yotimmyg@gmail.com

Ok i get it.. its alpha.. but this is worse than the mod.

How can the dev's state thats its an alpha and immediately charge £20 / $30? 

Why not do a free alpha?

Not only does it make the project financially viable, but it means those participating in the alpha are those who have made a financial commitment. It also limits the numbers to those willing to part with their hard earned cash.

Obviously you may disagree with this reasoning but luckily they're not forcing you to buy it. And, to the contrary, are advising you don't.

So I´ve been waiting for the Standalone for over a year now and this is my honest opinion.

This does not look like 12 month of professional development because:

- They already had a game engine

- They already had a map

- They already had experience with the mod

- They must have earned good money from the mod induced Arma sales so that can`t be an excuse

All of those 4 points should have made it easier for them to build a better product.

My criticism:

- Rocket said that they would charge 13 bucks or so for the game, yet they`re charging 24 Euro for an alpha

- At this stage the game isn`t really that much better than the mod

- The controls, OMG the controls. Precision is non existent and it feels like there is a permanent 2 sec lag.

- Negative mouse acceleration, seriousely Rocket? 3 days ago you wrote that you would look into this issue. Didn`t you notice this the first time you played Arma? Why wasn`t this first on your "to fix list"?

- I can`t see any explicit mechanic, that would prevent this from becoming a deathmatch

- There are tons of issues that don`t need a public alpha to be noticed by the devs

- Fixing this game will take at least another year and I´m not even talking about implementing some awesome features, only fixing it as it is now.

- Fixing + implementing the promised features will take 2 years

People need to stop bringing the alpha excuse to EVERYTHING. The alpha excuse works with a small dev team with limited funding building a totally new engine, maps and game mechanics.

Notice that I didn`t even mention the typical alpha issues in my criticism.

All those alpha excuse people were the reason why Warz devs earned millions with the worst game in recorded history.

So Rocket, I´m guessing that the mod already brought millions and now the alpha alone already made 4-6 million bucks.

Are you going use that money to fix this game like yesterday?

Because if development continues at the same pace, this whole thing will either flop or only be just another average game.

This is a troll post. Too much bad information for it to be real. The other conclusion that could be drawn is that there is a reading comprehension issue, but the writing is passable so I'm going to settle with troll.

Edited by AnarchyBrownies

This is a troll post. Too much bad information for it to be real. The other conclusion that could be drawn is that there is a reading comprehension issue, but the writing is passable so I'm going to settle with troll.

You use a term like 'bad information' without specifying exactly what it was he said that was bad. Cannot contruct valid counter-argument and therefore calls troll.

Btw. The definition of a "Standalone Title" is: "You can play it without any other game bought."

stand·a·lone

adj.
Self-contained and usually independently operating: i.e a standalone computer terminal.

This game is operating on the same mechanics as the ARMA games, on one ARMA2 map that is 4 years old. It has in no way shape or form been built from the ground up, ergo not a 'standalone' title. I dont care what it says on the box.

Edited by Gator Biggs

Dean Hall bit off more than he could chew and he knows it.... his vision was not realised because no1 working for him respected him and his foolish notions of design and developement.... He had a good run.. he got paid a lot, he is not a leader.. gratz to him for dragging it out for a year... I know i paid $30... so hatz off to the kiwi. Now please disappear.

I hope however that I am entirely wrong and you dig this god awful alpha out of the deep hole it is in.... the Execs must of insisted you release this bag of crap.   #warz

I've had a really shit week and therefore this will be reflected in what I say to you,

You are a massive cock

• Like 2

stand·a·lone

adj.
Self-contained and usually independently operating: i.e a standalone computer terminal.

This game is operating on the same mechanics as the ARMA games, on one ARMA2 map that is 4 years old. It has in no way shape or form been built from the ground up, ergo not a 'standalone' title. I dont care what it says on the box.

Funny how you post an exact definition and ignore the meaning of it.  As it says. It operates on his own. It does not need anything else to operate, because all it needs is shipped with the software. It does NOT matter, if the parts are developed for something else. You would say a table is not a standalone system, because it contains a screw that is not specifically manufactured only for this table. If you continue to argue against this, I won't answer. 

stand·a·lone

adj.

It is not called standalone... It´s called DayZ.

bf2 operating on the same mechanics as bf1... bf3 and bf4...

You use a term like 'bad information' without specifying exactly what it was he said that was bad. Cannot contruct valid counter-argument and therefore calls troll.

