gibonez

Lets talk about 22. lr

22lr is good for everything from zombie killing = low noise, head shots

To player killing with well aimed shots.

Not against other players with high cal guns. Your gonna die hard and fast.

Againts animals most certainly yes!

Againts zombies, maybe. I still would prefer a 9mm in that situation!

Againts humans with larger cal = no!

:D

Edited by BigCountry

How could I miss this thread? This is what I posted yesterday in the Weapon Survey:

I voted for this:

6ZLTU5W.jpg

Karabiner-Selbstlader Josef-Landmann-Preetz Mod. 65
Semi auto rifle (convertible). They were made in .22LR (lfb) and .22 magnum calibre.
It was very popular in Germany in the seventies before it was banned as an "Anscheinswaffe" a gun that looks like a military weapon. It was used by the german RAF and irish IRA, converted to full auto.
The receiver is made of zamac, barrel is removable.

You could mail order this in the 70s. I guess quite many are around as collectors weapons. It's a relatively silent gun and very accurate.

Lovely to read all that was said about the .22 calibre. It says in my description that this gun was also available as magnum type. >:(

Which is the forth smallest on this pic posted earlier:

jufnut.jpg

This is a gun with a bloodied, dark history. On the other hand this confirms its deadliness, which is a good source of motivation to use it in a game against zeds. B)

There were 10, 20 and 30 shot mags for it and it could be converted to full auto.

EDIT: Found more info on it. The gun was apparently used in the second Bond movie.

And, according to a poster in a german gun-forum, it is easy to fit a silencer on the cylindrical barrel extension and that one could remove the barrel by taking out a pin.

Which is, he writes, what the RAF did.

This and a prio of CZ over their american counterparts are my only wishes for the game.

For pistols that should definitely be the CZ75 (according to Wikipedia it's the most popular gun in the Chech Republic).

IMO the guns availability should follow a halfway decent storyboard. For example it is thinkable that Chernarus was totally overwhelmed with getting the virus under control because its own military got sick and that there was an international/NATO attempt to get it under control.

So, some military guns could actually have reached that relatively rural part of the world, but I hope they'll remain very rare.

Not necessarily for the primary purpose of realism, but most of all for fun.

Edited by Grabarz

.22lr is a terrible round, period. The only reason I could ever see a justification for adding it is for hunting small game, I.e. using a 308 on a rabbit or squirrel will ruin most of the meat. Outside of hunting small game there is no reason for it to be added, especially considering all the weapons from the vanilla mod that should be added first.

If they do add the .22lr they should make it pathetic on players and zombies, as in if you dont hit them in the eyes temples or heart t shouldnt do any damage, just make you bleed.

Not against other players with high cal guns. Your gonna die hard and fast.

Againts animals most certainly yes!

Againts zombies, maybe. I still would prefer a 9mm in that situation!

Againts humans with larger cal = no!

:D

Like all situations it all comes down to the player who is the more accurate player, who gets the jump on who.

I rather have a .22lr and have the jump on the player than the other way around. 22 to head is all you need.

• Like 1

Most of you guys commenting how 22LR is a puny round and ineffective probably don't own any guns in real life. 22LR is responsible for the most deaths in the United States. 

Go figure. 

Now, i'm not saying it's ideal, but neither is a baseball bat or a hatchet. 

Most of you guys commenting how 22LR is a puny round and ineffective probably don't own any guns in real life. 22LR is responsible for the most deaths in the United States. 

Go figure. 

Now, i'm not saying it's ideal, but neither is a baseball bat or a hatchet. 

Yeah, maybe tl;dr? :huh: This thread is full with information that proves the contrary.

Did you guys read what I wrote about the history of the gun I just posted?

If you have doubts, you can also watch the video on .22 firepower earlier in this thread.

This caliber can certainly kill not only with headshots.

I'm all for smaller caliber instead of everyone running around with "big fucking gun".

The purpose of this game should be to survive with whatever you find, not to blow every other zed's and person's bits to Mars.

Of course a .22 is not the strongest, but good for "emergencies".

Once the hordes of zombies roam the streets in masses in a later version of the game, we'll probably rarely use guns or if so for self-defense against other players at close range. :o

Which is I think what it comes down to: we'll have to wait to see where the devs take us before we can argue what the best weapon will be.

Where the game is now, we could all be as loud as we want, but I hope that'll change.

Apparently the gun I posted earlier is highly modable. Look at that retarted combination, lol:

fLN24xt.jpg

Edited by Grabarz

Yeah, maybe tl;dr? :huh: This thread is full with information that proves the contrary.

