rocket

No DevBlog this week but here is some screens

i like how the inventory is arranged. i hope there will be added some background(-style) in a future patch.

Possibly we will add more graphical goodness, but my preference would be to build a system where people load their own skins onto it.

• Like 16

Possibly we will add more graphical goodness, but my preference would be to build a system where people load their own skins onto it.

Superb. User choice is key IMHO. Make it so.

L

• Like 8

Looking good. The inventory/UI does need a bit more visual polish even if functionality is obviously most important at this point. That font needs to go :)

agreed, but surely visal polish is as easy as slapping a skin on it? Getting it functional/ in the right place is essential, then the aesthetics surely will take next to no time.

edit: sorry just saw the above posts.

Edited by triggy89

Now that is the mindset I love to hear!

Thanks for sharing, I appreciate any little thing you can share! Too excited to play ;)

agreed, but surely visal polish is as easy as slapping a skin on it? Getting it functional/ in the right place is essential, then the aesthetics surely will take next to no time.

edit: sorry just saw the above posts.

I have yet to see a proposed inventory screen that works under all the requirements for game UI, such as 16:9 and 4:3, scaling, lack of additive effects (photoshop is great but our UI can't do that). All the proposals look great but their technical implementation is a major, major issue.

Then there is usability, some of them are just unnecessarily complex.

And finally, there is game complexity. It's just too difficult to work with a visually stunning design when you have to change and alter it every ten minutes.

• Like 4

Do you people think that those pictures look dull and dark? Here's a solution: adjust your gamma and brightness in your graphics card settings or adjust them in some photo edit program and feel the big difference. I can post the difference later if I don't need to use any picture editing program other than paint :P

thats what we where waiting for dean a bit of forum love beans for you

Do you people think that those pictures look dull and dark? Here's a solution: adjust your gamma and brightness in your graphics card settings or adjust them in some photo edit program and feel the big difference. I can post the difference later if I don't need to use any picture editing program other than paint :P

I don't like to doctor screenshots from the game so that people get a realistic view of what we have.

• Like 9

I never knew so many DayZ players were all about aesthetics. I thought we were all more about the "game" over looks. But I suppose not. TBH, the inventory is fine. The font is fine (feels RE to me over anything, which is nice.)

Wait, people are complaining about font too? Do we all remember what the current inventory looks like? This is much better than Arma 2 and 3...

This is simple, clean, effective. I don't want to be oogling my pretty UI when I should be scavaging. It's very distracting.

Edited by evoxtom
  • Like 7

keep 'em comin' :) . maybe one or two prior asked questions? any hints?

The new environments look stunning, I really look forward to trekking across Chernarus again.

One thing I was wondering about the vicinity tab, you say we have to search under beds/etc to find things, how does obfuscation work with this?

Can you just stand on the bed for instance and loot blind underneath it?

Edited by Kra

I don't like to doctor screenshots from the game so that people get a realistic view of what we have.

I was implicating that you can do that in your game options also so it's not cheating. Just keep them in the same level in all pictures to get a real picture. Gamma and brightness does some difference.

I have yet to see a proposed inventory screen that works under all the requirements for game UI, such as 16:9 and 4:3, scaling, lack of additive effects (photoshop is great but our UI can't do that). All the proposals look great but their technical implementation is a major, major issue.

Then there is usability, some of them are just unnecessarily complex.

And finally, there is game complexity. It's just too difficult to work with a visually stunning design when you have to change and alter it every ten minutes.

I think you misunderstood where I was shooting from, or I misunderstood your post :P it was simply a retort to a previous poster, ie I meant visual polish is something to come last (didn’t make that clear enough in my post, I didn’t mean slapping something on it visually pleasing now!) and should be relatively easy to do once the functionality etc have been solved.

When its been settled on what's best, tarting it up shouldn’t take too long.

Edited by triggy89

Well, at the very least I hope other community efforts (as well as my own attempt) on making the UI look pretty have inspired some 'functionality' decisions.

• Like 3

Hey Dean, this is very off topic. But in light of all the stupid stuff people have been saying about you and your team, the font on the game, and the UI in the game, I wanted to show you this: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/16188-my-apology-to-rocket-maybe-yours-too/#entry162976

That happened a long time ago. I hope you don't remember me, and if you do, sorry again. Ever since that day where I tore you a new one and you actually replied to my complaints, I've really respected all of your work. I hope in the coming years you make the money you deserve. Until I verbally get a reply out of you, I'll just keep trying to get your attention on this. (No, I won't post in this thread again, but I'll try to contact you on your twitter or something) Ever since I said those really mean and unwarrented things, I've felt kind of bad. I hope you are having a good day and that all of the little stupid things never get to you, like us.

Well, at the very least I hope other community efforts (as well as my own attempt) on making the UI look pretty have inspired some 'functionality' decisions.

It looks great, but you can't have shading on the items (yet!), The graphics won't scale well, they don't deal with multiple containers, there is no penalty to the player visually for opening the inventory.

Just naming a few to give examples, we did go through exhaustively through the design suggestions from everyone - in the end the major inspiration was the original Xcom. I spent three whole weeks going through the community suggestions and posted concepts. I narrowed it down to a few basic layouts and then prototyped. But in the end the simpler the better, especially when it comes to artwork.

• Like 3

Doesn't it undermine the "Scavenging" aspect of looking under tables and chairs if one can just kneel down and see everything in his/her viscinity?

Doesn't it undermine the "Scavenging" aspect of looking under tables and chairs if one can just kneel down and see everything in his/her viscinity?

You only see in the vicinity box what you can actually see from your position. I.e. what is not obscured in your view.

• Like 12

You only see in the vicinity box what you can actually see from your position. I.e. what is not obscured in your view.

Oh gotcha', wouldn't've thought it was LOS. Solid.

That's kinda what I was curious about, I fully understand that it would a bit of a technical hurdle to overcome, and would be amazing for immersion if you had to actually go prone to get otherwise difficult to reach objects.

EDIT: I'm way too slow, thanks for answering Rocket!

Edited by Kra

I think an as minimal-as-possible system would work the best. If you could remove all the little boxes around the items it would make it for me. And make the menu as a whole a little more transparent so that you can see things going on through it if needs be.

I think an as minimal-as-possible system would work the best. If you could remove all the little boxes around the items it would make it for me. And make the menu as a whole a little more transparent so that you can see things going on through it if needs be.

Don't forget, simulation seems to be the aim here, if you're focused on shifting some items into your backpack etc, you're not exactly going to see through that.

Perhaps instead of more transparency make the Alt (or whatever free-look is) temporarily hide the gear menu and allow head movement?

Edited by Kra
  • Like 3