Comon, as critic that a game in alpha need fixes/time and so on, I loled. Counter-argument this shit? lol

Edited by NoCheats

The Testers were the hangers on, Mods for the Forums ( could be considered the same ), some youtubers and close friends  etc . Hardly objective and at times probably questionable how big a Gamer they are even, although will talk themselves up. However i dont beleive the testers are responsible for anything.  Patience is what is required with any Alpha if you have none, ALPHA is a place ya just dont want to be

Well I had a long reply all ready but then realized it wasn't worth the effort for someone who was being critical without having any information on development.

I mean someone who leads with "They already had a game engine," definitely looks like a troll. Why would I give a detailed response and put in all that effort for someone who's just trying to create hostility? If they're legit and want a proper response then they can ask for one.

The Testers were the hangers on, Mods for the Forums ( could be considered the same ), some youtubers and close friends  etc . Hardly objective and at times probably questionable how big a Gamer they are even, although will talk themselves up. However i dont beleive the testers are responsible for anything.  Patience is what is required with any Alpha if you have none, ALPHA is a place ya just dont want to be

Welcome back to the forums.

• Like 1

It is not called standalone... It´s called DayZ.

bf2 operating on the same mechanics as bf1... bf3 and bf4...

So a year and a half in development, only in alpha.. Dean Hall reckons another year at least before beta. They didn't have to build the core mechanics, engine etc and definetely didn't build a map save for making buildings enterable. They've basically upgraded a mod, of an existing game.. a sequel, no less.

Love all the little animations, opening a bottle looks great, as does the compass. Nice sun glare effect. Shame about the bare bones of the game.

Still agreeing with OP.. game still worse than the mod it was based on.. except no longer free.

Dean Hall bit off more than he could chew and he knows it.... his vision was not realised because no1 working for him respected him and his foolish notions of design and developement.... He had a good run.. he got paid a lot, he is not a leader.. gratz to him for dragging it out for a year... I know i paid $30... so hatz off to the kiwi. Now please disappear.

I hope however that I am entirely wrong and you dig this god awful alpha out of the deep hole it is in.... the Execs must of insisted you release this bag of crap.   #warz

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.j

So a year and a half in development, only in alpha.. Dean Hall reckons another year at least before beta. They didn't have to build the core mechanics, engine etc and definetely didn't build a map save for making buildings enterable. They've basically upgraded a mod, of an existing game.. a sequel, no less.

Love all the little animations, opening a bottle looks great, as does the compass. Nice sun glare effect. Shame about the bare bones of the game.

Still agreeing with OP.. game still worse than the mod it was based on.. except no longer free.

I think it was wrong to get the game assuming it would be better than the mod. It is very much bare bones, as you acknowledge, so no one should have expected a better experience, especially when zombies have barely been implemented. All the warnings screamed that it wouldn't live up to people's expectations if they were thinking it was going to be some fantastic upgrade. I already like it quite a bit and I can't wait to see what happens when they start implementing all the features they want (especially increased zombie count/better zombie activity!),

So it's of no significance to say the mod is better. The point wasn't to release a better alpha than the mod, the point was to release an alpha to test the foundation of the game so that game defining features could be built on to it. You sound like a prime candidate for someone who should have listened to the warnings for not getting the game. I don't mean that in an insulting way at all but your expectations sound way out of line with the reality we were told DayZ was going to be and it seems like you were already disappointed with the cost to begin with. I'm not sure what enticed you to get it.

Just realized you said "a year and a half in development" as well. Which is completely false. A year at most for the standalone. You seem to want to count from when the mod was released. As far as development goes, the mod is a COMPLETELY different project.

And you have still no idea what you are talking about. I will repeat it until you stop repeating your waste of time.

Hope you agree that the finished product will be better than the mod. And it is worth the 24€.

Shure, I can´t wait for cars, choppers, boats, utes, tents, baisbuilding etc also.

But I enjoy the new map, the map is awesome... The new equip system. The medic system etc...

So don´t troll a masterpiece in alpha.

The SA is fine. It's a solid foundation and I'm perfectly fine with it and excited about its future. However, I do believe Dean should have sold the rights to it to a more capable developer and ceased to have anything to do with the project. What has he got to offer to the game? Is he the best programmer? Is he the ultimate visionary? I don't think so.  Dayz is a huge title with hundreds of thousands of copies sold already and a tiny team is working on it. It's ridiculous.

Edited by JohnF30
  • Like 1

guys i just wanted to point out why alpha is so tits

FROM THE NEW UPDATE

"

• Design: players who disconnect when unconscious will die
  • Design: players who disconnect when restrained will die
  • New weapon: Magnum .357 Revolver + ammo
"

hoestly, finally seeing our complaints come to fruition is a great feeling.
Just reading these 3 lines makes me very anxious to play the new update and i know im going to destroy my friday night on SA due to these 3 lines haha.

exciting!