Did you guys read what I wrote about the history of the gun I just posted?

If you have doubts, you can also watch the video on .22 firepower earlier in this thread.

This caliber can certainly kill not only with headshots.

I'm all for smaller caliber instead of everyone running around with "big fucking gun".

The purpose of this game should be to survive with whatever you find, not to blow every other zed's and person's bits to Mars.

Of course a .22 is not the strongest, but good for "emergencies".

Once the hordes of zombies roam the streets in masses in a later version of the game, we'll probably rarely use guns or if so for self-defense against other players at close range. :o

Which is I think what it comes down to: we'll have to wait to see where the devs take us before we can argue what the best weapon will be.

Where the game is now, we could all be as loud as we want, but I hope that'll change.

Apparently the gun I posted earlier is highly modable. Look at that retarted combination, lol:

fLN24xt.jpg

What is that? An AR-7? I hardly recognize it and I own one of them. 

Methinks people are regurgitating a lot of very old, very unscientific, unsourced interwebz bollocks. Cite sources (even if you are the primary source) or at least have the decency to admit that you don't know where you heard this shite. It's not difficult.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866

Ellifritz_Rnds_to_Incap.png

This is including hits that struck anywhere on the body though. I think the graph that shows the number of accurate shots, those that struck the head or torso, is much more telling. In that situation the rifle and shotgun were shown to be much more likely to cause immediate incapicitation, with just one shot fired.

Also, a problem with this data is that the conditions under which each shooting incident occured are unkown. It's entirely possible that in a lot of the cases the weapons were not used at their effetive ranges etc. Would make a huge difference in how efficient they were at taking people down.

Just as far as animals go, and yah wanting to be realistic, a .22 is a bit light for bovines(cows), and pigs (fine for sheep and goats) Ive killed heaps o em with them irl, true... but thats by putting the barrel on the brain stem, or the magic dot on their fore head, but its the size o a quarter.. Miss that, and it might knock them out, but more likely it will just piss them off. Even in the right place, it had better be with supersonic ammo, and solids.

Ive gone off using a .22 for putting cows down now, i use a .270, or .303... it just dosnt cut it for big animals.

And .22s are very limited range wise, ive seen a few comments about the 100 plus meters... and yea, you can kill rabbits , or even goats out past 100 with them, and a person is a lot bigger, but they are dropping over a foot at 100 in my experience (zeroed at 50, you shoot above a bunnies ears at 100) But its highly variable, wind can blow it feet at that range, and it can drop another six inches with different weather conditions, it should be shooting about a 30cm group at 100 in mild wind... at 25 they can shoot inside a 1cm.

Dont get me wrong, i like .22s, but they should factor in its weakness... which is its too light and tooo slow for any consistency at range.

Im sure most of us have .22s, this should be pretty common knowledge.

If they do add the .22lr they should make it pathetic on players and zombies, as in if you dont hit them in the eyes temples or heart t shouldnt do any damage, just make you bleed.

This is by far the most idiotic thing I've read today

it would be the weapon of choice for killing boars/cow/sheep/rabbit in dayz sa no doubt. those were the 4 animals that were in dayzmod if i recall. far as zombie and human hunting, let's all be honest here. noone is going to use a 22 cal gun over a 9mm+ lol

I would .

I would need accuracy to get the shot placement right and I would get that with a 22lr rifle and not a 9mm pistol.

id like to see them add fixed spawns, loot respawning so you can stop server hopping for gear

@ R.J.   If your ruger mark II \ ruger mark III pistol is jamming on you then you are doing it wrong.  Try cleaning it or not using garbage ammo. 

They do seem to be quite sensitive to dirt, especially in cold weather. But if they're kept clean and lubed, they're indestructible, plus nice and accurate. Not quite as good for target shooting as a dedicated target pistol, but good enough. I used one for a while, but now I've got a french Unique DES-69U. Much easier to shoot.

Anyway, if we do get some .22 pistols, either the Mk II or the Smith & Wesson Model 14 (yes, that's a revolver)  would probably be good choices. Both are cheap, reliable guns that are widespread among casual target shooters across the world.

Just as far as animals go, and yah wanting to be realistic, a .22 is a bit light for bovines(cows), and pigs (fine for sheep and goats) Ive killed heaps o em with them irl, true... but thats by putting the barrel on the brain stem, or the magic dot on their fore head, but its the size o a quarter.. Miss that, and it might knock them out, but more likely it will just piss them off. Even in the right place, it had better be with supersonic ammo, and solids.

Ive gone off using a .22 for putting cows down now, i use a .270, or .303... it just dosnt cut it for big animals.

