SmashT

E3 Expo - June 2013 - Interviews and Gameplay

Honestly, they could probably have finished most of the small 1-2 story buildings in a few days.

lol, no.

None of the existing towns were going to be drastically different in terms of layout. We always knew there would be new locations like "Novoselki" and the existing ones would be slightly altered and building made enterable. I don't know why this comes as suprise to people. It's called Chernarus+ for a reason.

And still you complain about it.

I wasn't complaining?

The layout of Vybor didn't even change that much. Some buildings were just moved a block in some different direction. Not very exciting; it still has the same exact buildings, just in slightly different locations.

The "Not very exciting" part may have come off as complaining but I wasn't. The terrain and ground textures have vastly improved, same with the building textures.

I wasn't complaining?

The "Not very exciting" part may have come off as complaining but I wasn't. The terrain and ground textures have vastly improved, same with the building textures.

Yes, that was why I posted my comment.

Ah, well a simple misunderstanding then. :) My mistake.

Cheers!

I personally love how it currently looks, and is very excited about its development.

• Like 3

I'm glad that the game is being released in tiers.

People who take issue with bugs inherent to games in the alpha stage of development will be able to wait til later stages of development to make their choice.

Edited by Very Ape
  • Like 2

Aye.

I also really like the idea to let us buy into the alpha to be able to test it out at a much larger scale.

Now all I want to know is when I can throw my money at them.

Concerning the animations, I don't like them. I think it's an horrible idea to have get rid of the transitions between animations, because it was what gave the sense of "weight" and therefore a lot of the immersion came from this. Now everytime you look at your character moving, it feels terribly "gamey", it feels like there's no acceleration in the movements, it feels like an old game like quake or doom, not like a hyperrealistic game wher you have to carefully walk through the environment.

I feel precisely the opposite way.

With the handling of ArmA in DayZ, I've always felt disconnection from the character.

The "weight" you mention always felt sluggish, unresponsive and robotic. Not what I want from a high-tension experience.

i think this is honestly a good point both people made.

on one hand, it is nice to be able to interrupt animations, and some things are more fluid and smoother.

on the other hand, the character indeed feels way too fast and agile. i really dont want it to become like COD where people run around like mad, use unrealistic tactics to circle strafe you... DayZ is not a twitchy shooter. the character indeed needs to have some weight onto him, strategic decisions have to be made, and shooting should be something that needs your full attention, time, and makes you vulnerable.

streamlinging things just to make some things easier does not make it necessarily good. the difficulty in aiming and maneuvring your character added a very special tactical layer to the mod. you weren't able to just run around and gather kills by simply having quick reactions, and not having any aiming/tactical skills. in dayZ, the brighter/more veteran player survives. because he has knowledge. in COD, only the player with the quickest reaction wins, and whitout using any tactics. the game becomes really boring that way, as John gibson, (the president of tripwire, which created red orchestra) pointed out in this article.

although i am pretty sure they will balance the movement, it defenitely is in rockets interest to remain authentic and tactical, so i think they will find the perfect mix of not being too clunky, but also not becoming a twitchy dull mainstream shooter experience.

Edited by Wep0n
  • Like 6

As long as they don't implement the whole 'Hold a button to raise your weapon' idea i'm not concerned. I wouldn't mind if it was something you toggled and then if you moved the weapon dropped and you had to re-toggle it but 'holding space' or whatever to use your weapon would be just annoying after a while.

offtopic: i may be wrong but i hear hyenas outside..please call 112 if you're in europe i need help

Edited by joe_mcentire

i think this is honestly a good point both people made.

on one hand, it is nice to be able to interrupt animations, and some things are more fluid and smoother.

on the other hand, the character indeed feels way too fast and agile. i really dont want it to become like COD where people run around like mad, use unrealistic tactics to circle strafe you... DayZ is not a twitchy shooter. the character indeed needs to have some weight onto him, strategic decisions have to be made, and shooting should be something that needs your full attention, time, and makes you vulnerable.

streamlinging things just to make some things easier does not make it necessarily good. the difficulty in aiming and maneuvring your character added a very special tactical layer to the mod. you weren't able to just run around and gather kills by simply having quick reactions, and not having any aiming/tactical skills. in dayZ, the brighter/more veteran player survives. because he has knowledge. in COD, only the player with the quickest reaction wins, and whitout using any tactics. the game becomes really boring that way, as John gibson, (the president of tripwire, which created red orchestra) pointed out in this article.

although i am pretty sure they will balance the movement, it defenitely is in rockets interest to remain authentic and tactical, so i think they will find the perfect mix of not being too clunky, but also not becoming a twitchy dull mainstream shooter experience.

