rocket

Servers with connection issues to central hive

Sounds like a database permissions issue.  Each "shard" (as Dean calls them) should have its own set of credentials for login.  You wouldn't want someone with login credentials for one shard being able to log in and alter data on another shard (read:server).  That being the case, when they re-did the database yesterday along with the patch they likely made a mistake on the permissions settings in the hive shards for the affected servers.  So what happens is, server restarts, tries to log in to its assigned shard in the hive, and cannot do so due to incorrect permissions or credentials, which leads to servers not being able to write any data to it, therefore explaining why characters and items are not saving.  It will be a great deal of work for them to go through and verify the settings on all the shards, most likely taking close to the full two hours to do it all and then verify.

Then again, I could be totally wrong.  But based on what I know about SQL, administrating DayZ servers, and everything I've read from Rocket and the GSPs this makes the most sense.  It's an easy mistake to make and SQL can be very unforgiving when you screw the pooch.

Yeah - good point. this whole change of the steam name thing I wasn't aware of, I'll check with Brian and let you know.

Well it seems that the new name system makes a new profile (using your PC name) in mydocs/dayz instead of using the one created prior to this update located in mydocs/dayz other profiles.

This results in a new cfg file meaning you lose all your keybinds and video preferences.

Also there is a 15 character limit which, for me having a 16 character name, is somewhat frustrating

IP Address: 66.55.158.201

Port: 2302

Server Name: (Public/3PP:ON) - 114557 | 24/7 DAY TIME | [soS] Regular 114557

We're still having the saving issue on our server.

Glad to see you are on it guys :)

Dont play for a couple of days to be on the safe side tbh :)

They are working on the problem, which is much better then working on a list of "working servers".

Patience my friend :)

I just keep trying different servers until one of them loads my character...there is no loss at all, your character will be fine even if you play with a new one...just try different servers...it will save your old character when you're done playing...

So with this issue does it mean that if I were to connect to a bad server and it resets me, and then I connect to a good server I will get all my stuff back from before the update?  That is what is is sounding like but have not seen anyone confirm this yet.

Break what isn't broken but don't fix what is, well done. Zombies still walk through walls, melee cannot be used in doors, but yeah fuck around with the memory structures for some unknown reason.

My character is gone, he's just plain simple gone, he didn't get shot, he didn't get jumped by zombies, he just vanished, no amount of reconnecting and changing file names have fixed that. He might still be somewhere on the hive but I can't get him back.

There's a very simple check that could prevent something happening in cases when its server v hive.

Attach three values to a character:

1) An ID number (when it was made YYMMDDHHMMSS + some random numbers).

2) Value of all the items in question on the character. Higher quality items obviously being worth more.

3) Boolean value for if the character has died (1 = dead, 0 = alive).

Also, the values in the hive should be bound to the steamID of the user only (alternatively assign each steamID a cd-key-like value). No names, no user names, no other useless crap data that is not permanent.

Now:

If the ID numbers are the same that means that the server has the correct data from the hive and whatever the server returns will overwrite what the hive has.

If the ID numbers are different and the hive has the character marked as alive. The hive should reject all updates from the server up until the value of the player's loot is greater than the value of the character stored on the hive. This will prevent an empty old character taking precedence over a new character which has found some loot and it will prevent an empty new character replacing a stocked old one.

If the character on the hive is marked as dead the newly created character replaces it immediately.

This is kind of checks you learn in basics of C++. Is the entire dev team lacking any kind of common sense?

Edited by NexDemise
  • Like 1

I paid for pre-alpha release, that's gotta be help enough. I could take the occasional server problems, disconnects, lag issues, but loosing my goddamn character and all items every half hour is at the top of the annoying list. Clearly they screwed up communicating the new server/hive set up details to the various server hosts. They need to get their act together and get the job done right, not blame the client/user.

Question that needs to be answered is ETA for when the servers are going to stop loosing player shit??  

Do you even know what Alpha means in gaming terms ?

Break what isn't broken but don't fix what is, well done. Zombies still walk through walls, melee cannot be used in doors, but yeah fuck around with the memory structures for some unknown reason.

My character is gone, he's just plain simple gone, he didn't get shot, he didn't get jumped by zombies, he just vanished, no amount of reconnecting and changing file names have fixed that.

There's a very simple check that could prevent something happening in cases when its server v hive.

2) Value of all the items in question on the character. Higher quality items obviously being worth more.

Also, the values in the hive should be bound to the steamID of the user only (alternatively assign each steamID a cd-key-like value). No names, no user names, no other useless crap data that is not permanent.

Now:

If the ID numbers are the same that means that the server has the correct data from the hive and whatever the server returns will overwrite what the hive has.

If the ID numbers are different and the hive has the character marked as alive. The hive should reject all updates from the server up until the value of the player's loot is greater than the value of the character stored on the hive. This will prevent an empty old character taking precedence over a new character which has found some loot and it will prevent an empty new character replacing a stocked old one.

If the character on the hive is marked as dead the newly created character replaces it immediately.

This is kind of checks you learn in basics of C++. Is the entire dev team lacking any kind of common sense?

You have no idea how the engine is built,

Your opinion makes sense, anyone could have thought of that solution but the problem is with the server architecture being changed for different shards of Hardcore and Regular, obviously there are verification issues when the game servers authorise with the database, or even server/OS settings or updates  for  change in security or whatever the case may be.I doubt they need some one  to tell them how to store character information as that has been done properly up until the latest patch, and since this is a server verification/communication problem, your solution really has no relevance to the issue, does it ?

it's always fascinating when people who couldn't code their way out of a paper bag tell the game dev's how to program ;) Always entertaining.

