rocket

Servers with connection issues to central hive

Edit: You really really may want to have them bring down the servers and roll the characters back to just before the maintenance. If, as I assume when the servers reconnect to the hive players playing with a new character will over-right their old character.... 

How does one "roll back the characters"?

Character data is stored in a database, centrally, across all servers. There are three databases, one massive cluster (Stable), two small (Experimental & Internal Development). When you character updates, that update is saved to the database. It does not log previous states, only current states. To log previous states for every change would result in terabytes of data being stored constantly.

Even if such a thing were possible, we would not only be rolling back the characters on that server, but everyones characters - because characters are not specified to a single server. Furthermore, we can't do such a thing live, so we would have to stop the whole network and all game servers, do the update, and then roll the network back up. The moment the network is dropped, the fastest we have been able to get it back up is three hours.

• Like 2

the servers with this connection issue dont save the characters as far as i know. so you will lose that character as soon as you leave that server

my character is saved on the servers... ^^ so i can change between some server and have a good equiped character (alsways the same character) and on other servers i spawn as a Bambi

Hello Rocket , here is my server @ gameserver.com   173.199.75.112  (can also be found by searching "Division Alpha Day24/7" )

This server has the fresh spawn bug 100% of the time since the last patch , could you please take a look at it , and tell me what i can do (if anything 0 to fix it ... or should I cancel it and get a refund from gameserver and buy a server with a better server provider ?  

thx for any info or help 

Luke

Edited by SleepyLuke

This hive-connecting-issue is, as you pointed out, related to server-OSses not being up to date most of the time. Isn´t that all about unaware server-hosters, who are supposed keep servers up to date? Seems this is backfiring now a little bit.

The only remaining serious issue appears to be complex routing. When routing is complex the central server cannot securely communicate with the server(s) and the messages get lost.

If we allowed public hosting of servers right now the problem would be orders of magnitude worse, because we would have no control over the servers at all. Right now, we can order the providers to stop/start as needed and we only have to liaise with a handful of people to do such a thing.

The problem is not as simple as "server hosters" screwing up or anything, the hosting of a dayz server is constantly changing. This is a good education why we have not allowed private servers to be hosted. It's so complex at the moment that even major hosting providers are having problems. While you might be awesome enough to manage these, when we make private servers possible we don't get to screen who has access to it and who does not - we have to make it available to everyone. And people who's job it is to host game servers are having trouble, just how easy will it be for the public?

Once we have resolved all this in the future, then we can look at these things.

• Like 11

How does one "roll back the characters"?

Character data is stored in a database, centrally, across all servers. There are three databases, one massive cluster (Stable), two small (Experimental & Internal Development). When you character updates, that update is saved to the database. It does not log previous states, only current states. To log previous states for every change would result in terabytes of data being stored constantly.

Even if such a thing were possible, we would not only be rolling back the characters on that server, but everyones characters - because characters are not specified to a single server. Furthermore, we can't do such a thing live, so we would have to stop the whole network and all game servers, do the update, and then roll the network back up. The moment the network is dropped, the fastest we have been able to get it back up is three hours.

Thank you so much for the response. I was trying to look out for you. What happens to the characters that players in current games have when their server reconnects with the database? There have been servers up all the while during maintenance, does the database override the live server or will the live server push an update to the database? Or when you bring the database online does it force the servers to restart, thus using the databases character info?

Sory if this is confusing its very early am here :(

• Like 1

Take it they are still down? Darn't check >.<
Also thanks for keeping us updated and answering questions Rocket =)

Had an issue with a door earlier today just so you know couldn't walk though it as a bench was in the way :/
Also i had some athletic shoes spawned waist hight on a wall, either that or a ghost was hovering o.O

Do you have any plans to sort out loot that can not be reached at the moment bene plenty of times ive seen something i want but i just can not pick it up =(

Edited by xoligy

Rocket why does it say sks description added in changelog but no sks?

Because the SKS description has been added to the SKS, but it has not been added to the loot table yet because it wasn't finished.

Rocket why does it say sks description added in changelog but no sks?

Probably that's because they partially implement sks through multiple updates. Like geometry in one update, description in another, textures, mechanics and spawning are still on the way.

EDIT. Yep, rocket, you are really quick.

Edited by Ranadaine

Because the SKS description has been added to the SKS, but it has not been added to the loot table yet because it wasn't finished.

ok thankyou for quick reply

Can somebudy please tell me when ill get my gear back and not respawn every server i am?

Tank you!!  :D

Rocket i know this isnt a questionare and im sorry for continuously posting but will i ever be able to put my banana in my pistol holster?

• Like 2

Hey guys, 

My server IP: 173.199.80.130  is still having issues, any news on when this will be fixed?

I asked them too,no responce still.....

Hey guys, 

My server IP: 173.199.80.130  is still having issues, any news on when this will be fixed?

Have you contact to your server provider?

Hey guys, 

I also have posted my server id   173.199.75.112 , but i did not get a reply ? any info on what is the issue here would be helpful

thx

Edited by SleepyLuke

Is there any 24/7 Day servers? I try every server that has an Always Day or 24/7 Day title, but every one ive been on is always night, i havent been on a server in daytime in a week, ive killed at least 20 people in the dark, my screen is blurry from healing because i got shot and lost a ton of blood, but mostly recovered because the blurry is wearing off every time i log on, but still, its pretty sketchy roaming he airfields at night :(

When posting IP's, would be helpful to include the server provider if possible.

• Like 1

173.199.110.16   From Gameservers.com

The only remaining serious issue appears to be complex routing. When routing is complex the central server cannot securely communicate with the server(s) and the messages get lost.

Once we have resolved all this in the future, then we can look at these things.

Thanks for pointing out. In your OP I read it as "wow those guys didn´t keep their systems up to date and now we´re all screwed".

And hey... I maybe awesome enough to keep a single server away from harm but managing hundreds is truely like herding cats. I don´t envy the admins in my company.

Just for the tech-pr0n. How big is the database right now at its current state?

hello Rocket .. i did include the server provider in my first post honest ... but here it is again buddy gameserver.com 173.199.75.116   

please help

I think at this point its confirmed that GameServers is the host with all the issues. I suggest all server owners contact them and paypal to get your money back from them.

Is there any 24/7 Day servers? I try every server that has an Always Day or 24/7 Day title, but every one ive been on is always night, i havent been on a server in daytime in a week, ive killed at least 20 people in the dark, my screen is blurry from healing because i got shot and lost a ton of blood, but mostly recovered because the blurry is wearing off every time i log on, but still, its pretty sketchy roaming he airfields at night :(

How do you play at night , i dont see anything at all. i just have a black screen. for me it is impossible to play at night.