SmashT

E3 Expo - June 2013 - Interviews and Gameplay

kay..see you then when you "suddenly" like the SA ;)

Don't hold your breath. I'll probably spend my time on current generation titles and leave this far behind. The Division is looking like it will wipe the floor with this game.

• Like 1

Don't hold your breath. I'll probably spend my time on current generation titles and leave this far behind. The Division is looking like it will wipe the floor with this game.

hardly ;)

PS4 exclusive and from its size not comparable

Edited by joe_mcentire

I'm hugely happy with most of it. It looks great. The zombies well...they need to be better, it's what makes the game what it is. I was really hoping they would be slower but more determined. I know the game is nowhere near finished, but they need to fix those zeds :S

hardly ;)

PS4 exclusive and from its size not comparable

Um, are you aware of how big New York is? It also isn't exclusive to PS4.

I'm not sure what division has in common with dayz. gameplay looks more like gears of war.

Really expected to see better animations but these were just awful.

nah the animations are fine, but they don't quite match the movement speed.

Edited by Bat

Um, are you aware of how big New York is? It also isn't exclusive to PS4.

In the trailer, when the map zooms out, it's clearly smaller than it looks.

I would hope that they'd recreate the entirety of NYC, but it's unlikely. Don't get your hopes up.

They're different games. The Division goes nowhere near recreating the intensity of firefights in Arma and DayZ; they're gamey, like in Gears of War. I still do, however, look forward to playing it-- but not as any replacement to DayZ, because I acknowledge that they're different games with clearly very different ideas.

DayZ's looking great, I really look forward to playing it-- Thank you devs!

Edited by Very Ape

I admit to feeling some what underwhelmed by the footage (I've had apprehensions about the new zombie animation since the mo-cap devblog) but all this angst and animostiy seems a bit preemptive. Personally I think that managing expectations is what Rocket and team may be trying to do. (And weeding out the

;) )
  • Like 1

Man, it scares me to even think about what this place is going to look like when the alpha is released. After a relatively short video people are already complaining about everything you could possibly complain about. "Same buildings, only enterable", seriously?

Anyway, the animations and the movement of the character doesn't look pretty on first sight. I guess we'll have to wait and see what it feels like during gameplay. I wouldn't mind slightly ugly transitions between animations if it improves character responsiveness in crucial situations. Another thing is we're so used to the way the character moves in ARMA 2 that everything else is going to look weird at first. ARMA 3 animations and character control seemed and looked funky to me until I got used to it and now it feels better than ARMA 2. The fact that they didn't simply leave everything they way it was in ARMA 2, and they easily could have, but instead they made a new skeleton and are redoing all animations cleary shows they think it's an important aspect of the game so no worries there for me. More likely than not they will get it "right" somewhere down the road.

Like in the previous screenshots, the UI doesn't look nice but the functionality is there. How can anyone say this is not an improvement over the mod is beyond me. I'm guessing you CAN double click on items on the left to automatically add them to your inventory so you don't have to drag every single item all the time, right? I like how we can consume items without ever taking and putting them into the inventory. Crafting looks nice and opens up tons of possibilities. Motorbike helmets look as silly as ever and hopefully will be more rare than rocket thinks they should be ;)

The biggest disappointment for me was zombie attacks and how they still hit you without really being anywhere near you but thankfully rocket has addressed that. They'll probably still be buggy and glitchy but even in the leaked videos of the older build, they looked much better than what we currently have in the mod.

• Like 6

I would hope that they'd recreate the entirety of NYC, but it's unlikely. Don't get your hopes up.

They're different games. The Division goes nowhere near recreating the intensity of firefights in Arma and DayZ; they're gamey, like in Gears of War. I still do, however, look forward to playing it-- but not as any replacement to DayZ, because I acknowledge that they're different games with clearly very different ideas.

It looks big enough to be comparable to Chernarus.

Edited by ninjaontour

I'm not sure what division has in common with dayz. gameplay looks more like gears of war.

nah the animations are fine, but they don't quite match the movement speed.

There's a cover system, is that your GoW reference? You saw a couple of minutes of footage, behave yourself and stop making baseless assumptions.

How can you tell from a few minutes of gameplay footage with AI squadmates. Also the only thing it has in common with Gears of War is the TPS and cover system.

Wow somewhat baseless assumptions are being thrown all over the place and from both ends!

Edited by Zarniwoop
  • Like 7

I cannot comprehend why people are complaining.

I see great-looking urban environments,

I stopped reading here. Take off you fan boy goggles and try again.

Badly optimized assets that look 2-3 generations old with a litle touch up on textures does not a "great-looking environment" make.

Guys, you do know that if you now hate this so much after seeing placeholders and what not. You can leave this forum?

Yes, it didn't look brilliant. Yes, it's an updated engine from the old one. Yes, the placeholders makes it look hilariously bad.

But it's still placeholders. It will not be like that when this is released for the whole public. (As in being finished)

How can you tell from a few minutes of gameplay footage with AI squadmates. Also the only thing it has in common with Gears of War is the TPS and cover system.

It's just that; the cover system. It makes firefights ridiculously easy, and often non-dependent on actual tactics. Nowhere near the anxiety-inducing firefights of Arma.

I stopped reading here. Take off you fan boy goggles and try again.

Badly optimized assets that look 2-3 generations old with a litle touch up on textures does not a "great-looking environment" make.

I'm referring to the layout of the new areas and buildings, and the fact that they're enterable. The towns feel more authentic; it's not quite shown as well in this video, though.

I'll certainly be spending much more time in Vybor than I did in the mod.

I couldn't care less about graphics.

Edited by Very Ape

The layout of Vybor didn't even change that much. Some buildings were just moved a block in some different direction. Not very exciting; it still has the same exact buildings, just in slightly different locations.

Which we've known for a long time.

They were just gonna update the map a little tiny bit. Not make a new one.

Geez. It's almost like you guys know nothing about the SA.

The sheer amount of enterable buildings added must have taken quite a bit of work

Not as much as you would think. There are only so many building models in the game and once they complete one, it can be copied over the existing old buildings. Honestly, they could probably have finished most of the small 1-2 story buildings in a few days.

The layout of Vybor didn't even change that much. Some buildings were just moved a block in some different direction. Not very exciting; it still has the same exact buildings, just in slightly different locations.

And they're enterable! No longer are they just big blocks to hide around; players will have to loot every, single house they can to find gear.

I really, really am excited to have to sift through hundreds of buildings in order to find the scattered loot, instead of it being concentrated in a few select buildings. It will make looting feel more immersive, and scavenging becomes a bigger task. Imagine looking through the many rooms of those houses with aggro! It's possible in the mod because loot is concentrated in tiny little piles.

Now, beware of zombies!

Edited by Very Ape

Which we've known for a long time.

They were just gonna update the map a little tiny bit. Not make a new one.

Geez. It's almost like you guys know nothing about the SA.

Adding new towns, cities, a swamp, a wrecked cargo ship, two new islands, and expanding Cherno/Elektro is updating the map "a little tiny bit"?

Geez, it's almost like you know nothing about the SA.

Adding new towns, cities, a swamp, a wrecked cargo ship, two new islands, and expanding Cherno/Elektro is updating the map "a little tiny bit"?

And still you complain about it.

Edited by DaveAzoicer
  • Like 1

It's almost like you have no idea how simple that would have been.