NOW, rocket, just add a loot timer respawn and server hopping deterant and were done lol

If you continue to argue against this, I won't answer.

And you have still no idea what you are talking about. I will repeat it until you stop repeating your waste of time.

Which is it gonna be?

I think it was wrong to get the game assuming it would be better than the mod. It is very much bare bones, as you acknowledge, so no one should have expected a better experience, especially when zombies have barely been implemented. All the warnings screamed that it wouldn't live up to people's expectations if they were thinking it was going to be some fantastic upgrade. I already like it quite a bit and I can't wait to see what happens when they start implementing all the features they want (especially increased zombie count/better zombie activity!),

So it's of no significance to say the mod is better. The point wasn't to release a better alpha than the mod, the point was to release an alpha to test the foundation of the game so that game defining features could be built on to it. You sound like a prime candidate for someone who should have listened to the warnings for not getting the game. I don't mean that in an insulting way at all but your expectations sound way out of line with the reality we were told DayZ was going to be and it seems like you were already disappointed with the cost to begin with. I'm not sure what enticed you to get it.

Just realized you said "a year and a half in development" as well. Which is completely false. A year at most for the standalone. You seem to want to count from when the mod was released. As far as development goes, the mod is a COMPLETELY different project.

Thanks for at least responding in a respectful manner.

Yeah you're probably right that I expected a little more, at first. Im disappointed to say the least. At no point have I complained about bugs, character wipes or whatever else usually plagues an alpha at this stage in development because I understand what I was buying into. If anything, i'd rather buy a £20 alpha build with potential, even if it falls flat on its face.. than a £40 full release thats falls way below expectations. My issue is that the game doesn't seem to be nearly as much of an improvement over the mod given the time it's taken.

It just reinforces the niggling feeling to me that the mod kinda 'got lucky' if that makes sense, right place, right time. There wasn't much like it at the time and its popularity snowballed massively. I honestly think it should have been left as what it was, not cashed in on.

I think this should never have been a paid alpha, maybe waited til just before beta I guess. Also think Hall announced the standalone a little too early.. Development has been plagued with hurdles, complications and expectations too high / interest waned / frustrations grown. At least on my part anyways.

inb4 "well don't play if you don't like it" etc.

Rocket has always been either mountain climbing, snowboarding or having a nervous breakdown, I've never actually noticed HIM do anything for this project, it's always been his teeny tiny team who secretly hate him anyway (so no wonder it's shit). This project, this release, has and always will be about making money out of naive fan boy mugs, such as you lot. It's never been about the quality or keeping up with their promises.  

Say whatever you like, I know that you feel robbed and wish you hadn't spent that money now.  You do, admit it.  Nah, you won't admit it, that'll just make you look dumber than you were when you parted with the cash in the first place.. haha! good luck with your crappy "forever unfinished" game! 

We all know that there's a better game on the market, just waiting to be announced.  

Why else would they prematurely release such a piece of crap? 

Think about ;)

Peace :)

I cant simpel take some of the people in here. 

Direct complains about how Dean "Rocket" Hall do with he's life "HE*S FUCKING LIFE"  its he's not yours in anyway if he feel for mountain climbing so be it you are not to tell what he should do or not.

Games:

Battlefield 3-4 

World of warcraft 2005 

sim city 2013 

League of legends before they splitted servers.

and many other games.

When they got full released they had problems with shut down not able to log on servers, que times over 9000 for weeks and months before adressed. 

Dayz Sa is a very smooth started up alpha compared to full released games. Sim city 2013 still have alot of problems remember that same with bf4. 

Dayz Sa have had a massive overhaul about its way it works. Like weather system in arma 2 the weather system between server and client would keep communicate between eachother to make sure u had the right weather the new system Server will tell ur client its raining and the client cant realy say anything agienst it as it could before. 

There is a complete optimazed system to handle massive load on loot,zombies,players the system is only in testing thats why its all in very small scale like not alot fo zombies and only 40 player servers. 

Loot is a work in progress first there is not added loot spawn points to all buildings yet the balance of loot is hard at the moment since they isnt alot of loot to fill the demands the dayz team could easy set the spawn rate down or up. 

And last. 

All talk about zombies is stupid since we have no idea of how the future zombies will look like. Rocket already adressed this issue. 

