RadikulRAM

What's the current hacking status like in DayZ:SA?

This topic and it's posts are funny and sad.

It's funny in the sense that the Dayz mod, for my group of 20 friends, became so unplayable because of hacking, that those of us that didn't quit the game moved to a fantastic white-list server. I won't say which one because I wouldn't want to encourage anyone to try to ruin it.

Arma 3 is full of hackers. I just bought the game a day before the steam sale (shit is always worse on steam sale weekends) and Arma 3 is Bohemia's flagship product, years in development and lots of cash poured into it. There are some servers, generally the large 65+ servers that are always full that you can't play on for more than 20 minutes without the server being killed with some ingenuis hacks like 300 feet tall penis shaped towers of ATVs or a 24 hr News Network style ticker tape banner saying "you've been hacked, lol" combined with everyone being tp'd to a central location to be destroyed by fuel trucks pouring out of the ground into the sky.

Dayz SA..I've played hundreds of hours and I haven't actually experienced anything that I was certain was a hack. I'm sure they are there, based on second and third hand accounts, but honestly, compared to the mod where full servers were getting nuke hacked once an hour, this really isn't that bad. I wish I could quantify this scientifically. My guess, based on what Rocket has said on the matter, is that the easiest methods of exploting Arma II/Dayz SA were eliminated (Arma 2 was designed on a way that the exact opposite that you would design a game to not be hacked, and closing those most obvious doors cuts the button of the pyramid off the chart)

Additionally, the shiny has wore of of the Dayz concept and there are new FoTM games to go harvest tears from until Dayz is officially released. When the game is released, they will be back in force. Most hackers and script kiddies don't just play one or two games and exploit them forever, they move on to a different game or set of games every month....I imagine it gets very boring getting the same tears over and over again.

I have full confidence that Rocket and his team will put out a quality product that will be fun to play and which will be in the same spirit as the original mod in terms of tone, feeling, and what we hope to enjoy from it.

But the biggest issue in the end, when it comes to the longevity of the game, how long the average player will keep playing, and ultimately in my opinion, whether this game is successful or not is whether hacking is minor annoying or whether it dominates the game. You can build a near perfect game, that checklists all of the things that you want to do with the game, but if it doesn't addres the issue of hacking, in a way that Bohemia seems (by observation) to care none, know little, or unable to address, the game will be ruined despite your successes.

So please. Official security team. Security exploit feedback system. Security team devblogs. ect.

Thanks Rocket

Edited by johngalt
  • Like 1

What SmashT said. I'm honestly wondering, did you do some research before posting this? It shocks me that many people just come here and state things as fact which are simply wrong.

Look, I am going off of personal experience and (what seems to be) common knowledge about BE. I offered constructive criticism, no need to be -*ahem*- a dick.

Want me to be a blunt dick and start hating? I can do that too.

Look, I am going off of personal experience and (what seems to be) common knowledge about BE.

This is my problem. If you simply repeat what is posted about BE on the internet you will most likely be wrong. Besides, if you say "personal experience" I assume you signed up on private hack sites and saw with your own eyes that BE only banned cheaters once a month?

I offered constructive criticism, no need to be -*ahem*- a dick.

Fair enough, but I hope you understand that I cannot accept your constructive criticism if what you are claiming is the opposite of what's actually going on: BE bans detected cheaters quite fast, faster than other anti-cheats like VAC or PB.

What SmashT said. I'm honestly wondering, did you do some research before posting this? It shocks me that many people just come here and state things as fact which are simply wrong.

Welcome to the internet

Sorry Sable but it aint the hate train just truth tbh..

Clearly you are upset at other anti cheats being a leg up..

I wouldn't get upset but try to improve my or sorry your own anti cheat up even more....

Because some things like teleporting should never happen PERIOD.

So i will ask this if you guys know of the pbo exploit why isnt it being picked up harder by YOUR anti cheat system?

Unlike may other things that really if the anti cheat banned for it they wouldn't be doing it..

And there aint no hating there.

Sorry Sable but it aint the hate train just truth tbh..

Clearly you are upset at other anti cheats being a leg up..

I wouldn't get upset but try to improve my or sorry your own anti cheat up even more....