You put my feelings into words; it's the weight of your character that does it for me, and has always appealed to me in Arma.

I also hope they do something about the speed of the character in standalone. It seems a bit too quick in that video.

Edited by Very Ape
  • Like 1

People who cannot grasp the shocking concept that an un-released mid dev game wont look nice and pretty probably wont bother us after the alpha's release anyway, those that do will think it's a terrible full release and move along. So yay.

Edited by Maze

Another comment I'd like to make about the inventory; it's functionality is not well thought out at all. Every time you want to pick up an item you have to drag it all the way across your entire screen. Back and forth every time.

Well giving the assumption it's the same as in Arma 3 right-clicking will do the job too. If not so it's probably easy to implement i guess

I feel like I should add, what I dislike about the ArmA movement is the constant feeling that characters lack any kind of agility.

Given the drastic difference in the E3 video, I assume they're going to extremes initially so they can dial things back to find a reasonable compromise.

At least, I hope that's the idea.

Well giving the assumption it's the same as in Arma 3 right-clicking will do the job too. If not so it's probably easy to implement i guess

a yeah good old gumm...always has a "rant" on hand but if you give him some arguments he goes into silent mode. no constructive criticism whatsoever...what a waste Gordon R. would say

Edited by joe_mcentire

Yeah, I kinda loled when I saw the inventory. People have been raving about how functional it is and how you have to experience it to see how much better it makes the game

Then, when we finally get to see a showcase of the newest build, even the dev can't use it properly because interfacing with it is so awkward

Seriously, "managing expectations"

And what's with that font? It would literally take less than 15 minutes to replace it, I don't know why rocket is so intent on keeping a completely unprofessional looking font. Alpha doesn't mean "it has to look ugly"

Then you have those animations (I'm only looking at the animations, detached from any gameplay). I mean they're not super terrible, but not exactly good either

Are they going to redo the whole mocap process again? If yes, why not do it properly the first time?

They really, really shouldn't release the game in this state. Especially not on steam.

I mean, what the hell, don't put it on steam (early access) where millions of players see it if you don't actually want to have that many players at the beginning as you keep saying

First impressions can make or break something. Especially in DayZ's case. People usually don't know much about other alpha games when they first release, so only fans and / or hardcore gamers buy them. But EVERYBODY knows DayZ. A lot of more casual-oriented players know about it and wait for it

And I have to agree that the whole "It's an alpha" thing doesn't really work that well. There are a lot of games that look and play awesome even in alpha. Think early versions of ksp, zomboid, minecraft, prison architect and all those games. People have played these alpha-games and have certain expectations of quality for other indev games

They should release the alpha... Whoever is not happy should not buy it ever or until they are happy with the progress the team is making with it...

I am buying it Day 1, been waiting so long for it, I don't care what state it's in lol, I just want to play the game, without hackers.

• Like 2

Pretty pleased with what I saw, taking consideration that this is an Alpha and I understand that this will be buggy as hell. I would gladly purchase this on day 1 as long as I get it cheap. :)

Oh, my... this makes me happy:

Q: So, what's the aim for the loot spawn rate?

On a scale from 1 to 10:

1 = "Should I take the Red Beans or the White Beans? And for dessert, cookies or cupcakes? - Should I take the M4 or the AK? With Acog or Holo sight?"

10 = "Thank god, an unopened can. I've eaten nothing but berries and roots for days. - Finally a revolver bullet, my hatchet's getting dull."

Also, Happy Cakeday!