People who think its easy to make games should just go out and show it. Yes it took a year to get a alpha but its bloody hard work the way they did it.  They took a arma 2 engine and a take on helicopter mixed them together removed i guess more then 50k lines of code im amazed how its working. 

I would like last last, say that im a human and i can be wrong.

Which is it gonna be?

Yeah you're probably right that I expected a little more, at first. Im disappointed to say the least. At no point have I complained about bugs, character wipes or whatever else usually plagues an alpha at this stage in development because I understand what I was buying into. If anything, i'd rather buy a £20 alpha build with potential, even if it falls flat on its face.. than a £40 full release thats falls way below expectations. My issue is that the game doesn't seem to be nearly as much of an improvement over the mod given the time it's taken.

It just reinforces the niggling feeling to me that the mod kinda 'got lucky' if that makes sense, right place, right time. There wasn't much like it at the time and its popularity snowballed massively. I honestly think it should have been left as what it was, not cashed in on.

I think this should never have been a paid alpha, maybe waited til just before beta I guess. Also think Hall announced the standalone a little too early.. Development has been plagued with hurdles, complications and expectations too high / interest waned / frustrations grown. At least on my part anyways.

Please don't take my question offensively, but I was wondering how much of an improvement you think should have occurred over this period of time. What I mean is, give some examples? 

it's always been his teeny tiny team who secretly hate him anyway (so no wonder it's shit). This project, this release, has and always will be about making money out of naive fan boy mugs, such as you lot. It's never been about the quality or keeping up with their promises.  

Those two things, how did you conclude so?

Rocket has always been either mountain climbing, snowboarding or having a nervous breakdown, I've never actually noticed HIM do anything for this project, it's always been his teeny tiny team who secretly hate him anyway (so no wonder it's shit). This project, this release, has and always will be about making money out of naive fan boy mugs, such as you lot. It's never been about the quality or keeping up with their promises.  

Say whatever you like, I know that you feel robbed and wish you hadn't spent that money now.  You do, admit it.  Nah, you won't admit it, that'll just make you look dumber than you were when you parted with the cash in the first place.. haha! good luck with your crappy "forever unfinished" game! 

We all know that there's a better game on the market, just waiting to be announced.  

Why else would they prematurely release such a piece of crap? 

Think about ;)

Peace :)

Good post! Solid contribution! I feel sad that you won't be returning because you hate the game. Everyone will miss your valuable insights terribly.

I will just say that most of the time over the last year has been spent on the new architecture with the thought in mind that once they have a solid foundation they will be able to add a lot of features quickly and easily. The reason for so many warnings being given about paying for the game now was that a lot of the improvements were "under the hood." Now, at this point you are perhaps skeptical about that, or, like you said, think they should have held off. But I think they're pretty confident moving forward, I'm certainly looking forward to how this develops, and I hope in a few months you can say the same. You could always just forget about it and come back to it in a few months. It's unfortunate that you already paid for it but if it ends up being a decent game then at least you got it cheaper. I think in the end you'll be satisfied, even if you don't feel that way now. Hope so anyways!

Obviously you may disagree with this reasoning but luckily they're not forcing you to buy it. And, to the contrary, are advising you don't.

Granted I don`t know much about developing games but I´ve seen this before in warz. So excuse me for being cautious when I hear phrases like:

"It is high on our to do list", "We are looking into it"

or

when I hear promises of super awesome features and none of them are in-game yet.

or

when I watch the devs experiencing major issues during live streams and they act mildly surprised and say "we gotta look into that" right before they charge $30.

I have no doubt that Rocket and his team have good intentions and are working hard but it`s not enough.

Something is going wrong here, maybe they don`t have enough devs or maybe it`s the wrong engine, I don`t know.

The thing that everyone knows though is money, Bohemia is not here because some of us might have cancer and they want to entertain us for free.

The price difference between Dayz-alpha and Bf4 is only 10 euros, I have a bf4 code on my table right now that came with the graphics card I bought for Dayz but I´m not opening it because I don`t like it, I want Dayz.

I would love to be wrong about the next 2 years. Maybe they will fix the basics within the next 3 month and just slap the promised features on there and in that case I´d send them 50 euros more and post a topic on how wrong I was.

But you and I know that`s not going to happen, here is what will happen:

They will patch once or twice a week for the next 1-2 month or so, then the sales will start to decrease and so will the patches and this whole thing will drag for the next 2 years.

In those 2 years we will see die hard fanboys, haters, "alpha" squeakers etc...

So again, Rocket, pls prove me wrong and make me look like an ass so everyone can enjoy the game they`ve been waiting for so long.

• Like 1