So i will ask this if you guys know of the pbo exploit why isnt it being picked up harder by YOUR anti cheat system?

Unlike may other things that really if the anti cheat banned for it they wouldn't be doing it..

And there aint no hating there.

This is pretty moronic tbh.

Teleporting is something that happens because of how BIS has allowed it to happen within their game engine, it has nothing to do with BE who can only detect hacks/software running on a computer plus any other techinques they use to catch cheaters. Nothing to do with gameplay at all. If an .exe file / software is not detected by BE then they won't get banned regardless of whatever hack that is permitted (vulnerabilities) by the engine.

As for .pbo abuse, again BIS fault here, not BE, would be utterly stupid to ban every user globally because of a .pbo file being missing or corrupt, so many false positives will happen. Besides making manual alteration, deleting or moving game files is NOT hacking, it should NOT be a ban offence, This is just bad design on BIS side, but they are obviously trying to fix these loopholes and you have notice some certain types of hacks have been removed completely.

My only concern is that the few programmer geniuses that can create hacks for themselves solely, will probably never get caught, this is where Server admins and bans + visible names would be an advantage. It's a little like private trojans that don't get detected because their signatures are not picked up by any Antivirus, the file needs to be sent to a company that will read the file, see it's properties and see what the said file does and then add it to their databases.

Edited by blazed

And as far as I am concerned, that is not BE's problem at all. Teleporting is a prime example of something that can be detected using server side sanity checks. That is exactly what can be done on BI's side. While possible to check all players movement all the time on the server, it might take up too many resources. But it is still possible to track players randomly on the server side and when someone's positions seem suspiscious, mark him as such (for all servers in the hive) and look closer and for extended periods of time to make sure it was not a fluke before banning the player. If you do that, all client side teleport hacks that exist and will exist are done with without the need to always update BE with the new hacks.

I may be overlooking something here, I am not an anti cheat expert, but I'm quite certain that I know enough to highlight this as a prime example of what is actually BI's job and not BE's.

• Like 1

Correct me if im wrong but as this is a pinned topic i thought we as a community were supposed to be posting in here with details of hacks that we have seen and even better showing videos of what these hackers can do???

Lets stop blaming the Dev's and BE for these idiots who have nothing better to do with there time but hack games and spoil our fun,we should remember that its an Alpha and though it seems to moving very slowly forward i can see these guys getting banned well before the game is officially released which is probably what the team wants??

The hackers hit our server quite regular as i showed in a previous post on this forum but our admins cant do anything at the moment to track them down which i would like to see improved in future updates because if we have the abit of power to find these guys on our server then we would soon get rid of them.

As for glitching im sure that will be an easy fix as they stopped the jumping through walls to get into rooms so im sure they can make it so you cant crawl into them anymore?

Anyway onwards and upwards :)

cheers tom

Edited by tajertam

This is pretty moronic tbh.

Teleporting is something that happens because of how BIS has allowed it to happen within their game engine, it has nothing to do with BE who can only detect hacks/software running on a computer plus any other techinques they use to catch cheaters. Nothing to do with gameplay at all. If an .exe file / software is not detected by BE then they won't get banned regardless of whatever hack that is permitted (vulnerabilities) by the engine.

As for .pbo abuse, again BIS fault here, not BE, would be utterly stupid to ban every user globally because of a .pbo file being missing or corrupt, so many false positives will happen. Besides making manual alteration, deleting or moving game files is NOT hacking, it should NOT be a ban offence, This is just bad design on BIS side, but they are obviously trying to fix these loopholes and you have notice some certain types of hacks have been removed completely.

My only concern is that the few programmer geniuses that can create hacks for themselves solely, will probably never get caught, this is where Server admins and bans + visible names would be an advantage. It's a little like private trojans that don't get detected because their signatures are not picked up by any Antivirus, the file needs to be sent to a company that will read the file, see it's properties and see what the said file does and then add it to their databases.

How so when other anticheat programs would ban teleporting in a instant.....

Same with the wall glitching because this area would be marked as out of bounds....

Leading to a kick then a suspension of your account then a ban...

This is all from a program mind you no human involved so tell me how this is bad. or at least moronic..

