SmashT

September Round-up: DevBlog, #DayZDaily, PAX, GDC China

Ok so I have been avoiding the forums for a while because frankly I have gotten a bit sick of being told one thing and then another happening.

Most people (especially Fraggle) will know I am a fan of the game, and Dean as a whole, but I have been openly critical of the way in which this project has been managed.

But the blind rage and hate flinging about it just a bit annoying. People are being pig headed on both sides. It has been just over year if I am correct since Dean announced it would become a standalone. Please keep some objectivity while discussing the topic.

I am going to be honest, BI made a mistake, and despite his talents and vision Dean is and was not ready to lead a project of this size. Not due to lack of skill as a programmer/game dev, but management of an entire project is a huge task. Sometimes it takes a project manager with slightly less emotional investment to make sure these things stay on track. At the moment things seem rather chaotic. Don’t get me wrong there is a flipside to that when you have an outside body influencing the release of the game that has too much power. (look at sega and rome2, what a bunch of crap that was).

The issue is Dean has too much to focus on, and because he doesn’t trust anyone else its impacting on the timeline of the game, he NEEDS to be more flexible. He should be able to devote his time wholly to the game, but can’t, and keeps making promises like daily updates etc which he ultimately ends up flaking out on. This is not only damaging his reputation but its going to have a negative impact on the game and those who will buy it. He can’t adopt the “it will be ready when its ready” approach anymore, it just isn’t viable and will set him up for a flop. Interest will wane, and people will forget about it, and ultimately it makes him and the team seem lazy. Dean had a unique selling point before, he doesn’t anymore, there are zombie survival games left right and centre now. There is always value in taking your time and doing things right, but it is also of critical importance to try and get things done within a time frame.

The game will be amazing regardless, but he will lose money and a large portion of his player base if he doesn’t really start getting his team in gear. Superfically ( and to those who don’t realise the work done on the game) it is simply a tarted up version of the mod, with still very broken zombies. It’s going to piss off a lot of people if it is released with the game in such a state.

Gamers are fickle and hate being lied to, even unintentionally and I think suddenly going MIA is just going to further exacerbate the shit slinging.  I don’t deny this game is a massive project, but at the same time although a massive amount of work has gone into pretty much redoing the engine, it was still a basis from which to work, and understandably people are starting to doubt the amount of work actually being done due to what seems like a snail paced development.

Ultimately it will be an amazing game, but I truly feel Dean needs to salvage something of his reputation and try and quicken the pace of development before people lose all interest in it. Bigger and better funded studios are going to be picking up on the genre and if he doesn’t move he will get very quickly muscled out. 

Edited by triggy89
  • Like 3

You posted the 18th reference from the article that I posted here so apparently you found it pretty useful. Anyone can check this if they look back to the original wiki article and check reference number 18. It is the same article that Wayze posted after he said my article was useless. Apparently it's not that useless as you are using it for your claims.

Also, I posted the article here which is what caused you to start harassing me in the first place. So why would I need to post it again? Anyone that wants can look back to the previous page at the article I posted.

EDIT: This is not the first time that Wayze has done this to me.  And now, tries to call me out for arguing. 

I didn't even look into the Wikipedia site, I just googled it. You still haven't sent me the article you want me to read. Sorry, that is just childish. I want to believe you but how should I? I refuse to search the Wiki place due to spoilers (haven't played the game yet), so as long as you don't sent me a direct link to the article (what the f*ck is so difficult in that?) I won't be able to hear you out.

And what exactly did I do to you? Call you out for arguing? What the heck? xD

Edited by Wayze

We need a new devblog.

It hasn't even been that long since the last one.

You missed this too, Frags...

4Dafa_zpsbb9c79b2.png

It's looking like there might not be another devblog now until release.

It hasn't even been that long since the last one.

You missed this too, Frags...

It's looking like there might not be another devblog now until release.

Hmmmm, yeh I've been away and missed that.

Well being the eternal optimist that I am I'll take that to mean they're hunkering down for the final push.

If I was a pessimist I'd say they just sucked at communicating or failed to prioritise properly again etc. etc.  but I'm not so let's see I guess.  The next substantial news should be either something to do with a release date or that they've decided they can't get zombies to work in a zombie game and have given up.

Edited by Fraggle

Hmmmm, yeh I've been away and missed that.

Well being the eternal optimist that I am I'll take that to mean they're hunkering down for the final push.

If I was a pessimist I'd say they just sucked at communicating or failed to prioritise properly again etc. etc.  but I'm not so let's see I guess.  The next substantial news should be either something to do with a release date or that they've decided they can't get zombies to work in a zombie game and have given up.