And .22s are very limited range wise, ive seen a few comments about the 100 plus meters... and yea, you can kill rabbits , or even goats out past 100 with them, and a person is a lot bigger, but they are dropping over a foot at 100 in my experience (zeroed at 50, you shoot above a bunnies ears at 100) But its highly variable, wind can blow it feet at that range, and it can drop another six inches with different weather conditions, it should be shooting about a 30cm group at 100 in mild wind... at 25 they can shoot inside a 1cm.

Dont get me wrong, i like .22s, but they should factor in its weakness... which is its too light and tooo slow for any consistency at range.

Im sure most of us have .22s, this should be pretty common knowledge.

True, .22LR guns aren't very accurate at range, the round is simply too slow and light. Within its useful range, though, it does hurt. And since it SHOULD be easier to suppress than bigger rounds, it would be perfect for hunting small game (and for frustrating would-be hunters who don't care about shot placement and take shots from too far out :)) and popping the occasional zombie from 50-100m. Just remember to aim high - a .22LR can drop 10-15cm at 100m...

Also, if we're talking pistols, you have to remember that any handgun, no matter what the caliber, is not the best way to kill people or animals. They simply don't do enough damage consistently to reliably drop a living target. If you really want to kill someone or something, use a rifle. 

Edited by Rickenbacker

I'll just leave that there. There is nothing inherently inaccurate about .22 lr. It has limitations, but accuracy per se isn't one of them. At least, not within the skill level of most shooters. Kirsten Joy Weiss or Tarl Kempley might have room to complain, but most of us do not.

I'll just leave that there. There is nothing inherently inaccurate about .22 lr. It has limitations, but accuracy per se isn't one of them. At least, not within the skill level of most shooters. Kirsten Joy Weiss or Tarl Kempley might have room to complain, but most of us do not.

Im sure if you mount a 40 moa base on a good 22 lr rifle along with a good set of optics with alot of elevation adjustments you could probably hit much further than 600m.

I heard or remember reading that the max range on a 22lr is something like a mile.

Im sure if you mount a 40 moa base on a good 22 lr rifle along with a good set of optics with alot of elevation adjustments you could probably hit much further than 600m.

I heard or remember reading that the max range on a 22lr is something like a mile.

This is probably a good time to point out the difference between maximum distance and maximum effective range. The only example I can recall off the top of my head is the MK19, which (according to Uncle Sugar) has a maximum effective range of 1500 yards, but a maximum distance of like 2300 yards. Of course, the MK-19 isn't the best example because it's a plunging fire weaon with explosive rounds, but you get the idea and I can't remember any others. :D

• Like 1

Exactly 032125.

The effective range of a 6.5x55 is commonly believed to be around 1500 yards (1.3 Km) But various stray shots has been reported to land lethal at ranges up to 6000-7000 yards ( 5-6 Km )

Most recently a farmer was shot a few years back by a stray 6.5x55 hunting round at  aprox. 4500 yards (3.6 Km) But no one can accurately aim that round at such a distance. 

You aint gonna make no 1000+ meter shots with a .22

how about some L1A1 SLR 7.62mm goodness. my dad's favourite rifle.

or the Bren Lmg. also 7.62mm.  which as far as I can work out. pre the british introduction to the SA80, 7.62mm was more or less the standard round size for a very long time (in the Uk)

• Like 2

I want to make a couple points, because I managed to read through this garbage until around page 7 and decided to stop because I only saw about 3 people who knew what they were talking about:

- 22lr is for small animals and target shooting because the rounds are so relatively inexpensive.  It is not a self defense round.

- The cranial plates are incredibly resilient.  A 22lr would barely penetrate, and if it did, it would only be able to do so at very particular angles and locations.

- The 22lr does not "bounce around" inside someone.  The thoracic area inside a human is not one giant pleural cavity.  A projectile traveling through ballistics gel shows the approximated terminal distance the projectile will travel from entry to dead stop.  Since very few of you seem to have even a fundamental concept of human anatomy, I'll break this down:  the projectile will be traveling through solid organs (with small exceptions such as the stomach) for the duration of its journey through the thoracic region.  The projectile would also lose a tremendous amount of kinetic energy every time something altered its direction, and thus, velocity.

- The people here who don't know what they are talking about are the idiots who have this obsession with the notion that "headshots are lethal."  Nothing could be further from the truth, and to subscribe to that belief indicates that your knowledge comes exclusively from videogames and movies, in which case shut up and listen to those of us who know what we are talking about.

There is so much garbage in this thread, it's nauseating.

