SmashT

November Round-up

but Miffy is right to some extent. 

with all these Kickstarter and Greenlight games in the last years the lines seem to blurr more and more.

Although ppl see the games are basically unfinished/raw in the beginning they also see that many of these games more or less stay in a somewhat unfinished state. so kickstarter projects or something like the DayZ model are double-edged swords to me.

Alpha and Beta designations in the software development/release life cycles have pretty concrete definitions, whether other developers misuse the term or not.

Alpha consists of feature-incomplete builds before moving over to beta designation.

Beta is normally feature-complete but still contains optimisation and bug problems that have to be worked out before it moves on to RC then release.

Players need to understand that they are not paying to play the standalone yet, they are paying for early access to the TESTING phase and the standalone when it is complete.

• Like 1

Alpha and Beta designations in the software development/release life cycles have pretty concrete definitions, whether other developers misuse the term or not.

Alpha consists of feature-incomplete builds before moving over to beta designation.

Beta is normally feature-complete but still contains optimisation and bug problems that have to be worked out before it moves on to RC then release.

Players need to understand that they are not paying to play the standalone yet, they are paying for early access to the TESTING phase and the standalone when it is complete.

And to help test, to find bugs and to suggest things yet to be implemented.

Edited by Aporis

but it also opens doors for misuse (Hammerpoint). and a game like DayZ would be therefore (strictly using the terms as per definition) at least still a year or even more be in "alpha". so with greenlight and kickstarter you cannot really use the "usual" definitions for "alpha" or "beta" anymore in my opinion.

but it also opens doors for misuse (Hammerpoint). and a game like DayZ would be therefore (strictly using the terms as per definition) at least still a year or even more be in "alpha". so with greenlight and kickstarter you cannot really use the "usual" definitions for "alpha" or "beta" anymore in my opinion.

You are correct, it will be in alpha pass for a long, long time.

Just because other studios are abusing the terms doesn't mean you should just accept the misuse.

Most Greenlight and Kickstarter games are and will be in alpha phase for a long time, a lot of them are far from completed - Kickstarter especially.

The inventory would be better if it was more like in Arma 3. Now when you split 10 ammo half the ammo takes double the space when in Arma 3 style there's no slots because everything is counted how much room they take and that way 2x5 bullets would take as much space as 10 bullets.

Still not convinced that the forests are passable yet, yes pre-Alpha and whatnot. I understand some work has bee devoted to their improvement, but they still (from what I'm seeing in the stream) look like heightmaps with colonnades of trees attached. There might be some improvements, but it's very minor.

it's all about properly managing your expectations.

When the early access is opened up the game will be in a state very far from what average joe dayz mod player will want and it will be very far from what Rocket and his team will want.

The reason to open it up will be to see how well the core stuff will work in scale and to get feedback.  My guess is a lot of people will enter this phase with unrealistic expectations and that will cause them to not enjoy the game as much - I bet we'll hear a lot of "the mod is better"

I would expect the early access release to be a real shot of adrenaline to the team and you'll see pretty big gains pretty soon after this - the 6 months after early access will probably be the high water mark in rapid progress.

hang in there

manage your expectations

and you'll be fine

• Like 1

but Miffy is right to some extent. 

with all these Kickstarter and Greenlight games in the last years the lines seem to blur more and more.

Although ppl see the games are basically unfinished/raw in the beginning they also see that many of these games more or less stay in a somewhat unfinished state. so kickstarter projects or something like the DayZ model are double-edged swords to me.

The sad fact is this...Many, many PC games (too many to list) are released in a completely broken state that aren't labelled as 'early access' or 'alpha/beta build'...So many that it has become almost the norm for devs to release unacceptably broken pieces of crap on the PC with next to no post release support.

Essentially, early access has given PC devs a way to release their games in an unoptimised state, with an actual promise that they are going to address the issues. Many of the big publishers just push out a giant turd, rake in as many pre-order sales as they can, maybe release one patch and call it a day...

More and more games are being fixed by the gamers themselves these days, which is both awesome and ridiculous at the same time.

All I expect from the DayZ SA is something a bit more polished and less broken than the mod is/was. They can keep fixing things and adding more content as they go, as long as it is basically stable and playable as a survival sim I am good to go.

Edited by soapmak3r
  • Like 3

So reddit found this: http://h-werke.tumblr.com/

Says on the page that he is working on DayZ.