Well in the last devblog Rocket actually mentioned potentially releasing without even having zombies in the initial build. I think they're really, really keen to get it out at this point.

Well in the last devblog Rocket actually mentioned potentially releasing without even having zombies in the initial build. I think they're really, really keen to get it out at this point.

errrrrrr, that would be an even worse move than waiting another 6 months to release. :s

• Like 1

errrrrrr, that would be an even worse move than waiting another 6 months to release. :s

I know, I don't really think it's a good idea either TBH.

They've done all this work introducing mechanics to make people think twice before shooting on sight and then release the game without much else to do.

I would assume (or hope) that it wouldn't be a long wait before they were finished and added.

• Like 1

I know, I don't really think it's a good idea either TBH.

They've done all this work introducing mechanics to make people think twice before shooting on sight and then release the game without much else to do.

I would assume (or hope) that it wouldn't be a long wait before they were finished and added.

I disagree. Better no zods than annoying ghost walking through walls and doors.

New players won't notice that the zombies are not final, they just see them and think "What the hell this games sucks" end of story. And I would really like to see how DayZ plays without the zombies, because I don't think they are really necessary, actually we never had any zombies in the game, just some humans running after you until you run into a house or tree.

I disagree. Better no zods than annoying ghost walking through walls and doors.

New players won't notice that the zombies are not final, they just see them and think "What the hell this games sucks" end of story. And I would really like to see how DayZ plays without the zombies, because I don't think they are really necessary, actually we never had any zombies in the game, just some humans running after you until you run into a house or tree.

I'd rather they just didn't release until the zombies were finished.

• Like 2

As much as I hate to say it, I think they should take the time they need to complete the zombies. I'm assuming that the player base will increase dramatically when the SA arrives and most of those new players won't know much about the project. Of course, those of us who follow the development would understand that the zombies are eventually coming, but I think the average gamer may be turned off by the idea of buying a zombie game with no zombies. Then again, those who don't follow the project may not be able to understand the concept that the "broken" zombies are going to be replaced with new zombies. Seems like the team is in between a rock and a hard place on this one. 

Well releasing without zombies would scare a lot of people out from early alpha :D I would probably buy it though if they just say what we need to test.

I'd rather they just didn't release until the zombies were finished.

Why?

Why?

Because they're an integral part of the game. IMO it would be like releasing without any weapons.

I wonder when people will start calling the DayZ SA the next Duke Nukem Forever?

Edited by Zodiac13

I wonder when people will start calling the DayZ SA the next Duke Nukem Forever?

In 10 years.

Well in the last devblog Rocket actually mentioned potentially releasing without even having zombies in the initial build.

just so that everyone can see what a buch of incapable programmers people are working at Bohemia.

DayZ without zombies ... common ...

Ha! Yeah that probably won't happen anytime in the near future or at least I hope it doesn't. However, when you mentioned this I couldn't help but look into the Duke Nukem Forever debacle. I recommend reading this if nothing else for its entertainment value. There are actually some eerie similarities between the projects. Luckily for DayZ and BIS they have this model as an example of how it's NOT done. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Duke_Nukem_Forever

EDIT: I highly recommend the Conflict With Take Two 2003-2006 section.

Edited by DrGonzo

Because they're an integral part of the game. IMO it would be like releasing without any weapons.

So just because you don't like something thousands maybe even hundreds of thousand people have to wait? And why would it be like releasing without any weapons, in DayZ Mod it kind of worked from the beginning. There were never real zombies, not even close.

Edited by Wayze

The whole point of an open alpha test is to test though right? If they decided they needed to stress test the core functionality without extra variables (in this case zombies), then what of it? The same can be said for weapons..

I think people are expecting a retail release and really need to lower their expectations.

Edited by CapricornOne
  • Like 2

The whole point of an open alpha test is to test though right? If they decided they needed to stress test the core functionality without extra variables (in this case zombies), then what of it? The same can be said for weapons..

I think people are expecting a retail release and really need to lower their expectations.

Hmmm... I see what you're saying but I would only pay $.99 for a DayZ without weapons or zombies.

I would rather they take another year and make the zombies right than release SA without them. I agree with mZLY on this one. DayZ isn't DayZ without zombies.

They could rename it The Road and get rid of the zombies altogether. I'm sure it's crossed their minds. 

They aren't releasing it without zombies though. They are maybe releasing the alpha alpha without zombies. The game won't be released for at least another year.

Don't consider whatever will be on Steam a "release" as such. :)

Edited by Terrorviktor