Edited by JoyEnergiser
  • Like 1

Well it seems that the new name system makes a new profile (using your PC name) in mydocs/dayz instead of using the one created prior to this update located in mydocs/dayz other profiles.

This results in a new cfg file meaning you lose all your keybinds and video preferences.

Also there is a 15 character limit which, for me having a 16 character name, is somewhat frustrating

This has always been the case for the Arma games aswell, so i think its intentional mate.

Every new name, creates a new profile folder, with new configs :)

I am not sure if they want it like this in DayZ, but im quite sure thats the reason for this happening :)

Sounds like a database permissions issue.  Each "shard" (as Dean calls them) should have its own set of credentials for login.  You wouldn't want someone with login credentials for one shard being able to log in and alter data on another shard (read:server).  That being the case, when they re-did the database yesterday along with the patch they likely made a mistake on the permissions settings in the hive shards for the affected servers.  So what happens is, server restarts, tries to log in to its assigned shard in the hive, and cannot do so due to incorrect permissions or credentials, which leads to servers not being able to write any data to it, therefore explaining why characters and items are not saving.  It will be a great deal of work for them to go through and verify the settings on all the shards, most likely taking close to the full two hours to do it all and then verify.

Then again, I could be totally wrong.  But based on what I know about SQL, administrating DayZ servers, and everything I've read from Rocket and the GSPs this makes the most sense.  It's an easy mistake to make and SQL can be very unforgiving when you screw the pooch.

It has already been confirmed, its not a bug in the patch, server or DB.

Its a "unknown" communications issue, most likely caused by a misconfiguration of the OS.

At least thats how ive understood it so far, based on theese statements, by Rocket:

Servers can be set to work on a shard (a "walled garden" of the main database). This means that the server, in effect, is running on a separate hive (database) - even though that hive exists in the same database as all the others. It allows us to "support" private hives without the difficulty associated with running multiple databases. Currently we are running two shards, regular and hardcore. If the server hoster incorrectly configure their server, it will screw up and create it's own shard. Most of the servers in this list, however, have OS problems that are causing interruptions to HTTPS communication with the central server : thus they are not correctly saving/loading.

Nearly always this is because of a particular operating system configuration (lacking updates). More rarely it is because the server had not been whitelisted or it has issues in its mission/setting configuration. 

• Like 1

We are having the same problems on our server also.

Server IP: 173.199.102.208

Port: 21

Server Name: 30 Players Dayz Standalone (Bloody Bucket Brigade 3PP:On)

Rent the server from gameservers.com

Edited by Svayioh

Yeah - good point. this whole change of the steam name thing I wasn't aware of, I'll check with Brian and let you know.

I had a similar issue BUT i use a single Steam, Single Computer, and i am the only one playing, but when i logged into my steam and accesed the game the same way as i always do, my name was changed to USER (computer name) and i lost everything. it logged into a separate account or sumthing relateing to the computer rather then steam i believe.

I'm glad you work so hard to make the game work for us players. :)

So just a quick question.. when I joined a server with connection issues and played a character there I will lose this character and have to start with a new one right?

Best Regards

Terminatus

Anyone know of a server that has no problems connecting to the hive? I want to see if my survivor survived the update... Or is the whole hive down?

This has always been the case for the Arma games aswell, so i think its intentional mate.

Every new name, creates a new profile folder, with new configs :)

I am not sure if they want it like this in DayZ, but im quite sure thats the reason for this happening :)

Except when you create a new profile in Arma II or 3 it creates it in the other profiles folder. This new system puts it in the DayZ folder. With no new folder.

I had a similar issue BUT i use a single Steam, Single Computer, and i am the only one playing, but when i logged into my steam and accesed the game the same way as i always do, my name was changed to USER (computer name) and i lost everything. it logged into a separate account or sumthing relateing to the computer rather then steam i believe.

You don't actually lose anything. Just browse to Mydocs/dayz other profiles, and open up your previous name. cfg and copy paste it into the new cfg file in the mydocs/dayz folder

Anyone know of a server that has no problems connecting to the hive? I want to see if my survivor survived the update... Or is the whole hive down?

Yes, pretty much all of them except the ones Rocket mentioned.

Edited by Irenicus
  • Like 2

So I have now like 2 characters?

one on the servers that are connected to the central hive and one on the servers with connection issues right?

And I will lose my character on the connection issues servers?

Terminatus

Except when you create a new profile in Arma II or 3 it creates it in the other profiles folder. This new system puts it in the DayZ folder. With no new folder.

Ahh i misunderstood, yes that seems like an unintended side effect mate :)

My character is gone, he's just plain simple gone, he didn't get shot, he didn't get jumped by zombies, he just vanished, no amount of reconnecting and changing file names have fixed that. He might still be somewhere on the hive but I can't get him back.

Now:

Edited by RC_Robio

It's Alpha and databse is the gameservers host not being able to connect to the hive. And this is not the place for your rant. This is for people that have problems with the servers to report them. Maybe you should have read the warning and not bought the game.

Can someone may answer my question? :/

^^

the servers with this connection issue dont save the characters as far as i know. so you will lose that character as soon as you leave that server

We provide the central server architecture, which approved server hosters are allowed to access and provide servers. The servers that are paid for by Bohemia (Multiplay Servers) are all working correctly, and we ensure this as we have direct access to them.

These are IP's for Multiplay servers(Or so they say in the name) that fresh spawn me everytime i join.

27:50:72:162:2502

216:185:114:87:2502