A: 10

EDIT: Someone made a comparison map of the Chernarus shown in the vid and the current Arma 2 one. Seems like there are loads of more roads up north. What else?

http://i.imgur.com/P1Ym1GW.gif

Edited by Terrorviktor
  • Like 5

And Dean is saying all the time that Chernarus is 260km² so they have already expanded it some way or he doesn't remember that Chernarus is 225km². Btw Arma 3 Altis is 270km²

Oh, my... this makes me happy:

EDIT: Someone made a comparison map of the Chernarus shown in the vid and the current Arma 2 one. Seems like there are loads of more roads up north. What else?

http://i.imgur.com/P1Ym1GW.gif

the long road going almost linear on the left side of the map...is this a tunnel?!

Edited by joe_mcentire

This posted in the announcements forum for some reason...

First thing that struck me about the E3 footage... the distant zombie "hits" look worse than ever. I understand it's an early build, but zombie damage needs to be improved a lot. I like the animations, but hate that zombies still just magically "afflict" damage to you without any sense of contact.

That, and EVERYTHING still clips, zombies still jump through buildings and fall through the ground. That type of stuff really breaks immersion for me. I could live with it in the mod, but not necessarily in the SA. Again, I recognize that this is an early build, hence why it is prudent to outline these issues now rather than later.

EDIT - Just read Rocket's reddit explanation of zombies doing damage, very hopeful and glad to have a bit of clarity.

The animations look good, but I'm not sure I like the way they're going. The "hold the weapon by the forearm" one is interesting, but your character shoots like a five year old with a Red Ryder. I assume this is in an effort to make our characters less "military" and more "civilian". Which I'm not sure I am in agreement with personally, as it doesn't reflect the player's skill so much as it just makes everyone look like they don't know how to fire their weapon. I can only hope that they have some sort of "progression" as has been suggested, whereby a player gradually learns how to hold his/her weapon and this is reflected in the animations.

I would think a very basic backstory would need to be created as to why a person has survived the initial zombie outbreak on Chernarus to even wind up alive on the shore in the first place. Whether it's through guile, previous experience, trial and error, military training, etc. Perhaps allow the player to choose things like this? Which would reflect in the animations/behaviors of your character. I am hesitant to suggest something like this, as it is a pretty conventional RPG trope and may not be in the spirit of DayZ. But, I think they need to clearly specify "why" they're doing something, because if it's to make everything look "more civilian", I think they might be going a tad overboard.

Edited by Katana67

finally one more video of dayz standalone :D .

enterable buildings, great! crafting, awesome! some villages redone, nice....

criticism:

• animations awful :( (there are a few situations you get hit before the animation or even get hit while the zombie is 10m far away from you, running animations look to fast (small very fast steps))
  • did you say no crosshair?
  • add an option to make quickbar invisible please, this is more interface than in the current arma2 mod

I really do not like the new movement at all. It has less momentum and it twitches often. I don't like the counter-strike cross-hair or the cheap attempt to make the gun-play more like it, either.

This looks more like WarZ than it does DayZ, and that's awful.

Crap, so it wasn't just me. I felt there was something Warz-ish about it. The movement, the looks, etc.

• Like 3

The animations look good, but I'm not sure I like the way they're going. The "hold the weapon by the forearm" one is interesting, but your character shoots like a five year old with a Red Ryder. I assume this is in an effort to make our characters less "military" and more "civilian". Which I'm not sure I am in agreement with personally, as it doesn't reflect the player's skill so much as it just makes everyone look like they don't know how to fire their weapon. I can only hope that they have some sort of "progression" as has been suggested, whereby a player gradually learns how to hold his/her weapon and this is reflected in the animations.

Good idea! Exactly what I was thinking. I was a tad miffed at some of the anims but this idea could work a treat.

• Like 2

Only thing that will be said is that this is Alpha, this is not the final release. Once we work though all of this and the game continues to evolve, it gets better and better as more things can be handled.

I won't tell your crictism is useless or your support is blindness because that is a waste of time. You have an opinion and that is what matters to you.

For right now, my view is that its alpha it needs work, but it is in the direction for a better good, and imo seems no different then Minecraft did as it evolved.

Now if they came out and pulled the same moves as the War Z did, then I would be angry and leave this game. But that's not going to happen so I rather just wait and see has this evovles over time.

• Like 1