*snip*

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1rcfpt/rocket_mentioned_the_guy_who_did_the_mosin/

holy crap, this picture looks really similar to the one displaying the mosin. 

tumblr_mvgs5dyAux1rba1sro1_500.jpg

GAH these are so badass! :D if they're in dayZ then i am a happy bunny indeed!

• Like 2

holy crap, this picture looks really similar to the one displaying the mosin. 

tumblr_mvgs5dyAux1rba1sro1_500.jpg

GAH these are so badass! :D if they're in dayZ then i am a happy bunny indeed!

The Road anyone?

• Like 4

The Road anyone?

speaking of movies, if they add the mad max leather jacket and shoulder-pad i will not be able to contain my erection

• Like 1

speaking of movies, if they add the mad max leather jacket and shoulder-pad i will not be able to contain my erection

In a jacket !!!!

Oh the irony, a LeMat? Really?

Hope that one doesn't make it to DayZ (it seems unlikely). Normally, I'm an advocate of weapon variety and all that jazz. But the LeMat is really just an antique piece at this point. Roughly 2,900 were ever produced, lord knows how many have actually survived two centuries of the world turning. Hence why they're so valuable and collectible. I supposed it'd be plausible for it to be a modern replica of a LeMat, but there are so many more plausible weapons (Plausible as in fictionally plausible, as it's much more reasonable to have a NATO intervention sprinkling AR-15's in a foreign country than having a crowd of Wild-West memorabilia collectors sprinkle LeMats in Chernarus during a zombie apocalypse).

Nagant Revolver would be great. Surprised we haven't seen it to be honest. I don't much care for revolvers, however.

Edited by Katana67

Hope that one doesn't make it to DayZ (it seems unlikely).

Nah, doubt it. There are quite a lot of different games listed under his upcoming projects page, including one called Battle Cry of Freedom.

• Like 1

Oh the irony, a LeMat? Really?

Hope that one doesn't make it to DayZ (it seems unlikely). Normally, I'm an advocate of weapon variety and all that jazz. But the LeMat is really just an antique piece at this point. Roughly 2,900 were ever produced, lord knows how many have actually survived two centuries of the world turning. Hence why they're so valuable and collectible. I supposed it'd be plausible for it to be a modern replica of a LeMat, but there are so many more plausible weapons (Plausible as in fictionally plausible, as it's much more reasonable to have a NATO intervention sprinkling AR-15's in a foreign country than having a crowd of Wild-West memorabilia collectors sprinkle LeMats in Chernarus during a zombie apocalypse).

Nagant Revolver would be great. Surprised we haven't seen it to be honest. I don't much care for revolvers, however.

i really don't care about plausability when it comes to this sort of thing. it matters more to me to just have a variety of weapons rather than worrying about if they could actually be there.

i really don't care about plausability when it comes to this sort of thing. it matters more to me to just have a variety of weapons rather than worrying about if they could actually be there.

People's definitions of plausible vary, and I do believe that believability should trump (but not rule out) pure variety. Some believe it's implausible to have an AR-15 in a supposed (albeit fictional) former Soviet state. I don't believe that it's implausible at all, especially given the fictional nature of DayZ.

However, the line is drawn for me at weapons that wholly bring me out of the experience. For instance, when I saw the WA2000 in MW2 (after coming off of CoD4) I was pretty bummed, because less than 200 of those were made, each one costs more than a BMW, and they're used primarily as collector's pieces. The LeMat is not only highly antiquated by today's standards (which alone is not enough to dismiss it entirely), it was very rare in the time it was produced (150 years ago), and is also implausible in the sense of "Why it's there". Now, granted, this is just another example (as it is certainly apparent that the LeMat isn't a likely inclusion in DayZ).

I hesitate to use the "laser weapons" analogy, which isn't totally applicable. But there is a line of plausibility which strengthens the experience of the game rather than just putting weapons in randomly.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

Nah, doubt it. There are quite a lot of different games listed under his upcoming projects page, including one called Battle Cry of Freedom.

That's some nice sleuthing there, I think we can consider this one settled.

• Like 1

What were some of the highlights of the stream last night?

2rokhah.png

• Like 6

snip

OMG i can totally see an orb right in the middle of the screen!

Edited by joe_mcentire