Personally, I hope that an accurate ballistic representation of a 22lr is added to the game.  22lr is incredibly fun to shoot, because you can shoot it so much without hurting your wallet, but it is a last resort calibre for combat situations, particularly in a civilian environment.  It would primarily be used for hunting small mammals.  You can say "well this group or that group use it," but I'm fairly sure that we don't spawn in DayZ as world class marksman who find $3,000 rifles with a $2,000 scope laying in someone's master bedroom, so your argument is completely irrelevant.

Just as I would grab my M&P40 or 1911 over my friends P238, I would grab a .308 or 5.56 over a .22 any day.  It is not a matter of opinion: .22 is not a powerful round.

Here's a good chart for enthusiasts who may not be very familiar with the .22lr

http://www.gunsmoke.com/guns/1022/images/22_subsonic_table.gif

There are charts and tables for almost every calibre known to man, so go do some comparisons if you want to see the deficiency of this small varmint round in defense applications.

• Like 4

This game is currently missing entry-level pistols and rifles, and the .22LR brings that to the table, especially in civilian form.  Also, even though Chernarus is eastern bloc, limiting guns and accessories to what was available in that locale is a huge mistake - it's not like we have anywhere else to play.  Plus, Chernarus to most players is just some random zombie world.  An excellent point for implementing the .22LR is that it's extremely inexpensive and low-weight cartridge compared to other rifle rounds.  A 550-round bulk box is around $20 and weighs only a couple pounds. at roughly a 3"x3"x3" cube.  It should be very common in civilian houses, and would be a fall-back weapon where ammo is plentiful.  Everyone should have access to it relatively easily to reduce the need for DayZ's clunky melee system.

Given the bullet drop and loss in velocity/energy over very short distances, especially in short barrels, the .22LR is a short range weapon (not very useful or easy to use at 150+ yards, especially in moderate wind).

Here's the short list of .22LR firearms and accessories I'd like to see:

Ruger 10/22 (both in blued and stainless base model receivers/barrels)

Ruger 10/22 Charger (simply a Ruger 10/22 with pistol stock and 10" bull barrel)

- These two should spawn separately, but can be configured as the other by finding the appropriate stock and barrel:

- Stock cusomization: Sporter stock, folding stock, Charger pistol stock, bullpup stock, adjustable stock (Bell & Carlson Odyssey for example), Ruger SR-22 "AR-style", etc.

- Barrel options: Sporter, Bull, Bull Fluted, 10", 16", 20" versions, 1:16", 1:9" twist rates (1:16" is standard for std/high velocity ammo, 1:9" is needed to stabilize the 60gr subsonic ammo), integrally-suppressed 16", threaded & non-threaded versions.

- They both use the Ruger 10/22 10-round magazine and Ruger BX-25 25-round magazine.

- Bipods are useful, as are red dot and small scopes.

Ruger MKIII pistol.  I own a highly customized one that has virtually *zero* recoil because it weighs more than my Glocks and HKs and uses a compensator.  it's also a bigger handgun than a Desert Eagle .50.

- Also integrated suppressor version available.

- Volthane grip for stability.

- Compensator to reduce recoil to virtually zero.

Ruger 77/22 bolt action rifle.  Also highly common/popular.

CZ 512 semi-auto rifle.

CZ 455 bolt action rifle.

Henry lever action rifle.

Henry AR-7 survival rifle.

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 semi-auto rifle.  Very similar to AR-15 in appearance and can be customized like one (grip, stock, rails, etc).

Smith & Wesson 617 10-round revolver

Smith & Wesson M41 (perhaps the finest .22LR handgun - used in competition shooting)

Anschutz 22 bolt-action rifle (perhaps the finest .22LR rifle - used in competition shooting)

Walther P22 pistol. (Very common)

Winchester 190 (Very common & inexpensive, and uses a 16-round tubular magazine)

(Other than the S&W 15-22, I'm omitting the .22LR clones that are copies of other guns, such as the Umarex MP5 models.)

There are a lot of comments regarding the .22LR's lethality.  No, it's not a .50BMG.  It's not a 5.56x45.  It's not even a .22 Magnum.  However, it has been used for killing with either proper shot placement on unarmored targets or by punching multiple holes in someone.  Can a headshot kill?  Given a high deflection angle at close enough rage, headwear, along with bone thickness at entry point (eye, throat, mouth, temple), absolutely.  Will it always kill with a headshot?  Hell no.  Frequently, at low deflection angles, it will ricochet off the skull.  The ammo should be plentiful.  The purpose of the .22LR weapons would be to provide civilian weapons that are easily found in residential areas as either starter weapons or for those looking for a challenge.

Edited by codeX*
  • Like 2