As to corrupt pbo files please tell me how they get corrupt in the first place...very rarely would they be...

As to the few programmer hacks that never get picked up,i will say this the highway is only so wide and there is only 1 place you need to look for them,and thats in the memory...

Everything goes there even when hacks are streamed from drm server...

Only hacker i encountered i shot and killed. He hack spawned all his gear in and some of his gear wasn't even in the game like these weird red/black camo boots and a combat knife. i have seen Frankie encounter hackers before and the guy i killed had the exact same characteristics like not being able to use his backpack and all pristine items. its the only time i've ever shot anyone without trying to talk to them first

played 60+ hrs from the get-go of SA. First month or two encountered not one single hacker. Rejoined again about a month ago and have encountered many different types of hacker, mainly esp-tele-godmode dudes. Seen it all, the aforementioned hacks exist - however I still play, it kinda makes the game more exiting. Like when you enter a mil-loot area and expect random loggers to drop in. Except that now, the whole fucking game area is like that - meh, keeps me on my toes. Last hacker I encountered was god mode guy that teleported to me (we were the only two ppl on server) - I chopped him like 5+ times in the head with a pristine fireaxe before he managed to shoot me - not a drop of blood. Suck ass, but that's online gaming yo! When everything can be rendered 100% from the a server, then we will have games that "can't" be hacked. It's only a decade or so off.

Edited by dystopeon

How so when other anticheat programs would ban teleporting in a instant.....

Same with the wall glitching because this area would be marked as out of bounds....

Leading to a kick then a suspension of your account then a ban...

This is all from a program mind you no human involved so tell me how this is bad. or at least moronic..

As to corrupt pbo files please tell me how they get corrupt in the first place...very rarely would they be...

As to the few programmer hacks that never get picked up,i will say this the highway is only so wide and there is only 1 place you need to look for them,and thats in the memory...

Everything goes there even when hacks are streamed from drm server...

Other cheat engines don't ban teleporters. They have sanity checks in place to make sure the players are at a valid location. If the sanity check fails... rubberbanding.

One thing I am curious about is if BattleEye does ESP screenshots like Punkbuster. I think player/item ESP is a much larger problem than infinite ammo and teleporting as those type of things will be fixed by the DayZ dev team. The dev team cannot, however, detect people knowing where all other players and all other loot is.

Arma 3 is full of hackers. I just bought the game a day before the steam sale (shit is always worse on steam sale weekends) and Arma 3 is Bohemia's flagship product, years in development and lots of cash poured into it. There are some servers, generally the large 65+ servers that are always full that you can't play on for more than 20 minutes without the server being killed with some ingenuis hacks like 300 feet tall penis shaped towers of ATVs or a 24 hr News Network style ticker tape banner saying "you've been hacked, lol" combined with everyone being tp'd to a central location to be destroyed by fuel trucks pouring out of the ground into the sky.

That's not true. Arma 3 has almost no cheaters (atleast from my POV) as I have only seen 1-2 cheaters in 200 hours and I'm pretty sure that was before BE was added.

Edited by TSAndrey

That's not true. Arma 3 has almost no cheaters (atleast from my POV) as I have only seen 1-2 cheaters in 200 hours and I'm pretty sure that was before BE was added.

I thought the same until I saw the contents of a private hacking forum. A3 hackers have way more options than DayZ hackers including godmode and true teleporting (not speedrunning).

I thought the same until I saw the contents of a private hacking forum. A3 hackers have way more options than DayZ hackers including godmode and true teleporting (not speedrunning).

And why its because of VAC,nothing more..

And you are missing the whole point ScripFactory..Its easy to get a inside house glitch once but after numerous times dont you think it should be a bannable offence i mean 1 time is fine but if it more than 3 or 4 times that isnt accidently done..

And no SS that im aware of see,this is what im saying bring Battle Eye up to speed....

And why its because of VAC,nothing more..

And you are missing the whole point ScripFactory..Its easy to get a inside house glitch once but after numerous times dont you think it should be a bannable offence i mean 1 time is fine but if it more than 3 or 4 times that isnt accidently done..

And no SS that im aware of see,this is what im saying bring Battle Eye up to speed....

VAC?! VAC!??!?!?

