In either case, I think his announcement was made too prematurely and should have been worded better. Not expecting this much flack about it would be silly. I appreciate him being honest and all but you don't have to be a rocket scientist (pun intended) to predict this "outcome" i.e. an unfortunate portion of the player base going "OMGWEHAVEBEENROBBED". No doubt it isn't a desired outcome but unfortunately a realistic one, our gene pool is littered with trash.

• Like 3

Dean hall decides to say "i don't t see DayZ overcoming it's flaws and becoming the game we all wanted it to be" shortly AFTER taking everyone's 30 dollars...

And you are still defending him?

Thats nothing short of thievery

He never said that. I dare you to present me with a link to where you quoted that from, word for word.

Well this thread caused a stir...

Checked the calender, nowhere near April 1st!

Hello there

Epic troll, Hetstaine, I hope you are proud you naughty scamp.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

is there really something surprising about the reactions?

Yes, there is.

There is some real comment but there's a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth and general panic.

L

• Like 1

Sad news that. Big boots to fill.

Well he leaves with a big sack of money... This is why early access is a flawed concept, people initially think that it is the same as a preorder whilst in reality it isn't.

I am not surprised I would do the same thing he is rich now and might as well leave and do whatever he wants. Bohemia will take care of the game, however be prepared for a kids friendly version of DayZ.

It is a very douchebag move from Rocket (I repeat: I probably would have done the same with that money). Now come Rocket fans and rain hellfire on me for saying that....

Edited by Persason

Yes, there is.

There is some real comment but there's a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth and general panic.

L

What? There is something surprising about it? To say there is, is to be ignorant of understanding how an internet based community behaves. Honestly, makes me wonder how someone could be a moderator and not be pissed about what Dean started......???

Dean's move was either purely strategic or just not thought out at all. I'd like to think the former, but I don't know him personally and don't pretend to. Either way, he started a sh*tstorm of ????'s.

Edited by sniperdoc

Whelp, I predicted this over a year ago when the standalone was first announced. I had a feeling that it was nothing more that a cash grab and that Rocket was no better than Sergey Titov. For once I wish I hadnt been right, but it was fairly obvious that rocket has more ego than talent.

linky ?

• Like 1

He never said that. I dare you to present me with a link to where you quoted that from, word for word.

He actually said: 

""I feel like DayZ is a fundamentally flawed concept," he went on, "and I've always recognised that. It's not the perfect game; it's not the multiplayer experience, and it never can be, [with] the absolute spark that I want in it.""

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-24-dean-hall-to-leave-bohemia-and-step-down-as-leader-of-dayz

Edited by InvisiMan2013

Refusing to read the whole thread, but the writer of the article that started this shitstorm chose a perfect title.. Sarcasm intended if no one got that.

He took two lines from a long interview and turned it into the story of the month. 

He completely missed the point where Dean was not leaving anything but the lead role and Czech.  Beeing fully capeable of working on the game remotely with someone else in charge.

Mr. Hall is not the other people on the team, can imagine how they feel about it all after the ragestorm on reddit, way to stick it to them I say..

Their work's worth nothing all of a sudden? Rocket did it all by himself?

My two cents, 

Nainers.

• Like 2

er... Belgium, by a country mile.

• Like 1

What? There is something surprising about it? To say there is, is to be ignorant of understanding how an internet based community behaves. Honestly, makes me wonder how someone could be a moderator and not be pissed about what Dean started......???

Go on, ill bite. Why should I be "pissed" about what Dean started?

We've got rid of a few trolls and identified others, this has been effective from my point of view.

If people refuse to see facts or jump blindly to conclusions, it does surprise me, no matter my years on the net.

L

• Like 1

Is it coincidence that "Dean Hall" is an anagram of "Ha! All end." I think not.

My impression is that he's an ideas man rather than a technical wizard, which is awkward because DayZ is at the point where it needs technical wizards who can optimise the existing ideas rather than spend their time developing new ones. As such Dean probably faced a choice between remaining as a frustrated figurehead or going off somewhere else. Up or out, as they say in the armed forces.

The problem is that I don't think of Dean Hall as a businessman, as such, in which case he's going to find it very hard to set up and run a software development business. I worry that he will end up as a conceptual analogue of John Romero... or, hey, Joel Hodgson from MST3K. His talent is so particular, his vision so singular, that he will struggle to apply it.

1326607635293.jpg

Sorry Hudson, I'm all out of beans for today. :(

We've got rid of a few trolls and identified others, this has been effective from my point of view.

If people refuse to see facts or jump blindly to conclusions, it does surprise me, no matter my years on the net.

L

Oooooh I see... you WANTED to have the extra work of having to deal with the extra load on the servers (which don't work worth a dang to begin with). You WANTED to have to ban people and link duplicate threads... I get it now... this was all about giving you some work because you were twiddling your thumbs the whole time! </end sarcasm>

As an IT person it pissed me off to no end when people do dumb sh*t and give me work that shouldn't need to be done. Being a little bit smarter can prevent you from having to react to someone else's incompetence. So, I'm totally floored that you're ok with all this mess.

In the military, if someone on my team caused a problem, the person responsible would have to buy beer for the entire platoon, or company for that matter... because whatever it was could have killed someone. It could mean that person was not a team player... now to be clear, because reading comprehension seems to be really low today (not implying you, in general I mean)... I don't mean that Dean's comments were life threatening... but it means he didn't think about the impact his statements would cause. And that... my friend... is NOT a team player, and probably why it's not a bad idea he's leaving...

Edited by sniperdoc

L

I wonder how many moderators are sifting through the 500 'Papers' that the forum posters have left.

Hello there

Epic troll, Hetstaine, I hope you are proud you naughty scamp.

Rgds

LoK

I love it when you call me naughty.

• Like 2

Oooooh I see... you WANTED to have the extra work of having to deal with the extra load on the servers (which don't work worth a dang to begin with). You WANTED to have to ban people and link duplicate threads... I get it now... this was all about giving you some work because you were twiddling your thumbs the whole time! </end sarcasm>

Well, it looks like this conversations at an end.

L

ahhh you edited your post, i may choose to answer you later.

Edited by orlok

I love it when you call me naughty.

He also called you a scamp! You remember those, aye? The little imp like things from ES: Oblivion? Nasty critters.

• Like 2

Gais, just because a major leader is stepping down, doesn't mean the whole government is resigning.

Nogova is not being invaded by soviets.  :D

• Like 1