Are you kidding me?! VAC has nothing to do with the amount of options a cheat has, it's the engine. VAC also sucks at detecting private cheats (unlike BE), so get off your VAC hype train and into reality!

Edited by TSAndrey

VAC?! VAC!??!?!?

Are you kidding me?! VAC has nothing to do with the amount of options a cheat has, it's the engine. VAC also sucks at detecting private cheats (unlike BE), so get off your VAC hype train and into reality!

Lol yer ok.....

And how do you know this sunshine?

And yes VAC has zero to do with the amount of options a cheat has dont see where i put that,but i did put if BE is going to stay maybe they should increase there options and move up to speed so SS and other things admins need are there...

And VAC sucks at detecting paid hacks hey?

Just lol at you sir derpers will always be derpers...

Get in the paid sections and look at the forums....Because with the 2 its a lot harder to hack in any game with 2 anticheats running...

Because 1 method is fine with 1 anticheat but the 2nd picks it up and the loop whole is closed...

So i dont know where your info is coming from..

The largest site has been done hard on DayZ,it goes down then is back up only to have bans 2days later..

Get in the paid sections and look at the forums....Because with the 2 its a lot harder to hack in any game with 2 anticheats running...

Because 1 method is fine with 1 anticheat but the 2nd picks it up and the loop whole is closed...

So i dont know where your info is coming from..

The largest site has been done hard on DayZ,it goes down then is back up only to have bans 2days later..

Sigh. If you have access to private hack sites you should know what's going on (i.e. the truth). The reason they are constantly down/detected is BE, not VAC. VAC hasn't detected most popular private hacks for a long time.
  • Like 1

As I mentioned before, BE actually targets intentional manipulation of PBO files as well (with bans, yes), but there are limits of course.

That might be true today, but it might not be true tomorrow (generally speaking). BE is constantly evolving, so no one can ever be 100% safe.
  • Like 1

As I mentioned before, BE actually targets intentional manipulation of PBO files as well (with bans, yes), but there are limits of course.

That might be true today, but it might not be true tomorrow (generally speaking). BE is constantly evolving, so no one can ever be 100% safe.

Well I appreciate the work you guys do, it must be no easy task considering everything is hackable. It's like trying to stay on step ahead of the guys who are trying to stay one step ahead lol

Nothing brings me more pleasure seeing the left hand of my screen pop up with big red letters... "Global Ban blah blah" I just say to my team there goes another post on the forums tomorrow haahahah

Sigh. If you have access to private hack sites you should know what's going on (i.e. the truth). The reason they are constantly down/detected is BE, not VAC. VAC hasn't detected most popular private hacks for a long time.

Bwahahah thats a joke tbh...

If you think that..

Like ive stated with the combo of the 2 its working well,but there are things that just shouldn't be happening..

The highway is only big enough in the memory  for them to be re-written....

Its just like the bf4 combo,they cant do half the things they did in bf3...

Are you at BE scared of them hiring VAC to be part of the anti cheat team,because it seems so...

Why be worried if you are you should lift your game then..

Bwahahah thats a joke tbh...

If you think that..

It's obvious you don't have access to most private hacks then. I wonder why hacks for other VAC-protected games don't have these constant problems?

(I guess I shouldn't feed the troll? :P)

It's obvious you don't have access to most private hacks then. I wonder why hacks for other VAC-protected games don't have these constant problems?

(I guess I shouldn't feed the troll? :P)

Lol why do you continue to take things out of context....

Please tell me that...

Oh and you should know seeing how you have access to theses forums..

Which you know is utter false,because there alot more careful then you think...

And you think that VAC has problems?

Maybe you should look with in before trashing other anti cheat options hey...

Because like ive stated there having trouble because of the 2 running side by side..

Now pleawse try taking that out of context..

Lol why do you continue to take things out of context....

Please tell me that...

Oh and you should know seeing how you have access to theses forums..

Which you know is utter false,because there alot more careful then you think...

And you think that VAC has problems?

Maybe you should look with in before trashing other anti cheat options hey...

Because like ive stated there having trouble because of the 2 running side by side..

Now pleawse try taking that out of context..

Can you stop posting false information already? Do everyone a favor and go do some research, then come back and post.